Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

VulgarandStupid posted:

We still really don’t need USB-C on desktops. I’m sorry if this upsets some of you. Have they even sorted out how to make a front panel connector?

LOL if you think "they" (by which I mean the PC industry) even worked out how to do USB 3.x type A front panel ports right.

To elaborate: the traditional dual row box headers used on PC motherboards for front panel USB are the exact opposite of a good connector standard for 5G CML signals, the cable that goes between them and the front panel is equally bad, and even if all that was fixed, you'd really need to put a USB3 hub IC in the front panel (to act as a signal repeater, not as a port multiplier, though you'd get the latter "for free") to do it right.

I've hard recent experience with this problem. I built a PC with a fairly nice Fractal Design case. My first and only attempt at using the front panel USB3 was to plug in a true USB3 thumbdrive to install Linux. It tried to boot and run the installer, but everything was SuperSlow, and so flaky that I couldn't get the install to complete until I moved the thumbdrive to a rear panel USB3 port, after which everything went smoothly and at warp speed.

There's no manufacturing defect in the cables or connectors in that case, they're just not the right design for 5Gbps in any way at all. I kinda knew when I put it together, I just wanted to see how bad it was in practice, and man was it bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
USB C is a goddamn disaster on MacBook Pros, with people selling older models to each other like heirlooms.

The connector is nice, but wholly unnecessary and only serves to make continuing to use the same poo poo you owned more difficult. That you can't tell what cable can do what makes it horrible, that Apple slipped Thunderbolt in there making it more difficult for people who want to drive a professional display and hook up devices only makes it a bigger clusterfuck, and on top of that they gave up magnetic connectors for charging which are a benefit that needs no explanation.

EDIT: To clarify, C is fine on regular rear end MacBooks. But the Pro line is meant for, you know, Pros. People who can't or don't want to strain everything they do into a one-size-fits-all box.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jun 19, 2018

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The only major negative on my 2017 is no SD card reader. Which sucks, but a dongle is pretty cheap.

Otherwise I've had zero negative effects on my work. And the machine is very nice.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Penisaurus Sex posted:

And the machine is very nice.

I'd have expected a "pro" version to have a reliable keyboard that doesn't cost $assrape to replace (due to it being riveted in).

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 19, 2018

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The 2017's keyboard is nicer than my old 2015's and has about the same failure rate -- the real culprit is the 2016, as far as reliability problems go.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ah, k. I wouldn't have such a problem with it if it wasn't riveted.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I agree, this is the crux of the issue with apple engineering. They are not made with repairs in mind.. actually opposite. Magsafe was such a nice technology.. only to be scrapped for absolutely no reason.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 19, 2018

Beefstorm
Jul 20, 2010

"It's not the size of the tower. It's the motion of the airwaves."
Lipstick Apathy
How does everyone feel about Pentium and Celeron processors? Is it literally the same architecture it's been for years? Or is Pentium and Celeron actually usable in any capacity beyond thin client?

Personally I try to avoid touching them with a ten foot pole. But I am wondering if they have valid business use cases.

Beefstorm fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 19, 2018

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Beefstorm posted:

How does everyone feel about Pentium and Celeron processors? Is it literally the same architecture it's been for years? Or is Pentium and Celeron actually usable in any capacity beyond thin client?

Personally I try to avoid touching them with a ten foot pole. But I am wondering if they have valid business use cases.

There are Celerons that are based on the Core architecture (both laptop and desktop TDPs) as well as the Atom architecture.

Desktop or laptop Celerons are going to be pokey but OK for basic office stuff, web browsing, etc if you don't have overly high expectations for responsiveness. Atom-based Celerons are going to be pretty excruciating, but if you have no other options they're OK. They also make decent low-power fileservers too - the nice thing is, they idle well under 5W.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Beefstorm posted:

I'm pretty sure Atom architecture changed substantially with Bay Trail around 2013, since the original models were all in-order execution for simplicity but they're out of order now.

