Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Code Veronica is a great game to reminisce about but a terrible game to actually replay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Aces High posted:

this one, silly

alternatively you can just watch this part] and you will know all you need to know about ORC

Don't actually watch any of this.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Crowetron posted:

Code Veronica is a great game to reminisce about but a terrible game to actually replay.

Know how the REmake and 0 Remake had easy baby modes? Do any of the later Veronica re-releases have that? Because I've only gotten worse at games as my dusty old bones full of green dust have gotten arthritic.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not that I remember

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Crowetron posted:

This. Feels like such a step back after RE3. The pace of the plot in RE3 is good, the combat is good, Nemesis is great, and it encourages repeated playthroughs of a pretty brisk game. C:V feels like the complete opposite. It is slow. It uses the old RE2 zombie noises instead of new ones or RE3 zombies. The plot is slow. Claire and Chris and Steve are slow to control. The visuals feel very washed out. It feels like it constantly runs at a low framerate to compensate for the 3D environments, and the guns don't feel fun to fire. Even shotgun decapitations feel lackluster. There's something that always makes me want to revisit it though... Masochism probably.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I only remember Code Veronica fondly because I like the environmental and puzzle changes that occur when you go through the areas again as Chris. It appeals to a certain part of my brain.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Agreed on a lot of points with CV but hey, hey, HEY, gently caress you, the RE2 zombie sounds are loving perfect and RE3's were lame (but CV should have used a much greater variety from 2 because I think they only used like four or five? the gently caress?)

The bowgun is wet rear end unlike its RE2 counterpart for some reason and those hulking Stretch Armstrong mutants are the most boring enemies because they don't really do much of anything, they just chip at your health while being boring rear end bullet sponges

And lmao forever at the boss fight on the plane, how the gently caress that ever got past testers is incredible, nobody raised their hand during meetings at capcom and said "hey, isn't it a problem that you can effectively ruin your game and have to start over or be Jesus with a knife if you don't have quite enough ammo?"

The music is good though

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Attempting to jettison the cargo before you're supposed to damages the tyrant, so you can kill him weaponless with some skill (or are unlucky). Guess how I know that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watched a video on YouTube?

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Drunken Baker posted:

Know how the REmake and 0 Remake had easy baby modes? Do any of the later Veronica re-releases have that? Because I've only gotten worse at games as my dusty old bones full of green dust have gotten arthritic.

The japanese HD version has Very Easy mode iirc.

Not that this is going to do you much good unless you're in the market for japanese versions of games.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Maybe it’s just nostalgia but I love CV. It’s got that crazy RE plot that hits the sweet spot for me. Ashford is such a hateable smug shithead.

I did run out of ammo on the plane fight and lost hours of playtime though

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Watched a video on YouTube?

Too long ago. Read it in a FAQ! Then had to put it to practice.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

SettingSun posted:

Attempting to jettison the cargo before you're supposed to damages the tyrant, so you can kill him weaponless with some skill (or are unlucky). Guess how I know that.

Yeah! I can't remember if it does x amount of damage or you have to hit him x amount of times but there was no way I could have juked around him long enough to do that.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

The japanese HD version has Very Easy mode iirc.

Hah. I might just watch a LP whilst holding a controller instead.

Speaking of which, are there any good, informative RE Lpers(too many acronyms there) out there? Y'know, none of this, "WHAT IS UP U GUYS!"*dubsteb blares* nonsense. I forget the lad's name who I've been watching but he seems to just do speedruns, which are great and all, but I really wouldn't mind seeing someone digging into Veronica.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Drunken Baker posted:

Yeah! I can't remember if it does x amount of damage or you have to hit him x amount of times but there was no way I could have juked around him long enough to do that.

Hah. I might just watch a LP whilst holding a controller instead.

Speaking of which, are there any good, informative RE Lpers(too many acronyms there) out there? Y'know, none of this, "WHAT IS UP U GUYS!"*dubsteb blares* nonsense. I forget the lad's name who I've been watching but he seems to just do speedruns, which are great and all, but I really wouldn't mind seeing someone digging into Veronica.

They're screenshot LPs so I'm not sure if they're what you're looking for, but The Dark Id's RE LPs are fuckin' classics.

