Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
That's a fuckin rad rear end drawing 10/10 thread delivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Played a bit of PUBG after not playing for ages and got a rando squad chicken dinner and the match after that I got 11 murders. I’m back!

Crazy how much better the game runs now and is yet still so janky

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
Game fun, Discord mods dumb and do not appreciate "The Waistband Trick".

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

RocktheCaulk posted:

Game fun, Discord mods dumb and do not appreciate "The Waistband Trick".

Tell me about this trick

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Tell me about this trick

Do you own pajama pants or gym shorts with a snug fitting waist band ??

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Maybe...

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
not sure why they're increasing volume on footstep sounds

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Bought game. Servers go on maintenance. Loaded up CS:GO.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Tell me about this trick

Possibly NSFW

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

yea gently caress the lord

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

game is fun. but my computer is too lovely. :(

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

numberoneposter posted:

game is fun. but my computer is too lovely. :(

What are your specs?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Thom P. Tiers posted:

What are your specs?
dont laugh

-Intel Core2 Quad Processor Q9550 @ 3.4 GHz (the CPU turns ten years old this year!)
-Nvidia 960
-4 GB of some kind of RAM

surprisingly i get away with a lot of games but CPU heavy stuff not so much

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Do you have an SSD? If not, it's basically required to be able to play this game.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

SSD upgrade, bump the RAM up to 8GB, recommend an upgrade to GTX 1050 or higher, but if your CPU is pushing 10 years, you're likely looking at a full mobo/cpu overhaul.

RAM is probably DDR2, but could be 3.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Hockles posted:

Do you have an SSD? If not, it's basically required to be able to play this game.
hmmm i do, i just installed it on my big HD tho, i could try that though, its the stutter in the early game that usually gets me dead

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The power supply is probably getting up there too

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i dont have an ssd and i run the game fine

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Wtf goons out of that spec the 960 is the least of his worries. Terrible idea to trade it for a 1050 or so. He’d be way better served replacing everything else and getting a 1160 eventually or something when the prices drop.

That 960 is not the bottleneck. PUBG requires 8gb by the way.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

for not a whole lot more money you could be running the game even finer

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

my PSU is fine in my frankenstein rig, might track down some more second hand ram

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

The nice thing about running 10 year old mobo/cpu/ram is that when your friends upgrade you can get their cast-offs for a song.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i will see if i can get 8GB of DDR3 RAM and move the install over to the SSD.

otherwise i like the game, its sorta janky though lol, but i get the appeal.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
yea, RAM and the SSD might be a big boost for you.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Why doesn’t my 10 year old CPU run an unoptimized beta full release?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
To be fair, I don't think it was a complaint. It was a stated fact that the computer was poo poo. I just asked for specs to maybe help get the most out of it.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'd do RAM and CPU before an SSD or new video card

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

no dude youre all getting it wrong you have to start by replacing your CMOS battery and then soldering on some extra capacitors to your motherboard

and then you dump water on it its called liquid cooling the kids are all doing it these days

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

i might try putting my computer in the oven

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

numberoneposter posted:

i might try putting my computer in the oven

It'll fuse some of the video cards traces so the data can just short cut on through rather than taking the long way around.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Ok, so I put my computer in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees and it posted. All the rivets and welds seem to be stronger than ever. :thumbsup:

After physically examining my Frankenstein computer I discovered that at one point I bought 8 GB of ram but BIOS is only reporting 4 GB of ram. It's an Anus P5Q, and I've looked it up and apparently I'm not the only one with ram issues as I browse threads from 2009, and I've messed around with enough settings to come to the conclusion that:

1) I was sold 4 GB of ram for the price of 8 GB of ram. (two sticks of that say 2GBx2 and when I plug one in it only reports as 2 GB and when I put both in it reports as 4 GB despite it saying it should be double)

or

2) There isn't enough time in the day to figure this one out.

I'm tempted to find a few more sticks of ram and trouble shoot some more, maybe more is better. I've already cranked my NB thing up to where it was going purple in the BIOS tuner.

I'm now currently deleting years of gigabytes of patches and updates and caches that don't get deleted and have collected on my 100 GB SSD like barnacles onto a ship and moving the PUGB install right next to Windows and Adobe Lightroom.

I'm also looking at some budget used computers on the used local used market. Hate to see my Frakenstein rig go, I still like the idea of a 10 year old CPU and I'm sure I could find a use for it, but the bottleneck on the CPU is getting pretty absurd.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
That computer probably gets better FPS than the Xbox version.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

It still is suspect and running on low but the SSD tip makes all the difference.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

im in a real hurry, can i microwave my pc to get more fps?

ControlledBurn
Sep 7, 2006

Frost his bag!

Salean posted:

im in a real hurry, can i microwave my pc to get more fps?

How else are you gonna do it?

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

numberoneposter posted:

Computer woes...

1) Check to see that the RAM sticks are the exact same model.
2) try them in slot 1 slot 3 configuration if they’re not already. Some mobos like their RAM spaced that way, Or slot 2 slot 4 just make sure there’s an open slot between them.

But still, 4gb is pretty much minimum spec for almost anything you do on a computer these days

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

It still is suspect and running on low but the SSD tip makes all the difference.

Does the SSD really make that much difference? I've got mine installed on the spinny one, but I can clear some space and move it over if it's worth the hassle.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Rad-daddio posted:

Does the SSD really make that much difference? I've got mine installed on the spinny one, but I can clear some space and move it over if it's worth the hassle.

since the game came out it's really the one thing that has made a noticeable difference for almost everyone

also it's not really a hassle, it's one click in steam

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Rad-daddio posted:

No it’s just in the OP before all of the trolling for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Rad-daddio posted:

SSD read speeds are generally much better than conventional hard drives, access time is much better, and there's no need for defragging since SSDs are random access. Also since there's no read head you don't get stupid mechanical failures. as a professional computer toucher, i spend a lot of my time upgrading HDDs to SSDs and its a good idea for pretty much everyone except the most die-hard data hoarders.