Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9-HjAr034M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Something made me do this:
https://tubedubber.com/?q=E9-HjAr034M:EBYsx1QWF9A:0:100:0:0:1

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Given Scrooge's established very long history of far-fetched exploits, I think the idea is meant to be that Magica got herself really hosed up by some backfiring scheme, hence being a living shadow only clinging to existence by basically enslaving her niece.

I don't think she is an actual Shadow or trapped as one. As one of her orders was to bring the dime to her in person.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hey, quick Ducktales Lore question, why does Magica want that dime?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hey, quick Ducktales Lore question, why does Magica want that dime?

It might not be the same for the current Ducktales, but in Barks lore she wanted to make an amulet that would attract good luck and make her super rich, and for that she needed coins that had been earned by millionaires around the world to melt into the amulet; she'd already gathered several, and went to ask Scrooge for a dime, as in "I'll give you a dollar if you give me a dime you've touched." Scrooge agreed but mistakenly gave her the Number One dime and asked for it back in exchange for a different dime, Magica complied and when Scrooge explained it was the first dime he'd ever earned she said "Wait if it's the first one it's much luckier than just a normal dime you've touched so the amulet will be more powerful GIVE ME THAT COIN", and they've been fighting over the coin ever since.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Mikl posted:

It might not be the same for the current Ducktales, but in Barks lore she wanted to make an amulet that would attract good luck and make her super rich, and for that she needed coins that had been earned by millionaires around the world to melt into the amulet; she'd already gathered several, and went to ask Scrooge for a dime, as in "I'll give you a dollar if you give me a dime you've touched." Scrooge agreed but mistakenly gave her the Number One dime and asked for it back in exchange for a different dime, Magica complied and when Scrooge explained it was the first dime he'd ever earned she said "Wait if it's the first one it's much luckier than just a normal dime you've touched so the amulet will be more powerful GIVE ME THAT COIN", and they've been fighting over the coin ever since.

The version I knew is that she specifically needed that coin, not just any random one.
Dammit girl you really dumb, accept any random dime and be sated by the amulet of $medium_nation_GDP obtained easily, why chase the amulet of $big_nation_GDP instead?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Omobono posted:

The version I knew is that she specifically needed that coin, not just any random one.
Dammit girl you really dumb, accept any random dime and be sated by the amulet of $medium_nation_GDP obtained easily, why chase the amulet of $big_nation_GDP instead?

I dunno, I kind of really like this version of her origin story better (based on what limited information I have):

Mikl posted:

Because it makes her seem so much more arrogant and self-defeating. From the sound of things in her first appearance she had basically already accomplished her primary goal (that being get lots of money), and what's more she accomplished it fair and square. She wasn't robbing banks or trying to scam old ladies, she was traveling around the world buying coins from rich guys to make a magic bracelet that would bring her luck and wealth. Through hard work and cunning she had come up with a plan that would bring her success, and it worked! No one was going to stop her from accomplishing her goal because, well, why would they? She wasn't doing anything wrong. Then, at the very last second, she learns that there's a way for her to get slightly MORE wealth and luck (even though she already had a foolproof way to get a ton of wealth/luck) if she stole something from Scrooge instead of just taking what had been freely given to her. So she tries to take Scrooges dime and failed, and she's been failing ever since. She snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and becomes a villain out of greed, not need.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The details vary, but the gist is that the Number One Dime's nature as being the first earnings of the world's richest person make it an unimaginably potent focus for magic relating to luck and wealth, aka sympathetic magic. This is expanded on a bit by how magic works in this show, with Webby outright saying that objects of personal importance make for powerful magical focuses.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember one comic were Magica used Time Travel to steal the coin right before Scrooge got it. But as a result she realized he had none of it's power, and quickly realized the coin Scrooge got next would be his Number One Coin. As the coin was not special on it's own, it was special because it was Scrooge's as a result she ended up giving back to him.

I believe in the original story Magicia did not even need dimes just any kind of coinage from various rich people. But has changed to focus on Scrooge's Coin as what she needs.

And to be exact the her current stated goal in the comic (which was also the one in the original.) Is that by getting the Dime she can melt it down in the fires of Mount Vesuvius (her home in Italy) to create an amulet that is capable of granting the Midas Touch.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

DoctorWhat posted:

In Night of De Spell, Paul McGann cameos as a previous Scrooge.
I hope they get Peter Capaldi to be Fergus McDuck

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DoctorWhat posted:

In Night of De Spell, Paul McGann cameos as a previous Scrooge.

So Scrooge, but not the one we were expecting?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Watching the start of the Legend of the Three Caballeros cartoon that appeared out of nowhere and despite I think having the same VA, Donald Duck is jarringly different from his portrayal in new DuckTales just from the very beginning. He's happy... it's kind of scary. (of course, that's not gonna last)

edit: theeere we go. Still, it kinda highlights how Donald is different in this show, burdened by his responsibility for the triplets and by his past.