They're quite useful for low-powered servers, Chromebooks, HTPCs etc. Not bad for office work, as long as like any other system you'd want to use you give them enough memory and an SSD. A quad-core Gemini Lake system is probably more capable than a Core 2 Duo for most purposes and getting close to Core 2 Quad.

I use an N3150 as an HTPC and haven't really noticed any deficiencies there. Would use it as my NAS but I also run Plex on that node and wanted a bit more single-threaded power so I'm still using an L3110 for that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Beefstorm posted:

All qnap nas with an Intel processor in the mid to low bracket have a Pentium/Celeron processor and they manage without a hitch. The main issue is the lack of pcie lanes(which lock their 10g expansion options).

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Krzanich just resigned :shittypop:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-06-21/intel-ceo-brian-krzanich-resigns

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

How hard is it not to bang an employee, Jesus.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Schiavona posted:

As we can see ... impossible.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Schiavona posted:

I was watching old youtubes and apparently David Letterman not only banged one of his staff, when a dude tried to blackmail him he spoke about it on his show and the blackmailer was convicted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7f9D4KclJw

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mewse posted:

I was watching old youtubes and apparently David Letterman not only banged one of his staff, when a dude tried to blackmail him he spoke about it on his show and the blackmailer was convicted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7f9D4KclJw

Well yeah, asking them for money is illegal, asking a paper for money is however perfectly legal.

It’s clear what the law wants you to do!

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Schiavona posted:

Intel has yet to figure out proper branch prediction.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

:tinfoil: and all but this might be the most painless way to remove a CEO you might think you'd have to replace in the near future

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Why was Krzanich on the way out though? Otellini stepped away out of cycle because of the 'big decision' of opening up the fabs, is there something else of that magnitude coming down the pipe?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

JawnV6 posted:

Why was Krzanich on the way out though? Otellini stepped away out of cycle because of the 'big decision' of opening up the fabs, is there something else of that magnitude coming down the pipe?

He sold every share he was contractually able to, after knowing about Spectre/meltdown, and critically, BEFORE the public knew about it. It's literally a perfect, textbook case of securities fraud. And rumblings from on high are the FTC is preparing to nail him to the wall for it. Best find something less embarrassing for the firm, like him abusing his role as CEO to gently caress the hot intern and get rid of him before he goes to prison.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What a promotion for Raja

From the failure of Vega to Intel GPU head to overall CEO wow

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
The next CEO ideally should be a uarch guy and not a fab guy when their successes for the past 2 decades has really nothing to do with their process node advantages and now it's backfiring hard.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Pitch it to Jim Keller.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

He sold every share he was contractually able to, after knowing about Spectre/meltdown, and critically, BEFORE the public knew about it. It's literally a perfect, textbook case of securities fraud. And rumblings from on high are the FTC is preparing to nail him to the wall for it. Best find something less embarrassing for the firm, like him abusing his role as CEO to gently caress the hot intern and get rid of him before he goes to prison.

He didn't abuse his role, the relationship was consensual. It's a violation on intel policy though and it's totally being used to sweep him out before the FTC/SEC gets to digging in real hard, because it happened a long time ago, and was not in any way secret within the company. It gets him a big golden handshake, intel gets to 'look good' that the top is being 'held to account' and it's all bullshit and everybody knows it, but it's legally defensible bullshit and that's all that is needed.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Corporate speak for AMD is kicking our rear end, you didn't see it coming, see ya pal.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

JawnV6 posted:

I guess it depends on how much stock you put in the rumors about 10nm. If it truly is irrecoverably hosed like the rumors suggest, and Cannon Lake and Ice Lake are essentially getting swept into the trash heap, then Intel may lose a percentage of not only their cash-cow enterprise market, but also their old faithful desktop/laptop "client computing" market to AMD. AMD is drat near publicly moon-walking about the prospects for 7nm Epyc.

Even if we are talking a 10% drop, there is truly no excuse for a company like intel with comparatively unlimited resources to straight up get beaten by AMD and TSMC, where intel has twice the yearly revenue of the two combined.