Edit: In order:

4 Resident Evil

Code Veronica

Dead Aim

RE2/3

Zero

REmake

Some of the material is... dated, to say the least (The RE4 LP came out like 11 years ago), but for the most part they're still pretty good. Or at least they were when I read them back in high school, so who knows :v:

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 26, 2018

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Oh man, yeah those were great! I was severely disappointed when I finally played 0 and Billy loving Cohen wasn't nearly as great as he was in those.

Cheers for the reminder, I'll definitely be re-reading those. But yeah, I was looking for something to lash on Youtube and get drunk to.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

I’m pretty sure Zero’s LP came before REmake’s considering Billy’s ghost played an important part in the LP’s storyline (BOY is that a weird thing to write down in 2018). Those DarkId LP’s were my only real experience with RE for many years, since at the time of REmake I was still very much a teenage scaredy-cat and arachnophobe.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I should point out that I didn't play 0 until about 6 months ago. But all I could think about was, "I'm Billy loving Cohen".

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

those LPs introduced me to Something Awful, though I didn't buy an account until a few years later.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think about the only Resident Evil spinoff games worth a drat outside of Revelations 1 and 2, would be the Outbreak games. I can't really think of any other spinoff game that's actually good.

A little late here, but I love the Chronicles duology and would play them over Time Crisis or the like any day.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Resident Evil 7 completed, boy that was something awesome.

Even the over the top End of Zoe DLC was awesome without seeming too ridiculous by RE standards.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

DanielCross posted:

A little late here, but I love the Chronicles duology and would play them over Time Crisis or the like any day.

I didn't like Darkside as much as Umbrella for whatever reason, but yeah they are great.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I didn't like Darkside as much as Umbrella for whatever reason, but yeah they are great.

Darkside should have been way better but suffered from two unbelievable flaws: shaky-cam and loving real time cutscenes. In UC you could just skip cutscenes and it made replays a breeze, but DC bakes tons of plot/exposition into the levels themselves making what is ostensibly a score attack game an absolute loving slog to replay. One of the Code Veronica levels (the one in Alfred's trap house) has something like 4 minutes of non-gameplay to like, 2 minutes of shooting. It sucks :negative:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Drunken Baker posted:

Y'know, none of this, "WHAT IS UP U GUYS!"*dubsteb blares* nonsense.

Youtube is such a fuckin piece of garbage. Imagine having to listen to loving philip defranco every loving day.

I sure hope re7 is still on sale? Cause I get paid tomorrow and can finally afford to buy things and pay bills again

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Good soup! posted:

Agreed on a lot of points with CV but hey, hey, HEY, gently caress you, the RE2 zombie sounds are loving perfect and RE3's were lame (but CV should have used a much greater variety from 2 because I think they only used like four or five? the gently caress?)

There's nothing wrong with the RE2 zombie noises, I think it just belies CV's development as "proto-RE3" and it's weird and awkward to me that they didn't just record new zombie sounds or go back and do anything with them. CV's a weird game.

Good soup! posted:

The music is good though

This, however, is correct. The music is gloomy and atmospheric and spot on.

codo27 posted:

I sure hope re7 is still on sale? Cause I get paid tomorrow and can finally afford to buy things and pay bills again

Steam still has it up on sale. You can also nab the Gold edition with all the DLC for a decent price. I'm getting ready to start my first Madhouse run and can't wait. Game loving rocks.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's weird that they let you carry the bonus weapons over to a new game on Madhouse

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Saw my first Crimson head last night. Were they in the original? Then I got killed by Mr Bravo team and decided that was enough. Started a new game today on easy. Ran around in circles for a while wondering what I was missing, forgot to get the drat book with the first key, and my inventory is full. How can I just beat the poo poo out of Dark Souls for fun and no longer be able to do a drat thing with this old tank game?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

codo27 posted:

Saw my first Crimson head last night. Were they in the original?
Bad luck, and nope.

codo27 posted:

Then I got killed by Mr Bravo team and decided that was enough. Started a new game today on easy. Ran around in circles for a while wondering what I was missing, forgot to get the drat book with the first key, and my inventory is full. How can I just beat the poo poo out of Dark Souls for fun and no longer be able to do a drat thing with this old tank game?
Mr Bravo Team? :thunk:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm pumped for RE2 Remake. But we've got to blow the lid on this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zr3KV9E06I

