Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Deffo: Gintama, Banana Fish
Maybe? Attack on Titan

The folks in Attack on Titan explicitly lose their dicks when they get big. I dunno, though, might end up as an endgame superpower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

The folks in Attack on Titan explicitly lose their dicks when they get big. I dunno, though, might end up as an endgame superpower.
I'm sure there's a fanfic/douj where this takes place.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

do they lose their dicks, or do they just have huge dongs hidden inside their bodies

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Their regular human bodies are inside the giant bodies, so they still have their regular human sized genitals in there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

do they lose their dicks, or do they just have huge dongs hidden inside their bodies

They lose their dicks on multiple levels - their normal bodies get absorbed, legs-first, into giant, dickless bodies. They are down two potential dicks.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
they can't form a giant dong + the rest of the body, it's one or the other

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Retractable Titan Dongs. That's an image.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the dong titan, a titan formed from all the dongs the other titans don't have

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Sharkopath posted:

Did yurikuma square the circle with the mixed messaging of oppressed minorities being murderers and cannibals in a satisfying way cause that's what dropped me off of it.

It used the trappings of horror films like suspiria and left me feeling confused more than entertained, with more pity for the oppressor than the oppressed

I got to like episode 5 I think

I think buying into YKA beyond the first couple of episodes pretty much requires finding a way to read all the death as something other than literal. All the other things you can read it as are still gonna be pretty uncomfortable, but not quite as conversation-stopping as "the bears literally murder people". I feel like I got a lot out of YKA, but I also feel like I probably read it generously and filled in a lot of gaps with my own experiences, so it's not something I can give an unqualified recommendation for.

Anyway, to get back to the current season, there are things I enjoy about Happy Sugar Life but it might be a stretch to call them healthy or positive. I tend to like stories about people pursuing their obsessions to the point of self-destruction and that's the angle I'm coming at HSL from, more or less. In terms of what I'm personally getting out of it, it has less in common with Citrus and more with, I dunno, Breaking Bad.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Did yurikuma square the circle with the mixed messaging of oppressed minorities being murderers and cannibals in a satisfying way cause that's what dropped me off of it.

It used the trappings of horror films like suspiria and left me feeling confused more than entertained, with more pity for the oppressor than the oppressed

I got to like episode 5 I think

The circle is squared by the fact that the war is not between oppressors and oppressed, but between two oppressed groups being driven against each other by their oppressors. The bears and humans represent two stereotypical images of lesbians in classic manga/anime. There’s not much sympathy to be found in the actual oppressors, who are very distant, alien figures - more faces of a system than characters.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 27, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Thuryl posted:

I think buying into YKA beyond the first couple of episodes pretty much requires finding a way to read all the death as something other than literal. All the other things you can read it as are still gonna be pretty uncomfortable, but not quite as conversation-stopping as "the bears literally murder people". I feel like I got a lot out of YKA, but I also feel like I probably read it generously and filled in a lot of gaps with my own experiences, so it's not something I can give an unqualified recommendation for.

Anyway, to get back to the current season, there are things I enjoy about Happy Sugar Life but it might be a stretch to call them healthy or positive. I tend to like stories about people pursuing their obsessions to the point of self-destruction and that's the angle I'm coming at HSL from, more or less. In terms of what I'm personally getting out of it, it has less in common with Citrus and more with, I dunno, Breaking Bad.
Ah, gotcha. Some of us call it the "Keene Path of Life".

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
tfw Morishima wanted to do a yaoikuma side chapter but it didn't get the green light

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/hakumikotv/status/1011780815108259840

Hooray

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I really appreciate that people here actually give a gently caress and are willing to talk about what art means to them. Thank you.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Huh, interesting genre tag

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

tfw Morishima wanted to do a yaoikuma side chapter but it didn't get the green light

thats the real oppression

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i can't tell how genuine this post is cuz it's drunk and I'm 2:58 am but there's like 3... 4? manga i know where lesbians and gay dudes exist at the same time without combusting and i treasure them all for various reasons and idk i woulda liked it cuz i like all her other stuff

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

i can't tell how genuine this post is cuz it's drunk and I'm 2:58 am but there's like 3... 4? manga i know where lesbians and gay dudes exist at the same time without combusting and i treasure them all for various reasons and idk i woulda liked it cuz i like all her other stuff
i like the episode of Mnemosyne where rin and her secretary get drunk and gently caress and then rin goes to hang out with some dudes at a crossdressing bar, but unfortunately its in mnemosyne

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't remember that bit from the last time I watched it 10 years ago

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Man, after a jam packed spring season there's nothing jumping out at me based on the synopsis's.

I'll just give it a few weeks, catch up on the backlog and see what's going strong later.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Grand Blue if treated and directed right will make this the year of greatest faces of anime. I am already thrilled.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's the director from nichibros

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Knorth posted:

Huh, interesting genre tag

Yamishibai's been around for a while it's cool

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Yamishibai's been around for a while it's cool

Last season was a very good one all based on women writers in horror, the few seasons before it were very not good and I still have screencaps from the insnaley dumb oogah booyah monsters they tried to jumpscsre the audience with

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The first two seasons are very good though, short 5 minute horror stories.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's the director from nichibros

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hes also writing and doing sound design, which he also did for nichibros

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sharkopath posted:

Last season was a very good one all based on women writers in horror, the few seasons before it were very not good and I still have screencaps from the insnaley dumb oogah booyah monsters they tried to jumpscsre the audience with

I watched some of the first season and it was fun. So seasons 1-2 and 5 are worth watching then?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

cute vampire girls are coming to your neighborhood this fall

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i liked yamishibai 3 because they had some cool monster designs. i fell off after that but i think 4 was the one with live action segments? honestly i appreciate the they bother to change up the formula at all even if their track record is mixed.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Nothing about that screams 'vampire' to me

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

dogsicle posted:

i liked yamishibai 3 because they had some cool monster designs. i fell off after that but i think 4 was the one with live action segments? honestly i appreciate the they bother to change up the formula at all even if their track record is mixed.

They weren't very cool to me, I thought they were silly and goofy and out of place compared to the rest of the shows design work. Every story is a long series of maybe interesting buildup and the big monster going awooooooooooaboogabooga and being all gross looking, smashcut end.

The first time in 3 that happens I thought it was a silly story but then it keeps happen..... I was genuinely mad.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

I watched some of the first season and it was fun. So seasons 1-2 and 5 are worth watching then?

Yes. I still watched 3 but dont recommend it for reasons previously stated, 4 has some good stories and some not so good, 12 5 are usually consistently neat and unsettling horror stories.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Please note this is also not me exaggerating a dislike of some episodes, the same artist does the monster design for each episode in 3 and I believe only 1 episode does not follow the formula of buildup to showing the monster in full and then smashcut ending.

I always tell the truth and never never spit no lies.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Jackard posted:

The screaming comes later.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think there's a handful of goofy stuff in early seasons so the monster stuff didn't bother me outside of it being such a single minded focus, whereas other seasons vary between all sorts of horror stories. the only standout episode i would say is the bathhouse one, though

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Jackard posted:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jackard posted:

There are two "pale" girls dressed in gothloli-esque fashion. That's basically all the screaming you could ask for, unless one of them was Dr. Acula's daughter.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

neets are the modern vampire

-stay inside
-pale
-a penchant for old clothing
-are parasites on society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.