Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
What's an extractor? Is that like a fancy vent hood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Anne Whateley posted:

I thought what mattered was women's opinions?

I'm a female and would like to know about this bathroom as my gender dictates my expertise.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Just another name for a vent hood yeah. Though it implies that it vents outside rather than just being a recirculating type.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
Ah, thank you.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Rotten Cookies posted:

Anyone ever seen a carpeted kitchen counter? Goes from the carpeted kitchen floor, wraps up the wall and onto the counter? Someone has to have made this egregious monstrosity.

Almost but not quite a carpeted counter...also not a kitchen.

But then I also found this, which would be fine for a backsplash but is awful for the counter.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
Is there a word for when a lot of care and effort go in to making something hideous?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

just another posted:

Is there a word for when a lot of care and effort go in to making something hideous?

Java

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’m wondering if the same might be true of cookers since my current plan is an expensive range master, but at first glance it appears to not be the case.

Screw going commercial grade- I'm jealous of consumer ranges in the UK.

Just look at that! Tall convection oven sized perfectly for 9x13 pans, broiler right at waist height, and a door mounted roasting pan? It's all so convenient!

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Holy poo poo that's a helluva oven

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

whalesteak posted:

Screw going commercial grade- I'm jealous of consumer ranges in the UK.

Just look at that! Tall convection oven sized perfectly for 9x13 pans, broiler right at waist height, and a door mounted roasting pan? It's all so convenient!

That's an interesting beast. Aga are better known for their cast iron heat storage cookers which are on 24/7, is that one of those or have they branched out?

My current front runner is this, but at the moment I'm not so sure.

Edit: it looks like the tall right hand oven is a common design on these ranges if you're going for the 90cm models, the 110s have a second full oven and storage drawer instead.

Jaded Burnout fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jun 24, 2018

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Just a point from having personally tested dozens of those ranges in a laboratory seeing:

You're still better off piecing together a set of Domino hobs and a pair of cheap multi function electric ovens.

You'll have to work to make it look how you want but the cost will be lower or similar, it'll be easier to maintain or repair and actual functionality will be far better.

That's my professional opinion.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Just a point from having personally tested dozens of those ranges in a laboratory seeing:

You're still better off piecing together a set of Domino hobs and a pair of cheap multi function electric ovens.

You'll have to work to make it look how you want but the cost will be lower or similar, it'll be easier to maintain or repair and actual functionality will be far better.

That's my professional opinion.

That's very interesting, thanks for the notes.

That said, :o

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Like my wife you seem to have a knack for finding the most expensive version of anything.

An induction hob and teppanyaki plate would be 25%ish of that price and easier to clean and more versatile.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Like my wife you seem to have a knack for finding the most expensive version of anything.

An induction hob and teppanyaki plate would be 25%ish of that price and easier to clean and more versatile.

Haha yeah their gas two rings are 550ish and their induction is 730 or so. So not quite 25% but that is the most expensive one.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

My current front runner is this, but at the moment I'm not so sure.

Edit: it looks like the tall right hand oven is a common design on these ranges if you're going for the 90cm models, the 110s have a second full oven and storage drawer instead.

Yeah, I've seen this type of oven from Leisure and Smeg too, I just couldn't find a good pic of the Rangemaster one with the doors open. I'm jealous of the tall oven specifically, but the 110 you've linked is really gorgeous.
US ranges all look so appliancey. UK makers have such a lovely variation on design. If I want a cooker that looks era-appropriate to my kitchen the only good option in the states is to drop biiig bucks on restoring an actual antique.

That is 100% the best and most logical solution. But the rangemasters are so pretty.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

whalesteak posted:

I'm jealous of the tall oven specifically

Would you not encounter issues with heat distribution? I know they're fan ovens but I can't imagine all those chikans cooking at the same rate.

whalesteak posted:

US ranges all look so appliancey. UK makers have such a lovely variation on design. If I want a cooker that looks era-appropriate to my kitchen the only good option in the states is to drop biiig bucks on restoring an actual antique.

This is true of ranges but they're the exception unfortunately, they're high end almost by definition here. Any normal person oven will be a stainless steel square with a window in front.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

all those chikans

hehehehehe

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Jaded Burnout posted:

Would you not encounter issues with heat distribution? I know they're fan ovens but I can't imagine all those chikans cooking at the same rate.

Maybe I'm being optimistic about the capabilities of the fan oven. I didn't read reviews since none of these were affordable to me. I just had visions of neat stacks of baked goods for church/kids events, roasting trays of veg all at once for Sunday night meal prep and not having to juggle sides when the in-laws come over for Friday dinner.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

whalesteak posted:

That is 100% the best and most logical solution. But the rangemasters are so pretty.

I'm am engineer, sorry, my Vernier doesn't appear to have this "pretty" marked on it anywhere.

:v:

Also if you want to batch cook the best is either 2 identical fan ovens side by side or a 90cm single fan oven. 60cm wide cookie trays X 3 shelves

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 24, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Tiled kitchen counter seems like the worst loving thing. Unless.....

