Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

I lost my grandfather about ten years ago, and I wish I had known about his hidden love for sci-fi. It was only through sheer luck that I found a couple anthologies in a big box of things that were getting thrown out, and I treasure them to this day.

I'm sure that he'd think Star Citizen is stupid and bad on every level.

e: added relevant cat

Anticheese fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

heh.

Ok, yeah, I actually think I liked that movie.
Pandorum too.
So I approve the references.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Hobold posted:

Why is Terrance Howard screaming at those dudes?

He realized that the entire team isn't pod people (yet).

Cymelion is right about the futility of offering feedback, but not for the reason he thinks.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
So after finally catching up with the thread I will take this brief reprieve to say that I bought 3030 Deathwar in the Steam sales. I'm aware that has basically nothing to do with SC but it seems like the sort of spacey game SC fans might like if they weren't so caught up on imagined "fidelity". As for me, I have no idea what I'm doing and the important ship is definitely going to end up being found by someone else. Who needs lots of money though, I have my new found career as a bike messenger/taxi service to focus on.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Redundant posted:

So after finally catching up with the thread I will take this brief reprieve to say that I bought 3030 Deathwar in the Steam sales. I'm aware that has basically nothing to do with SC but it seems like the sort of spacey game SC fans might like if they weren't so caught up on imagined "fidelity". As for me, I have no idea what I'm doing and the important ship is definitely going to end up being found by someone else. Who needs lots of money though, I have my new found career as a bike messenger/taxi service to focus on.

I just started playing it too, it's good poo poo

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Amazing Zimmo posted:

Taken from reddit:

Anyone want to have a crack at how the gently caress this could happen?

Looks like they cracked the indpendent physics grids.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Anticheese posted:

I lost my grandfather about ten years ago, and I wish I had known about his hidden love for sci-fi. It was only through sheer luck that I found a couple anthologies in a big box of things that were getting thrown out, and I treasure them to this day.

I have a couple of books on antenna design and a bubble sextant; My maternal grandfather was a radio operator on board a Shorts Sunderland during the war, and the sextant was how they navigated the North Atlantic looking for uboats.

My other grandfather was a loader for a 25lb howitzer during the North African campaign, but he died when i was younger. He did teach me how to build cotton reel tanks, though.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

starkebn posted:

I just started playing it too, it's good poo poo

The trese brothers ‘star traders: frontiers’ game is a really good star control-alike as long as you forgive the low fidelity, they steer quite close to the Games Workshop IP rapids, so it’s built around not-rogue traders.

Their companion tactical squad game is based on not-space marines too.

Deathwar 3030 has quite the soundtrack, too.

Keplerth is a roguelike that appears to draw from the prison architect/rim world asthetic, but I’m not far along.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 24, 2018

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

https://giant.gfycat.com/SkinnyDampGrison.webm

everything going on around the shoulder area of this dude is extremely :discourse:

e: RIP tables, god I hate webms

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Beet Wagon posted:

everything going on around the shoulder area of this dude is extremely :discourse:

Fidelity :smuggo:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
His shoulders jitter like a lovely SFM animation, holy poo poo

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm the empty casings hovering in midair because lol hitboxes

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

jiggle physics confirmed

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

More gaming saved by CIG.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'm the 10 GB gun model clipping through his shoulder.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beet Wagon posted:

Can't wait to see that animation play on a female wearing a chainmail bikini.

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

I'm the clearly visible eyes that don't look down the sights as I am shooting all over the place.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Slow_Moe posted:

I'm the clearly visible eyes that don't look down the sights as I am shooting all over the place.

He clearly wants to marvel at the fidelity of the gun as it shoots.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Im the mag well with 2 inches of space between the chamber and the magazine where bullets have nothing to load them properly.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

How you're supposed to see anything through that insanely bright and right-in-the-way eyeball HUD overlay thing is beyond me to begin with, so there's not much point in trying to aim at stuff

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Beet Wagon posted:

How you're supposed to see anything through that insanely bright and right-in-the-way eyeball HUD overlay thing is beyond me to begin with, so there's not much point in trying to aim at stuff

They were super proud that they had the Iron Man UI designer onboard, and completely failed to realise that stuff was all about looking flashy and impressive rather than being actually functional and useful for long periods of time.

