Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Drummer getting crushed by the machine seems like a pretty clear indication to me that they'll put her in a mech suit and give her Bull's role. She's really taking on a lot of responsibilities from the book; they've already rolled Pa and Sam into her as well. I guess that means we won't be getting the actual character of Bull, which is a shame, but at least the mech suit should be cool.

I wonder if Ashford's punctured lung means he's on a clock now, or if the spin gravity means he can make a full recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Grand Fromage posted:

Also I saw the authors confirm that Cibola Burn will be happening next season, they aren't skipping anything. They didn't say specifics about how it'll be handled or length but someone asked if they'd skip it and they were like "uh no nothing else makes sense if we did that" so.

They might insert at least some of Naomi's flashbacks about Marco and Filip (or scenes of them hitting Martian ships) to introduce them ahead of the events in Nemesis Games. Like they did by introducing Avasarala earlier than in the books.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah they'll probably mess with it, if it were just a season of CB then Avasarala and Bobbie are gone which seems tough to manage.

On the podcast they also said it's ten episodes on Amazon, not 13.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I wouldn't be surprised if Bobbie joins the Roci crew next season. The way she reacted to her squadmates being massive idiots in this week's episode felt like they might be setting her up for becoming disillusioned with military life.

Did she do much in the books between this point and joining the Roci? It's been a while but mostly I remember her hanging around on Mars working for some veterans' organization, which I doubt will make it into the show.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

bloom posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Bobbie joins the Roci crew next season. The way she reacted to her squadmates being massive idiots in this week's episode felt like they might be setting her up for becoming disillusioned with military life.

Did she do much in the books between this point and joining the Roci? It's been a while but mostly I remember her hanging around on Mars working for some veterans' organization, which I doubt will make it into the show.

Bobbie starts working for the veterans' program pretty much right after Io in the books. What I suspect they'll do on the show is move up Avasarala asking her to investigate missing MCRN assets.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

She does investigations on Mars for Avasarala in book 5, then is with the Roci crew most of book six. She isn't officially part of the crew until somewhere in the gap between six and seven. They could probably get away with having her join next season though, parallel her returning to the Marines with Naomi going to the Behemoth and both realizing they don't belong there anymore.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
They could have her join the Roci crew on Ilus, but moving the investigation forward instead gives the show a ready-made storyline to follow the characters still in the solar system. I'm sure the writers would find something for her to contribute to Slugworld, but offhand I don't know how much Bobbie's presence there would really add.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If anything it'd take away from Amos spending the entire time threatening people.

They could definitely move some book five material forward to have storylines happening both in the solar system and on Ilus. Seems more TV friendly.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Grand Fromage posted:

She does investigations on Mars for Avasarala in book 5, then is with the Roci crew most of book six. She isn't officially part of the crew until somewhere in the gap between six and seven. They could probably get away with having her join next season though, parallel her returning to the Marines with Naomi going to the Behemoth and both realizing they don't belong there anymore.

That or her returning to Mars only to see the entire society fall apart because of all the new worlds beyond the gate. Would make sense to make that the source of her disillusionment. Plus we'd finally have Martian characters that aren't military :v:

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I was a bit disappointed they didnt do the whole "up turns sideways" thing when they spun up the drum. With everybody scared that the behemoth would fall apart, and everybody traumatized from the last time poo poo went flying all over the place, it could have made the moment a lot more tense

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

We wouldn't have seen that though, the scene was on the bridge and the bridge isn't in the drum.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
They didn't really address all of that floating debris which will now be moving at a pretty good clip relative to the "ground."

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They didn't really address all of that floating debris which will now be moving at a pretty good clip relative to the "ground."

Initially spinning up the drum to 0.001G and then bringing it up to 0.33G over a few days wouldn't have made for much of a dramatic moment.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 21, 2018

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

Milo and POTUS posted:

Ashford will start a fuss and James Holden will escape yet again to cause more havoc. He can't keep getting away with it.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3oEjHCWdU7F4hkcudy/giphy.gif

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ashford looks like he's close to losing it, in his current state I can easily picture Holden's news pushing him over the edge into trying to blow up the ring. They've done a really good job of building him as a character to this point, so I assume that it'll still be in a sympathetic way.

Overall one of my favorite things about the show is what it's done with the villains. In the books most of them aren't much as characters; the real villains are institutions and attitudes, with the villainous characters just sort of serving as convenient personifications of those things - corporate greed, jingoism, xenophobia, etc. In the show they've all become fleshed out and more nuanced - Errinwright, Ashford, even Mao. They're interesting to watch in their own right, not just as foils for the heroes.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
been listening to some of the audiobooks this past week, finished 7 yesterday. i cannot wait for the first Amazon-funded Avasarala scene, when they can let her talk how she really talks

and somehow Amos and Bobbie finally dancing was everything I hoped it would be

i can take or leave the Illus business but am all the way on-board for the show taking on the Free Navy and Laconia

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

been listening to some of the audiobooks this past week, finished 7 yesterday. i cannot wait for the first Amazon-funded Avasarala scene, when they can let her talk how she really talks

and somehow Amos and Bobbie finally dancing was everything I hoped it would be

i can take or leave the Illus business but am all the way on-board for the show taking on the Free Navy and Laconia

I hope they introduce duterte e: lol duarte more drat gently, otherwise you think you’re watching a hard scifi show where the main drama comes from too drat many people being idiotic assholes, and then suddenly it’s alien loving spaceship invasions

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 23, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I would expect book 4 to get a pretty short treatment. Only the PM stuff towards the end is really important for the overarcing plot and they probably don't want to have too many outdoor scenes since it would be a drastic visual change.

