Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
I would also want to be paid to stay in competition shape for months and months when I don't have a fight. Not giving up carbs for free homie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Rashad Evans has announced his retirement.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
that certainly didnt come out of left field, due to rashad's trouble with southpaws

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Rigel posted:

it feels like that guy has fought exactly once since i started watching mma

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

mewse posted:

So Kelvin could have fought for the title but he wanted to be paid to train

It seems like a fair request, especially if whether or not you even get your show money is up to another guy making/missing weight. Training camps aren't free.

Rigel posted:

Good.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Machida said that when Coker gave him an offer to join Bellator, he also asked Machida to promise that he wouldn't shop the offer, and the offer was so good that he couldn't refuse. The UFC then matched Bellator's offer, but Machida said he already gave his word to Coker. I guess the UFC did not expect Bellator to offer whatever it was they did offer.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

i really liked allen vs burnell and quinonez vs ishihara. Perry vs griffin was really good, perry is good to watch even when losing, I liked moicano vs kattar, that was sure fun. Volkov werdum another fight i guess maybe medocre? shoutout to diachi abe for gassing out against luke jumeau, the only ufc fighter allergic to punches.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Rigel posted:

Machida said that when Coker gave him an offer to join Bellator, he also asked Machida to promise that he wouldn't shop the offer, and the offer was so good that he couldn't refuse. The UFC then matched Bellator's offer, but Machida said he already gave his word to Coker. I guess the UFC did not expect Bellator to offer whatever it was they did offer.

This overbidding is how Strikeforce got talent while Coker was president, and it is also a big part of why Strikeforce wasn't actually profitable enough to survive.

I'm not saying that will necessarily happen again, but they are drawing 1/3 the viewers while paying Cheick Kongo $150k per fight.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
still shook up? drat conor is the best of all time

mewse
May 2, 2006

Conor vs a woman, 3 division champ baby

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Marching Powder posted:

incoming contrarian opinion but i didn't rate romero / whittaker 2 as highly as all of you. whittaker not being able to throw his power hand for most of the fight made him very cautious, and romero spent the first 2.5 rounds not fighting at all. there was some amazing displays of heart and toughness from both guys, and whittaker went through the deepest water to get the w, but yeah romero's relative inactivity for half the fight and rob's broken hand made the actual fighting kind of ehhh

I'm agreeing with a Marching Powder post, so it must be correct.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

Fights are actually even better when the guys just stare at each other doing different poses.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
krylov mght be back, in talks pending a ufc russia show

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

I.N.R.I posted:

it feels like that guy has fought exactly once since i started watching mma

You're a pretty lucky guy then.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Rigel posted:

I live one city over from MMMS's hometown so what this means is even though I've never met or interacted with Rashad Evans, there are a million guys on tinder who post a photo of themselves with Rashad as their cool once in a lifetime brush with fame

Every time I see it I think to myself

~~such great heights~~

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ad by Khad posted:

I live one city over from MMMS's hometown so what this means is even though I've never met or interacted with Rashad Evans, there are a million guys on tinder who post a photo of themselves with Rashad as their cool once in a lifetime brush with fame

Every time I see it I think to myself

~~such great heights~~

How do I browse other dudes on tinder?

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
rashad had a weird career and I hated him for most of it

he lay n prayed bonnar so I was never ever going to like him

his fights were boring and even his most impressive performance against rampage was still pretty dull

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

mewse posted:

How do I browse other dudes on tinder?

be a lady?

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

I've posted this a million times probably but the most telling indictment of rashad's fighting style is he fought in the ufc for like 15 years and nothing ever bumped the Sean Salmon headkick out of his highlight real.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
rashad made matt hughes (racist) mad and beat up mike whitehead (rapist) on TUF, so he rules, actually

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

LobsterMobster posted:

rashad made matt hughes (racist) mad and beat up mike whitehead (rapist) on TUF, so he rules, actually

This, and the Phil Davis fight means I could never feel anything on the bad side of neutral towards my man suga

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bundt Cake posted:

rashad had a weird career and I hated him for most of it

he lay n prayed bonnar so I was never ever going to like him

his fights were boring and even his most impressive performance against rampage was still pretty dull

I cant say it was less dull but I consider his Phil Davis performance his most impressive and I enjoyed watching it very much

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

LobsterMobster posted:

