Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Murgos posted:

I put a pile of unlit coals in the little bins my Weber came with and filled those with unlit coals. The bins were arraigned with the long ends congruent.

Then I lit 12 coals and the when they were ready I put them on top of the unlit coals. The temp stayed low and the coals burned for well over 5 hours.

I’m considering getting a slow and sear just for ease of use and repeatability but it works fine without it.

Cool I'll give that a shot. I ain't got no little bins, but yeah I should work on mixing unlit and lit coals instead of nuking everything.

I've been super happy with it so far. I was just eyeing a slow and sear as well cause 95% of what I cook on it is two zone low and slow type stuff so I figured it would be handy to to have a real partition instead of having spillover + it looks like it makes coal management easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I never put pork shoulder on early enough. It’s only 3 pounds, how can it still be in the plateau after 4 hours?

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

CRISPYBABY posted:

I'm new to smoking/low and slow and am doing it on a Weber kettle (with no slow and sear). Been using it basically every weekend or more since I got it last month.

Every time I set up for a low temp cook I go "ok, today I'm not going to light too much charcoal and then have to wait for an hour till I can get this grill under 300" and then I go do exactly that again.

Also I managed to bend one of the metal blades on the on the bottom vent control at some point using it to sweep ash/bits of whatever into the ash catcher, so I don't think I'm really getting a proper seal from it anymore. Dunno if that's effecting things but I tried playing with it and couldn't figure out how to bend it back unless I take the whole thing apart which I don't really want to do.

Do the snake thing! It's stupid easy and works perfectly every time, and you don't need to waste money on superfluous accessories!

2 coals high and two coals wide, do it halfway around the perimeter for ribs and almost all the way around for butts

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I smoked beef and pork ribs last weekend and I gotta say the beef ribs were not very good. Just no real flavor compared to the pork ribs. And I used the same rub on both. Pork in the future for me, cheaper too!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Last night it took 13 hours for a 3-pound pork butt to reach 200F with a pit temp of 225F (250F for the last impatient hour). How can that be? Do I need a water pan? I haven’t used one before and the cooks were more like 6 hours for a 5-pound butt. I’m using an egg, if that matters.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I've spotted a new in box Masterbuilt electric smoker for $225. Person bought two but only uses one. Not sure of the size (retail $299). Good deal to jump on?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 25, 2018

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Subjunctive posted:

Last night it took 13 hours for a 3-pound pork butt to reach 200F with a pit temp of 225F (250F for the last impatient hour). How can that be? Do I need a water pan? I haven’t used one before and the cooks were more like 6 hours for a 5-pound butt. I’m using an egg, if that matters.

That sounds a little slow to me, and all of my cooks are super slow compared to what I read on the internet. I've had 18 and 25 hour smokes for butts and briskets, respectively. :shrug: Those were with a lot more poundage, though.

A water pan is only going to increase the humidity inside and help keep the temperature more consistent. Have you checked your probes?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I've spotted a new in box Masterbuilt electric smoker for $225. Person bought two but only uses one. Not sure of the size (retail $299). Good deal to jump on?

I got my 30" Masterbuilt from Walmart for $50 when they were clearing out stock at the end of last year's BBQ season, so if you can afford to wait it'll probably be worth your while.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Larrymer posted:

That sounds a little slow to me, and all of my cooks are super slow compared to what I read on the internet. I've had 18 and 25 hour smokes for butts and briskets, respectively. :shrug: Those were with a lot more poundage, though.

A water pan is only going to increase the humidity inside and help keep the temperature more consistent. Have you checked your probes?

Yeah, the thermapen and oven thermometer agreed with the probes, at least a couple of weeks ago. I’ll check again when I do some tenderloin tonight.

Hmm.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Mikey Purp posted:

I got my 30" Masterbuilt from Walmart for $50 when they were clearing out stock at the end of last year's BBQ season, so if you can afford to wait it'll probably be worth your while.

BlueTooth version? I forgot to mention that. Sounds like it's this one: https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20072115-Bluetooth-Smart-Digital-Electric/dp/B00TJ1OZR0

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So it looks like I'll be getting a free Akorn next week. The grates are all rusted but looks to be surface level rust and not compromising the integrity at all. What's the best way to clear off the rust and get that thing good to go? Anyone had to deal with a lot of rust? Should I just look into buying new grates?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

No, I have one of these and I'm very happy with it. Up to you to decide whether paying more for bluetooth is worth it. To me controlling such a simple smoker from your phone is pretty pointless.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Subjunctive posted:

Welcome to smoking meat! Every piece is different. I've had butts take 16 hours at 225 and some that take 8 hours. No idea why, maybe water content and fat/connective tissue content? That's just how it goes.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Carillon posted:

So it looks like I'll be getting a free Akorn next week. The grates are all rusted but looks to be surface level rust and not compromising the integrity at all. What's the best way to clear off the rust and get that thing good to go? Anyone had to deal with a lot of rust? Should I just look into buying new grates?

WD 40 and a wire brush and hi temp grill paint.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Murgos posted:

WD 40 and a wire brush and hi temp grill paint.

