Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Speleothing posted:

Why the gently caress would anybody want 8k? Why would you want that level of detail? 4K is already excessive for anything under 60”. You’d need a 100” screen to benefit at all, and at that point should just buy a projector rather than worry about moving it around corners and staircases.

"But you can really feeeel the extra pixels, mannn"

- Some idiot HDTV hipster equivalent of an audiophile, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's not even any 4K content yet. There very likely will NEVER be any 8K content.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cobalt Viper posted:

There's not even any 4K content yet. There very likely will NEVER be any 8K content.

There are 8k cameras, which means some rear end in a top hat will make hours of 8k fish tank footage, and YouTube will host it just to show off their bandwidth epeen like they do with 4k fish tank footage now, so that some other rear end in a top hat has an excuse to buy an 8k tv

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Manufacturers are already showing off 8k TVs. They'll end up coming regardless because they want to keep the consumer cycle going.

That said, there's a shitton of 4k content now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I believe the 2012 Summer Olympics were shot and broadcast in 8K.

E: yep, NHK. https://www.theverge.com/2016/8/2/12349954/8k-broadcasts-start-japan-nhk

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Cobalt Viper posted:

There is a quite a bit of 4k content.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Don Lapre posted:

There is a quite a bit of 4k content.

Color TV? Bullshit! Nobody's gonna want a color TV, Gunsmoke's still in black and white!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Speleothing posted:

Why the gently caress would anybody want 8k? Why would you want that level of detail? 4K is already excessive for anything under 60”. You’d need a 100” screen to benefit at all, and at that point should just buy a projector rather than worry about moving it around corners and staircases.

I remember the first time I turned on Gran Turismo 3 for PS2. "This is it, graphics will never top this". At least I was like 14. How can people be this short sighted now? I want a 100" tv once I build on a proper rec room. My brother's 65 looks small in his.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Let's not forget LG's wallpaper TV.

Let's also not forget that it's the SAME PANEL as in the lower models, just with the electronics broken out. The only reason why it costs a premium is because it's cool as gently caress, but we are currently living in an era where TVs thinner than a poster can just be mounted on the wall with magnets. TV size will continue to get bigger while disappearing into the room more, it's inevitable

movax
Aug 30, 2008

bull3964 posted:

What's crazy to me is the settling on 30fps for some of these streams when 90+% of scripted content is 24fps. So much money and effort is spent on producing content only to shove it down the SHITTIEST pipe possible for that framerate. 24p into 30fps is something like 2:1:1:1 cadence which is utter rear end since the correcting frame is on the screen twice as long as the other ones so judder is really exaggerated.

So it’s possible some Blu-Ray rip of a TV show will look better / not suffer from judder compared to me legally streaming said show? Goddamn.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The bitrate of the Blu-ray rip will likely be way higher too, so yeah. You can download a season of something like Game of Thrones that eats up about 200gb of disk space. The web version is around 1/10 of that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

movax posted:

So it’s possible some Blu-Ray rip of a TV show will look better / not suffer from judder compared to me legally streaming said show? Goddamn.

It is entirely possible that a good 720p blu ray rip will look better than a 1080p stream/webrip.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Don’t forget the iTunes 720p versions looked better than their 1080p counterparts too!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

movax posted:

Yup yup. Most provider streaming apps do 30fps streams and it's horrendous. 24fps was never ever meant to live in 30fps.

Some do it right, Syfy is native 24fps streams. USA is/was/kinda. Colony has been having issues with the stream the past few episodes where I think the source itself is hosed up. Disney is another that has native 24fps streams. HBO Now, Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu (library) all get it right with native cadence.

FX Now, AMC Now, BBC America; 30fps all the way down. It's a travesty.

In other news, I've decided that Dolby Vision through an external input is a lost cause with my C6. The input lag for DV is between 100-120ms and I cannot get decent lip sync going on with the X700 I picked up. I'm currently using split HDMI out because my X2200W doesn't support Dolby Vision yet, but comments from people with receivers that support DV seem to support it not helping.

