Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Zil posted:

Why do you have to tempt Mother Nature like that.

It was prophesied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

give that goose a cigarette

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/GreatDismal/status/1013131505382580224

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1013155470729768960

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Are there any other Spanish words that are this close but this badly far off? It makes me laugh every time, and I hope nobody ever learn to proofread for ñ.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

It's a literal translation to "the anus of the woman" isn't it?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Eat This Glob posted:

It's a literal translation to "the anus of the woman" isn't it?

the latin root of anus is annulus

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/annulus#Latin

Rusty Brown's Ring Donuts also redirects here

e: and the year so yeah, time is a flat circle

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

SpacePig posted:

Are there any other Spanish words that are this close but this badly far off? It makes me laugh every time, and I hope nobody ever learn to proofread for ñ.

Probably every language has a "trap" word that can be mistranslated in a terrible way. Wasn't there a specific English word that kept being translated to Korean as "gently caress" because of it's pronunciation?

There's French with coup de foudre(Love At First Sight) and coup de foutre(Cumshot)

Portuguese has Coco(Coconut, the first syllable is stronger) and Cocô(Poop, the second syllable is stronger)

The popular Japanese game Okami(A Great God). The not so popular Japanese word Okama(An offensive slur to gay or trans people)

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

SpacePig posted:

One subtle one is papa, which changes meaning significantly based on what gender you use for it. El Papa is the Pope, la papa is the potato. I think but can't confirm that some American T-shirt maker or something got caught by this and the año mixup above when they tried making a "Year of the Pope" shirt.

Samuringa posted:

Probably every language has a "trap" word that can be mistranslated in a terrible way. Wasn't there a specific English word that kept being translated to Korean as "gently caress" because of it's pronunciation?
Not sure about Korean, but apparently there was an incident like that in Kosovo.

TLDR: Dude worked in PSYOP during the Kosovo campaign, driving around a truck with a speaker on top broadcasting "THE FIGHTING IN KOSOVO IS OVER", with some details about refugees coming home and how to get help from NATO. Translators were in short supply, so for the first month or so they had to rely on foreigners who'd learned the language from a book or their grandparents. Eventually, though, they did get a local, who pointed out that the broadcast was incorrect. Apparently in the local dialect, that word did not mean "fighting".

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

SpacePig posted:

Embarazada sounds like it should mean "embarrassed," but it actually means pregnant.

The verb cojer means to hail a cab (I think?) in Puerto Rico but it means to gently caress in Mexico.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Coger. Means "to take" in Spain, means "to gently caress" in Mexico, Argentina, and Venezuela (probably other places too).

We have that in English. Tell someone from Australia you're rooting for them and you will get interesting responses.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AlbieQuirky posted:

Coger. Means "to take" in Spain, means "to gently caress" in Mexico, Argentina, and Venezuela (probably other places too).

We have that in English. Tell someone from Australia you're rooting for them and you will get interesting responses.

In New Zealand "make a move" means "to start heading out" or whatever. Not so in the US.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In New Zealand "make a move" means "to start heading out" or whatever. Not so in the US.

Apparently though among Kids These Days in the US "what's the move?" is something you ask to find out what clubs/parties people are going to tonight.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The truth, only slightly less crazy, is that Jim Carrey is playing Dr Eggman in the Sonic the Hedgehog movie.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Me and my friends have definitely been using “let’s make a move” to mean “let’s go” since I was a teenager and this was in Pennsylvania

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Schwül means humid in German. Schwul means gay. This was a never-ending source of entertainment in German class, because apparently a lot of Americans have trouble with the ü sound.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

darthbob88 posted:

One subtle one is papa, which changes meaning significantly based on what gender you use for it. El Papa is the Pope, la papa is the potato. I think but can't confirm that some American T-shirt maker or something got caught by this and the año mixup above when they tried making a "Year of the Pope" shirt.
I have never wanted a t-shirt so badly.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Aesop Poprock posted:

Me and my friends have definitely been using “let’s make a move” to mean “let’s go” since I was a teenager and this was in Pennsylvania

I stand corrected! :aaaaa:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Goddamnit, New York Times :argh:

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1013462423821570050

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

The Ringer has a great write-up on this prank. All you cob nobblers should read it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Taco Bell is officially America's favorite 'Mexican restaurant'

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Isn’t that like saying America’s Favorite Burger Restaurant is McDonalds? Of course it’s going to be the cheapest most available crap.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1013544508112424961

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zesty posted:

Isn’t that like saying America’s Favorite Burger Restaurant is McDonalds? Of course it’s going to be the cheapest most available crap.

Yeah how could it not be?

You mean the only national chain in the entire category beat out that one hole in the wall place in my small town with the killer tacos!?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Yeah how could it not be?

You mean the only national chain in the entire category beat out that one hole in the wall place in my small town with the killer tacos!?
I believe there were only six options in the poll, and they were all major chains.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1013544339790802946

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zereth posted:

I believe there were only six options in the poll, and they were all major chains.

My point is that there are no other national chains

unless you count Chili's as Mexican or some poo poo

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Bloop posted:

My point is that there are no other national chains

unless you count Chili's as Mexican or some poo poo
The full list of possibilities was Taco Bell, Chipotle, Moe's Southwest Grill, Qdoba, Baja Fresh, and Del Taco.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

It sounds very counter-intuitive, but the Inquisition did establish what we would consider the basic tenets of our court systems, like gathering evidence, examination of witnesses, a neutral arbiter etc.

Prior to this system justice was extremely arbitrary. If someone accused you of wrongdoing, and they were more influential than you were, then you were generally guilty unless someone more important than the accuser vouched for you.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Worst timeline confirmed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lakedaimon posted:

It sounds very counter-intuitive, but the Inquisition did establish what we would consider the basic tenets of our court systems, like gathering evidence, examination of witnesses, a neutral arbiter etc.

Prior to this system justice was extremely arbitrary. If someone accused you of wrongdoing, and they were more influential than you were, then you were generally guilty unless someone more important than the accuser vouched for you.

Wasn't the Inquisition established partly to curb vigilante witch-hunting that was starting to make the Church look bad?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Wasn't the Inquisition established partly to curb vigilante witch-hunting that was starting to make the Church look bad?

Sort of, but the thought process was more "there is no such thing as witches, you superstitious idiots, please turn legit heretics and demon worshippers over to the appropriate authorities and leave the others alone".
Although it's also kind of hard to nail down the motivation of "the Church" when e.g. the German bishops have always been fighting with the vatican over every single thing.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I remember reading that they only got the idea to go after conversos when some rear end in a top hat jew wrote them in the hopes they'll ban a rival's book.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

By popular demand posted:

I remember reading that they only got the idea to go after conversos when some rear end in a top hat jew wrote them in the hopes they'll ban a rival's book.

Did you read that on The Daily Stormer, or something? Sounds extremely victim-blamey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Nope. I read it in a book here in israel but so long ago I can't remember more than that.
It's possible that the book was full of poo poo, but I'd like to see if anyone knows more.