Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Leraika posted:

:toxx: completed Forbidden run where Bartz is named Exodia

Tempest_56 posted:

:toxx: completed run with a full strength Brave Blade. I will double that if you do it without a Knight.

I'm a bit bummed I missed the Poque pledge but oh well! Blame Brave Blade, like always.

With Cannoneer using Slow Cannon and mostly Needle Cannon (3k for all) that had to be one of the quickest last fights I have ever gotten. Seriously, I think there were like 3 attacks total over the whole thing! For most of the end (including Shinryu) I actually just used Open Fire, where you have a fair chance of a strong Confuse or Death that works on Undead. Even then I was running out of Blitzshot, so I think if I had to do it again I'd buy the other two ammo types (also the Dark Matter version of it is slightly different if you absolutely want a 75% Confuse or Poison instead of Death for some reason). About Omega, see my other post.

What's next? Forbidden (which happened to be a Berserker risk) was amusing and all but I want to do a more "casual" Chaos run. So that'll be my third run including the pre-run pledge triple crown I did. Finally, if I have time left I'd like to complete my own :toxx: again this year and do the Randomizer pledge! I might go back to Forbidden some fiesta if I ever triple crown with the rest of the normal classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Rirse posted:

Ugh, what a good strategy for the Crystals in World 2? My group is geo, knight, mystic knight, and dancer. I got three reflect rings, so two of them are not a issue, but soon as the water one got mad it single attack did 600 damage where my party max HP is 1000 with no multi heal. I was hoping since it was weak to death that Break Blade would work on it, but that isn't the case.

I'll try to add some suggestions to what FreeKillB posted. Go back to Drakenvale and use Tempting Tango on a Poison Eagle to get it to use Float on your party to nullify Earth Shaker from the earth crystal. That leaves the water crystal as your biggest threat, so focus on rushing it down first using FreeKillB's strategy. Every member of your party can equip swords or knives so you could just put drain spellblade on all of them if healing is a problem.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I often have the same issue. I enjoy the game, but by the end I just want to do the next run. All the interesting choices have been made.

Yeah, as long as I get one triple crown per year I'm cool with not doing the extra grinding a lot of parties need for omega.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Behold the ultimate cutie patootie killing machine :getin:

To explain exactly how much damage is stacked on this setup, this is on my hack where berserkers get 3 ability slots, and they can use certain abilities in fight. In this case Krile has two !Dances and an Equip Ribbon, so she'll !Dance 50% of the time. The hack also changes the dancer equipment so it's cumulative, so when she !Dances she has a 75% chance of Sword Dancing

Unfortunately I learned Lamia's Tiara isn't a Dancer equipment, so she can't use Equip Ribbons to wear it and boost it to a 100% Sword Dance. :negative:

Zarick posted:

I tried the balance patch someone posted because it seemed like it spiced up some of the jobs that are bad/boring, and it seems neat. Monk is really strong most of the time... !Focus has a 25% chance to cast Rapid Fire. It also seems to have a (somewhat undocumented) chance to just make you waste a party member. Is this on purpose or a bug? I mean it could be on purpose to balance out how wacky Rapid Fire fists are early on but it seemed weird to me.
Bug is fixed now! Download the updated patch here. Apply to a clean ROM, not a patched ROM. You can continue the game off this, although you may need to load an in-game save instead of a save state.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jyw0adpwrydmzac/ffvamod0.5.1.ups?dl=0

The patch also adds two new changes I was working on (not coincidentally timing with my Fiesta Beastmaster):
  • The Blitz Whip (found in Jachol cave, home of Skull Eaters) now has a 20% chance of activating !Release instead of casting Thunder, which normally makes it useless. Unlike regular !Release, monsters released this way are not removed from the character, which means you can live the dream of !Releasing Sand Bears nonstop. I've been having fun using this whip to plow through fights! Turns out there's a catch in World 2 that does +6000 damage (Ironbacks in the Catlebopas/Shoat cave) and a catch in World 3 that does +7000 damage (Cheries in the Phoenix Tower). The Lamias in the Phoenix Tower also cast White Wind so there's a lot of possibilities here...
  • The Chain Whip (available in most stores in World 2) is now a whip that always !Rapidfires. The whip itself has a weak enough base attack that doesn't make this worthwhile on its own, but you could combine it with Dual Wield or something to increase its power...

