Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Terrorforge posted:

Horizon has little in the way of AI improvements, just a few tweaks here and there I think. I've been using it with Pack Attack, which seems to work well. It also doubles as a limited version of the "moar enemy" mods mentioned above, with features that allow you to increase the number of spawns and introduce hostile patrols.

I've never tried Immersive Gameplay, but looking at its description it seems to create a high-lethality environment where it only takes a few shots to die, which I guess makes it closer to Requiem's "no room for mistakes" balancing. Horizon takes a more resource management-based approach where the average Raider is unlikely to kill you, but you'll be cursing yourself hoarse because you let her hit you enough times that you had to expend another precious bandage. IG also promises a normalized experience throughout the game, whereas Horizon follows a more traditional hardcore RPG path where you start out crawling face-down in the dirt but eventually build yourself into the scourge of the wasteland - although it's still more sensible at any level than vanilla.

And of course, Horizon with its numerous innovations and alterations has a much steeper learning curve. The payoff is that because it changes so much, it fixes a lot of stuff you didn't even realize was broken, like categorizing useful "junk" like baseballs and bottles in a way that prevents you from accidentally destroying them.

Thanks for the overview. Horizon sounds like what I'd prefer in most regards except for the 'high-lethality combat'. So are there any compatible mods to improve Horizon combat in that way? I prefer combat to be the fast-paced, high-damage, glass cannon style with damage equality between PC and NPC.

For Skyrim I made a personal patch to give a 50% increase in damage output per increase in difficulty level for both PC and NPC. Would that kind of patch be viable for survival mode in Fallout 4 and would it also still be balanced for Horizon?

EDIT: Apart from AI mods like the one you posted, which I intend to check out.

Corsec fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Blast of Confetti posted:

Anyone using Sim Settlements? The auto build system is neat because I'm awful at it but you have to assign a mayor for it. AFAIK you can only make companions your mayors so you can't have a companion then also you'll never be able to have a mayor for every settlement.

Am I missing something or does it really only make companions mayorable?

Any unique NPC can be a mayor. Sturges, Marcy, Jun, the Abernathys, the Finches. Heck, even Sheffield.

Poke around simsettlements.com, there are mods adding them in. They're not part of the base ROTC mod, but several add-on packs added them in with little or no fanfare.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Corsec posted:

Thanks for the overview. Horizon sounds like what I'd prefer in most regards except for the 'high-lethality combat'. So are there any compatible mods to improve Horizon combat in that way? I prefer combat to be the fast-paced, high-damage, glass cannon style with damage equality between PC and NPC.

For Skyrim I made a personal patch to give a 50% increase in damage output per increase in difficulty level for both PC and NPC. Would that kind of patch be viable for survival mode in Fallout 4 and would it also still be balanced for Horizon?

Horizon combat is pretty much already like that, but if you want to tweak it further there's a nice Survival Options mod that lets you easily tweak values like overall damage multipliers for player and NPCs.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Anyone using Sim Settlements? The auto build system is neat because I'm awful at it but you have to assign a mayor for it. AFAIK you can only make companions your mayors so you can't have a companion then also you'll never be able to have a mayor for every settlement.

Am I missing something or does it really only make companions mayorable?

I'm using this. I'm pretty sure that only companions are eligible to be mayors under the official mods.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/29861

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Corsec posted:

Horizon has that option built in. In the FOMOD installer there's a "difficulty" option which increases the amount of damage you take by up to x3.5. It doesn't affect the damage enemies take, but between normalized hp/dr and increased locational damage (hint: the head is no longer the weak spot of every single enemy, but the weak spots are very weak) they go down pretty quick from the start.

Oh, and if you install Pack Attack, make sure to go in the MCM settings and disable additional super mutant resistances. It's enabled by default and makes them unreasonably tanky.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Horizon combat is pretty much already like that, but if you want to tweak it further there's a nice Survival Options mod that lets you easily tweak values like overall damage multipliers for player and NPCs.

Horizon is not compatible with Survival Options because they both mess with hc_manager. I would presume it just overwrites Horizon's changes to food etc., so if you wanted to tweak that it's probably fine, but I would not recommend using it to e.g. just change damage multipliers but keep Horizon's survival changes.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Do people talk about Playstation modding in here

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I'm not running any texture mods, I'm only using ENBOOST, and I'm getting atrocious load times (that disable vsync during loading didn't work on my HDD) and now I'm getting stuck with low res super blurred out textures.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So how about that new Fallout huh? makes you appreciate the ones with RPG in them still. Lets have some mods!

