Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I didn't get into the show until the furor over the cancellation, I had always conflated the little I knew about The Expanse with what little I knew about Dark Matter and wasn't really interested. Checked it out and it hooked me hard, I probably watched the whole thing over the course of a week and a half.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I know a few people who between me always mentioning how the show is the best plus all the recent media attention started the show. What I hear from people generally is:
-It's boring.
-What's the plot? Nothing's happening, everything's flashbacks I don't get what's going on.
-The accents are stupid.
-Who's the hero? Everyone seems terrible.
-Is this a detective/cop show or a scifi? Pick your genre! You can only be one thing!!!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

Lol I just looked at the numbers and ratings have gone up a full 20% since cancellation, that's loving absurd. Canceling the show was the best thing Syfy ever did for it.

Also show will have a better funded future with Amazon.

People can also watch it easier especially overseas and won't have the cheesy censoring for Avasarala warpath language.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

bring back old gbs posted:

Yeah "They left me here all alone, they never came for me." especially.

It was probably the single best scene in the show and now it's even better

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was probably the single best scene in the show and now it's even better
This. The fact that Season 3 hasn't had a scene like that is the only reason I think Season 2 is superior.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Holden's Mass Effect moment could have been that moment but I guess they ran out of money to do it well

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Season 2 is very weak in the middle, and Holden's captain ahab routine is too, I'd call 3 an easy winner.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I really liked the scene of Bobby defecting because it finally showed a Martian thinking for once.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mu Zeta posted:

I really liked the scene of Bobby defecting because it finally showed a Martian thinking for once.

that aerial shot of her running from one embassy to the other is :awesome:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

note ... to ... self ... invest ... in ... embassy ... barbed ... wire.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I think I missed what happened to the monsterpods

Didnt a shitload get launched at mars and stuff? What happened?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

StashAugustine posted:

that aerial shot of her running from one embassy to the other is :awesome:

The best part about that is I knew exactly where that was filmed.

Fartbox posted:

Fred Johnson used his earth missiles to blow them up.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Fartbox posted:

Naomi got their transponders by boarding the Agatha King, and passed that along to Fred Johnson who used the Nukes he had lying around from when Earth gave him control of them during the Eros Incident (Eros hurtling towards Earth) to blow up all the monsterpods.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014
Bobbie's defection scene was a nod to man in the high castle where they had a near identical scene, another great show from our new Amazon overlords.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Joe Mantis posted:

Bobbie's defection scene was a nod to man in the high castle where they had a near identical scene, another great show from our new Amazon overlords.

you saying the UN is the greater german reich

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Baronjutter posted:

I know a few people who between me always mentioning how the show is the best plus all the recent media attention started the show. What I hear from people generally is:
-It's boring.
-What's the plot? Nothing's happening, everything's flashbacks I don't get what's going on.
-The accents are stupid.
-Is this a detective/cop show or a scifi? Pick your genre! You can only be one thing!!!

Your friends didnt watch past the 1st episode or most certainly did not watch up until the destruction of the Donnager. I do think the show really took until that point to find its feet but it was never boring.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Baronjutter posted:

-It's boring.
-The accents are stupid.

I thought all these things and then I watched S1E3 and it was the greatest show ever.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Nutsngum posted:

Your friends didnt watch past the 1st episode or most certainly did not watch up until the destruction of the Donnager. I do think the show really took until that point to find its feet but it was never boring.

Most people I've talked to felt that the show really got going after the CQB episode. I tell folks to watch until that episode.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

I thought all these things and then I watched S1E3 and it was the greatest show ever.

is s1e3 the space battle episode or the one just before that? I thought E3 was the interrogation episode.

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 25, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Most people I've talked to felt that the show really got going after the CQB episode. I tell folks to watch until that episode.

Yeah, what sold me on this show was that midsentence thunk and then Shed's head is just gone.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, what sold me on this show was that midsentence thunk and then Shed's head is just gone.