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jun 25, 2018

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Leraika posted:

Also. :toxx: time:

I will donate $1 for every completed Forbidden run where Bartz is named Exodia, up to $40.

If forbidden ends up being sucky and unfun like natural, I'll also donate $.50 for every completed run where Bartz is named Exodia, period, up to $20.

edit: yes, they stack
Got you covered. Once I finally got access to Cannoneer everything just kinda shattered? (See above from Doom Goon if you want more detail.) It was funny seeing how Summoner tipped away from being the main offensive force of the party to just pulling support with Golem and Carbuncle. Not like that's a bad thing against NED or the superbosses.

Also I killed Leviathan or something. By now the toxx has been fulfilled but I got a screenshot before accounting had been done, so here you go. !Rapid Fire was nice here, at least before the void sucked it away and gave me two slots for Aegis Shields instead.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Those are some impressive HP values. What was your level at the end?

Edit:

Huzzah! posted:

yeah, the blood sword has like 30% hit chance. 99% of the time its pretty useless, but there are rather rare situations where its good. I had a run where the freelancer had the blood sword, !rapidfire, some way to boost magic stat and that did 4K damage/heal.

A Freelancer with Rapid Fire and having mastered one of the magic jobs is absurdly good with the Blood Sword, since its damage isn't halved by Rapid Fire like a normal weapon's would be, and it deals full damage from the backrow to boot. So you have a nearly indestructable tank who hits hard while fully healing herself at the same time. That's obviously not something you'll commonly see in a Fiesta setting though.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jun 25, 2018

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Of course I get Berserker first job with my Chaos run. I can't get away from it!

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Goons, I've never played this game before but I'm up to World 2. My party is Thief / Red Mage / Geomancer / Dancer. How hosed am I?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Give Geo !Dualcast when you get it.

Also I'm sorry.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Various Meat Products posted:

Goons, I've never played this game before but I'm up to World 2. My party is Thief / Red Mage / Geomancer / Dancer. How hosed am I?

It's not the absolute worst party, but it is rather painful for a blind playthrough, since most of these classes require some knowledge of the game mechanics to be useful. In World 2, I'd definitely recommend stealing two or more Flame Rings from Red Dragons. They make some of the tougher fights a lot easier.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

For your sake I sure as hell hope you stole a Lamia's Tiara from the Lamias in Ronka Ruins. :ohdear:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mountaineer posted:

I'll try to add some suggestions to what FreeKillB posted. Go back to Drakenvale and use Tempting Tango on a Poison Eagle to get it to use Float on your party to nullify Earth Shaker from the earth crystal. That leaves the water crystal as your biggest threat, so focus on rushing it down first using FreeKillB's strategy. Every member of your party can equip swords or knives so you could just put drain spellblade on all of them if healing is a problem.

I will try that. Besides drain blade, are any of the crystals able to be hurt by the other spellblades like thunderaga for the water crystal?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Rirse posted:

I will try that. Besides drain blade, are any of the crystals able to be hurt by the other spellblades like thunderaga for the water crystal?

They have no elemental weaknesses, no. The Seal Guardian fight is honestly one of the biggest stumbling points for Mystic Knights, with the other being W2 Exdeath.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Knight/Time/Summoner/White is a fun, but somewhat weird group. Notably, most of the Twelve Weapons are situational at best (Sage Staff aside), but Leviathan is great for White Mage with !Summon, what with the lack of knives and rods to boost anything.

Probably the easiest W2 Exdeath I've ever fought, though, and that includes shenanigans with !Mix. Shell, Hastega, Slow (via reflect), Float, and Golem is a very powerful combo.

World 2 will be a slog, but the Chicken Knife will solve all of your reliable damage woes once you get to W3. Hang in there!

