Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Meridian posted:

Okay so real talk. Like, thread jokes aside. With what Star Citizen has going on right now, what would it actually take to make the game fun? Like honestly. Imagine all those stupid game breaking bugs were fixed and the game was at least 30fps. Those are the conditions of this thought experiment.

All it needs are 30 half-hour single player missions that start in a lobby to be a space game minimum viable product "beta"

It would be hugely disappointing in scope and probably derivative, but a lot of good will could be extended on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Meridian posted:

Okay so real talk. Like, thread jokes aside. With what Star Citizen has going on right now, what would it actually take to make the game fun? Like honestly. Imagine all those stupid game breaking bugs were fixed and the game was at least 30fps. Those are the conditions of this thought experiment.

Functional multiplayer. A method to buy ships with progression. Player factions, sov. Multiple systems with established ways to make money (Space trucking, mining, missions). At least 32 people on a server, in something like at least 5-6 systems, connected by gates or wormholes. Make piracy a thing that actually makes you feel like a pirate. Lie in wait in a nebula with scanner pulsing until a ship passes close by, move to intercept.

And most importantly, paraphrasing Otzdarva's immortal words, make the flight model not suck dick.
And i consider those barebones :V

... I just described a modern freelancer again, i wonder if there's a reason :thunk:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

What CIG really needs to make for the audience they've retained are huge anime titty waifus inexplicably attracted to conspicuous political incorrectness and conspiracy theories.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

Hey guys,

I've been following Star Citizen from a distance since 2012. Wing Commander was a little before my time, but I played the hell out of X-Wing Alliance and became a huge fan of the late golden-era space sims. I was hopeful that SC, or at least SQ42 could scratch that space sim itch for me; once EA acquired the SW license I knew there would never be a new X-Wing game. I never became a backer, mostly because I'm kind of old fashioned when it comes to crowdfunding/early-access; I always try to wait for someone to present me with a somewhat finished product. Also, my encounters with the "community" on Reddit were always awful, as they invaded the PC Gaming sub to endlessly proselytize SC and their savior Chris Roberts. Eventually after the epic delay of 3.0, SC kind of fell off the face of the earth as far as most mainstream gaming media coverage and interest. I lost track of it until a few months ago when I heard that it reached some new unfathomable funding goal. I thought "surely there must be something approaching a Beta build by now for so many people to be still throwing money at this project." Boy was I shocked once I started doing some research and digging through this dumpster full of burning money.

I stumbled on Bootcha's amazing series and became instantly fascinated with SC, not as a game, but as a bizarre social phenomenon. People spending tens of thousands of dollars on unfinished art assets, in a wildly unfinished game, that is still struggling to implement basic mechanics and integral technologies 6-7 years and 188 million dollars into development. It's still hard to comprehend.

Anyway, I've been lurking here for a few months and finally decided to create an account in the beautiful afterglow of Chris admitting that SQ42 is still years away and 3.3 will likely be heavily delayed. You guys are awesome, and have given me more entertainment than any released game ever could. I just hope to contribute in some small way as we all watch this dumpster full of money continue to burn.

welcome, friend :wave:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mario death mask posted:

Hold the fort. Look at page 8.

200m/s
SPEED LIMIT

WATCH FOR
SPACE WHALES

:vince:

:lol:

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Neltharak posted:

Functional multiplayer. A method to buy ships with progression. Player factions, sov. Multiple systems with established ways to make money (Space trucking, mining, missions). At least 32 people on a server, in something like at least 5-6 systems, connected by gates or wormholes. Make piracy a thing that actually makes you feel like a pirate. Lie in wait in a nebula with scanner pulsing until a ship passes close by, move to intercept.

And most importantly, paraphrasing Otzdarva's immortal words, make the flight model not suck dick.
And i consider those barebones :V

... I just described a modern freelancer again, i wonder if there's a reason :thunk:

I mean it wouldn't have to even be multiplayer necessarily. Sadly I realized immediately after I posted that all this discussion would be is what Citizens do every day.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Honestly i'm fairly sure most people in this thread could deliver a fun space game even with no prior development experience if you gave em 180 millions :v:

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
So the flight model is now in the hands of junior programmer David Colson?

quote:

I've handed it over to David Colson in the UK who will now carry on with this work.

SomethingJones posted:

John Pritchett Senior Physics Programmer, LA, since 2013
"I'm out here at Foundry 42 so that I can work with Andrew Nicholson (Tech Designer, UK, 1y-ish) and David Colson (junior gameplay programmer, 5mo, UK) on FLIGHT MODEL, so helping out with the TUNING and helping David work on... he's.... he's... been working WITH me recently so he's working on the GRAV-LEV SYSTEM and optimising IFCS and things like that"

https://mobile.twitter.com/dave_colson/status/891687618748002304

Okaaayyyyy

e: Oh wait it's ok. He made HitBox. He's that David Colson.

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 30, 2018

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Are any game news sites reporting the new narrative as told by Chris.

I expect at least one meltdown of that Blobbster guy.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Neltharak posted:

Honestly i'm fairly sure most people in this thread could deliver a fun space game even with no prior development experience if you gave em 180 millions :v:

Just contract one real dev studio to make a game for $45 million, use another $45 million for unexpected problems and keep $90 million for yourself. :shrug:

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

The statement that 'he knew this day was coming for a while now' coupled with the use of the plural in 'I hope our posts will remain' stood out to me.