Anyone ever seen a carpeted kitchen counter? Goes from the carpeted kitchen floor, wraps up the wall and onto the counter? Someone has to have made this egregious monstrosity.

Late 80's skating rinks, man. Same terrifying blacklight-reactive low-pile carpet on the floor, up the front, and over the top of the checkout counter.

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

High-power vent hood, usually with built in lighting and make-up air so you don't suck all the AC out of the building through the kitchen.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 25, 2018

Drunk Beekeeper
Jan 13, 2007

Is this deception?
Is a square boob light still a boob light? I’m considering a couple of these for our entryway.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Drunk Beekeeper posted:

Is a square boob light still a boob light? I’m considering a couple of these for our entryway.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like it :greencube:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

just another posted:

The 70s.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Liquid Communism posted:

Late 80's skating rinks, man. Same terrifying blacklight-reactive low-pile carpet on the floor, up the front, and over the top of the checkout counter.

Not sure if that blue material is carpet but I bet it is.

I also like that Arts and Crafts boob light.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Apparently from a Grohe catalog. I wish they had posted more from it.

TheLastManStanding fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 29, 2018

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

TheLastManStanding posted:

So of course they pick two instruments that hate humidity (flute corks/pads, all of the violin).

Those poor parrots. I wonder if they talk about the horrors they've had to put up with.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

effika posted:

So of course they pick two instruments that hate humidity (flute corks/pads, all of the violin).

Those poor parrots. I wonder if they talk about the horrors they've had to put up with.

Keeping pretty much any psittacine in “normal” captive conditions is animal cruelty- to say nothing of a Blue Danube-themed coke orgy hot tub room, complete with lebensborn cabana wards.

For the most part, parrots want to be in gigantic family flocks with miles-wide territories. A lot of the behavior we associate with pet parrots is them literally going crazy.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Is that carpet up against the tub? :eyepop:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Hey kids, play me a tune. Me, your mother, and the parrots are going to take a bath.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I like to imagine they just What Lies Beneath-d their mom and are cruelly serenading her in her last moments.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

TheLastManStanding posted:

This is the most dumbass-decadent image I've ever seen and I love it.

I also like Magic Hate Ball's theory.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I am imagining that they are human children in a parrot zoo, run by the macaws.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I like to imagine they just What Lies Beneath-d their mom and are cruelly serenading her in her last moments.

I was thinking something similar. There's a serious occult sacrifice vibe to this whole thing. Maybe the macaws are inhabititated by chittering elder Gods that drive mortal men to mad acts like human sacrifice and carpeted master baths.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Hey my dudes, can I please get a quick sanity check on this redesign?

Before:

After:

My bathroom is extremely small (just a hair over 5' x 7') and the existing design is a huge pain: the bath is a mangey old 'jacuzzi' bath that'd never been cleaned by the previous owners so we just shower in it, and has a wider area for showering which means the door too the room can't open fully. Additionally, a huge sink overhangs the bath, and the old airing cupboard (with a new combi boiler we put in) is large but entirely under used.

My goal was to make the room less claustrophobic. I have flipped the bath end-on-end to give some floorspace by the doorway, with a small space to stow laundry/towels and a towel-rail. We inherited an anemic electric shower (for no discernable reason) so will replace that with a rainfall shower head mounted in the roof cavity, and a filler outlet in the bath itself, so no visible taps. Additionally, rebuilding the boiler cupboard at a much shallower depth so a low profile sink can be mounted on a cupboard in the alcove. Access to the boiler will be via a hinged mirror above the sink, and access to the pipework/valves underneath via the rear of the cupboard.

Of course, changing materials is in scope but for the purposes of the illustration I've left as-is. Due to the size of the space we're thinking of keeping it light, but probably more white than the beige and brown tiles it currently is. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (the rest of the house is in a craftsman style but we're not wedded to that).

My only real doubts are around the sink configuration - it would be an option to put it into the space vacated by the bath but I think that's less clean and I'd be losing floorspace, and the gully created by the bath screen and wall towards the sink (maybe too claustrophobic?). Thoughts?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Looks fine to me

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

My only real doubts are around the sink configuration - it would be an option to put it into the space vacated by the bath but I think that's less clean and I'd be losing floorspace, and the gully created by the bath screen and wall towards the sink (maybe too claustrophobic?). Thoughts?

I see your point but I think it'll probably be fine.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Have you considered recessing the tub into the floor?:females:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

Have you considered recessing the tub into the floor?:females:

You mean, so it would protrude through the ceiling of my hallway? Yes, of course. :) I have managed to dissuade the wife from a ground-level jacuzzi in the garden, having said that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I like it. Putting the sink away from the door makes sense. You'll spend a lot of time there brushing teeth and popping zits, it will be good to not have the door banging your as.
Maybe a second accessway to the boiler through an adjacent room?