So, I think the X700 is going back to the store and I'll keep using my trusty Philips 7501. I MIGHT consider the Panasonic UB820 when it comes out since it will have an HDR Optimizer that will tone map HDR10 for OLED displays, but it's a loving expensive player.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Yup yup. Most provider streaming apps do 30fps streams and it's horrendous. 24fps was never ever meant to live in 30fps.

Some do it right, Syfy is native 24fps streams. USA is/was/kinda. Colony has been having issues with the stream the past few episodes where I think the source itself is hosed up. Disney is another that has native 24fps streams. HBO Now, Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu (library) all get it right with native cadence.

FX Now, AMC Now, BBC America; 30fps all the way down. It's a travesty.

In other news, I've decided that Dolby Vision through an external input is a lost cause with my C6. The input lag for DV is between 100-120ms and I cannot get decent lip sync going on with the X700 I picked up. I'm currently using split HDMI out because my X2200W doesn't support Dolby Vision yet, but comments from people with receivers that support DV seem to support it not helping.

So, I think the X700 is going back to the store and I'll keep using my trusty Philips 7501. I MIGHT consider the Panasonic UB820 when it comes out since it will have an HDR Optimizer that will tone map HDR10 for OLED displays, but it's a loving expensive player.

Out of curiosity, how do you confirm the stream data, does the TV display diagnostic info about what it thinks is coming in? Or it’s your playback device?

e: hmm apparently I need a Mac running XCode and I can enable a developer overlay on my ATV

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I have a Roku Streaming Stick+ connected to my Denon AVR. So, I can enable native output from the Roku and take a look at the HDMI info on the AVR to see things like frequency/colorspace/bit depth.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
2020 Tokyo Olympics will be in 8K. Sports seem to be the only real pitch for >4K - and they even messed up HDR for the on-going football World Cup.

Guess HDR is harder to pitch, especially if you have to explain nits and Dolby Vision.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
8K and HDR would be a dream ... if home 3D made a comeback. Of course, you'd either need an 8K-capable player or a steady 100 Mbps connection and home 3D seems dead despite tons of movies being released in 3D in the theater so, uh, I'm not holding my breath.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Post-conversion 3d is pretty weak anyway and it seems like in response to the lack of 3d in home sets we're not really getting many true 3d films at this point.

I feel pretty safe in buying UHD versions of films. If an 8k version of optical media comes out you have to figure most 35mm films are already at most of the possible resolution achievable at 4k scans. (Obviously, this would depend on a ton of factors on the negative, and things like 65/70mm negative would actually benefit). You'd probably just see what is happening now, newer releases shot on 8k sensors being native, and then older things shot on film upscaled from 4 to 8. I highly doubt studios will pay for a second scan at 8k for minimal gains if they've done one at 4k..and even then it'll be a long time before you start seeing new transfers in 4k being done en masse (like blu vs dvd)..Maybe less so when criterion jumps into UHD.

I feel like I waited out the format and won't be quadruple dipping like a ton of my friends (vhs > dvd > blu > uhd).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Eh, some of the best 3d stuff I own was all done in post.

I still maintain that if passive 3d on a 4k set was how people were introduced to 3d at home, it would have been sought after more. My C6 is orders of magnitude better than theater 3d.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also the majority of films that used 3D were either animation or heavily CG reliant where the workspace would be in 3D anyway. The fact the cameras weren't 3D capable isn't that big an issue.

I still don't massively care one way or the other about 3D, but it's nice to have the option.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I think they stopped doing as many 3D movies in theaters because there's entire groups of people like my weekly movie crew where we actively avoid all 3D showings because the glasses make everything dark and clunky as poo poo, and they scam an extra $4 per ticket for what is overall a worse experience.

The only movie 3D I've ever actually appreciated was watching 3D SBS with Oculus Theater inside of a Gear VR headset. Mostly because the movie is at full brightness.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I haven't really seen a reduction in the amout of 3d in theaters.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

bull3964 posted:

Literally every major movie is almost ONLY in 3D. So uh yeah, dunno where the reduction thought came from.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ddogflex posted:

Literally every major movie is almost ONLY in 3D. So uh yeah, dunno where the reduction thought came from.

