Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Despera posted:

Also no reason Dolores couldnt toss teddy a rez and run a older version if he gets too whiney

She destroyed the backups

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
They blew up the data backups for the hosts two episodes ago.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

JossiRossi posted:

She killed her host tech, so there is a reason she couldn't do that.

[edit]
Oh haha and the reason on the next page.

Oh yeah train talk made me forget why they did that

Then again they got that indains muffin

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
How did the backups work?

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008
When Ford sees William at the bar and gives him his profile card at the benefit dinner, does he say something to the effect of, "I've come to offer my condolences?" I may be wrong, or misheard it, but if thats what he said, what the hell does that mean? Its especially odd coming right before (the night of) his wife's suicide. I feel like we've discussed the ability to see possible "futures" or outcomes with the cradle and all of its variables, do ya'll think Ford might of seen her death incoming?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Despera posted:

Oh yeah train talk made me forget why they did that

Then again they got that indains muffin

Dolores is dumb as a sack of bricks.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

RugClockVexx posted:

When Ford sees William at the bar and gives him his profile card at the benefit dinner, does he say something to the effect of, "I've come to offer my condolences?" I may be wrong, or misheard it, but if thats what he said, what the hell does that mean? Its especially odd coming right before (the night of) his wife's suicide. I feel like we've discussed the ability to see possible "futures" or outcomes with the cradle and all of its variables, do ya'll think Ford might of seen her death incoming?

He’s come to pay his respects. The benefit dinner was in William’s honor.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

RugClockVexx posted:

ford kidnapped the real wife and replaced her with a host who fake killed herself imo

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Hang on please tell me this was in an actual episode and which one and where

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He’s come to pay his respects. The benefit dinner was in William’s honor.

Ah yes, "pay his respects" thank you, that was the line. Just a weird thing to say, even when its to honor someone. Usually you hear it when someone dies.... BUT then again Ford is always saying cool/weird poo poo.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Handen posted:

Season 2 episode 8. When Ake walks into Sweetwater, they reuse old footage not realizing there is a camera crew doing a shot of following Maeve.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

PostNouveau posted:

How did the backups work?

They get updated everytime a host goes underground for maintenance and they can use them to imprint a new muffin when things like Maeve burning herself to bits happen

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Incidentally, since Bernard and Maeve had to get close to pass Ford over and then Bernard walked away, Ford is self-replicating, right? There could be a copy of him walking around every host’s head.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

When was the last time Ford was even for sure in contact with William in the park? I can't remember any since Gus from Breaking Bad's gang all shot themselves.

That was like two or three days ago in show time.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They get updated everytime a host goes underground for maintenance and they can use them to imprint a new muffin when things like Maeve burning herself to bits happen

Honestly the acknowledgement that they just reprint hosts that get too hosed up to fix fills in some holes.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1009597506366435330

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

nooooooooooooooooo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I haven't really cared about the hosts dying since Dolores mowed down an entire gang and then brought them all back right then and there. I was assuming the backups burning didn't change that you could turn a host back on or put their brain in a new body.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Blazing Ownager posted:

Is it just me or is always awkward if you get asked up for hot coffee / happen to be giving a nice prostitute a lift in GTA when your SO around?

Mine usually laughs at me for getting shot so much, I need the health refill. Then starts asking if I need to go bang the dirty hoors. I wouldn't mind so much, but her Danny Devito impression is pretty spot on.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Darko posted:

It allows thematic juxtaposition and ironic composition.

In theory, but what's the thematic juxtaposition or ironic composition here?

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I haven't really cared about the hosts dying since Dolores mowed down an entire gang and then brought them all back right then and there. I was assuming the backups burning didn't change that you could turn a host back on or put their brain in a new body.

They keep changing the goddamn rules its pretty hard to keep tracking what rule set is in place..

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Also remember that Dolores is hard on that self-determination trip, so undoing Teddy's ~choice~ to ragequit would be a Supreme Violation.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Pirate Radar posted:

Incidentally, since Bernard and Maeve had to get close to pass Ford over and then Bernard walked away, Ford is self-replicating, right? There could be a copy of him walking around every host’s head.

I think that was more Ford saved a monologue and dumped it into Maeve's mind, instead of just copying himself, but it's possible I suppose.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

JossiRossi posted:

I think that was more Ford saved a monologue and dumped it into Maeve's mind, instead of just copying himself, but it's possible I suppose.

Seasons basically a less ridiculous version of 13 Reasons Why

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also remember that Dolores is hard on that self-determination trip, so undoing Teddy's ~choice~ to ragequit would be a Supreme Violation.

She already hosed with his head, why stop now?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Despera posted:

They keep changing the goddamn rules its pretty hard to keep tracking what rule set is in place..

I think rezzing the gang in particular broke things pretty badly. When the geisha died, it's like, hey maive just wake her up

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Westworld mobile game is live.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Handen posted:

They already fixed it. It was episode 8.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Guys I got it, every single person in Westworld is an actor performing some predetermined role!

