Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Judge Schnoopy posted:

"I've been here so long and have sooooo much information in my head (that I refuse to write down), this place would fall apart without me!" is usually enough to scare management into firing newer, more competent people.

Angry Boss thought he had that going for him but lol nope business continues uninterrupted (because I'm working 13 hours a day getting myself up to speed and unfucking everything he had his angry little fingers in)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

silicone thrills posted:

If I didn't have to cover for the guy I wouldn't have known how little he has to do and I wouldn't be irritated. I wish I didn't know.

Also I just realized they repainted the lines on the road and I got yellow paint on the bottom of my beautiful new car. (I was being very careful and definitely never crossed the line myself so no clue how the heck it happened) christ. - luckily the DOT has instructions for taking it off with out damaging the finish -

Wishful thinking, but maybe people didn't make as many requests because they knew he was out?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

baquerd posted:

Wishful thinking, but maybe people didn't make as many requests because they knew he was out?

Na. Talked to someone else who had covered for him in the past and they were like "yeah, I have no idea what he does" also guy I bullshit from another group that works kind of closely with us - facilities - and they were puzzled.

also found xbox games lying around. could just be a coincidence but i sure as gently caress wouldn't leave that lying around because it gives a bad impression to any of our clients who might ever walk in/around.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I just got a resume with a Hotmail address on it. Bold. Very bold.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

tactlessbastard posted:

It's all about the 10 minute mail.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

tactlessbastard posted:

What freemail is acceptable? I use an outlook.com address, but curious.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

tactlessbastard posted:

Hotmail is fine, especially if it's a Windows shop.

It's the AOL or Yahoo addresses that should be ringing alarm bells.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Anytime I got a call for a password reset from someone that had an @aol.com address, the call took at least 15 minutes longer than normal.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
People with yahoo addresses inevitably never know their passwords at all. Or their recovery information.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I deal with lazy people, and it's poo poo. I don't really mind too much if somebody just can't be bothered to put a bit of effort in to make their own life easier, or further themselves, but I have no tolerance for it when it affects other people. One guy in particular is completely aware of it as well - he'll call me to just talk about an issue that he's hit before even reaching the "steps to reproduce" phase of troubleshooting, and then talk really slowly and waste a bunch of time. Last week he spent all day at a site that has SCCM, going around to every PC manually to install something because he doesn't know how SCCM works and hasn't put any effort into learning, and then complains that he's not getting any of his other tasks done. Very quickly running out of patience for that sort of attitude - this isn't an internship, start pulling your weight.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: After years of hard work and toiling in the depths of IT and Software Engineering, I have just signed the paperwork to purchase my first house. I want to take a moment to appreciate that our industry has given myself, a high school drop out, and countless others like me, a chance to participate in the american dream.

Now that the moment is over, back to bitching about our lives in the 1's and 0's mines.

Congratulations! Not a college drop-out, but I recently bought my first house as well back in March. I got sick and tired of getting in bidding wars and losing before finally deciding to just buy one straight from the developer. When I got let go from my job at the end of January all I could think of was losing my down payment. Fortunately I got a new job and the builder was nice enough to push the closing back a week so that I could close the day after I started my new job. Stressful, but after years of renting it's nice to finally have a house to call my own.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Thanks Ants posted:

I deal with lazy people, and it's poo poo. I don't really mind too much if somebody just can't be bothered to put a bit of effort in to make their own life easier, or further themselves, but I have no tolerance for it when it affects other people. One guy in particular is completely aware of it as well - he'll call me to just talk about an issue that he's hit before even reaching the "steps to reproduce" phase of troubleshooting, and then talk really slowly and waste a bunch of time. Last week he spent all day at a site that has SCCM, going around to every PC manually to install something because he doesn't know how SCCM works and hasn't put any effort into learning, and then complains that he's not getting any of his other tasks done. Very quickly running out of patience for that sort of attitude - this isn't an internship, start pulling your weight.

Depending on what it is PDQDeploy is dead simple to use. SCCM scares a lot of people, it's pretty intimidating and has a reputation for "easy to gently caress up".

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I am, or was now that my last day is tomorrow, the lead SCCM administrator and it is absolutely intimidating as hell and it's ridiculously easy to gently caress your setup.

That being said, deploying packages or applications is easy as hell and as long as you're deploying the right thing there's no danger there. Grab the msi if one exists and deploy as an application, wrapping the exe in an msi is trivial, or you can literally write a batch file that calls your installer with the proper flags and deploy as a package. The latter is how I did almost all of my deployments, from out of band patching to fix a a patch breaking WSUS via wusa.exe to local admin password changes with sysinternals.

It's scary, and it's reputation is absolutely valid. I was given control of the system with minimal experience and absolutely no supervision or training and it took me a couple months spending multiple hours a day to approach basic competency with it - you really have to understand your infrastructure to be able to troubleshoot problems.