If they get that over relatively fast they should have plenty of time for setting up Marco and Duarte. I'm really curious to see what they do with Marco because I found him a really crappy villain in the books, but the way the show has improved almost everything they'll probably make him work better.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

bloom posted:

I would expect book 4 to get a pretty short treatment. Only the PM stuff towards the end is really important for the overarcing plot and they probably don't want to have too many outdoor scenes since it would be a drastic visual change.

If they get that over relatively fast they should have plenty of time for setting up Marco and Duarte. I'm really curious to see what they do with Marco because I found him a really crappy villain in the books, but the way the show has improved almost everything they'll probably make him work better.

Yeah, after increasing the pace every season it would be hard to justify 10 episodes of Holden and Stooge McMurderface passive-aggressively stepping on each other's toes and death slugs before finally fighting during the only major plot point.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

I do hope we get a flashback to Avasarala and Mao at the end of Caliban's war.

quote:

“This is not a negotiation,” Avasarala continued. “This is me gloating. I’m going to drop you into a hole so deep even your wife will forget you ever existed. I’m going to use Errinwright’s old position to dismantle everything you ever built, piece by piece, and scatter it to the winds. I’ll make sure you get to watch it happening. The one thing your hole will have is twenty-four-hour news. And since you and I will never meet again, I want to make sure my name is on your mind every time I destroy something else you left behind. I am going to erase you.”

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Book Ashford sucked and show Ashford is awesome so I trust they can make Marco and whatshisface on Ilus more interesting. I did like the idea of an antagonist who was just Amos if you're not in his tribe, they should lean a little harder on that for the show.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Grand Fromage posted:

Book Ashford sucked and show Ashford is awesome so I trust they can make Marco and whatshisface on Ilus more interesting. I did like the idea of an antagonist who was just Amos if you're not in his tribe, they should lean a little harder on that for the show.

Yeah. If they gave Holden more of a focus on Miller and the PM and had Amos be the one who interacted more with whatshisface then that could work pretty well and be good development.

It'll be interesting to see if they bring back Basia and Havelock like the books did. The latter is pretty much guaranteed I'd assume.

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

PriorMarcus posted:

Yeah. If they gave Holden more of a focus on Miller and the PM and had Amos be the one who interacted more with whatshisface then that could work pretty well and be good development.

It'll be interesting to see if they bring back Basia and Havelock like the books did. The latter is pretty much guaranteed I'd assume.

Oooh, yeah. Havelock would give a nice "in" to show the charter expedition just like in the books, if they could get the actor back.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
Apparently the first draft of whichever episode he gets spiked to the wall in s1 he died in, and they changed it because Abraham and Frank were like "uh, he comes back later"

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

That's a little odd, considering they didn't bring him back to be Miller's contact in Protogen. He was a pov character in book 4 right? It's been a while.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i really wonder whether they're going to start putting the cast in old-age makeup to better underline the time jump between the rocks falling and the Laconian conquest of Medina Station

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

Svaha posted:

That's a little odd, considering they didn't bring him back to be Miller's contact in Protogen. He was a pov character in book 4 right? It's been a while.

Yeah he's POV in CW.

edit: mistyped, meant that he was POV in CB.

spiderbyte fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 24, 2018

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

i really wonder whether they're going to start putting the cast in old-age makeup to better underline the time jump between the rocks falling and the Laconian conquest of Medina Station

I imagine they would have to, unless they do some sort of time dilatation type handwaving. I get the feeling they are going to try and find a way around it, because no one is going to want to wear old age makeup for 3 entire seasons.

spiderbyte posted:

Yeah he's POV in CW.

I don't remember that at all... I know he was in it, but I don't remember him being POV till CB.

Svaha fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 24, 2018

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

Svaha posted:

I imagine they would have to, unless they do some sort of time dilatation type handwaving. I get the feeling they are going to try and find a way around it, because no one is going to want to wear old age makeup for 3 entire seasons.

I don't remember that at all... I know he was in it, but I don't remember him being POV till CB.

Oops, I meant CB. My bad.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Svaha posted:

Yeah I've got a suspicion that they're gonna have to handwave the 30 year timeskip somehow because I cannot imagine a way to make that play well on TV. Really I don't think it even played that well in the book. But then on the other hand the entire final part of the series absolutely needs 30 years to have passed to work the way it does, so I dunno :shrug:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt they'll even adapt books 7-8-9

They said they'd finish the series in 5 seasons. The way things are going they can finish the series w the end of book 6

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Or they'll pull a Twin Peaks and wait 25 years

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

Phi230 posted:

They said they'd finish the series in 5 seasons. The way things are going they can finish the series w the end of book 6

Where did they say that? I would think Amazon would want more than 2 seasons for their trouble.

spiderbyte
Nov 14, 2016

Phi230 posted:

Where did they say that? I thought they said they had a 6 season trajectory in the broad strokes, which is pretty reasonable. Book 3 is going to be half a season from beginning to end, and I would imagine CB is going to be less than that. I think they can condense it enough to get all the books in 6 seasons.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Considering the books have magic anti-aging meds and everyone lives 100+ years, all the show would have to do is a little grey hair here and there and some padding in Alex's midsection.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Enigma posted:

some padding in Alex's midsection.

Unless it's a running joke on The Churn (the podcast) that I haven't picked up on, Cas Anvar actually has been wearing padding until a couple episodes ago. There was some mention of considering padding him more over the course of the show, but that part might've been a joke.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I also have never seen anything about five seasons.

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
I had heard 7, and they planned to adapt all 9 books

kerwyn fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 25, 2018

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Ditching the 30 year jump is something I'm looking forward to. They barely paid attention to it in the books, with all the 65 year old characters just complaining about their knees occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Well except for developing a space navy with space Hitler. That wasn't an overnight job.

• Locked thread