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

That's pretty much my nightmare party. I am anxious just thinking about it.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 25, 2018

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

B...Branch Spear?? (I'm so sorry).

Guess I'm doing the axe dance! Dancer joins Berserker on Chaos.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Welp, guess we got the name for next year.

https://twitter.com/revenantkioku/status/1011233824074678274
(Explanation)

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Update: By my count we've got 31 Exodia runs, 26 of which are also Forbidden!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Leraika posted:

I just pushed mine into world 3 last night, so I should be able to finish it tonight.

Probably tripling it, though unfortunately not at low enough levels for derra's toxx. :(

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yay, beat the guardians. I got everyone up in mystic knight to use drain blade and got float. I didn't keep track of the HP on the water crystal, but I was able to heal fast enough with the Mystic Knight (and somehow Geomancer) to kill it. The other three were no issues at all. Also since I had Galuf with the reflect ring and drain blade, I was able to do this in the Exdeath fight.

Sadly he still dies (he got knock to 0 by vacuum wave and meteor).

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.

This is probably the worst idea I've ever had.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

That's a bad enough party that I'd consider heading to the Job Fair if it's your first time. The amount of grinding you're going to need to do to get through the Crystals and then W2 ExDeath might make you never want to play the game again. But if you're determined and you want to get Dualcast, know that the best place to grind AP in W2 is in the basement of Galuf's castle: use Gold Needles on the enemies there and they will die.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Leraika posted:

Yeah I've got one cooking, I just haven't been super motivated by my team so it's been slow going.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Edward_Tohr posted:

oh no

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Tempest_56 posted:

Alright, :toxx: time. I failed my Risk run last year so:

I will donate $5 (up to $50) for every completed run with a full strength Brave Blade to counter my cowardice in the face of too many Zerks last year. I will double that if you do it without a Knight.

White Mage means never having to hold a shield. :v:

Turns out, Faris didn't need her MP for !Summon, since the Rune Blade did about as much damage as a boosted Syldra.

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

Edward_Tohr posted:

Reset resets the timer (to where it was at the start of the fight), right?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

FreeKillB posted:

Reset resets the timer (to where it was at the start of the fight), right?

Not on the US GBA version.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
What strategies are there for Purobolos with a Chemist,Berserk, and Thief?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

dbzfandiego posted:

What's your third job?

Regardless, suck their MP out with Lilith Kiss (Ether + Maiden's Kiss) and they can't do poo poo. Each one only has 100 MP so three mixers can defang them all before they get a chance to act (a Chemist can act twice before the Purobolos act, and Thieves are faster still).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Most strats for Chemists break down to "use drugs to make out".

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

dbzfandiego posted:

chemist can chug a goliath tonic & speed shake with !drink and probably (with at least 1501 hp) survive a self destruct at full health and be fast enough to heal after. steal a bunch of elixirs from zus or whatever to fuel his habit. give berserker a mage masher and maybe he helps a bit

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

dbzfandiego posted:

If you're feeling cheeky ether + dark matter (prototypes are assholes but you can do it) should make them unable to cast life 2. Oh yeah ether + maiden's kiss is a better plan.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I am not running a forbidden run yet, but is there a good write up on the three new classes from it?

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011
Right thank y'all, I was having trouble because I forgot about !Mix. Silly me.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rirse posted:

I am not running a forbidden run yet, but is there a good write up on the three new classes from it?

I can copy the ones Ash did in Discord if you want?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kyrosiris posted:

I can copy the ones Ash did in Discord if you want?

That would be great. I probably do a forbidden after my current run is over, barring getting the same classes again.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

Those are some impressive HP values. What was your level at the end?
49. I didn't grind for elixirs in World 1 and instead had to do so in World 3. Also I didn't expect some of those fights to go as quickly as they did, so I ground up levels on the side by beating up Level Checkers. With more planning I probably could have fulfilled derra's toxx to have a combined party level at or under 100.

