Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Like, I'll say it again I don't care. The music was sooo good. The performances, the original score, just perfect.

I'm asking around right now, so I figured I'll ask here too just in case. Before the main performance in Ep 12, there's an instrumental track playing. Is that something original for the show? Trying to find it.

EDIT: certainly feels like an original score track, but it's not listed in the ost... I ripped it and might just upload it later, it's such a great simplistic beat track

Mezzanine fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Mezzanine posted:

Like, I'll say it again I don't care. The music was sooo good. The performances, the original score, just perfect.

I'm asking around right now, so I figured I'll ask here too just in case. Before the main performance in Ep 12, there's an instrumental track playing. Is that something original for the show? Trying to find it.

EDIT: certainly feels like an original score track, but it's not listed in the ost... I ripped it and might just upload it later, it's such a great simplistic beat track

Was it this track? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UAPtyHgVhw

This was the one I had to look up towards the end of LCS2. "Black Beacon" by this band is incredible.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

LC2 was great and I think its my favorite of the Marvel Netflix shows now.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

"I must visit my mother in Havana to free up enough of the budget for Coleen and Danny to show up for an episode".

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mezzanine posted:

A soundtrack can only have so much music on it.
So I wouldnt be surprised if that particular track just wasnt released.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I like this season of LC a lot but there's a lot of writing that I keep hearing and I think "oof that sounds like an out of touch white guy wrote that" but then I checked all the writers and they seem like mostly people of color, so maybe some of the acting isn't very convincing?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

nooneofconsequence posted:

Nandi did nothing wrong.

She got caught

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What's the future of these shows on Netflix? What's left in their Disney deal?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

DD S3, Punisher S2, JJ S3, and Iron Fist S2 are in the works, with DD probably being the next show on the docket. After that who knows, though I wouldn't be surprised if LC S3 gets announced within the next couple of weeks.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jose Oquendo posted:

What they currently have can keep going with more seasons as long as its popular enough for Netflix to finance it, but there will be no new series.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Verisimilidude posted:

I like this season of LC a lot but there's a lot of writing that I keep hearing and I think "oof that sounds like an out of touch white guy wrote that" but then I checked all the writers and they seem like mostly people of color, so maybe some of the acting isn't very convincing?

or maybe writers of color aren't all a weird monolith who never sound like out of touch white guys? v:shobon:v who can say in these trying times

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Soothing Vapors posted:

or maybe writers of color aren't all a weird monolith who never sound like out of touch white guys? v:shobon:v who can say in these trying times

sweet kwanza

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if LC S3 gets announced within the next couple of weeks.

don’t be

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Just finished LCS2 and liked it a lot. Still think Cage himself isn’t super interesting but it was a good show. That said, I would watch the gently caress out of a show called “Gwen’s” that was just about the restaurant and all the old dudes and characters laughing and giving each other poo poo in patois. I was kind of rooting for the Yardies the whole show as long as Misty made it out. Piranha was entertaining too. Shades and Mariah were holy gently caress cringe level at points. Music was also off the charts good. Solid season.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You know, I figured out a thing that's been bugging me that I haven't really been able to put my finger on till now. They haven't made any good sound effect for Luke hitting people. Or Bushmaster for that matter. It's the exact same one Danny had and it might've been the same throughout. Give Defenders as much- well deserved- poo poo as you want but that one felt like they did showing super strength a lot better than this season did IMO. But that's probably an element of shorter season and requiring less super strength per episode. I wish it was something more solid like when Danny was punching Luke before he actually got his chi together.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

You know, I figured out a thing that's been bugging me that I haven't really been able to put my finger on till now. They haven't made any good sound effect for Luke hitting people. Or Bushmaster for that matter. It's the exact same one Danny had and it might've been the same throughout. Give Defenders as much- well deserved- poo poo as you want but that one felt like they did showing super strength a lot better than this season did IMO. But that's probably an element of shorter season and requiring less super strength per episode. I wish it was something more solid like when Danny was punching Luke before he actually got his chi together.

That’s funny, because one the things I noticed was they really pushed the feeling of power in his and Bushmaster’s strikes with all LFO hits in the sound design. Every time there was a “super” punch by Luke or Bushmaster I could *feel* the rumble from my subwoofer. It was pretty effective.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Soothing Vapors posted:

:monocle:

2reachmu
Jul 30, 2005

SA-MART
SUCCESS
STORY

MiddleOne posted:

Like god if you can't do the effect then just cut and have it happen off-screen/obscured. How the hell did that make it past editing without anyone going 'Uuuuuuh'.

I feel like nobody wants to bother with practical effects anymore, even though there are tons of talented people that do that kind of work. Most of them never make it out of the horror genre.

We live in a just do it in post world.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

squirrelzipper posted:

Shades and Mariah were holy gently caress cringe level at points.

I've only seem part of the first episode so far, but I thought this was supposed to be on purpose? They don't give a gently caress about each other and only acting like they're in a relationship for some sort of business move and every other character who sees them showing affection just rolls their eyes at how bad it is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've only seem part of the first episode so far, but I thought this was supposed to be on purpose? They don't give a gently caress about each other and only acting like they're in a relationship for some sort of business move and every other character who sees them showing affection just rolls their eyes at how bad it is.

And Shades is really in love with Comanche.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I liked Shades and Mariah.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I really enjoyed Luke Cage Season 2. I really like his new costume.

Also I completely forgot that Reg E Cathys died this year.

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.
It was a good season, only thing I didn't like as much was the background music numbers, but it was still good.

I wanted to see more of Misty and Colleen hanging out and kicking rear end together. Also, the biggest tease was Misty's robo-arm having that big red button that I was hoping she would use for some kind of taser attack or whatever. :(

Bushmaster was great. Every time he wasn't on-screen I was asking "Where's Bushmaster?" :v: I didn't like how he just got whisked away in a van back to Jamaica, he needed better closure of his arc.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Kal-L posted:

Bushmaster was great. Every time he wasn't on-screen I was asking "Where's Bushmaster?" :v: I didn't like how he just got whisked away in a van back to Jamaica, he needed better closure of his arc.

I'm thinking Bushmaster might be back, if not in a season Luke Cage, then possibly on Jessica Jones to explore the background behind the "flu shot" he got as a kid that he was the only one to survive, and how that might potentially tie into IGH and all the illegal experiments on people they have been doing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People in these Marvel shows love getting their witnesses killed.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The show started off strong but the back half of the season was just Mariah and bushmaster talking about how they’re going to kill each other. Someone posted above about how Luke cage isn’t really in the show, and that’s right…While I’m glad they don’t do the requisite “hero is unconscious and has to heal” episode, this could’ve been a seven episode season if he had either not protected Mariah or allowed her to be arrested differently.

There are entire episodes of things we’ve already seen: Shades or Maria trusting/not trusting each other, people retreating to fortresses, Misty not fitting in as a cop.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Kal-L posted:

I wanted to see more of Misty and Colleen hanging out and kicking rear end together. Also, the biggest tease was Misty's robo-arm having that big red button that I was hoping she would use for some kind of taser attack or whatever. :(

I'm not sure if this even should be spoilered, but just in case I just want to say that I also spent half the season waiting for that to pay off only to notice in one of the final episodes there is a red "button" on the underside of her hand too. That red thing is just supposed to represent a pin running through the entire hand it seems. Which is the dumbest design choice imaginable because IT LOOKS LIKE A BUTTON, AND I KEPT WAITING TO SEE THE BUTTON GET PUSHED, PUSH THE BUTTON MISTY, PUSH THE BUTTTTTOOOOONNNNN... It's a baffling decision.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Golden Bee posted:

Misty not fitting in as a cop.

One of my favorite parts of this season is how surprised and horrified Misty looks when her bosses tell her that she's doing a good job and they want to reward her for it.

Far and away my favorite character in the Luke Cage shows.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Hakkesshu posted:

DD S3, Punisher S2, JJ S3, and Iron Fist S2 are in the works, with DD probably being the next show on the docket. After that who knows, though I wouldn't be surprised if LC S3 gets announced within the next couple of weeks.

Current reports put IF S2 as next with a heavy push at Comic-Con and a possible late August release and DD S3 late November.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I've been continuously surprised at how good this season has been. I've just got two episodes left but the complaints about the pacing are kind of surprising to me - yeah, there are some repeated beats, but it doesn't feel anywhere near as meandering as some of the other Marvel shows. The way they continuously build up Bushmaster is really effective, and also, they made a really fun episode with Iron Fist! Was happy to see that :unsmith:

Mariah is loving incredible, her total breakdown is some of the rawest poo poo that has been in any of these shows.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

Mariah is loving incredible, her total breakdown is some of the rawest poo poo that has been in any of these shows.

All the little tremors and tics and nervous mannerisms of a person who *just* took that one step past “functioning alcoholic” as the season progressed was some incredible, understated touches to her character. Probably because I’ve seen that exact same thing play out in real life to recognize what it was.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Proteus Jones posted:

All the little tremors and tics and nervous mannerisms of a person who *just* took that one step past “functioning alcoholic” as the season progressed was some incredible, understated touches to her character. Probably because I’ve seen that exact same thing play out in real life to recognize what it was.

Agreed. I wasn't sure at first if it was intentional or if the actress couldn't lock on to a specific way to play her character but ultimately she did a good job with it during season one and she only perfected it during this season.
She may have been the most interesting character for me this time.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

AbstractNapper posted:

Agreed. I wasn't sure at first if it was intentional or if the actress couldn't lock on to a specific way to play her character but ultimately she did a good job with it during season one and she only perfected it during this season.
She may have been the most interesting character for me this time.

Finally so e with this season but yes! Mariah was fantastic. Alfre deserves an Emmy nom honestly. She put a lot of great work into that character.

That said was it just me or did Shades and Misty have the best chemistry this season!? I'm kinda bummed He's in jail because he was one of my favs

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Not dead though, so there's that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I believe Shades & Mariah have the Antonym for chemistry

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Does the new season of Luke Cage get better as it goes on? I really liked the first season a lot but the first two episodes of the new one have bored me. Bushmaster seems interesting but they're taking forever to get going with his plotline.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bust Rodd posted:

I believe Shades & Mariah have the Antonym for chemistry

Couldn't agree more, Their acting together was poo poo at best. Shades is the worst.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Does the new season of Luke Cage get better as it goes on? I really liked the first season a lot but the first two episodes of the new one have bored me. Bushmaster seems interesting but they're taking forever to get going with his plotline.

It really does! It made Mariah a more compelling character, Bushmaster is interesting as is Tilda aka Nightshade who I was super excited about because she is a pretty obscure character . Danny is better this time around too, and he's only in one episode so it's more like a cameo than anything. It also hits hard on toxic masculinity, the different fragments of black culture etc

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Well, four episodes in, Luke Cage S2 started strong and is actually improving. I’m pleasantly surprised and a, really enjoying the season. Bushmaster is so very entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Finished it last night and really enjoyed it. Misty was great and everything involving her. Alfre Woodard's performance as Mariah and her who evolution/breakdown/transformation is amazing and uncomfortable and off putting all in the right way. Shades' conflict between being a psychopath and actually having some feelings and guilt was really a roller coaster. Him just laughing maniacally during his confession was chilling and Misty's reaction said it all. I really enjoyed Bushmaster and I have no idea how I feel about him between callous murderer and justifiable vigilante. Tilde was great and even if I'm not entirely sure what might motivate her to follow in the Stokes footprints I'm down to see. I really enjoyed Danny and Colleen and the brief looks we got at Heroes for Hire and Daughters of the Dragon. I thought the really overt tweak of Danny (complete with nod to the camera) worked, but I also didn't hate Danny as much as most.

Luke's fall is something I'm still uncertain about. Maybe that's to some of the criticisms about Colter's acting but I don't really have a problem with him. I think some of it is obviously that we were supposed to be uncomfortable with it and it was happening all season from his violence and conflict with Claire to his moral conflicts between Mariah and Bushmaster. I don't know if I personally felt I was there with him when he made the decision to take Harlem's Paradise and become the benevolent crime king of Harlem but I'm on board to see where it goes.

I'll agree that its the best second season of one of these and I'm down for S3 and more Defenders stuff.

And yeah, of course the music was great.