Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

this user was banned for being mean to a chill fictional dwarf lady

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What happens to itumaak if Sagani accidentally falls in to the blood pool

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Digital Osmosis posted:

this user was banned for being mean to a chill fictional dwarf lady

And rightly so

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

can you thread the needle as a bleakwalker as a light-hearted sociopath that will still kill people for the slightest inconvenience but is otherwise not all doom and gloom? i'm kind of imagining The Boss from Saint's Row 3/4 where you're still an amoral killer that doesn't value kith life, but you also love to get blasted on uppers and party with biki-clad people of your preferred orientation in a hot tub.

murder, but playful murder. maybe a sense of poetic irony in your methods

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I joke all the time, unless violence will get me results quicker.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Freaking Crumbum posted:

can you thread the needle as a bleakwalker as a light-hearted sociopath that will still kill people for the slightest inconvenience but is otherwise not all doom and gloom? i'm kind of imagining The Boss from Saint's Row 3/4 where you're still an amoral killer that doesn't value kith life, but you also love to get blasted on uppers and party with biki-clad people of your preferred orientation in a hot tub.

Bleakwalkers are mainly mercs that believe in no mercy. Outside of their job they can be pretty fun people i imagine. I mean they arent sociapaths as a rule, they just can be. They are paladins so they might just do cruel and agressive acts because they believe them to be the swiftest and most effective way to peace.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
My understanding is that the historical model for the Bleak Walker is General Sherman.

quote:

Having succeeded Anderson at Louisville, Sherman now had principal military responsibility for Kentucky, a border state in which Confederate troops held Columbus and Bowling Green and were present near the Cumberland Gap.[43] He became exceedingly pessimistic about the outlook for his command and he complained frequently to Washington, D.C. about shortages while providing exaggerated estimates of the strength of the rebel forces. Critical press reports appeared about him after an October visit to Louisville by the secretary of war, Simon Cameron, and in early November 1861 Sherman insisted that he be relieved.[44] He was promptly replaced by Brigadier General Don Carlos Buell and transferred to St. Louis, Missouri. In December, he was put on leave by Maj. Gen. Henry W. Halleck, commander of the Department of the Missouri, who considered him unfit for duty. Sherman went to Lancaster, Ohio, to recuperate. While he was at home, his wife Ellen wrote to his brother, Senator John Sherman, seeking advice. She complained of "that melancholy insanity to which your family is subject".[45] Sherman later wrote that the concerns of command "broke me down", and he admitted contemplating suicide.[46] His problems were compounded when the Cincinnati Commercial described him as "insane".[47]

By mid-December 1861 Sherman had recovered sufficiently to return to service under Halleck in the Department of the Missouri. (In March, Halleck's command was redesignated the Department of the Mississippi and enlarged to unify command in the West). Sherman's initial assignments were rear-echelon commands, first of an instructional barracks near St. Louis and then in command of the District of Cairo.[48] Operating from Paducah, Kentucky, he provided logistical support for the operations of Brig. Gen. Ulysses S. Grant to capture Fort Donelson (February 1862). Grant, the previous commander of the District of Cairo, had recently won a major victory at Fort Henry (February 6, 1862) and been given command of the ill-defined District of West Tennessee. Although Sherman was technically the senior officer at this time, he wrote to Grant, "I feel anxious about you as I know the great facilities [the Confederates] have of concentration by means of the River and R Road, but [I] have faith in you—Command me in any way."[49]

quote:

The careers of both officers ascended considerably after that time. In Sherman's case, this was in part because he developed close personal ties to Grant during the two years they served together in the West.[55] During the long and complicated campaign against Vicksburg, one newspaper complained that the "army was being ruined in mud-turtle expeditions, under the leadership of a drunkard [Grant], whose confidential adviser [Sherman] was a lunatic".[56

quote:

General Grant is a great general. I know him well. He stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk; and now, sir, we stand by each other always.

quote:

Like Grant, Sherman was convinced that the Confederacy's strategic, economic, and psychological ability to wage further war needed to be definitively crushed if the fighting were to end. Therefore, he believed that the North had to conduct its campaign as a war of conquest and employ scorched earth tactics to break the backbone of the rebellion. He called this strategy "hard war".