Truly Legendary is a crafted modular device that gives you the ability to upgrade vanilla and general weaponry with chosen benefits! comes in a toned down Lore friendly version too.

Knuckles (Knuckle Dusters Rework) revamps and improves these lethal little pocket bashing tools into something worth using now with the game.

Captainnoob's Improve Anti-Materiel Rifle makes this CC weapon worth using.

Pipe Assault Rifle adds a souped up dangerous pipe AR weapon for those who enjoy the pipe themed weaponry of the game.

Deadly Pipe Receivers adds some newer more damage dealing parts to the same weapons for late game use too.

Elysium Inspired AK-47 does what it says.

Want something more lore friendly? Handmade Rifle Extension adds a bunch more mods that can make it appear more like an AK-47 or for those who want to keep things simple here is another mod that replaces the improvised shovel stock with several new modded parts. Nuka World DLC needed of course.

Misc To Melee enables you to turn some of the minor junk items into actual minor but lethal melee weapons perfect for murdering.

Get Medieval is a bit more old school and adds a small selection of medieval melee maces, clubs and blades to wreck up the Commonwealth with.

Ever heard of waiting for a bus to turn up and two show up at once? consider the bus a bolt action vintage rifle. Lee Enfield by TactaGhoul or Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1 by asXas. I like the latter as it is stupidly mod patriotic goodness.

Bergmann 1896 Automatic Pistol another old world vintage pistol that fits with the lore of the game.

Fusillade Grenade Launcher adds a modern revolving six chamber grenade launcher for those who like explosions.

Monster Tally Hunting Rifle retexture just adds some amusing wood carving into the stock of your base hunting rifle showing monster kills.

Classic 10MM Pistol Sound Overhaul for those who got the Tunnel Snakes add with the CC this makes your gun sound less lame.

Tesla Rifle and other Electricity Rifles improvement makes these DLC guns a lot more lethal and worth using now.

Ballistic Realism Overhaul 2 an extensive overhaul of guns, shooting, loot and factions. Try it out perhaps?

Robotic Prosthetic Arms Deus Ex style cyborg robo arms. Only for female characters at the moment.

Synthful Traitor Cyberpunk Outfit

MGS Raiden Armor

FO4 Piercings adds a selection of nose, lips, ear and eyebrow piercings to your character.

CROSS_MojaveManhunter a bad rear end looking combination of cowboy and NCR Ranger gear.

The Loner Gear Pack some interesting variations of a custom outfit set for lonely people.

Dynamic Power Armor - Power Armor Diversification and Backpacks Compendium changes some things up visually and game systems wise about power armor.

Simple Smokes pops a cigarette in your mouth as long as the buff effect is active from smoking. ARE YOU SMOKING YET?

GLOWING QUANTUM X-01 POWER ARMOUR makes that experimental armor glow like the tech marvel it is. Nuka World DLC needed.

Classic Chems & Drugs replaces the FO4 models of chems with their FNV/FO3 versions.

Radiation Sound Remover mutes the Geiger counter clicking in game.

No More Jet FX drops bullet time mode from using Jet.

Shut Up And Trade A simple fix that removes the "thanks for your help" dialogue which blocks you from trading, bartering, etc. with settlers after the settlement is attacked.

Lore Friendly Posters - Disappearing Mesh Fix Patched .nif files to stop Lore Friendly Posters from blinking out when you are looking at them from an angle.

Sweet Roll 5000 - Xtreme Sweetroll Mesh and Texture Replacer

Grieving Raider - A Most Important Mod some things aren't worth dying for.

Over 160 Automatron Decals by bobbz1 adds a huge amount of lore friendly source logos, faction icons and graphics to plaster all over your own robot creations!

Ghoulish Ghouls ensures that Feral Ghouls will eventually get up and keep on living until you blows off their heads or mangle them good.

ShieldBoy lets you craft a disposable sci-fi style energy shield bubble device for protection.

Gone Fishin adds a simplified fishing mechanic to water sources around the world. Catch fish or junk!

Metal Detector

Auto Walk mode

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 13, 2018

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
anyone know any mods that change up the Nuka World good ending so that it's objectively not a worse way to go than just agreeing to let raiders run roughshod over the commonwealth in terms of reward?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

There is a mod where if you are Minutemen you can manifest destiny their rear end.