But application deployment is piss loving easy and you can learn the process in about an hour or two, max.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 28, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Having never used it, the part of SCCM that seems scary is how powerful it is. I always think of that university that pushed a config that involved a reformat and reinstall, but then hosed up the collection and pushed it to every computer including the SCCM server itself, so they couldn't stop it.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Inspector_666 posted:

Having never used it, the part of SCCM that seems scary is how powerful it is. I always think of that university that pushed a config that involved a reformat and reinstall, but then hosed up the collection and pushed it to every computer including the SCCM server itself, so they couldn't stop it.

yeah don't do that lol

But I don't see how it's any more inherently dangerous than setting an acl or adding a local user to an ASDM. Sure, if you press or do the wrong thing your entire network can go down - that's why you make sure you plan the hell out of all your changes and don't ride cowboy on them. Same with SCCM. Plan your poo poo. Test your poo poo. Deploy.

Be real careful with required task sequences because a big enough disaster with those can be career ending, make sure you always use maintainance windows, set up your collections properly, etc. With basic precautions and common sense there's no risk other than gross administrative error.

...so in retrospect I now realize why people are terrified of it lol

mewse
May 2, 2006

The Iron Rose posted:

yeah don't do that lol

But I don't see how it's any more inherently dangerous than setting an acl or adding a local user to an ASDM. Sure, if you press or do the wrong thing your entire network can go down - that's why you make sure you plan the hell out of all your changes and don't ride cowboy on them. Same with SCCM. Plan your poo poo. Test your poo poo. Deploy.

Be real careful with required task sequences because a big enough disaster with those can be career ending, make sure you always use maintainance windows, set up your collections properly, etc. With basic precautions and common sense there's no risk other than gross administrative error.

...so in retrospect I now realize why people are terrified of it lol

"gross administrative error" is my middle name

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

mewse posted:

"gross administrative error" is my middle name
I am also gae

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

anthonypants posted:

I am also gae

gae is bae

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

silicone thrills posted:

People with yahoo addresses inevitably never know their passwords at all. Or their recovery information.

I wanted to log into Yahoo Groups last week to look at a file someone posted (it's for a fairly involved wargame mostly played by olds without a lot of tech savvy). I don't log in much, I just get posts sent to my Gmail. My password recovery email was @excite.com.

Fortunately, it was from the days I used the same handful of password for everything, so I was able to figure it out eventually.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

My boss looked at SCCM briefly, but then looked at the licensing and that scared him off.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I wanted to log into Yahoo Groups last week to look at a file someone posted (it's for a fairly involved wargame mostly played by olds without a lot of tech savvy). I don't log in much, I just get posts sent to my Gmail. My password recovery email was @excite.com.

Fortunately, it was from the days I used the same handful of password for everything, so I was able to figure it out eventually.

What game

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Weedle posted:

What game

World in Flames

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

World in Flames

quote:

Playing time: 2-100 hours

I’ll take it

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanatosian posted:

Hotmail is fine, especially if it's a Windows shop.

It's the AOL or Yahoo addresses that should be ringing alarm bells.

My main email address is a yahoo address. Have had it for two decades. I have opposable thumbs, too.

But drat if my gmail accounts are a zillion times faster.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MF_James posted:

What freemail is acceptable? I use an outlook.com address, but curious.

I haven't seen one in years but maybe I'm just living on a different part of the internet. I know my wife and I certainly manage to see exactly zero of the same things online in the course of a day.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Weedle posted:

I’ll take it

I don't think 2 hours is reasonable even for the 4-turn learning scenarios. There's actually a convention in Sacramento this week, Saturday to the following Sunday, play 12+ hours a day, try to complete a game. Sounds like there will be 5-6 games (20-30 attendees) being played, which is a cool turnout for this. My old FLGS had a game including the owner they kept up on a wall, took about 2 years to complete, playing 4-5 hours one night a week.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I’m not sure what exactly our QA team does. I’ve been working tickets and come across quite a number of issues that should have been caught by them before making it to production. When you are reporting two different things you should totally just print one of those things twice. Developer messages for troubleshooting code left in? No big deal, customers won’t notice. This was on a function that thousands of people use multiple times a day. Someone no one ever noticed or reported it until I caught it. Why test some of the most used portions of the software?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

My main email address is a yahoo address. Have had it for two decades. I have opposable thumbs, too.

But drat if my gmail accounts are a zillion times faster.

Given their major data breaches, I would view an IT person putting a Yahoo mail address on their resume somewhat skeptically.