Sherman's advance through Georgia and South Carolina was characterized by widespread destruction of civilian supplies and infrastructure. Although looting was officially forbidden, historians disagree on how well this regulation was enforced.[96] Union soldiers who foraged from Southern homes became known as bummers. The speed and efficiency of the destruction by Sherman's army was remarkable. The practice of heating rails and bending them around trees, leaving behind what came to be known as "Sherman's neckties," made repairs difficult. Accusations that civilians were targeted and war crimes were committed on the march have made Sherman a controversial figure to this day, particularly in the American South.

An 1868 engraving by Alexander Hay Ritchie depicting the March to the Sea
The damage done by Sherman was almost entirely limited to the destruction of property. Though exact figures are not available, the loss of civilian life appears to have been very small.[97] Consuming supplies, wrecking infrastructure, and undermining morale were Sherman's stated goals, and several of his Southern contemporaries noted this and commented on it. For instance, Alabama-born Major Henry Hitchcock, who served in Sherman's staff, declared that "it is a terrible thing to consume and destroy the sustenance of thousands of people," but if the scorched earth strategy served "to paralyze their husbands and fathers who are fighting ... it is mercy in the end".[98]

The severity of the destructive acts by Union troops was significantly greater in South Carolina than in Georgia or North Carolina. This appears to have been a consequence of the animosity among both Union soldiers and officers to the state that they regarded as the "cockpit of secession".[99] One of the most serious accusations against Sherman was that he allowed his troops to burn the city of Columbia. In 1867, Gen. O. O. Howard, commander of Sherman's 15th Corps, reportedly said, "It is useless to deny that our troops burnt Columbia, for I saw them in the act."[100] However, Sherman himself stated that "[i]f I had made up my mind to burn Columbia I would have burnt it with no more feeling than I would a common prairie dog village; but I did not do it ..."[101] Sherman's official report on the burning placed the blame on Confederate Lt. Gen. Wade Hampton III, who Sherman said had ordered the burning of cotton in the streets. In his memoirs, Sherman said, "In my official report of this conflagration I distinctly charged it to General Wade Hampton, and confess I did so pointedly to shake the faith of his people in him, for he was in my opinion a braggart and professed to be the special champion of South Carolina."[102] Historian James M. McPherson has concluded that:

The fullest and most dispassionate study of this controversy blames all parties in varying proportions—including the Confederate authorities for the disorder that characterized the evacuation of Columbia, leaving thousands of cotton bales on the streets (some of them burning) and huge quantities of liquor undestroyed ... Sherman did not deliberately burn Columbia; a majority of Union soldiers, including the general himself, worked through the night to put out the fires.[103]

edit: the quote I was looking for, when he ordered the evacuation of Atlanta:

quote:

"You cannot qualify war in harsher terms than I will. War is cruelty, and you cannot refine it; and those who brought war into our country deserve all the curses and maledictions a people can pour out. I know I had no hand in making this war, and I know I will make more sacrifices to-day than any of you to secure peace. But you cannot have peace and a division of our country. If the United States submits to a division now, it will not stop, but will go on until we reap the fate of Mexico, which is eternal war.[...] I want peace, and believe it can only be reached through union and war, and I will ever conduct war with a view to perfect and early success. But, my dear sirs, when peace does come, you may call on me for anything. Then will I share with you the last cracker, and watch with you to shield your homes and families against danger from every quarter."[10]

The conception being that war is hell and you are bringing it because anything less just prolongs the suffering.

quote:

Just a week after the election, Sherman’s high-spirited army of 60,000, hardened by months of combat, began its 285-mile march from Atlanta to Savannah, and the sea. Loosed from its own supply lines, the army would forage for supplies off the countryside. “We cannot change the hearts of those people of the South,” Sherman explained to Grant, “but we can make war so terrible… [and] make them so sick of war that generations will pass away before they would again appeal to it.” Major Henry Hitchcock, an Alabaman on Sherman’s staff, fleshed out his commander’s rationale for the operation nicely when he wrote that if the “terror, grief and even want” the army was about to inflict on the people of Georgia “shall help paralyze their husbands and fathers who are fighting us … it is mercy in the end.”

