Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the soundtrack is the best, some solid Get Up Kids in there and even the theme tune is quality.

Gandhi is definitely an interesting thing, they probably barely got away with it at the time and there’s no way it would fly now. He’s such a lovable character, while at the same time you can understand why a lot of people were pissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly I’m surprised that people haven’t complained about the depiction of Ghengis Kahn.

“You see, he’s from Mongol, making him a Mongoloid, which is also a suuuuuuuper not PC term for someone who has Down Sundrome, so haha wouldn’t it be funny if Ghengis Kahn’s clone had Down Syndrome?”

...was what Lord & Miller probably said when coming up with the character. And then they actually did it (go back and rewatch the show, it’s an incredibly stereotypical and borderline offensive portrayal of someone with DS).

That “joke” flew by me until recently. I still love the show to bits but there a absolutely some ways it hasn’t aged well.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Iron Crowned posted:

That was The Brothers Grim, and no one liked The Brothers Grim, everything else was fine

You mean The Brothers Grunt? The only thing worse than that show was the theme song.

IRQ posted:

Dr. Katz was so visually awful that I couldn't watch it.

I remember it also being boring and bad but I was a kid.

Dr Katz got revived as an audio series in Audible like a year or so ago, I liked the few episodes I listened to while I had a trial.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
PSA: Detroiters is back!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nobody told me brockmire started up again because you dorks were all arguing about spoilers. Spoilers: it still owns

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nobody told me brockmire started up again because you dorks were all arguing about spoilers. Spoilers: it still owns

We weren’t arguing about spoilers in April!

But yeah this season was as good as if not better than the first despite the lack of Peet which really had me worried at first

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Whoa, they greenlit Roseanne Without Roseanne.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah, it's going to be called The Conners and Roseanne won't get any money from it or have any input to the show. However she still technically owns all of the characters.

They don't officially say but it kind of sounds like they're implying they're going to totally kill off Roseanne('s character.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't know how Daria can possibly work outside of the 90s.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know how Daria can possibly work outside of the 90s.

Start with their 20-year high school reunion and go from there

Her sister better be fat and have like 10 kids

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
They're gonna stop another terorist attack on a train, go to Disneyland Euro, get rich off of bitcoin and it turns out Roseanne died in the flood and Darlene was writing a book the whole time.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah, it's going to be called The Conners and Roseanne won't get any money from it or have any input to the show. However she still technically owns all of the characters.

They don't officially say but it kind of sounds like they're implying they're going to totally kill off Roseanne('s character.)

Should’ve been called Dan & Clan

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yup, putting Clan in the title wouldn't have been an issue at all after all of this.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I'ma assume :thejoke:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Yup, putting Clan in the title wouldn't have been an issue at all after all of this.

Whooosh

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

EugeneJ posted:

Start with their 20-year high school reunion and go from there

Her sister better be fat and have like 10 kids

What you're describing is the worst case scenario.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I saw Janeane Garofalo doing standup a couple years ago. It gave me a really good sense of what Daria would be like as a modern adult. And it was very sad.

A modern Daria could be good given the right perspective. And that perspective is that Daria's lovely self absorbed attitude is bad and her smug, judgemental, cynical, and hypocritical outlook on the world (which she snidely espouses from the sidelines while never presenting any real solutions or participating in any activities that would work toward real change) is a poor reflection of her character. Match her up with the current generation of kids who are actually thoughtful, introspective, and politically active while not thinking they're above everything and it has some potential for an interesting series.

Make her a snide smartass who is right about everything and you've missed the point.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 22, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Popelmon posted:

PSA: Detroiters is back!

Hell yeah, I love Detroiters. That episode with Kevin Nash in S1 was my favorite in an already hilarious season.

I watched S1 of The Last OG this week, and I thought it was pretty funny.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

I saw Janeane Garofalo doing standup a couple years ago. It gave me a really good sense of what Daria would be like as a modern adult. And it was very sad.

A modern Daria could be good given the right perspective. And that perspective is that Daria's lovely self absorbed attitude is bad and her smug, judgemental, cynical, and hypocritical outlook on the world (which she snidely espouses from the sidelines while never presenting any real solutions or participating in any activities that would work toward real change) is a poor reflection of her character. Match her up with the current generation of kids who are actually thoughtful, introspective, and politically active while not thinking they're above everything and it has some potential for an interesting series.