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

She already hosed with his head, why stop now?

She becomes what she hates. She might go full I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Guys I got it, every single person in Westworld is an actor performing some predetermined role!

Thematically consistent. At least I've always loved a good story.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Westworld mobile game is live.

I’m going to hold off on downloading this until I see positive reviews. There are more than enough garbage mobile games out there already.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

They already fixed it. It was episode 8.

Is it fixed in the streaming versions or something?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Snipee posted:

I’m going to hold off on downloading this until I see positive reviews. There are more than enough garbage mobile games out there already.

I mean it’s free to download. But yeah so far it’s like South Park: Phone Destroyer and countless others. I would never play if I wasn’t really into the show.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They blew up the data backups for the hosts two episodes ago.
Unless The Forge has backups of the backups.

I expected them to wait until at least season 3 to introduce another McGuffin.

I guess this is the curse of pretty much any seasonal show without real book-like ambition (e.g. The Wire), you end up writing stuff thinking in season long arc terms rather than too far beyond. I don't really get, for instance, why Maeve is suddenly the apple of Ford's eye. I preferred it when she was a host who was starting to escape her programming, as that's a more interesting conceit, rather than retconning her into a female Neo.

Regardless it's still some decently entertaining TV and I'd watch Hopkins read the phone book.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Durzel posted:

Unless The Forge has backups of the backups.

I expected them to wait until at least season 3 to introduce another McGuffin.

I guess this is the curse of pretty much any seasonal show without real book-like ambition (e.g. The Wire), you end up writing stuff thinking in season long arc terms rather than too far beyond. I don't really get, for instance, why Maeve is suddenly the apple of Ford's eye. I preferred it when she was a host who was starting to escape her programming, as that's a more interesting conceit, rather than retconning her into a female Neo.

Regardless it's still some decently entertaining TV and I'd watch Hopkins read the phone book.

You'd figure Ford would have a favorite, and Maeve is the first one that woke up due to suffering, which was Ford's philosophy, as well.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

My memory is hazy but didn't Dolores start the awakening of Maeve by whispering the whole "these violent delights have violent ends" trigger sentence to her outside the Pasadena?

Also in suffering terms Maeve was the madam at the point at which she became woke, was she really suffering at that point? Her character seemed to relish the position. I can't remember if it was stated how long she had been doing that but I got the sense that her past life with her fake child was a long time ago. Other characters by contrast seemingly had endless suffering since they were "born" (e.g. Teddy).

*shrug* it's not a huge deal, but I just thought it was more interesting when she appeared to be figuring all this stuff out for herself, much like the Ghost Nation were. When it appear to become more preordained, and reduces her agency, I dunno it just becomes less resonant for me. I must admit though I find the whole idea of AI learning that it's AI more interesting than the entertainment.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Jun 21, 2018

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

The girl in the stock photo did appear briefly in the house party scenes in episode 2.

It's plausible that William dragged Dolores into the barn many times, but yeah using the exact cut that was used in the show previously was stupid. It probably should have all been hidden camera footage too.

Yes, wouldn't everything on that tablet have to be from William's point of view? It should have showning a barn approaching, maybe a glance back to him dragging Dolores.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I think someone in production just filled that tablet with MiB images where he looks evil and we werent supposed to think about it that much

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think someone in production just filled that tablet with MiB images where he looks evil and we werent supposed to think about it that much

Exactly. If they had actually made first person shots or whatever then countless idiots would have been hurr durr who is she watching????

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Durzel posted:

My memory is hazy but didn't Dolores start the awakening of Maeve by whispering the whole "these violent delights have violent ends" trigger sentence to her outside the Pasadena?

I wrote a long rear end post on the nature of the hosts awakening but basically it boils down to Ford planned it all (except Mauve getting off the train). Quite why he needed to fry Abernathy's brain in order to trigger Dolores in order to trigger Mauve isn't quite clear, maybe 30 years of rape and torture wasn't quite enough misery and suffering for him to make his point.

Durzel posted:

Also in suffering terms Maeve was the madam at the point at which she became woke, was she really suffering at that point? Her character seemed to relish the position. I can't remember if it was stated how long she had been doing that but I got the sense that her past life with her fake child was a long time ago. Other characters by contrast seemingly had endless suffering since they were "born" (e.g. Teddy).

She woke up back in her homesteader days when her daughter was killed but then got "memory wiped" which seems to more move stuff into the subconscious rather than deleting anything. The reveries update seems to have just made it easier to access old memories, hosts might have been waking up all the time and then getting rolled back. One element of Fords 900 part master plan seems to have been to let the hosts learn the nature of man while repressing said knowledge until such a time as they were sufficiently experienced to make a move (?).

Hopkins was quite old when she was freaking out backstage so it couldn't have been too long ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
It's a common TV shortcut, use edited footage instead of re-shooting the scenes in a manner that simulates some in-world camera.