So yeah, you could be a bright and cheery upbeat Bleak Walker. So long as nobody got in your way.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 22, 2018

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
Any good source for vithrack brains? I got a bunch of equipment that needs them for enchanting.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've only found them on the merchant in the Wahaki village.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Bleak Walker is great because you can finally use all those amazing [Attack] dialogue options.

"There's only one unreasonable savage on this plateau, and he stands before you" *turns the Wahaki into a collective fine red mist*

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Satire Forum Mom posted:

Any good source for vithrack brains? I got a bunch of equipment that needs them for enchanting.
Dark Cupboard should sell them. There are very few Vithrack to be killed in the game - I can only really think of one ship captain and the Spindle Man - so you'll probably have to wait for shops to restock.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I don't see why not? In real life evil people do good poo poo all the time. It's not like the Koch brothers have never donated to good philanthropic causes, for example. I think one of them iirc has donated a good amount to cancer research, albeit that was likely 99% because one of them at one point had cancer. Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else who had that situation.

Anyways, point being, evil people still usually have some humanity.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Entropy238 posted:

What happens to itumaak if Sagani accidentally falls in to the blood pool

reverse ghost heart: ghost dogg

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Iretep posted:

Bleakwalkers are mainly mercs that believe in no mercy. Outside of their job they can be pretty fun people i imagine.

Theoretically, it's possible to separate your horrible job from your private life. Practically, I can't imagine anyone staying with the Bleak Walkers for long if they're not a fully fledged sociopath.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So how is spellblade? More particular, how is Aloth as a spellblade. I've seen people make the case that his battlemage multiclass can be good, but I haven't seen much about him as a wizard+rogue.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I was going to make a joke about if Batman acted more like a Bleak Walker then there would be less dead people in Gotham but that's basically the Punisher I think. Of course if Bruce Wayne was a Kind Wayfarer then that would be better.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

marshmallow creep posted:

So how is spellblade? More particular, how is Aloth as a spellblade. I've seen people make the case that his battlemage multiclass can be good, but I haven't seen much about him as a wizard+rogue.

I haven't tried it myself but what I've read is that spellblade rogue is basically the only way to build a real riposte tank. Because riposte only triggers on miss, not graze, you need to get deflection crazy high to make it work, and wizard spell buffs are the only good way to do that.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I didn’t use aloth very effectively as a spellblade in my last game. He didn’t have the health to really take a beating and his defensive spells helped, but ultimately weren’t enough to push him to high enough deflection to heavily mitigate damage. Maybe if he used a shield it would be better. His damage output also seemed worse than either a pure rogue or pure wizard. That’s not to say spellblade is hopeless, but I found it finicky and really micro heavy. It does have a strong synergy at higher levels — citzal’s spirit lance applies rogue strike debuffs in an aoe, meaning you can nuke multiple enemies with dots, or grind a groups’ deflection into dust with confounding blind and some spells that hit multiple times. But a two handed spec looks pretty awful on rogue until then, because all of its abilities are full attacks.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I don't remember Lord Darryn's Voulge doing so much shock damage to my teammates during my first playthrough, and the description on the item says it'd only do that to foes that have been hit with static charges.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003
Posted about that issue a few pages back. here's the fix

Grimoire posted:

Well now, that was fun. Blew my own brawler with Darryn's Voulge, despite it supposed to be foe only. On the plus side, 30 minutes of learnin' and lookin' at the datafiles, and wouldn't you know they're just JSON.

I think the fix is to change Corsairs_Voulge_Static_Charge_AOE -> AffectedTargetType from "All" to "Hostile"

edit: it's in the attacks bundle iirc, win path will be something like (look at local files through steam here)\Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata\attacks.gamebundlethangs

Grimoire fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 23, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So yeah, you could be a bright and cheery upbeat Bleak Walker. So long as nobody got in your way.

America, land of the RPG, where you can have any alignment you like, as long as it's murder :commissar:

I like doing all the bounties, which makes me as complicit as Maia. Berath frowns on passionate or benevolent choices, although I'm fairly sure I get a pass for murdering Woedica priests. It's my ornery kith nature.