Looks like the Money Bin in the background of Duckburg, the classic version.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 28, 2018

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Watching the start of the Legend of the Three Caballeros cartoon that appeared out of nowhere and despite I think having the same VA, Donald Duck is jarringly different from his portrayal in new DuckTales just from the very beginning. He's happy... it's kind of scary. (of course, that's not gonna last)

I hadn't even heard of it until your post, but I watched the first couple of minutes out of interest and he really doesn't seem remotely different to me. He's happy and relaxed for a minute after the prologue, but even that's shattered pretty fast when the phone rings repeatedly as he's trying to eat his birthday breakfast and he becomes irate even on the second ring when he thinks it's Daisy interrupting him a second time. I also saw a scene where he first meets the other two, and he pretty much immediately jumps to suspicion and anger at their arrival.

That said, I'll probably watch a couple of episodes properly later when I get home. The prologue was very "Avatar", with mention of an ancient war as elements flash around the screen too. I thought I'd clicked the wrong thing for a few seconds, because it was so unexpectedly grand in scale.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Watching the start of the Legend of the Three Caballeros cartoon that appeared out of nowhere and despite I think having the same VA, Donald Duck is jarringly different from his portrayal in new DuckTales just from the very beginning. He's happy...

What part of Three gay Cabelleros do you not grasp?

They’re three happy chappies, in snappy serapes, you’ll find them beneath their sombreros.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

tsob posted:

I hadn't even heard of it until your post, but I watched the first couple of minutes out of interest and he really doesn't seem remotely different to me. He's happy and relaxed for a minute after the prologue, but even that's shattered pretty fast when the phone rings repeatedly as he's trying to eat his birthday breakfast and he becomes irate even on the second ring when he thinks it's Daisy interrupting him a second time. I also saw a scene where he first meets the other two, and he pretty much immediately jumps to suspicion and anger at their arrival.

That said, I'll probably watch a couple of episodes properly later when I get home. The prologue was very "Avatar", with mention of an ancient war as elements flash around the screen too. I thought I'd clicked the wrong thing for a few seconds, because it was so unexpectedly grand in scale.

I know, right? And it doesn't help that the show came completely out of nowhere. I think the Philippines upload must have been some kinda scheduling mistake, especially since it apparently leaked the complete series? There's an almost Kingdom Hearts touch to it, though generational adventures are certainly part of the duck franchise DNA.

I mean more that he seems more opportunistic and looking out for himself compared to how DuckTales has touches about how he's burdened by parenthood and responsibility and more reluctant than ever to get caught up in adventures, and see his interactions with Storkules for how he's become outright disillusioned by them. I think lending itself to the theory that Legend of the Three Caballeros was made and completed before the new DuckTales started production/airing.

Interestingly, while they showed the human-looking character in the previews a lot, she seems to be the only one, all the other extras we've seen are dogfaces.

Pfft, April, May and June have colour-coordinated phones.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 29, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Ok this clip from an upcoming episode both shows some peak Scrooge and a really fun cameo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxhXrdGX_eI

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
That's hilarious.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Mighty Ducks cameo when?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Alacron posted:

Mighty Ducks cameo when?

Just as soon as Emilio Estevez is free?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Phylodox posted:

Just as soon as Emilio Estevez is free?

Nah, they should reboot it with Joshua Jackson playing Estevez's role.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Alacron posted:

Mighty Ducks cameo when?

If I recall properly they're one of the few things that they can't use, along with Mickey and the Rescue Rangers

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ok this clip from an upcoming episode both shows some peak Scrooge and a really fun cameo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxhXrdGX_eI

Oh, so I guess Beakly was 100% serious when she said she's a spy. Neat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

If I recall properly they're one of the few things that they can't use, along with Mickey and the Rescue Rangers

It's more that the IRL team still uses the protagonist as a mascot so they gotta work out rights stuff that might not be worth the bother to Disney's legal coven.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Brock Samson as a grandma, I told ya.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

nine-gear crow posted:

For FOWL, hopefully meaning more Darkwing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Brock Samson as a grandma, I told ya.

Someone needs to photoshop up an OSI License To Kill for Beakly. This has to happen.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Jesus, I never thought I'd get excited for a Gummi Bears cameo at this age, but here we are. A new Donald Duck show streamed in the Philippines, an awesome Duck Tales reboot, doors open for nearly all of my childhood Disney favorites to come back...

This is truly the strangest reality.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Das Boo posted:

For FOWL, hopefully meaning more Darkwing.

I'd think she would be for SHUSH. FOWL are the bad guys. Looks like they're trying to keep that page away from FOWL in that clip.

