Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah most times the coverage of any minor league team is just a quick recap of the game they played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I just finished reading Upon Further Review, which is a book where a bunch of people wrote about what-ifs in sport, and it's mostly pretty good, but Jon Bois' chapter, entitled "What If Basketball Rims Were Smaller than Than Basketballs?", is one of the funniest things I've ever read in my life

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Howard Bryant was on Fresh Air yesterday talking about his book Heritage on the history of black athlete activism. I found the whole interview fascinating, but particularly the part about the decline of activism from about the 80's- 2012(MJ, OJ, Tiger, etc.).
I found this quote pretty fascinating:

quote:

BRYANT: Well, it's actually a very funny story. And this is how I describe it in the book. (Reading) It was also 1997, the 50th anniversary of Jackie Robinson entering the majors. The foundation contacted Woods asking him to participate in the celebration at a Mets game side by side with Rachel Robinson. Woods demurred. He said he was busy. He said he had an overwhelming number of commitments to his sponsor, Nike. Tiger Woods stiffed Rachel Robinson. Frustrated but undeterred, the foundation looked down the lineup card and went to the bullpen, skipped the eighth inning setup guy and went straight to the closer, not Michael Jordan or Arnold Palmer or Jack Nicholas but the most powerful man in the free world - President Bill Clinton.

The president called Tiger Woods personally, and Woods told him the same thing. Thanks for the call, Mr. President, but I'm swamped. Tiger, Bill Clinton said, what commitments? I'm the president of the United States. Who do I have to call? I think I can get you out of them. Tiger held firm, giving President Clinton the stiff arm as well. The president offered to send an Air Force jet to deliver him to Shea Stadium. Instead, Woods was in Mexico partying with his friends on the beach.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
I read an article once that basically said "Michael Jordan might not have actually said 'Republicans buy shoes too', but he hasn't done much to dispel the notion that that's what he believes"

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

I read an article once that basically said "Michael Jordan might not have actually said 'Republicans buy shoes too', but he hasn't done much to dispel the notion that that's what he believes"

Hasn't Michael been fairly vocal post-retirement? I thought I remembered him supporting the Eric Garner protest with the I can't breathe shirts

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Hasn't Michael been fairly vocal post-retirement? I thought I remembered him supporting the Eric Garner protest with the I can't breathe shirts

My memory of it was a pretty mealy mouthed solution is somewhere in the middle kind of thing. I think he helped set up a foundation to Foster "communication" between at risk youth and the police or something like that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Scaramouche posted:

My memory of it was a pretty mealy mouthed solution is somewhere in the middle kind of thing. I think he helped set up a foundation to Foster "communication" between at risk youth and the police or something like that.

Pretty much. The gesture was nice, but he's not really that vocal about anything these days.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Jon Heyman, in light of the domestic abuse allegations against Roberto Osuna, wonders when Osuna will be able to return to the team, instead of, you know, the domestic abuse. It ends in an even shittier way, somehow:

quote:

There’s also been a widely-held assumption and perception out there that whatever penalty he receives would be mitigated by the 36 games he’s already missed, but that isn’t necessarily the case. Though the players union can challenge any ruling, and MLB prefers the union to sign off on rulings for that reason, he’s been on paid administrative leave to this point, and there’s a loss of pay during MLB-issued bans. MLB also doesn’t need a conviction to issue a lengthy ban.

Jose Reyes received a 51-game ban, Aroldis Chapman 30 games and Jeurys Familia and Steven Wright 15 games though there was no conviction. In most of the cases, too, there were no injuries reported, and even nothing physical in a couple of those cases.

https://frsbaseball.com/mlb/blue-jays/heyman-mlb-denies-jays-request-as-osuna-wait-continues/

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

clean ayers act posted:

Howard Bryant was on Fresh Air yesterday talking about his book Heritage on the history of black athlete activism. I found the whole interview fascinating, but particularly the part about the decline of activism from about the 80's- 2012(MJ, OJ, Tiger, etc.).
I found this quote pretty fascinating:

Yea people make a huge deal of the Robinson thing but Tiger won the 97 Masters and then 2 days later the anniversary ceremony happened.

He got invited on less than 48 hours notice.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

morestuff posted:

Pretty much. The gesture was nice, but he's not really that vocal about anything these days.

Kind of hard to blame him, just crying on camera once was basically enough to rewrite his legacy for a generation

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea people make a huge deal of the Robinson thing but Tiger won the 97 Masters and then 2 days later the anniversary ceremony happened.

He got invited on less than 48 hours notice.

Huh, i didn't realize that. Still, it takes some balls to basically tell the President you're too busy to be a guest of honor.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

clean ayers act posted:

Huh, i didn't realize that. Still, it takes some balls to basically tell the President you're too busy to be a guest of honor.

There’s stuff about it in the book Jeff Benedict and Armen Keteyian wrote about Tiger, which I recommend.