Don't get me wrong, I like Sherman better than Grant. He and Forrest would have made an interesting pair. Except for the KKK thing.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 23, 2018

Octo1
May 7, 2009

ewe2 posted:

America, land of the RPG, where you can have any alignment you like, as long as it's murder :commissar:

I like doing all the bounties, which makes me as complicit as Maia. Berath frowns on passionate or benevolent choices, although I'm fairly sure I get a pass for murdering Woedica priests. It's my ornery kith nature.

Don't get me wrong, I like Sherman better than Grant. He and Forrest would have made an interesting pair. Except for the KKK thing.

Berath is fine with benevolence, it's cruelty that's disfavored.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Spellblade is decent because Wizard and Rogue are powerful classes but there isn't that much obvious synergy between Wizard spells and the Rogue's usual playstyle. Outside of the Spirit Lance, most good self-buffs the Wizard gets are defensive. And the Spirit Lance isn't even the only AoE weapon. I'm not sure it's even as good as the other two when all are fully enchanted/leveled.
Wizard does have synergy with Riposte and Streetfighter, though. I think Riposte is bad and one passive definitely isn't enough to plan a build around. Streetfighters are nice and benefit from all Wizard buffs but that of course isn't relevant where Aloth is concerned.
The Rogue also does very little to aid the Wizard side of the multiclass. Escape can combo well with some spells (Death Ray, Dimensional Shift) but eh. That's more fun than it is powerful. Fighter/Wizards on the other hand can utilize Wizard CC very well thanks to Barrage alone.

Making Aloth anything but a pure Wizard is kinda annoying especially when you first get him because he starts with blasting spells only. If you make him a Rogue/Wizard and Edér a Fighter/Rogue they also both start with Crippling Strike which is not ideal when they're supposed to focus down enemies together.

None of this is meant to say that Rogue/Wizard is bad, but I think it's the weakest class choice for Aloth.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Riposte build wizards/rogues were good in the beta. But then riposte, which was already pretty bad outside of this combination, got inexplicably nerfed more in the main game, so, yeah, now they're not worth making either.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Grimoire posted:

Posted about that issue a few pages back. here's the fix

edit: it's in the attacks bundle iirc, win path will be something like (look at local files through steam here)\Pillars of Eternity II\PillarsOfEternityII_Data\exported\design\gamedata\attacks.gamebundlethangs

Thanks; trying this.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

How do you all make tekehu work as a nuker on PotD? I find his spells have a lot of trouble hitting, and if they do, they never penetrate. At level 14 he can go through his entire repertoire against equal level opponents and not bring a single enemy past half health. Maybe I just picked the wrong spells, but I have him mostly casting his unique spells and summons and they mostly do nothing effective at all.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Heithinn Grasida posted:

How do you all make tekehu work as a nuker on PotD? I find his spells have a lot of trouble hitting, and if they do, they never penetrate. At level 14 he can go through his entire repertoire against equal level opponents and not bring a single enemy past half health. Maybe I just picked the wrong spells, but I have him mostly casting his unique spells and summons and they mostly do nothing effective at all.

for PotD I use Druids for their healing spells and Chanters as beckoners for the wurms summon so far, most spells will fail to hit because of high defenses, that's just the way it goes

I did a custom party to make a Lifegiver Druid to tough it out these situations in PotD

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Druids are a lot worse on the new PotD because they have trouble breaking armor. Maybe a Fury getting multiple elemental passives can do well but I doubt even that.
But yeah, Druids are the best healers. Chanter healing got nerfed pretty harshly so there's even less competition for Druids now (although Moonwell got nerfed as well).
Maybe their summons are alright as well? I 've honestly never used most of them but it probably doesn't really matter anyway because summoning items are obscenely overpowered.

Tekehu in particular struggles with damage more than other Druids because he's cut off from a damage type and raw damage spells but Foe AoE Chill Fog and Blizzard are still useful since you can just drop them into any melee for some damage and their debuff effects. He also has a spell that does crushing damage which is by far the best damage type against most enemies worth worrying about, although it still doesn't always penetrate.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I found Tekehu's main use in PotD was as a healer and a Chill Fog dispenser since his doesn't affect allies. On PotD he just doesn't have the penetration to be a nuker and he misses out on some of the better spells for that anyways.