Alyson Court, the classic voice of Claire, isn't in this game apparently because RE2 Remake's localization is going non-union. If this old social media posting is accurate, this could be the biggest controversy since Billy Mitchell. I'm exaggerating for comedic effect. But, like Fox Mulder, I say we ask questions. Why go non-union? Pinching pennies? Is this game really voiced by some non-union rando's to save some bucks? And who benefits? (this is a reference to a JFK joke in Clerks the Animated Series - a series that was definitely union).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It was most likely recorded during the strike.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That makes sense. Unless the strike was just a smokescreen... I ate a Metal Gear Solid themed Chef Boyardee I think it's having psychotropic effects.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Zombie Forest?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

That makes sense. Unless the strike was just a smokescreen... I ate a Metal Gear Solid themed Chef Boyardee I think it's having psychotropic effects.

The strike hit a few games like that while it was going on. Another notable one was Ashly Burch not being able to return for the Life is Strange prequel. Only thing to hope for (besides the VA's they did get being good) is they record the lines again with the original actors. I want to say that happened with the Silent Hill re-releases but that might have also just been a legal thing or something.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Kibayasu posted:

I want to say that happened with the Silent Hill re-releases but that might have also just been a legal thing or something.

Nah, that was more because the original voice actors were never made to sign contracts and asked to be compensated for Konami re-using their work. Konami didn't want to, so they re-recorded the lines lol.

the strike had little to do with it because the re-release issues were instigated by the original SH actors most of whom aren't active in video game acting anyway

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Zombie Forest?
Oh right, of course.

It's been so long since I played ODZ mode. I consciously avoid activating it these days, since I just find it irritating.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Did I get that right? The guy who's dead outside on the balcony who wakes up after you go past him?

E: oh yeah, I think it was Forest

codo27 fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Jun 28, 2018

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm pumped for RE2 Remake. But we've got to blow the lid on this case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zr3KV9E06I

Alyson Court, the classic voice of Claire, isn't in this game apparently because RE2 Remake's localization is going non-union. If this old social media posting is accurate, this could be the biggest controversy since Billy Mitchell. I'm exaggerating for comedic effect. But, like Fox Mulder, I say we ask questions. Why go non-union? Pinching pennies? Is this game really voiced by some non-union rando's to save some bucks? And who benefits? (this is a reference to a JFK joke in Clerks the Animated Series - a series that was definitely union).

none of the same cast are back and she wasnt in rev2 either and i stopped caring about the claire not being alyson after 5 mins because the game was awesome.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah Forest Speyer. Bravo team sharpshooter. One Dangerous Zombie annoys me because its a permanent addition to your save file once unlocked, unless you play Real Survivor, Invisible Enemy or start a new game from scratch. Sometimes I just wanna run around with a rocket launcher and not worry about instant game overs because I hit that berk by mistake.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

DeadButDelicious posted:

Yeah Forest Speyer. Bravo team sharpshooter.

So they give him a gently caress-off 40mm grenade launcher. Emphasis on 'Special' in that S.T.A.R.S. acronym.

DeadButDelicious posted:

One Dangerous Zombie annoys me because its a permanent addition to your save file once unlocked, unless you play Real Survivor, Invisible Enemy or start a new game from scratch. Sometimes I just wanna run around with a rocket launcher and not worry about instant game overs because I hit that berk by mistake
Exactly this, ODZ ruined itself in my experience when I shoved a bookshelf aside and shot the first thing that staggered out from behind, as usual.

IT'S FOREST! OHHHH MYYYY GOOOOOD.

YOU ARE DEAD.

Gimmick mode that should have been its own option.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

I wonder if REmake 2 will address the shortage of desks in the S.T.A.R.S. office because there's only enough desks for the Alpha team and Rebecca. So like, did Bravo team just hotdesk or work out of a separate office, what's the deal there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
was playing the original non-DC ps1 version of Resident Evil the other week and i got to the Forest part and i was legit scared and confused since i my brain had rewired itself to expect the jump scare.