Armchair Kremlinology says that this is an indication that the long-rumored purge has begun. Chris will be getting rid of all those people he was counting on to rein him in that failed him so miserably, and replacing them with 'the new devs' who will certainly be up to the task.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Neltharak posted:

Step 1 Don't spend >100 million on making GBS threads out "transparent development" marketing and/or mocap and/or whatever other wasteful poo poo
Step 2 Don't Crobbler. Never Crobbler. If you look in the mirror and see a bear, don't do coke.
Step 3 Hire someone else to do really creative lore and build a weird game around that lore with completely weird technologies that justify ww2ing in space.
Step 4 CRYSTAL PLANET

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

posted here by request

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tokamak posted:

posted here by request

:justpost: redchris18

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
First he brings his kids into a video. Now he tries to tell everyone "Look at me I am only human and I make mistakes" I get the feeling this is the start of slowly bringing the backers down to earth, to get them ready for a huge disappointment. Thoughts?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMPTD3Dr4gE&t=476s
apparently they have 500 ppl working in 4.5 studios

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMPTD3Dr4gE&t=944s

quote:

even with the amount of people we have it always seems to take longer and its more difficult than anyone ever (laughter) conceived or thought umm errr you know i think the agile method we have been using is definitely helping out where people you know we have sort of having groups that feel like their own little team and the chief stuff we are still eh you know ah getting used to that its definitely you can see the benefit like going from 3.0 3.1 3.2 and having cadence is also good

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 30, 2018

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

:golfclap:

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

Lladre posted:

They mocapped the vandals years ago. they even have video of it

According to The Agent on a recent ARGCast, they screwed up the mocap Big Time. The Vanduuls (ugh, I hate that fuckin' name) are supposed to be eight or nine feet tall. They didn't take that into account during the mocap sessions.

Normally, when you've got a mocap character who is much taller than the others you put them on stilts or (more normally) put a 'false head' on top of their actual head so that the other human actor can properly look at where their head is 'supposed' to be instead of where it is.

They didn't do that.

So now ALL of the Vanduul vs. human footage has to be re-animated by hand because the sight-lines between the actors are all screwed up. If they don't fix it, then any interactions between human and Vanduul will look weird and janky. The humans will be staring at the Vanduul's chest instead of into their eyes.

This whole dumpster fire has a real 'Ready, Fire, Aim!' feel, don't it?

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'm ded :five:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XRvOY77Xc4

They've been mocapping some flexible people

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Boxturret posted:

So if you get to a certain altitude you can just sit there and burn forever?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vr-I8XIAj8I

Meridian posted:

It would have to be single player. Think something closer to Privateer in 2018.

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

Neltharak posted:

Game Development might be hard, but the basic concepts are very simple:

1) Be Fun.
2) If Fidelity Gets In The Way Of Fun, Then Give Fidelity Two In The Hat

That's all. For example, I'm playing DOOM 2016 and having an absolute ball in spite of its lack of fidelity. Yes, Doomguy does not have tedious reloading animations. Yes, he laughs at notions of things like 'cover' or 'only being able to carry two weapons'. None of it is realistic.

But it doesn't matter, because Doomguy is not here to be realistic. Doomguy is here to have Fun. Fun, in this case, involves tearing off a demon's arm and beating them to death with the wet end. Fun involves taking a chainsaw and opening up zombies to reveal that they're like a pinata stuffed with shotgun shells instead of yummy candy. Fun is running and jumping around like a kangaroo on meth while dispensing painful death to all and sundry.

Every single thing I've seen of Star Citizen looks like the antithesis of fun. From waking up in your WankPod to walking through the utterly sterile space station to flying out to a moon and staring at the endless tracts of procedural generation, it all looks so very, very Un-Fun.

But it is Fidelitous.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tokamak posted:

posted here by request

Another year and a half? Is he being optimistic or is he predicting CIG will crash and burn in that time?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dooguk posted:

First he brings his kids into a video. Now he tries to tell everyone "Look at me I am only human and I make mistakes" I get the feeling this is the start of slowly bringing the backers down to earth, to get them ready for a huge disappointment. Thoughts?

And yet, imagine if one of his employees tried that poo poo. "Sorry Chris, guess i was just optimistic. But its ok, i absolve myself of that!"

Yeah, that one will go down like a lead baloon.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

poo poo, I hope Derek can take the news of SQ42 not coming out this year ok. I'm know he was really looking forward to it.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Kosumo posted:

poo poo, I hope Derek can take the news of SQ42 not coming out this year ok. I'm know he was really looking forward to it.

Derek'll have you know that he called it

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Tokamak posted:

posted here by request

:ohdear:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen: I Absolve Myself of that (I'm Beary Sorry)

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Daztek posted:

Derek'll have you know that he called it

He may have called it, but was the call answered?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

Nah, he got the answering machine

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

Kosumo posted:

I woulda answered the call, but I was on the shitter. Sorry 'bout that.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Look, call, I don't know how you got this number but never call me again. It's over. We're over; you made sure of that when you made it clear your sales were more important than me. If you so much as leave another message I'm getting a restraining order. Goodbye.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 30, 2018

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Meridian posted:

For starters, completely ditch the procedural planets thing. Big empty voids are so much harder to make "fun" than smaller, more bespoke areas.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ilu

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Beet Wagon posted:

For starters, completely ditch the procedural planets thing. Big empty voids are so much harder to make "fun" than smaller, more bespoke areas.

Or basically just go back to what was initially pitched, because that game might have been deliverable. Maybe... with a competent development lead.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beet Wagon posted:

“The promise wasn’t even (AIRHORN)’n FOR procedural planets it was for them to look into the POSSIBILITY of it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Frank_Leroux posted:

For example, I'm playing DOOM 2016 and having an absolute ball in spite of its lack of fidelity.

I would recommend watching the 'making of' vid about Doom 2016.
The original version of the game they made was not as fun as they thought, and drastically rewrote and reimagined it at the last moment.
So, you know, not a Chris Roberts.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jun 30, 2018