In related news, I reregistered with Forbidden and got Knight/Ninja/Dragoon/Cannoneer. (I have not rolled yet for my voided job.) Since I want to try out all three available GBA jobs, I wonder whether I should Job Fair for Gladiator or instead for Oracle. Thoughts?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Leraika posted:

:toxx: time:
I will donate $1 for every completed Forbidden run where Bartz is named Exodia, up to $40.

This is in fact Forbidden. Please excuse Oracle Faris who died 2 seconds before the lethal Cleansing landed.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Rirse posted:

That would be great. I probably do a forbidden after my current run is over, barring getting the same classes again.

WTF I GOT GLADIATOR IN #FORBIDDEN WHAT DOES THAT DO

code:
  [Stats]
  +26 (50) Str, +14 (38) Agi, +3 (28) Vit, -14 (10) Mag

[Equipment]
  Knife, Sword, Knight Sword, Spear, Axe, Bow // Shield, Heavy Helmet, Heavy Armor, Light Armor, Glove

[Lure]
  Not very descriptive, is it? It increases the encounter rate.

[Bladeblitz]
  M = M*3/4
  Does not ignore enemy Evade%.
  Does not ignore Row Modifiers.
  Weapons will not cast spells.
  Does not work with Harps or Blood Sword.

[Finisher]
  Failure = nothing, nilch, nada
  Critical Hit = regular critical melee
  Elemental Attack = 9999 damage in character's crystal element (Wind for Bartz, Water for Lenna, Fire for Faris, Earth for Galuf/Krile)

[Job Level]  [Attempt Failed]  [Critical Hit]  [Elemental Attack]
   0           6/16              6/16            4/16
   1           5/16              6/16            5/16
   2           5/16              5/16            6/16
   3           5/16              4/16            7/16
   4           4/16              4/16            8/16
WTF I GOT ORACLE IN #FORBIDDEN WHAT DOES THAT DO

code:
  [Stats]
  -9 (13) Str, -1 (23) Agi, -4 (20) Vit, +36 (60) Mag

[Equipment]
  Staff, Flail // Mage Robe, Mage Hat

[Read Ahead]
  Cuts the encounter rate, but not to zero.

[Condemn]
  Heavy enemies are immune to ALL uses of Condemn, not just Doom. So.. just Doom everything.
  Doom is a Destroy effect rather than Death, so you can use it on undead too. Doom EVERYTHING.
  Tick count required decreases as job level goes up.

[Predict]
  Strap in, this gets wild.
  Predict DOES NOT TRIGGER React: scripts. (To my knowledge. Ping me if something does react!)
  Only one Predict can ever be going at a time. Failed 'dupe' Predicts DO consume MP.

First Rank = 5 tick charge, 1 MP
  Second Rank = 4 tick charge, 3 MP
  Third Rank = 3 tick charge, 7 MP

Spell cast is determined by last digit of current (before cost) MP.
 [MP] [Spell]           [Element] [Status]  [Effects]                [Abv.]
  0    Cleansing                                                      CS     (only targets enemies)
  1    Deluge            Water     Toad                               DL
  2    Eruption          Fire      HP Leak                            ER
  3    Starfall                    Death     Damagex2                 SF
  4    Rockslide         Earth               Damagex2                 RS
  5    Divine Judgement  Holy                MP damage(2nd)+Recovery  DJ
  6    Healing Wind      Holy      Dispel    Recovery                 HW     (only targets party)
  7    Blessing          Holy      Regen     Recovery                 BL     (only targets party)
  8    Hurricane         Wind      Silence                            HC
  9    Pestilence        Poison    Poison                             PL     (only targets party)
  Attack and multiplier is determined by last digit of affected target's HP. Yes, everyone.* Individually.** Values differ for enemies and player characters.
  *: Except for Sandworm.
  **: Because Sandworm is 'managed' by an invisible seventh enemy in the fight. Yes, that means you'll ALWAYS roll minimum damage.