I honestly feel like he's best as a Druid/Chanter in PotD due to the relative inefficacy of his higher level spell slots.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'm still running my Druid through Poe1 and there might be another patch by the time I'm done but y'all are making it sound like I should go Lifegiver once I get to Poe2.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Is Resolve still used for dialogue mechanics in PoE2 like it was in 1? I'm a couple hours in (haven't even fixed the Defiant yet), but Resolve's old function of persuade/threaten/etc. seems to have been largely absorbed by the new skills of the same name. I haven't seen any dialogue checks for Resolve yet.

If it's not used for dialogue checks anymore, is there a way to respec my character's stats? I'd like to put some points into Perception instead, since Resolve isn't really useful for the Pure Class Wizard I'm running. The inn only lets you redo everything after 1st level, though.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Ginette Reno posted:

I'm still running my Druid through Poe1 and there might be another patch by the time I'm done but y'all are making it sound like I should go Lifegiver once I get to Poe2.

if you give a poo poo about PotD yeah I guess so

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Cirosan posted:

Is Resolve still used for dialogue mechanics in PoE2 like it was in 1? I'm a couple hours in (haven't even fixed the Defiant yet), but Resolve's old function of persuade/threaten/etc. seems to have been largely absorbed by the new skills of the same name. I haven't seen any dialogue checks for Resolve yet.

If it's not used for dialogue checks anymore, is there a way to respec my character's stats? I'd like to put some points into Perception instead, since Resolve isn't really useful for the Pure Class Wizard I'm running. The inn only lets you redo everything after 1st level, though.

Yeah I wouldn't tailor any of your main stats for dialogue purposes.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Open the console and type Iroll20s and then OpenCharacterCreation. That should allow you to recreate your character.

Edit: Though that will drop you back to level 1 IIRC. You can fix that by typing AddExperienceToLevel <x> afterwards.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Cirosan posted:

There's a small number of Resolve options, but I wouldn't really pump it specifically for them.

Cirosan
Jan 3, 2012

Do I have to recreate my character from scratch with that command for changes to take or can I just, say, increase one stat by X amount and lower Resolve by the same X amount with the AttributeScore command? This thread details how to make more granular tweaks, though I admit my google fu was too weak to find it at first.

Oof, and it looks like this disables achievements too, like with the last game. I understand with Steam and everything there's probably a lot of pressure for this kind of failsafe, but it still stings. Oh well.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Cirosan posted:

Resolve comes up a few times, but less as a dialogue check you take and more of how you respond to certain actions that happen in dialogue. After you fix your ship, you'll meet someone who will read your mind, and resolve lets you resist it; this is entirely about flavor and not having resolve doesn't gently caress you over. There's also at least one unique item that requires a higher than middling resolve to get. There's also at least one dragon you can use a resolve check with.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 23, 2018

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Wizard Styles posted:

But yeah, Druids are the best healers.

Paladins are the best healers in my opinion. They can cast Lay on hands more times than any healer can cast a heal per fight. It has some range but your front line is going to take the most damage. It can be upgraded to give the target a +5 cons buff.

Priests are better than druids mainly since their buffs are just amazing. Open with Circle of Protection, Watchful Presence, Triumph of Crusaders, and Blessing. Let your guys get fully healed from the buff. They still have Holy Radiance, Iconic Projection, and Minor Intercession for spot heals after that. If you get them to the end levels you can then throw the symbol of your god down to explode rooms.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I played a bleak walker in PoE1 and should finish that file and port it over later and I agree with the Sherman thing.

Also how did "Vancian Caste System" not wind up as the thread title!?!?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

So how is druid×paladin? Flaming Bear Claws of Devotion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
Shifter/Bleak Walker is pretty nuts, tanky fast frontliner that stacks multiple lashes with average to high attack speed to shred through things fairly fast, while also having a lot of support via Paladin stuff and Druid spells.

Like every Shifter or Shifter/X though, it starts strongest and gradually loses power as the game goes on. Never bad, I'd say, but ultimately Shifters are kind of just underpowered compared to other similar melee strikers (monk, rogue, etc.)