The reasoning was basically a mixture of “you didn’t want me before the masters, so you don’t need me now” and the fact that Earl pushed him his whole life to do what he did at that masters so I think he just needed to crash right after.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

mentholmoose posted:

Jon Heyman, in light of the domestic abuse allegations against Roberto Osuna, wonders when Osuna will be able to return to the team, instead of, you know, the domestic abuse. It ends in an even shittier way, somehow:

https://frsbaseball.com/mlb/blue-jays/heyman-mlb-denies-jays-request-as-osuna-wait-continues/

I'm actually surprised to learn that Osuna is not represented by Scott Boras.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SBNation now doing straight up advertisements for Mountain Dew

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

They gotta pay those greedy union writers somehow lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's not like sponsored content is a new thing for online outlets. My favorite is when Duracell had the A/V Club do an inventory of 10 Times Batteries Were Important in Pop Culture or something like that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's part of a running joke where they go to junkets and only ask dumb brand-related questions

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

morestuff posted:

It's part of a running joke where they go to junkets and only ask dumb brand-related questions

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

After all, what is all sports journalism but talking about brands competing with each other

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

that's a pretty fuckin' weird joke.

"Ha ha ha! Look how funny we are giving free ad space to Mountain Dew! Ha ha! Hey look it's Mountain Dew! This athlete is drinking a Mountain Dew!"

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Okay, so lets compare some NBA players to Mountain Dew flavors. Who would be your main mountain dew flavor?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

projecthalaxy posted:

After all, what is all sports journalism but talking about brands competing with each other

I mean, it's good work if you can get it.

Let me fix that:

Darren Rovell posted:

This is the most important work being done in sports reporting today.

*-probably not actually a Rovell quote, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

The joke would be better if they were asking everybody about Diet Rite or Stewart's Key Lime or something

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

that's a pretty fuckin' weird joke.

"Ha ha ha! Look how funny we are giving free ad space to Mountain Dew! Ha ha! Hey look it's Mountain Dew! This athlete is drinking a Mountain Dew!"

Check out this guy who's never seen Wayne's World

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Henchman of Santa posted:

Check out this guy who's never seen Wayne's World

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCN7-6PcdYY

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The funniest brand based joke was that Shaq quote about Reebok and Pepsi

Ready! Set! Blow!
Jun 17, 2005

Red alert.

Blast Fantasto posted:

Okay, so lets compare some NBA players to Mountain Dew flavors. Who would be your main mountain dew flavor?

What's really important is the favorite Mountain Dew flavor of each character on The Wire.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Zeeman posted:

I just finished reading Upon Further Review, which is a book where a bunch of people wrote about what-ifs in sport, and it's mostly pretty good, but Jon Bois' chapter, entitled "What If Basketball Rims Were Smaller than Than Basketballs?", is one of the funniest things I've ever read in my life

I agree with every aspect of this post. I haven’t broken into a giggle fit at a book in a long time, but this did it. Don’t seek it out— just read through and come to it when you come to it. It’s much funnier that way, I think.

There’s also a companion podcast that did audio versions of some stories, including Robert Siegel’s report on the Brooklyn Dodgers’ 2018 move to LA, Jesse Eisenberg’s lament for single-handedly ruining the Phoenix Suns when he was a kid, and Steve Kornacki calling a sports show from a future where Bledsoe never got injured and Brady never played.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

It's not that they're asking about a brand at random. They are choosing to ONLY discuss the brand that is sponsoring the interview in the first place. The first one was Josh Rosen, at a junket sponsored by Tostitos. They only asked him questions about the type of chip he liked or his nacho layering preferences.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Neodoomium posted:

It's not that they're asking about a brand at random. They are choosing to ONLY discuss the brand that is sponsoring the interview in the first place. The first one was Josh Rosen, at a junket sponsored by Tostitos. They only asked him questions about the type of chip he liked or his nacho layering preferences.

Don't keep us in suspense!

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Oh! poo poo.

He's a big fan of pulled pork and guacamole but is trying to cut down on queso.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/27/17286724/josh-rosen-nfl-draft-interview-nachos

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/recordsANDradio/status/1012072288936779776?s=19

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Tremendous content

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
44 Gizmodo staffers just took buyouts. I don't know which Deadspin writers that includes but some of Splinter's best (Pareene, Clio Chang) are gone.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1012715123507650560?s=21

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Burke's ability to pull what seemed like petabytes worth of sports clips and get them immediately uploaded was honestly impressive and he's one of the rare people i'm sad to see leave whatever gawker is called nowadays

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJExile posted:

Burke's ability to pull what seemed like petabytes worth of sports clips and get them immediately uploaded was honestly impressive and he's one of the rare people i'm sad to see leave whatever gawker is called nowadays
At the rate Gizmodo's parent company is going you'll be able to call it "nothing" before too long.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Compete is also shutting down for all you eSports people out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Somehow that dipshit Haisley will survive this.