I think you'll find matt hughes is also the other r-word

Hell, maybe even a few of them

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
I still remember all my buddies and I in my living room freaking the gently caress out when he knocked out Chuck; prompting my neighbor to bang on the wall and yell at us. Good times.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

El Roncho posted:

I still remember all my buddies and I in my living room freaking the gently caress out when he knocked out Chuck; prompting my neighbor to bang on the wall and yell at us. Good times.

i hated that cuz he was getting whooped, throwing the same right over and over but eventually chuck ran into it ... trying to just tee off near the cage like rashad was tito iirc

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I remember the Chuck fight making me briefly think that Rashad knew how to box.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Bundt Cake posted:

i hated that cuz he was getting whooped, throwing the same right over and over but eventually chuck ran into it ... trying to just tee off near the cage like rashad was tito iirc

And he was coming in with that loopy lead uppercut. Ugh.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was in a packed bar for that one, and when Chuck went down there was an uprorious disturbance from the drunks out in the parking lot watching through the windows

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

The loudest any crowd I have ever been in was at the PDX BWW when Holy Holm KO'd Ronda Rousey. The women were screaming the most.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kensei posted:

The loudest any crowd I have ever been in was at the PDX BWW when Holy Holm KO'd Ronda Rousey. The women were screaming the most.

I was at the arena, and it was loving deafening. Then again, Melbournites are mad. The nice kind.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
My roommate at the time had to come check on me when I saw Anderson Silva's leg go noodly. I kept CURSING. VERY. LOUDLY. and she figured something interesting must have happened.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh I just remembered that I actually saw somebody wearing a "Fighter and the Kid" shirt this weekend.

The loudest crowd I've ever seen in a bar was GSP vs BJ II (Franco-Ontario), by a wide margin. GSP-Fitch was pretty loud, too, as was Lesnar-Couture,. but they're distant 2nd and 3rd. The tensest I've ever seen a bar crowd was for Lesnar-Velasquez - it was all hushed awe for that. One guy who was a big Brock fan saw Cain for the first time and was like "holy poo poo this dude scary." There was a weird energy for Weidman-Silva I. The casual fans who were rowdy for a Matrix Anderson Silva KO started loud and then got confused and finally outraged.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

The bar I was at for Carano/Cyborg lost their poo poo.

I can only imagine what it would be like seeing Rousey or Silva get their streaks broken in person.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
Where are you guys watching the fights where there’s so much energy? Every time I’ve tried going to BW3 to watch a card, there’s been pretty much no one paying any attention. There might be one guy in a novelty wife-beater somewhat loudly explaining the fights (incorrectly) to his bros.

Maybe Royal Oak just sucks.

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
Does anyone have any recommendations for a bar in Denver to watch 226 at? Visiting from overseas and just wondering if there is a go-to place local fans always head to.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Mcgregor/Aldo was pretty wild to see live. Everything got way quieter for a second when Aldo dropped, then the place erupted.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

I was at the arena, and it was loving deafening. Then again, Melbournites are mad. The nice kind.

:hfive:
That was wild.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Most UFC fights I watch in public seem to be me, a handful of guys I've boxed with or a friend's bjj gym bros for a grand total of maybe 10 people at a venue for the express purpose of watching a fight.

If there's anyone else there it's generally a sterotypical bro in a tap out shirt being loud about inane poo poo or its like a small tight 2-5 guy group where they clearly know some poo poo and are like circle jerking each other off about someone's kimura technique and golf clap ground transitions.

I live in Miami too where I kind of thought there'd be a bigger UFC scene/crowd but there's just not. The best places I've seen to watch fights are like some guys house in a gym sponsored get together type deal and those are truly glorious. I saw McGregor Diaz which kind of started me into UFC with a friend who I had started boxing and rolling with and listening to them break poo poo down was super super interesting to me.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Where are you guys watching the fights where there’s so much energy?

4+ years in the past.

I was live at GSP/ Serra 2 in Montreal and it was pandemonium when GSP won. I was yelling as loud as I could and I couldn't hear myself over the rest of the crowd.

Compare to Couture/ Machida in Toronto and you could hear a pin drop when Couture got ktfo. I was yelling as loud as I could there, too, and I def heard myself over the crowd that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I haven't seen a lot of the upsets live because I try to avoid watching fights at the bar (because eventually someone will say "Why don't think just throw punches like that all the time?" when someone lands a haymaker) but there was a lot of hollering going on at BW3 when Nunas dismantled Ronda.

• Locked thread