*player 5 has disconnected*

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

I can totally see that, but honestly the premiere grabbed me right away, the first scene of Ceres and the OPA rally and the first flyby of the Cant. I went out and bought Leviathan Wakes and now 7 novels and 4 novella and 3 seasons later I am obsessed with this universe and series and want more more more more.

I even have an MCRN sticker on my laptop because Mars supremacy

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Personally I watched the first 2 episodes and though it was crap, and gave up

Then an year later I decided to try again and by half of the season I was hooked

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i miss ceres, i hope we go back and see what happens to millers cop buddies

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I've watched this show as it aired, and while my wife loves Star Trek she didn't care for the tiny bits of The Expanse for whatever reason. I guess she thought it was a dumb mindless violence show or something. When the show was cancelled I went back and started the show over while she was in the room and this time she was totally hooked. We had to watch at least 3 episodes a day and now she's almost caught up just in time for the season finale. This show is amazing and easily the best thing on TV.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’ve been in it since the beginning. The first season is slow but the protomolecule stinger is what kept me coming back. I could see someone not sticking through the first season. It’s not that bad though. Just second and third seasons have been way better. SYFY is a trash channel though and should be dumped from cable packages.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

its been so long since we've had genuinely sympathetic characters on TV audiences look at them now and go "it doesn't look like anything to me" before rewatching Westworld spin its wheels some more before running out of time to avoid confronting the plot, lmao

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Invalid Validation posted:

SYFY is a trash channel though and should be dumped from cable packages.

But who else would fund Sharknado XI: Sharknado vs Anacondanado goes Vegas?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
nothing to do with the show, but this is the Soyuz docking with the ISS in time lapse.

https://i.imgur.com/sCLkm6P.gifv

admit it the theme song started playing in your head

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

But who else would fund Sharknado XI: Sharknado vs Anacondanado goes Vegas?

Me, I got the 20 bucks and a iPhone they use for the budget.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

bring back old gbs posted:

nothing to do with the show, but this is the Soyuz docking with the ISS in time lapse.

https://i.imgur.com/sCLkm6P.gifv

admit it the theme song started playing in your head

Docking on the night side of the planet like a KSP scrub.

it's really cool

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I think the show has consistently been getting better and more confident in its storytelling every season. Season one was the weakest, season 2 was a marked improvement with some slow parts, and season 3 has really built on what was established in seasons 1 and 2 to just go crazy.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think the show benefits from having aliens do alieny things instead of politicians taking behind each other’s backs.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

I think the show benefits from having aliens do alieny things instead of politicians taking behind each other’s backs.

The show also has this though

it has everything

xthnru
Apr 6, 2007

FUCK YOU GUYS. I'm out.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I even have an MCRN sticker on my laptop because Mars supremacy

Da diya gonya xom soon, pomang. Milowda gonya leva sif xox!

Syzygy Stardust
Mar 1, 2017

by R. Guyovich

xthnru posted:

Da diya gonya xom soon, pomang. Milowda gonya leva sif xox!

Take that Earther dick out of your mouth so we can understand you.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I mean, any other issues notwithstanding, I imagine Earther dick is best dick. Kinda like whiskey.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dancer posted:

I mean, any other issues notwithstanding, I imagine Earther dick is best dick. Kinda like whiskey.

Belter dicks are tall and skinny with big heads

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

404notfound posted:

Belter dicks are tall and skinny with big heads

martians are short and stubby: earther dong superiority! :awesome:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

TomR posted:

I've watched this show as it aired, and while my wife loves Star Trek she didn't care for the tiny bits of The Expanse for whatever reason. I guess she thought it was a dumb mindless violence show or something. When the show was cancelled I went back and started the show over while she was in the room and this time she was totally hooked. We had to watch at least 3 episodes a day and now she's almost caught up just in time for the season finale. This show is amazing and easily the best thing on TV.

Season 3 was hitting nothing but net