Speaking of Venture Bros, I love Scrooge's Formal Rusty Venture getup in that.

This morning's episode was pretty solid.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 30, 2018

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Episode 16 spoiler/avatar material:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

SubNat posted:

Wait, does this episode not include the kids?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

SubNat posted:

I actually just realized that it's already episode 16. That's actually quite a lot.

VVV Yeah, it's really a good show.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 30, 2018

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

I actually just realized that it's already episode 16. That's actually quite a lot.

And it's all pretty good

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Here was a could-have-been from Frank Angones via tumblr:

Daisy was considered to be introduced by being hired by Glomgold as his #2 in his attempted oneupsmanship over Scrooge.

They didn't do it because they felt that shortchanged the character.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm not sure I like what the show is doing with Doofus.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Nodosaur posted:

I'm not sure I like what the show is doing with Doofus.

A relevant answer from Argones on his Tumblr:

quote:

For this story about the triplets experiencing life without the other two, we wanted to highlight how things could go wrong for them (Huey demanding obedience vs. Big Time’s ruling through fear, Dewey’s desire to be the “most special one”TM meaning no one was there to help him).

For Louie, we wanted to show why would happen if his greed was unchecked by family. We really wanted his foil to be a version of Anthony in the Twilight Zone episode “It’s a Good Life,” where everyone lives in fear of an omnipotent kid who no one ever says no to. Someone really unhinged from reality. We also liked the idea of introducing a rich kid villain specifically as a foe for Louie because, let’s face it, Louie’s too lazy to fight adults.

In that Twilight Zone ep, part of what made Anthony so scary is that he seems so innocent and enthusiastic until he turns. We thought that would be an interesting way to use what we knew of Doofus and come at it from a new angle.

We also settled on Doofus because he was the one character on original DuckTales that we just did not like as kids. For all the great stuff in that show, it did not have the best record with fat shaming, especially when it came to kids. There are whole episodes that hinge on Doofus’ love of pie getting in the way of saving the day. And he was impossibly clumsy to boot. We’d already changed up some other characters to get away from that idea (Beakley as a badass, for example), so we knew we wanted to strip out that element.

And trust me, before we made the change, I did a deep dive on the internet to make sure that there wasn’t some passionate “Cult of Doofus” fandom that would be devastated by a change to their favorite character in all of fiction.

I literally only found a couple of drawings of him falling down and kissing a hamburger.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Awwww, Daisy is his daughter's favorite :3:

I feel like Daisy would last about 5 minutes working for Glomgold before getting totally sick of him. His key characteristic is being a complete douche, and her key characteristic is not putting up with anyone's bullshit. She would either quit or possibly find some way to steal his company via a hostile takeover.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Acebuckeye13 posted:

A relevant answer from Argones on his Tumblr:

I respect that they wanted to get away from that, but I'm not really convinced that making the character that used to make fat kids feel bad about their weight into an unhinged lunatic was the way to do that, either.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
His weight wasn't what made him cuckoopants at least.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Having never heard of him before, (though the name sounded loosely familiar) it seems like a pretty good idea to foil the triplets, Louie especially, with a rich kid who does have access to a bottomless fortune and how it's twisted him into a little monster with no inhibitions. And he seems more broad-shouldered having inherited his mother and grandmother's build rather than specifically fat.

And to be fair, Webby is almost as crazy. Though I can identify with her freaking out about the brothers making a big deal out of what's ultimately 2/3 of them just wanting their own space for a while.

Seems to be a trend in this show in particular to have characters as personal foils to others, though it's always been a storytelling thing. Louie in particular now has about three characters particularly compared to him; Mark Beaks doesn't actually appear with him but is clearly what happens when someone builds their own fortune around con artistry and playing to people's expectations with the minimum of actual effort; Gladstone Gander as someone who has the luck to cruise through life with minimum effort and as a result has every other skill atrophied to uselessness; and Doofus Drake is what happens when a child is outright given a massive amount of wealth and power that no one can say no to him.

And on the other end of things, a bit scary that the Beagle Boys can actually be threatening when they're taking orders from someone who both knows what they're doing and takes their wellbeing into account. To the point that Huey's scared of what happens when he has people who genuinely will do what he says out of respect and admiration, without a moral compass or hesitation. Basically, Huey is getting a taste of power, while Louie is on the other end.

Dewey is just hilarious.

Also, seems like the first time so far we have a robot that actually works as designed until sabotaged. Going by the numbers, it's possibly made by the same manufacturer as Scrooge's security system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It’s probably just an in joke. DT17 and DT87 have shown up a few times on things over the course of the show so far. They of course stand for DuckTales 2017 and DuckTales 1987, the premiere dates of both shows. Lunchpad’s drivers license number is DT87, for example.