E = Enemy, P = Player
 [Abv.] [Att] [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] HP Last Digit
  CS(E)  250   3   6   9  12  15  18  21  24  27  30  = M
  DL(E)  180   2   5   8  10  13  16  18  21  24  27
  DL(P)  180   1   1   1   1   1   1   2   2   2   3
  ER(E)  165   2   4   7   9  12  14  16  19  21  24
  ER(P)  165   1   1   1   2   3   3   4   4   5   6
  SF(E)  190   2   5   8  10  13  16  18  21  24  27
  SF(P)  190   1   1   1   1   1   1   2   2   2   3
  RS(E)  160   1   3   4   6   7   9  10  12  13  15
  RS(P)  160   1   3   4   6   7   9  10  12  13  15
  DJ(E)  220   3   6   9  12  15  18  21  24  27  30
  DJ(P)  240  10  10  10  10  10  10  10  10  10  10
  HW(P)  155   3   6   9  12  15  18  21  24  27  30
  BL(P)  210   3   6   9  12  15  18  21  24  27  30
  HC(E)  200   2   4   7   9  12  14  16  19  21  24
  HC(P)  200   1   1   1   2   3   3   4   4   5   6
  PL(P)  180   3   6   9  12  15  18  21  24  27  30  
OKAY WHAT THE gently caress
Yeah I know. Here's my tip: find a stable Third Rank → Second Rank loop and lean on it. Second Rank Cleansing → Third Rank Blessing is a fat stack of non-elemental damage then a fat stack of healing. Alternatively, get Flame Rings and use Third Rank Eruption → Second Rank Divine Judgement for more consistent damage. Eruption's HP Leak makes gaming your Predict multiplier impossible, but you'll live. Especially with all that self healing.

WTF I GOT CANNONEER IN #FORBIDDEN WHAT DOES THAT DO

code:
  [Stats]
  +9 (33) Str, +6 (30) Agi, +6 (30) Vit, +4 (28) Mag

[Equipment]
  Knife, Sword // Shield, Light Helmet, Light Armor, Mage Robe, Mage Hat

[Open Fire]
  Doesn't break Confuse.
  104/256  Black shot   Darkness  115 ATK
  62 /256  Purple shot  Poison    115 ATK
  60 /256  Red shot     Confuse   175 ATK
  30 /256  X shot       Death     215 ATK (can kill undead)

[Combine]
  Buckshot < Blastshot < Blitzshot
  Combines also won't break Confuse.
  [Non-Elemental Shots]
  Normal: shot + Shuriken (80/160/210 ATK)
  Killer: + Fuma Shuriken (80/170/215 ATK, M*2 if Human)
  Dragon: + Dragon Fang   (80/170/215 ATK, M*2 if Dragon)
  Needle: + Gold Needle   (1000/2000/3000 flat DMG)
  [Elemental Shots (80/170/220 ATK)]
  Fire: + Flame Scroll
  Water: + Water Scroll
  Lightning: + Lightning Scroll
  Earth: + Goliath Tonic
  Holy: + Hero Cocktail (+5 ATK)
  [Status Shots (65/160/200 ATK)]
  Darkness: + Ash (+5 ATK)
  Slow: + Turtle Shell
  Berserk: + Power Drink
  Old: + Speed Shake
  Mini: + Mallet (-25 ATK)
  Vulner (1/2 Def+MDef): + Iron Draft
  Chaos: Buckshot + Dark Matter = Confuse (+5 ATK)
        Blastshot + Dark Matter = Poison (-15 ATK)
        Blitzshot + Dark Matter = Death  (-15 ATK)
:siren: WARNING FOR ORACLE/CANNONEER FORBIDDEN PLAYERS :siren:
!Predict (yes, all of !Predict) and Chaos Cannon can bypass Exdeath's phase 1 death script for going from Treedeath to Neo Exdeath if they kill him. These are not counted as valid #victory kills - you must kill Neo Exdeath, so be mindful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

What level are most people when they beat NED? Ive played the game before and ground to hell and back for the jobs to play with them but since Im not doing that im not sure where most people finish. I was like 32 going into the void, and after getting rolled by necrophob have ground up to 37.

Team is White Mage, Time Mage, Ninja, Samurai