Make her a snide smartass who is right about everything and you've missed the point.

I'd hate to see that because I would hope the character would've grown past that attitude.

The 90s cynical "grunge" perspective was a reaction to the Reaganesque hypocrisy of the 80s, where superficial wholesomeness was considered more important than one's actual character, and what America thought of as its heroes were gradually exposed as liars who didn't practice what they preached. Within that context, Daria's attitude is completely understandable, because she was a teenager who clearly wanted something to believe in but couldn't find it in her life, and reacted by shutting herself off from a world that she chose to see only the most hypocritical, short-sighted and consumerist aspects of. But her attitude was often framed as being equally short-sighted, and she misunderstood that most people's willful ignorance of what she considered "reality" was just as much of a coping mechanism as her emotionless facade. The show ended with her going off to college for a reason, because it's almost certain that she ends up coming out of her shell as a more fully realized individual once she leaves high school (an environment where social pressures do nothing but confirm her worst suspicions about human nature).

If the show is instead about her having learned nothing at all in 20 years, it would be an even more cynical message about people and their ability to change than the original show ever had.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

By the end of the series/movie Daria has been on a bunch of dates and loosened up a bit. If they did a continuing series I'm sure it would reflect that.

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

lelandjs posted:

Phil Lord and Chris Miller have talked about bringing it back occasionally. There would apparently be a few changes, like retconning Ghandi as a clone of... Gary Coleman, I think? Which is kinda dumb (Coleman wasn’t dead when the series started and he’s nowhere near as notable as the other characters) and also brilliant (Ghandi is always gonna be short and India can’t get the show taken off the air again). Also I think Cleo calls him Gary at one point which suggests that it may have always been the plan.

I’m not sure that Clone High would work in 2018 though because all the teen dramas and tropes they used to parody are superhero shows now. Also there’s no way that the soundtrack would be anywhere near as good—it turns out the soundtrack is an significant part of the reason I like the show. I bought the show on iTunes and started watching it but only got like halfway through the first episode before I ordered the dvds on Amazon. Dashboard Confessional needs to be playing during heartbreak scenes, drat it!

Making Ghandi be a clone of Gary Coleman was one of the pitches they made to the network for how the show could be picked up for a second season after the initial backlash from the character, the other was to just kill him off entirely. I have no idea if they would have to do either for a theoretical return now that we're almost 20 years removed from the original controversy.

And I agree, as much as I love the show I feel like we're at the point now where it works better just as a one-season wonder and interesting time capsule of the era because any attempt at bringing it back would be a different show. 21 Jump Street is already Lord and Miller doing a fantastic comedy take on modern-ish high school in the same way that Clone High was for the early-00s so updating the show for modern sensibilities would be kind of redundant but at the same time if they kept it in the original time period then it would probably just be a nostalgia piece or a basic fish-out-of-water comedy. And I really don't want to see Clone High redone in a modern "thin lines/flat colors/no right angles" style or CGI but if they kept the original style then it would be done with cheap Flash tweening to work on modern HD television in a workable budget.

At least we got Will Forte as Abe one last time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua61e3dog0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsa7jFlHY0U

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

feedmyleg posted:

Daria is wildly obnoxious in 2018. Reboot away, that's some toxic, self-absorbed, overly-cynical Gen X poo poo.

The first season of Daria was the only good one anyway. Or maybe it had 2 good seasons? Whenever Daria got a boyfriend, the show went to crap and never recovered.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

raditts posted:

Dr Katz got revived as an audio series in Audible like a year or so ago, I liked the few episodes I listened to while I had a trial.

Whaaaaaaaat?! Oh man, I gotta hear that. Dr Katz was amazing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

feedmyleg posted:

So in other words, the same perspective that the original series had.
I get the feeling you never actually watched any meaningful amount of the show.

raditts fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 22, 2018

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeaaah anyone wishing for a reboot/remake of Daria to 'fix' it by having it point out how much of an insufferable brat she was ... that was already the point of the original lmao. The whole show is about her learning to get past that and start to make friends with people outside her comfort zone.

It's 100% a story about a girl going through highschool and slowly growing the gently caress up, or starting to. It's also about how being so bitter toward people and things you don't like for shallow reasons is stupid and if you actually pay attention they will probably surprise you.