What?

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Well, on the larger screens at the big theaters. I was being hyperbolic.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
The first 3D non-novelty film (meaning not, like Captain EO) I saw was Life of Pi. It was beautiful. Gravity and Fury Road were also great. I'd love passive 8K HDR home 3D.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Anyone have a tcl 2018 6 series 55”? Trying to find out the space between the feet to see if it would fit on my girlfriends tv stand.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

GreenNight posted:

Anyone have a tcl 2018 6 series 55”? Trying to find out the space between the feet to see if it would fit on my girlfriends tv stand.

I have one, I can measure when I get home but it's pretty wide.

Edit: this is from the Rtings review but I think it's pretty accurate. Have not tried reversing the legs myself.

Like most TCLs, the R617 has a stand that is nearly the full width of the TV. You will need a very wide table to put it on. It is made from metal and feels strong and sturdy. This change in material is nice from the plastic feel of older TCL models.

Footprint of the 55" TV stand: 47.8" x 10.6"

The legs can also be reversed, in which case the stand measures 28.5" x 10.6".

Referee fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 26, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah it looks like the majority of 55” TVs have feet far apart and not the middle base. I really want her to get rid of her 40” pos but she refuses to get a new stand or wall mount. Cool.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My two budget screens have wide apart legs, while my bigger (but way more expensive one) has a stand in the middle. It’s definitely a thing where people have had issues with finding a tv with a center stand too, so it’s weird there’s not more options.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Yeah it looks like the majority of 55” TVs have feet far apart and not the middle base. I really want her to get rid of her 40” pos but she refuses to get a new stand or wall mount. Cool.

Last year's Sonys [X720E, X800E, X900E] all have center stands. They switched to wide ones this year for whatever baffling reason.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I do know at least with the Sony models you can reverse the legs, pointing them inward, so a narrower stand could be used.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I have one upstairs, its 48" between the feet. I had to get a pretty wide stand to accommodate it since I hate wall mounts. I prefer center stands but they seem to be dying out. My 2017 OLED still has a center stand thankfully so I can keep using the 20 year old monstrosity I inherited from my parents.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
You can also buy universal stands with VESA mounts.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

You can also buy universal stands with VESA mounts.

Oh really. I need to look into this. We'd really like to get that TCL, but she has some antique she really likes to have her TV on.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

bull3964 posted:

IMAX isn't ordering 3D for cinema releases anymore (they're still doing it for their educational type movies), and receipts for 3D shows were about half what they were in 2010.

I agree with Bull though, 3D was pushed on the consumer (the TV market especially) in the rush to boost sales way before the technology was really there. If it was as good at introduction as when they stopped making 3D sets I think it would have taken off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I still think you will see a lot of 3d on IMAX screens for theatrical viewing still though. It may not be IMAX native, but they large format screen will still be in use for 3d.

But man, 4k and an HDR capable TV really really pushes 3d on the home over the top especially on OLED.

Home 3D complaints:
Flicker
Reduced Brightness due to glasses
Reduced Contrast due to the TV needing to increase brightness to compensate for the glasses
Expensive glasses

However, with OLED:
Passive 3d at full resolution (made possible with 4k display) means no flicker
Brightness issues can be overcome since the TV has brightness headroom for HDR, so it can fully compensate on an SDR image
Perfect black means raising the brightness level to compensate for the glasses means the black floor is not raised so contrast is maintained
Passive tech means cheap to free glasses, theater RealD glasses work fine with the TV, so just take a pair home after going to the theater

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Just you all wait until James Cameron comes along with his 4 Avatar sequels and reboots the whole 3D thing all over again.......for the umpteenth time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

bull3964 posted:

I still think you will see a lot of 3d on IMAX screens for theatrical viewing still though. It may not be IMAX native, but they large format screen will still be in use for 3d.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind-screen/is-golden-age-3d-officially-1025843

I think whatever imax has control over is going mostly 2D, but I can’t speak to how their licensing works.