Moonside
Jan 27, 2006
mooonnnssiiddeee
Does anyone know another place to download the latest F4SE? The website is down.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Theres also a mod that adds a bunch of buildable areas to nukaworld so if you really wanted you could do it all in nuka world without having to take over any commonwealth settlements besides the tutorial one

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
^^ could also use conquest to just make throwaway settlements anywhere

Moonside posted:

Does anyone know another place to download the latest F4SE? The website is down.

http://f4se.silverlock.org/ works for me fine

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

HORMELCHILI posted:

Theres also a mod that adds a bunch of buildable areas to nukaworld so if you really wanted you could do it all in nuka world without having to take over any commonwealth settlements besides the tutorial one

Just let me take over the parks myself as part of my "Ayup Man" Overboss of the Commonwealthrun.

"Preston, you and Marcy Long, go run Kiddy Kingdom for me." <quietly turns radioactive misters back on>

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Deadpool2099 has a redux edition of his Service Rifle mod out.

Putting the guns of New Vegas back into the Commonwealth and they all look so good.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yeah and it has a bunch of standalone mods that recreate unique versions of it from FNV.

I am still waiting for some more melee weapon love though.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
axes are a thing fallout...

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

new bladerunnermod looking cool,(the shootymans mod was actuallymentioned earlier, just forgot the name

i'm kidding,but this is still sorta cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ7Busuk--Q&list=PLZzqvHPI5kNBD4i7rRGwIHGhrGJylC-MI

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

AkumaHokoru posted:

There's a nice fire axe mod or two, although I think the hotplate "burn damage" version is pitiful when there's shishkabob nozzles for a fire axe *WITH REAL FIRE*. :black101:

Still waiting on a proper single-action revolver import from New Vegas... :clint:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm using a hair that is side shaved and the texture on it keeps changing at different angles anyone know how to get it to stop that?

Edit: Nevermind it's just a known bug with the mod and no fix.

cheesetriangles fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jun 16, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm using a hair that is side shaved and the texture on it keeps changing at different angles anyone know how to get it to stop that?

Edit: Nevermind it's just a known bug with the mod and no fix.

Get the mod that adds more hairstyles and get a similar one to Unladylike.

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Sperglord Firecock posted:

anyone know any mods that change up the Nuka World good ending so that it's objectively not a worse way to go than just agreeing to let raiders run roughshod over the commonwealth in terms of reward?

If I understand the question correctly, https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18121 is the one I use ..

I still eventually kill them (raiders) all, of course.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Been playing some Skyrim SE, I think fallout has way too many things like power armor, and not enough things like havoc enabled slo-mo limbs & gibs being rendered from bodies by .50 cal. I dont want burning people to keep trying to attack me with a machete, they have other, more pressing matters to hand, like being vastly hotter than usual.

the problem with hacking bodies up in nifskope/bodyslide is choosing something compatible and maybe having to deal with the general public.
also I dunno, do i really want to change [Fallout 4 to] a world where children & dismemberment exist?

Edit : yeah, that makes more sense.

staberind fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 17, 2018

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

AkumaHokoru posted:

The bladed tire iron is basically just an axe.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Bethesda should just make children invincible, and run away and dissappear whenever combat starts. Once combat is over if at least one of the child's parents / caregivers / etc. are still alive he or she reappears, otherwise the child never comes back. The player can interpret the kid's fate however they want.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Nevets posted:

Bethesda should just make children invincible, and run away and dissappear whenever combat starts. Once combat is over if at least one of the child's parents / caregivers / etc. are still alive he or she reappears, otherwise the child never comes back. The player can interpret the kid's fate however they want.

The kids at certain settlements do that, more or less. Cower and hide during the fighting then run away and disappear if you kill the adults.

Unfortunately I don't think "when combat starts" is a very useful metric, because the main problem I've had with unkillable children is that they cock up stealth murdering. They count as witnesses, but you can't strategically pick them off to reduce the number of eyes around like you would with adults.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
So I'm in the late stage of assembling and debugging my Horizon modlist, and a bit disappointed about the lack of up-to-date patches for NPC, companion and quest mods. Specifically, the Horizon patch for NPCs Travel is out of date and buggy. NoPlace Is Safe - Hunted Encounters doesn't have any patches.