I'm not saying you don't have opposable thumbs... Just that I wouldn't be entirely surprised if you didn't.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

I don't think 2 hours is reasonable even for the 4-turn learning scenarios. There's actually a convention in Sacramento this week, Saturday to the following Sunday, play 12+ hours a day, try to complete a game. Sounds like there will be 5-6 games (20-30 attendees) being played, which is a cool turnout for this. My old FLGS had a game including the owner they kept up on a wall, took about 2 years to complete, playing 4-5 hours one night a week.

That honestly sounds dope. I have a soft spot for impractically long grognard games. One of my board game buddies and I like to joke about starting Campaign for North Africa. I worry that he’s crazy enough to actually buy a copy.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Thanatosian posted:

Given their major data breaches, I would view an IT person putting a Yahoo mail address on their resume somewhat skeptically.

I'm not saying you don't have opposable thumbs... Just that I wouldn't be entirely surprised if you didn't.

Yahoo’s data breaches are a valid point and I concede that. But I kinda like the fact that I have a bizarre email address that harkens back to the days when people used handles for their email addresses and Yahoo’s IPO made huge news.

It’s like an old guy on his porch pointing to the vintage original Edsel in his car port saying, “See that? They don’t make them like they used to.” It’s true, but not for the reason he thinks.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I still have my original Hotmail and msn email accounts. It's a bummer the CompuServe address was lost to time, I'd put that poo poo all over my resume if I had access after all these years.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I still have my original Hotmail and msn email accounts. It's a bummer the CompuServe address was lost to time, I'd put that poo poo all over my resume if I had access after all these years.
The commissioner of my county’s board of elections has a Prodigy address that he flaunts proudly for this very reason.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
There is a person at work that is so profoundly stupid and terrible at their job, I'm actually glad they work here where they can be kept from things that might hurt innocent bystanders. I've honestly never met someone that was such a void of knowledge.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
We are hitting all of PDQs limits unfortunately and really need a different suite of tools. But everything is obviously more expensive, so maybe we can just hack PDQ to do <that>

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
things pissing me off: RADIUS

network access has been standardized as RADIUS for, what, two decades? right now, there are three options for configuring a RADIUS server:

- CISCO ISE, an expensive, somewhat unreliable and more importantly - slooow for what we need it for.
- Aruba Clearpass, probably better but considered a sidegrade from ISE and lacks some features we need
- FreeRADIUS, an open source project that's fast, flexible, and fits nicely into a devops model

So, freeradius yeah? Apt install freeradius. Oh, sweet, they don't keep the debian packages updated, gently caress me right, why'd I expect they would. Ok, lets install from source. gently caress that is a lot of dependencies, luckily we can package it up ourselves, few more dependencies for that, aaand cool now I have...several, debian packages. Uh, ok, I want all of these packages, nice and easy, dpkg -i *.deb. Failed. Oh they have to be installed in order because of course they do.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Goddamnit Microsoft.

It's Friday, I'm starving, I have a deadline, I'm already in a foul mood and THIS is the moment when your login services poo poo the bed so I can't get into Azure.

:argh:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Congratulations! Not a college drop-out, but I recently bought my first house as well back in March. I got sick and tired of getting in bidding wars and losing before finally deciding to just buy one straight from the developer. When I got let go from my job at the end of January all I could think of was losing my down payment. Fortunately I got a new job and the builder was nice enough to push the closing back a week so that I could close the day after I started my new job. Stressful, but after years of renting it's nice to finally have a house to call my own.

Owning your own place loving rules.

I dropped out of uni and managed to buy my place last year before i hit my mid 20's.

All those years of spending no money and never doing anything fun are paying off!

I actually went out I just hustled people for drinks because i'm passably good at pool

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

dogstile posted:

Owning your own place loving rules.

I dropped out of uni and managed to buy my place last year before i hit my mid 20's.

All those years of spending no money and never doing anything fun are paying off!

I actually went out I just hustled people for drinks because i'm passably good at pool

I’m another college drop out that just bought my first house last year. Mortgage payment that is close to half of what the renting price would be? Don’t mind if I do. I used to hate mowing the lawn as a kid but now I enjoy it. Not sure if I’m old or it is pride in taking care of something I own.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

SEKCobra posted:

We are hitting all of PDQs limits unfortunately and really need a different suite of tools. But everything is obviously more expensive, so maybe we can just hack PDQ to do <that>

Legitimate question - what are you running into for limits?
I started rolling PDQ here at the threads recommendation almost 2 years ago, and there hasn't been anything I couldn't do in some way. Lot of learning powershell to "cheat" around things, but so far its worked.
Not that I haven't had issues, and I'm still working on a few things, but gently caress its a powerful tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Totally unrelated to IT but some advice I have for fellow homeowners is get to a point where you're sitting on 6-12 months of mortgage payments so that you can eat a perhaps unforeseen job loss without worrying about literally losing your home.

Some of my friends are morons and still live paycheck to paycheck despite being homeowners and my butthole clenches just writing that sentence.