If you give a manager twice the budget and twice the staffing of a competing group and the other group beats them, how long do you keep that manager?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EoRaptor posted:

It gets him a big golden handshake

Haha nope, I'm betting if you get the boot for violating corporate policies you don't get the golden parachute. Which was $45 million for BK.

Pretty sure this whole thing is leading up to "terminated for cause", even if the cause is a consensual relationship with an employee instead of for being a waste of oxygen as a CEO and for blatant insider trading. Otherwise they could have had him "retire to spend more time with the family" at any point, they'd just have to pay the golden parachute. The whole point of dredging this up is to get rid of him cheaply.

Palladium posted:

The next CEO ideally should be a uarch guy and not a fab guy when their successes for the past 2 decades has really nothing to do with their process node advantages and now it's backfiring hard.

Shame having a process guy apparently didn't help them with their process and all.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 22, 2018

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Paul MaudDib posted:

Haha nope, I'm betting if you get the boot for violating corporate policies you don't get the golden parachute. Which was $45 million for BK.

Pretty sure this whole thing is leading up to "terminated for cause", even if the cause is a consensual relationship with an employee instead of for being a waste of oxygen as a CEO and for blatant insider trading.

I thought he would have resigned when requested to, it's a lot cleaner for the company to buy him out than to fight a public battle in court that could be expensive and distracting. I don't think all the details have been published, and may never be.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EoRaptor posted:

I thought he would have resigned when requested to, it's a lot cleaner for the company to buy him out than to fight a public battle in court that could be expensive and distracting. I don't think all the details have been published, and may never be.

If they were OK with the payout, why dredge up this whole thing at all? Just have him "retire to spend more time with his family".

If they're going with the banging-the-employee angle, it's cause they want it to be for-cause (and thus implicitly public). They aren't going to come out and say "it's cause he was a waste of skin who managed to squander a massive head-start in both process and uarch" but everyone knows it anyway.

(and yeah, if they didn't want him gone, then he/they would have just paid her a big confidential settlement to not sue and never speak of it again, and told him that it's 2018 and that poo poo doesn't fly anymore)

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 22, 2018

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

EoRaptor posted:

He didn't abuse his role, the relationship was consensual.

Those relationships are against policy because even if it's 100% perfectly consensual, the disparity in power and the relationship between them can give the appearance of coercion, and appearances are everything in the corporate world.

The same way an Army Captain can't gently caress one of his NCOs because he has authority over them, the CEO can't gently caress one of his employees, because of his authority over them. Enough lovely people in positions of power have abused it so now it looks skeezy as gently caress no matter what the circumstances.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

I won an 8086k from the sweepstakes :woop:

Just filled out the verification form, had to check the original terms to make sure it wasn't a scam :v:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Cancelbot posted:

Just filled out the verification form, had to check the original terms to make sure it wasn't a scam :v:

Grats!

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Those relationships are against policy because even if it's 100% perfectly consensual, the disparity in power and the relationship between them can give the appearance of coercion, and appearances are everything in the corporate world.

Oh yeah, 100% agree. I interpreted the initial ‘abusive’ as a comment about the relationship, when it was consensual, not about the disparity in job authority between the two of them. The no relationship policy needs to be enforced, and the fact intel was ‘late’ to enforce it smacks of using it as an excuse to coverup something else.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Cancelbot posted:

But are you gonna trade it in for a Threadripper? :v:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cancelbot posted:

hell ya dawg. put it in the cheapest H310 board and run it at stock clocks to upset people.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cancelbot posted:

Seriously, trade it for a threadripper. Clear winner there.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

Cygni posted:

hell ya dawg. put it in the cheapest H310 board and run it at stock clocks to upset people.

Stock cooler too? You know it! Threadripper is a good idea too...

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cancelbot posted:

Grats on your free Threadripper dogg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's only for the first 40 applicants - so if he wasn't quick about it...