So just how badly unbalanced does Horizon become when NPCs, companions and new quests aren't patched? I'm asking because I'm trying to assess whether to include them regardless, or save them for a seperate non-Horizon run.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Okay, I think I just didn't unlock enough since I'm only five hours in to my save. I'll start branching out and helping the bums who bother me when I walk by

e:I got Sheffield and asked him to work for me. No option to make him a mayor. Hope my game isn't bugged.

Hi, hope you see this (since you posted this last week) but it turns out it was a separate mod I had downloaded and forgot about :

Sim Settlements Mayors

Sorry about that!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any good mods that improve companion functionality without getting too feature bloated? I may like the writing for some of the companions in FO4 but their actual AI, navigation and basically everything about them apart from the dialogue is appalling.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there any good mods that improve companion functionality without getting too feature bloated? I may like the writing for some of the companions in FO4 but their actual AI, navigation and basically everything about them apart from the dialogue is appalling.

this is pretty feature heavy but anything you dont want is easily ignored

theres also this but i havent used it

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Corsec posted:

So I'm in the late stage of assembling and debugging my Horizon modlist, and a bit disappointed about the lack of up-to-date patches for NPC, companion and quest mods. Specifically, the Horizon patch for NPCs Travel is out of date and buggy. NoPlace Is Safe - Hunted Encounters doesn't have any patches.

So just how badly unbalanced does Horizon become when NPCs, companions and new quests aren't patched? I'm asking because I'm trying to assess whether to include them regardless, or save them for a seperate non-Horizon run.

Depends entirely on the mod. NPCs could either have too much or too little health. Bethesda decided for whatever reason to not give (most) any NPCs any endurance. Most mods follow suit. In fact, I am uncertain endurance would even benefit NPCs at all. Instead, most NPCs are given a flat health value, per NPC. Horizon largely normalizes NPC health, so unpatched low level NPCs will probably be incredibly weak. Unpatched high level NPCs on the other hand might have 3-6x too much health relative anything in their respective class. It depends how close the mod follows Bethesda's templates.

Generally, I can't recommend it

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
If anyone's looking to get a head start on 76:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/32582

:v:

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Azhais posted:

If anyone's looking to get a head start on 76:

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/32582

:v:

I might actually do a playthrough with that. Well, "play" anyway. Not gonna be much "through."

Was there really not a mod like that before? I know Zombie Walkers has an option to replace every human NPC with zombies, but it seems like "remove all NPCs" would be a fairly obvious mod for the nutters who want FROST without having to actually play FROST, especially since it could've been banged out in a fraction of the time it would take to make an actual overhaul..

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I was going to play some Fallout 4 and accidentally opened the launcher, which proceeded to "helpfully" set all my settings to Ultra and now I can barely get 40 fps in Diamond City and the surrounding areas even with mods to increase the performance.

Is there an updated and useful list of what settings to change and where (preferably in the ini) for performance gains? I had already spent so much time fixing this stuff to get a decent looking game with a steady framerate when the game came out and now one accidental click undid all of that. :negative:

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Your Computer posted:

So I was going to play some Fallout 4 and accidentally opened the launcher, which proceeded to "helpfully" set all my settings to Ultra and now I can barely get 40 fps in Diamond City and the surrounding areas even with mods to increase the performance.

Is there an updated and useful list of what settings to change and where (preferably in the ini) for performance gains? I had already spent so much time fixing this stuff to get a decent looking game with a steady framerate when the game came out and now one accidental click undid all of that. :negative:

Run BethIni and it'll tweak your settings easily. You can just hit the "Recommended" button or drill down.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/69787/

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm using this one, and it's turning out to be a lot of fun, especially Dogmeat's "Alpha Dog" perk.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/20613

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Does anyone know which Horizon-compatible mods can expand settlement building area?

I'm asking because I've been using All Settlements Extended but in testing I've discovered it's incompatible with Horizon. I've been building my Horizon modlist and this is literally the last thing left to fix.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I think there's a horizon patch for some of the expansion mods e.g. the mods themselves don't advertise compatibility

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Chronojam posted:

I think there's a horizon patch for some of the expansion mods e.g. the mods themselves don't advertise compatibility

I had noticed there's one here; Unofficial Horizon - All Settlements Extended Patch, but it's not been confirmed stable for 1.5 and isnt listed on the Horizon Compatibility Patches Center. Honestly, I was hoping someone already had experience with settlement expansion mods plus Horizon and would save me the trouble of a few hours of more playtesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I think I have stepped on every goddamn landmine in this entire game.