Upgrade that wire brush to one you can put on the end of a drill and it'll go by a whole lot quicker.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Carillon posted:

New grates are probably cheap, I'd probably just do that.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 26, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

How do people clean their grates? I have these alcohol or whatever wipes that are reputed to clean anything, but they are as effective as blowing on the grate. Long cooks just really get it on there. Steel wool makes some progress, but not enough. Oven cleaner and a garbage bag? Blowtorch to reduce it to ash?

(The dishwasher did a great job on the rib rack, though.)

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Subjunctive posted:

How do people clean their grates? I have these alcohol or whatever wipes that are reputed to clean anything, but they are as effective as blowing on the grate. Long cooks just really get it on there. Steel wool makes some progress, but not enough. Oven cleaner and a garbage bag? Blowtorch to reduce it to ash?

I don't really clean them? I just steel wool the excess food off so it doesn't grow mold or anything, the rest is just seasoning imo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm. I guess that’s reasonable, yeah. I can get tantalizingly down to the steel in some places, though!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Try your oven on self-cleaning mode.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I considered that. I think the grates would fit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't think self cleaning mode will take off the rust though. That will require elbow grease. And possibly a wire wheel on a drill or angle grinder.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Oh, I don’t have rust, happily.

Self-cleaning can definitely remove some rust, though. I’ve done that with cast iron.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

I just pull mine off after each cook and scrub them with a brillo pad. Mine aren't cast iron, they're thin and chrome looking.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Carillon posted:

If you have a big enough container, soak it in vinegar.

edit should add if you do this or whatever you do to get the rust off, oil it and cook the grate otherwise it will flash rust in a hurry.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jun 26, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I've got something like this and it works a treat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06X931ZBL/ref=pd_aw_lpo_86_tr_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SF4BYV9DA6TTKM8FSWSR

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Larrymer posted:

I just pull mine off after each cook and scrub them with a brillo pad. Mine aren't cast iron, they're thin and chrome looking.

Do you pull them while they’re still hot? I grab mine the next day and the steel wool approach requires a lot of work (especially between the bars).

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah doing it hot is a world of difference.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Colostomy Bag posted:

If you have a big enough container, soak it in vinegar.

edit should add if you do this or whatever you do to get the rust off, oil it and cook the grate otherwise it will flash rust in a hurry.

Yea I do this for my Akorn when the grill gets rusty, just throw it in a heavy duty garbage bag and pour vinegar into it, let it soak for 3 hours or so. Then scrub it with some steel wool in the sink, and yea oil and bake that grate to season it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Do you pull them while they’re still hot? I grab mine the next day and the steel wool approach requires a lot of work (especially between the bars).

Yeah, usually after dinner I'll pull those, the water pan and all the foil from the bottom of the smoker and replace it all for the next cook. That way I'll never get mold in there or nasty build up.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

arisu posted:

Yea I do this for my Akorn when the grill gets rusty, just throw it in a heavy duty garbage bag and pour vinegar into it, let it soak for 3 hours or so. Then scrub it with some steel wool in the sink, and yea oil and bake that grate to season it.

Oh nice, I'll have to try that, how much vinegar do you end up having to use?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Cross posting from the Pressure Cooker thread.

I decided to make some Pepper Stout Beef last night but didn't want to use the oven for the final step as the house is already too hot. I decided to use the Instant Pot to help speed things up.

Smoked the meat for about 4 hours then it went into the IP with teh veggies and beer.

Turned out great but I still like the slightly crispy version from the oven better.

French bread sub bun with some mayo and prepared horseradish with some of the reduce ju on the side for dipping.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Trastion posted:

Cross posting from the Pressure Cooker thread.

I decided to make some Pepper Stout Beef last night but didn't want to use the oven for the final step as the house is already too hot. I decided to use the Instant Pot to help speed things up.

Smoked the meat for about 4 hours then it went into the IP with teh veggies and beer.

Turned out great but I still like the slightly crispy version from the oven better.

French bread sub bun with some mayo and prepared horseradish with some of the reduce ju on the side for dipping.

Nice. No apologies needed for the instapot. How did you do the au jus?

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Carillon posted:

Oh nice, I'll have to try that, how much vinegar do you end up having to use?

I poured half a jug of 64oz white vinegar each time (I've done it twice), so I guess 32oz? Just make sure it's submerged, use more if necessary, vinegar is cheap (64oz jug is like $2).

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Subjunctive posted:

I never put pork shoulder on early enough. It’s only 3 pounds, how can it still be in the plateau after 4 hours?

I suspect it has to do with the water content of the meat, and how much/long it is gonna sweat during the stall.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hasselblad posted:

I suspect it has to do with the water content of the meat, and how much/long it is gonna sweat during the stall.

It took 13 hours to get to 200F, and the outside was pretty dry. :negative:

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Nice. No apologies needed for the instapot. How did you do the au jus?

It was just the liquids from the cook, mainly the Guinness Extra Stout and I added a single Beef Bullion cube to help with the beefy flavor. I put the IP on saute for a bit to reduce it.

I love the instapot but like i said I will still make it the normal way with the oven when it is not so hot in the house already. The last half hour in the oven with the foil off reduces the liquid real well and crisps thing up a bit.

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Subjunctive posted:

Sounds like you should be crutching it

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Subjunctive posted:

13 hours is not all that uncommon. But like controlledburn said, crutching is an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I got this exact smoker at walmart in feb on clearance for $139, but $225 ain't bad. Bluetooth is useless though. Has a nice temp probe