Daria is a pretty dope show. I will gladly poo poo on its flaws, but it's a really fun (if hella dated) coming of age story.

shame bout the loss of so much music on the home release, tho. c'est la vie

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Bring back Mission Hill.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ozark season 2 is out August 31. Also Luke Cage is out today! Sepinwall hates it!

Also the second season of The Terror:

quote:

The season will revolve around “an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific,” according to the official release.

First season will be hard to top, especially since it won't have excellent source material to draw on, but they did such a good job they've earned the benefit of the doubt, I think.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 22, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Woah I thought we'd have to wait a lot longer for Ozark. I'm excited.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Speaking of Ozark, Netflix recently updated the first season to HDR. I'm glad I waited to watch it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

Speaking of Ozark, Netflix recently updated the first season to HDR. I'm glad I waited to watch it.

Missing a really great show because it wasn't in fancy color. Smdh.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Matt Zerella posted:

Missing a really great show because it wasn't in fancy color. Smdh.

No, that was a happy accident. Just too many things in the queue.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

bull3964 posted:

No, that was a happy accident. Just too many things in the queue.

Fair enough. Still, smdh. Smgdh.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Netflix shows aren't shorter because it's in their best interests to keep you watching something for longer. So that's never going to change.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

zoux posted:

Ozark season 2 is out August 31. Also Luke Cage is out today! Sepinwall hates it!

Also the second season of The Terror:

First season will be hard to top, especially since it won't have excellent source material to draw on, but they did such a good job they've earned the benefit of the doubt, I think.

If they go hard into Japanese spirits/mythology, it could be pretty cool, considering it talks about internment camps and also into the Pacific theater. I doubt it’ll top the first season, but I really think S1 was lightning in a bottle.

Of course some morons are already foaming at the mouth ‘rabble rabble rabble some people will stoop to any low to capitalize on the current political climate!’ :rolleyes:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LadyPictureShow posted:

If they go hard into Japanese spirits/mythology, it could be pretty cool, considering it talks about internment camps and also into the Pacific theater. I doubt it’ll top the first season, but I really think S1 was lightning in a bottle.

Of course some morons are already foaming at the mouth ‘rabble rabble rabble some people will stoop to any low to capitalize on the current political climate!’ :rolleyes:

Yeah I doubt they came up with the idea just this week. Hopefully they do the ghost the Koopa Troopa is based on! I'm sick of long haired pale girls in white dresses ghosts.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 22, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I'd hate to see that because I would hope the character would've grown past that attitude.

The 90s cynical "grunge" perspective was a reaction to the Reaganesque hypocrisy of the 80s, where superficial wholesomeness was considered more important than one's actual character, and what America thought of as its heroes were gradually exposed as liars who didn't practice what they preached. Within that context, Daria's attitude is completely understandable, because she was a teenager who clearly wanted something to believe in but couldn't find it in her life, and reacted by shutting herself off from a world that she chose to see only the most hypocritical, short-sighted and consumerist aspects of. But her attitude was often framed as being equally short-sighted, and she misunderstood that most people's willful ignorance of what she considered "reality" was just as much of a coping mechanism as her emotionless facade. The show ended with her going off to college for a reason, because it's almost certain that she ends up coming out of her shell as a more fully realized individual once she leaves high school (an environment where social pressures do nothing but confirm her worst suspicions about human nature).

If the show is instead about her having learned nothing at all in 20 years, it would be an even more cynical message about people and their ability to change than the original show ever had.

Oh, absolutely. Rereading my post I wasn't clear, I was thinking of a reboot with her as a teenager in modern day where her attitude contrasts with that of other teenagers around her, not her as an adult which noooobody needs. Because I think without that attitude, she isn't Daria.

But also, yeah, I watched the show when I was a kid and the commentary may have just gone over my head. When I tried to revisit it recently I only watched two episodes, which probably wasn't enough to see what the show was doing with her. I turned it off because I found her attitude incredibly grating and obnoxious, but it makes sense that the show was using that in an intelligent way.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 22, 2018

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

zoux posted:

Yeah I doubt they came up with the idea just this week. Hopefully they do the ghost the Koopa Troopa is based on! I'm sick of long haired pale girls in white dresses ghosts.

Kappas?

Pfft, you’re thinking too small, friend-o! The guards of an internment camp are being hunted by a bloodthirsty shirime

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

W..waht is that ghost doing to his anus...

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
Hey, even Chaucer referenced "her nether eye."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What was the Clone High Gandhi controversy?