It's CIG's love of flash over substance in miniature.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

You're not. It is there so that the enemy can get headshots on you in the dark

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bofast posted:

You're not. It is there so that the enemy can get headshots on you in the dark

He has some center mass lights, too. Which is nice, I suppose.

Shoot between the lights.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

You should turn your interior lights on while driving at night. It's amazing.

The questions the cops ask are, at least. Do you know that's stupid, Do you know you could have killed someone, is this your baggie...super drag.

Edit: shouldering for full auto is really not a thing, and fidelitous recoil wouldn't be entirely axial to the barrel considering the mass dumped. God, I hate these guys for their crimes against claimed science.

How's your flight model, dumbasses.

Hav fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 24, 2018

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

How's your flight model, dumbasses.

What flight model? :colbert:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
I like how the rotating barrel there teleports into position

There's a whole lot to like in that animation but I think that one's my favorite. It's incredible that they can't even do their promotional bullshots right

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Someone with an undercover troll account on Reddit say that it looks good because captures the Michael Bay Transformer's aesthetic. They'd loving hate that.

(Like, my Reddit account has no significant post history or karma on their subreddit and is my screenname here, And I assume they have some list of goons.)

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 24, 2018

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Someone with an undercover troll account on Reddit say that it looks good because captures the Michael Bay Transformer's aesthetic. They'd loving hate that.

(Like, my Reddit account has no significant post history or karma on their subreddit and is my screenname here, And I assume they have some list of goons.)

They don't know about my Dolvak account yet :grin:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Bofast posted:

What flight model? :colbert:

The one that Chris Roberts raised 8 million for. The one that was complete, and ready to go. The one that people apparently can't find any evidence of.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

You kidding right? I'm pretty sure half the backers fap to Michael Bay films.

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Im the mag well with 2 inches of space between the chamber and the magazine where bullets have nothing to load them properly.

Hooo, boy. There you gun nuts go again, with your :airquote: Engineering :airquote: and your :airquote: Science :airquote: malarkey.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Agony Aunt posted:

You kidding right? I'm pretty sure half the backers fap to Michael Bay films.

I think you're right. The visually unreadable writhing orgy of mechanical parts that make up the Bay Transformers is exactly the kind of fidelity that the SC backer community opens its wallets for. Old Transformers they'd see as cool but too cartoony.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hobold posted:

Why have they not dropped that idiotic inner thought poo poo yet. It is painfully stupid thing to have.

It's an easy thing to implement.

It lets Chris record a bunch of audio/video getting to play director more.

That's about it!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Frank_Leroux posted:

Hooo, boy. There you gun nuts go again, with your :airquote: Engineering :airquote: and your :airquote: Science :airquote: malarkey.

:downsgun:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

The one that Chris Roberts raised 8 million for. The one that was complete, and ready to go. The one that people apparently can't find any evidence of.

Oh, that flight model.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

It's an easy thing to implement.

It lets Chris record a bunch of audio/video getting to play director more.

That's about it!

Yeah. Should have picked up on the obvious answer.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Holy poo poo gently caress that gif that pushes my card to 99% and stutters my computer

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Thoatse posted:

Holy poo poo gently caress that gif that pushes my card to 99% and stutters my computer

your PC recognized it as Star Citizen

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

The point of rotating barrels on a gun is that it allows a much higher rate of fire, as each barrel gets to cool a little after use and can be reloaded while another is firing. So firstly, that's a terrible idea for a handheld, magazine-fed weapon unless you want to empty a 100 round mag in about 2 seconds. Secondly, where is the heat supposed to disperse to in a vaccuum? Any physicists care to guesstimate how long it would take for the gun to become unusably hot?

It's almost impressive how Star Citizen gets literally nothing right, and the fanboys still rave about "fidelity." Is there anything CIG has done right making this game? Design, programming, anything? Serious question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Sunswipe posted:

The point of rotating barrels on a gun is that it allows a much higher rate of fire, as each barrel gets to cool a little after use and can be reloaded while another is firing. So firstly, that's a terrible idea for a handheld, magazine-fed weapon unless you want to empty a 100 round mag in about 2 seconds. Secondly, where is the heat supposed to disperse to in a vaccuum? Any physicists care to guesstimate how long it would take for the gun to become unusably hot?

It's almost impressive how Star Citizen gets literally nothing right, and the fanboys still rave about "fidelity." Is there anything CIG has done right making this game? Design, programming, anything? Serious question.

Heat is vented through the casings :smuggo: