Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

DeadButDelicious posted:

I wonder if REmake 2 will address the shortage of desks in the S.T.A.R.S. office because there's only enough desks for the Alpha team and Rebecca. So like, did Bravo team just hotdesk or work out of a separate office, what's the deal there?

going by the maps from the e3 demo, the office is definitely bigger by the looks of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Vikar Jerome posted:

going by the maps from the e3 demo, the office is definitely bigger by the looks of it.

That's cool if it's the case. I thought it was a neat touch in the original that you could pick out who sat where based on Leon/Claire's comments. It'd be nice to get a little more character injected into Bravo team this way. Forest can have a bunch of 2nd place sharpshooter trophies to reflect Chris always upstaging him.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

So they give him a gently caress-off 40mm grenade launcher. Emphasis on 'Special' in that S.T.A.R.S. acronym.
Enrico was ahead of his time by giving his sharpshooter a grenade launchers. People wouldn't be laughing if the mansion had turned into a tentacled dinosaur-whale that needed precision delivery of grenades to take down.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

DeadButDelicious posted:

I wonder if REmake 2 will address the shortage of desks in the S.T.A.R.S. office because there's only enough desks for the Alpha team and Rebecca. So like, did Bravo team just hotdesk or work out of a separate office, what's the deal there?

I swear I read it somewhere but can't find it right now that people just kind of floated between desks and after the mansion the surviving members could be assigned a desk.

EDIT: Ah here it is on the wiki. The 6th paragraph in "History"

"The S.T.A.R.S. office had to go through a major clean out as over half of the officers were murdered (by products of Umbrella). Their desks were cleaned out and, as such, nearly every member had their own desk to work at, save Brad."

TheKingslayer fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jun 28, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ha ha, gently caress you brad!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

DeadButDelicious posted:

That entire room makes no sense. You could argue that it's been downsized since the Mansion Incident, but if that's the case then why the gently caress does Wesker still have a desk? S.T.A.R.S. had also been disbanded for weeks by the time RE2 happens, so there even being a designated office for them is a mystery in itself.

Only Chief Irons knows the meaning of this gubbins.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

TheKingslayer posted:

I swear I read it somewhere but can't find it right now that people just kind of floated between desks and after the mansion the surviving members could be assigned a desk.

EDIT: Ah here it is on the wiki. The 6th paragraph in "History"

"The S.T.A.R.S. office had to go through a major clean out as over half of the officers were murdered (by products of Umbrella). Their desks were cleaned out and, as such, nearly every member had their own desk to work at, save Brad."

Does the wiki explain where all the restrooms are?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SettingSun posted:

Attempting to jettison the cargo before you're supposed to damages the tyrant, so you can kill him weaponless with some skill (or are unlucky). Guess how I know that.

I didn't even know you were supposed to shoot him at all for years, I just assumed you had to keep jettisoning him while only shooting him to slow him down a bit to get space. IIRC you just attempt it three times and he's gone.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vikar Jerome posted:

none of the same cast are back and she wasnt in rev2 either and i stopped caring about the claire not being alyson after 5 mins because the game was awesome.

True, I've still got to play Rev2, have the PS4 one on the shelf. I liked Rev1 but didn't finish it, the Chris bits were pretty bare bones and overall kind of felt it overstayed it's welcome. The Jill boat stuff was cool for the first half or so, and I enjoyed how over-the-top crazy some of the cutscenes and whatnot are. 2 does look a bit different in story/tone.

Vikar Jerome posted:

was playing the original non-DC ps1 version of Resident Evil the other week and i got to the Forest part and i was legit scared and confused since i my brain had rewired itself to expect the jump scare.

DC must always refer to Dreamcast. I have the Blade Runner Dreamcast on DVD for example.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

DeadButDelicious posted:

It could probably be spun as a day shift/night shift kind of thing. I mean there were two teams for a reason and it didn't seem like Racoon City was really big enough for two crack assault squads to be in operation simultaneously.

That being said, it would be awesome if the whole place was fully accessible and explorable (were there not busted doors and stuff for rooms that simply didn't exist?). It would also be great if they stuffed it full of new RE1 callbacks and stuff.

After finishing 7 though I guess I was a little disappointed that the haunted house ghost thing from the demo was replaced with mould monsters. I get they were aping the Silent Hill demo but it was actually pretty scary compared to the full game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
They actually patched a mold monster into the demo eventually! :eng101:

I’m still too much of a weenie to bother going through the whole thing in VR. :negative:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

On the desks thing, I like to leave room for stylized and gameplay chosen reasons for settings not being full scale recreations. Anybody can design a fully realistic place, just imitating the floor plan of real buildings etc. That may not be the most fun to play in though. And the more desks, the more you want to hump and press the use button on to see if you're missing anything. We need just the right balance of desks to hump.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

SettingSun posted:

Well that was the chief's most closely guarded secret.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Remember we're talking about a game developed on a system with less processing power than a smart watch. Thinking about it in that sense makes me disappointed at what games could be doing today that they just aren't.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

codo27 posted:

Remember we're talking about a game developed on a system with less processing power than a smart watch. Thinking about it in that sense makes me disappointed at what games could be doing today that they just aren't.

What exactly do you expect games to be doing these days that they aren't compared to the old RE games?

I mean, they were a really basic, technically speaking. You were just running around in a set of small 3D planes layered on top of static pre rendered pictures.

Games these days (such as RE7) push hardware to the limit with what they need in terms of video ram and processing power.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Hey man if you need to go to such absurd lengths to even get into the parking garage why do you think the restrooms aren't locked away in a similarly bizarre manner?

"Hey Frank, there's a chance I may need to take a leak in the next thirty minutes so I gotta go get the pegasus medal from you-know-where. Cover for me will ya?"

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm the backwards US flag hanging in the briefing room of the RCPD

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Does any of the extraneous RE media even attempt to explain the insane puzzles in the police station?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

sponges posted:

Does any of the extraneous RE media even attempt to explain the insane puzzles in the police station?

I think most of it comes from the chief's diary. More form the wiki

"On September 23, Irons was alerted to the leak of the t-Virus into the city's water supply. Overcome with this news, Irons finally broke down mentally. Believing himself to be infected, he began giving confusing orders to the police officers to ensure that the entire precinct died with him. One such order was for the weapons to be relocated to various caches around the precinct, aware that the Zombies would soon render those caches unreachable. On September 26 Irons decided to take a more direct approach and shoot people on sight, killing one officer named Ed"

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Also the police station was funded and designed by Umbrella, so that's a good explanation.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
RCPD's main gameplay sin in the original was basically being a lot more linear than the mansion part of RE1.

I don't think adding more areas is exactly a bad thing.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

DeadButDelicious posted:

There's nothing wrong with the RE2 zombie noises, I think it just belies CV's development as "proto-RE3" and it's weird and awkward to me that they didn't just record new zombie sounds or go back and do anything with them. CV's a weird game.

This, however, is correct. The music is gloomy and atmospheric and spot on.

Gotcha, yeah given all the time they spent on all the other aspects of the sound design it's weird they didn't add anything new for the zombies, maybe just ran out of time?

and CV for second best save room theme behind re2 imo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
This might have just been in my head but there's a note that states the RCPD was designed by the same guy that designed the mansion in RE1 right?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

CharlestonJew posted:

This might have just been in my head but there's a note that states the RCPD was designed by the same guy that designed the mansion in RE1 right?

No, the RPD has a weird layout because it was an art museum beforehand. All of the weird paintings and statues are down to being part of Irons's collection, and Irons is A) on the take (and apparently was so sloppy about it that the only reason nobody noticed was the general corruption of Raccoon City), B) obsessive, and C) a psychopath.

codo27 posted:

Games are doing a lot. The problem is, as ever, development time. Nobody is "settling"; instead, most projects start wildly ambitious, then get whittled down by the realities of the production cycle.

There are a lot of magical features that would be great in a world where you could wish them into existence.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

CharlestonJew posted:

That rings a bell, though wasn't the Original's mansion a fairly standardly designed place (give or take the odd secret passage room and such).

You know what i'd like to see, some DLC for RE2 which is just the days in the Mansion leading up to the original outbreak (i doubt we're gonna get yet another REmake). You're just this scientist who works there while all of your lab buddies get turned into test subjects and paranoid people are installing crazy security systems while the whole building slowly descends into a nightmare.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kin posted:

That rings a bell, though wasn't the Original's mansion a fairly standardly designed place (give or take the odd secret passage room and such).

You know what i'd like to see, some DLC for RE2 which is just the days in the Mansion leading up to the original outbreak (i doubt we're gonna get yet another REmake). You're just this scientist who works there while all of your lab buddies get turned into test subjects and paranoid people are installing crazy security systems while the whole building slowly descends into a nightmare.

sounds like a George Trevor side story DLC

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, the police station being a former art museum that was converted was one of the few things in the entire series that I felt really fit, and managed to integrate gameplay and story in an interesting way. It's a throw-away line in a random document you find somewhere, but it helps explain a lot.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

DeadButDelicious posted:

I hope they re-include the Back to the Future 3 calendar on the wall next to Rebecca's desk.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Vakal posted:

I hope they re-include the Back to the Future 3 calendar on the wall next to Rebecca's desk.

I know its kind of mundane but that's such a strange easter egg to me.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Backhand posted:

Yeah, the police station being a former art museum that was converted was one of the few things in the entire series that I felt really fit, and managed to integrate gameplay and story in an interesting way. It's a throw-away line in a random document you find somewhere, but it helps explain a lot.

I had no idea this was a thing. That's so cool.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Vakal posted:

How the hell did I never notice that.

Also address the picture of the guy on Jill's desk. In RE2 the description says "there's a picture of a guy on this desk. Probably her boyfriend..." And Jill says nothing about it in RE3.

I hope it's just a picture of Kaimya in a supermarket.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Vakal posted:

I haven't played through RE3 that much, but holy poo poo.

Silent Hill still takes the cake with everything being from Kindergarten Cop. :colbert:
but everyone knows about that so maybe it's not as cool

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Agoat posted:

I had no idea this was a thing. That's so cool.

I might be misremembering it in part, but I thought the reason the station was built in an old museum in the first place was because Irons was an eccentric loon even before he went bugnuts crazy.

I might just be thinking of the one memo where someone mentions getting bitched at by Irons for leaning up against one of those statues in the landing before the STARS office.

And either the briefing room or the library had a bunch of paintings/portraits pushed against one wall.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Not long started a new job. My keys are right out of RE2. Now I just need to find the weapon box..

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

SettingSun posted:

One of the things they mentioned during the demo was literally "Raccoon City has bathrooms now" so we now in fact have an explanation.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

codo27 posted:

Not long started a new job. My keys are right out of RE2. Now I just need to find the weapon box..

You've also got the P. Room Key there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Oh Japan, it's a "bathroom" not a "P Room".

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Oh Japan, it's a "bathroom" not a "P Room".

The P Room is real.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Wanderer posted:

No, the RPD has a weird layout because it was an art museum beforehand. All of the weird paintings and statues are down to being part of

I remember a friend and I being floored when we first played RE2 when it first came out because of how much they nailed the area of NJ we both lived in at the time. I'm still convinced that, somehow, the RE2 people visited the old Red Bank, NJ police station because it was one of those stone school buildings with some modern annex and it had that exact same history of and look of modern office oh hey baroque corridors with weird art pieces and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Mogomra posted:

Silent Hill still takes the cake with everything being from Kindergarten Cop. :colbert:
but everyone knows about that so maybe it's not as cool

Whaaaaauhhwhat? Are you serious?