Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banned King Urgoon
Mar 15, 2015
Is it so easy? The "obvious" sequence 2.Kb8 Kxa6 3.Kc7 Kb5 4.Kd6 Kc4 5.Ke5 Kd3 6.Kf5 Ke2 7.Kxg5 Kxf3 8.Kf5 Kxf2 9.Kxf4 Kg2 is met by 10.Ke3! with a draw. What's your improvement?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Banned King Urgoon posted:

Is it so easy? The "obvious" sequence 2.Kb8 Kxa6 3.Kc7 Kb5 4.Kd6 Kc4 5.Ke5 Kd3 6.Kf5 Ke2 7.Kxg5 Kxf3 8.Kf5 Kxf2 9.Kxf4 Kg2 is met by 10.Ke3! with a draw. What's your improvement?

2. a7 Kc7 to get it over with quicker

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010

Banned King Urgoon posted:

8..Kg2 and the h-pawn queens and gets back in time to defend f8. Wouldn't call it obvious though!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
I've played around 60 games (only daily ones so far) and my rating has settled in the mid 1200s. What book would you all recommend to improve? Is there one chess book that pretty much every player should read?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
I picked up Reueben Fine's Chess the Easy Way based on a recommendation in this thread and I found it was a great for me. I was also floating around 1200 for a long time and I've finally been going up. Now I seem to be settling around 1300.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

derp posted:

I've played around 60 games (only daily ones so far) and my rating has settled in the mid 1200s. What book would you all recommend to improve? Is there one chess book that pretty much every player should read?

Back when dinosaurs ran the eight track stores, "My System" by Nimzowich was the one must read book. I'm sure that there's something a bit more modern in that vein now though. I've heard good things about Silman's books though I haven't read much of his stuff at all.

I think perhaps chess study should progress like a game. Start with opening study, then move to middle game/tactics, and then on to endgames.

General advice that worked for me: Play against a program at a low level and lose a lot. When you start winning more than 20%, bump it up to then next level and lose some more. Rinse/repeat.

\/\/\/\/ The first section of My System is pretty much baseline stuff and is def useful to any beginner.

dee eight fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 7, 2018

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
If you can read German you can read Nimzo's books for free on nimzowitsch.net .

But I am not sure if one can really learn much from that book alone.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

derp posted:

The book you should read is 60 more chess games and some tactics problems

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I read a lot of chess literature when I was a weaker player and it did very little for me because I didnt understand why the high level strategic concepts were used. It actually probably hurt me because I followed dumb rules without knowing why those rules existed or when I shouldnt do what they say

If you really have to read chess stuff though, if you ever get to a point where you think "oh I should do that" instead of "oh this puts into words a vague feeling I had", stop reading it and play more games

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
well i'm not going to stop playing. but i enjoy books too :)
i have been doing the daily puzzles in the 'chess tactics pro' app on my phone. is this considered a good source of tactics, or any other suggestions?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

dee eight posted:

I think perhaps chess study should progress like a game. Start with opening study, then move to middle game/tactics, and then on to endgames.

I believe it's the other way around. It's more important to know pawn end games, mating with a rook, bishop vs knight, etc, than knowing some opening lines.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Caruana won Norway Chess with +3 =4 -1 over Magnus +2 =5 -1.

Caveat is the -1 to Fabi was against Magnus...

Re: improvement. Tactics helped me understand anotated games better which helped me as a player. But also, gm games and reading books are what I find 'fun.' Chess is a game for 99 percent of us so the acquisition of knowledge should be enjoyable, be it online videos, tactics or books. When in doubt tactics though. Always tactics.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Doctor Malaver posted:

I believe it's the other way around. It's more important to know pawn end games, mating with a rook, bishop vs knight, etc, than knowing some opening lines.

I'm thinking that the average beginner learns the moves, some basics (like how to mate with K+R v K) and then starts playing. They lose a lot in the opening, then learn to improve their openings, then lose a lot in the middle game. Improve tactics/middle game, then lose a lot in the end game, etc.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

dee eight posted:

I'm thinking that the average beginner learns the moves, some basics (like how to mate with K+R v K) and then starts playing. They lose a lot in the opening, then learn to improve their openings, then lose a lot in the middle game. Improve tactics/middle game, then lose a lot in the end game, etc.

Could be, but I don't recall learning openings in the chess club. They did teach us the importance of center squares and concepts like that, but (as far as I remember) not "This is how you play the Sicilian". We did a lot of end game stuff like king + pawn vs king.

In my lovely anonymous blitz games I see a lot of players who get advantage over me by playing a better opening or taking a piece I blunder, but they lose the end game. They know they should win because they have material advantage but their end game theory is poor and they start panicking.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
I think a big thing new players often don’t learn is just basic tactics. You should know what a fork and a pin and a skewer are when you learn about controlling center squares and developing all your pieces.

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
https://www.chess.com/news/view/life-time-ban-visually-impaired-player-for-cheating

This has to be the most absurd piece of chess news I've seen: A blind norwegian chess-player has been banned for life after being discovered with an earplug taped to his hand that he used to crush a 9 year old in a tournament. It does seem rather suspicious that he could win a tournament a couple of years back with a performance rating of 2200+, while an independent investigation determined his rating to be less than a 1000 under controlled conditions.

military cervix fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 10, 2018

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
wow what a loser

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
He should have pretended to be deaf.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

derp posted:

well i'm not going to stop playing. but i enjoy books too :)
i have been doing the daily puzzles in the 'chess tactics pro' app on my phone. is this considered a good source of tactics, or any other suggestions?

Check out John Bartholomew’s YouTube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6hOVYvNn79Sl1Fc1vx2mYA

He’s an International Master just below GM level. He makes his living as a chess instructor. I find that he has the clearest and most helpful channel. Really upbeat, positive guy as well.

Chess24 is another good channel. They do some pretty high quality analyses of GM games, usually keeping those videos about 25 minutes in length, which I find is just right.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
thanks! good stuff

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
We’re putting together another another daily tournament on chess.com. Feel free to join.

https://www.chess.com/tournament/quickpull-memorial-trophy

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Quickpull posted:

We’re putting together another another daily tournament on chess.com. Feel free to join.

https://www.chess.com/tournament/quickpull-memorial-trophy

quote:

This tournament is an invite only tournament

???

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

It was assumed that anyone who wanted to play would be in the goon group hence the entire group got invites. But okay, that is now fixed.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Sorry, I didn’t realize it was set to invite only.

Good luck everyone :)

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

I wanted to join (first had to create a chess.com acc) but now the tourney is full. I guess when the 'invite only' setting was changed, a bunch of random people joined. Or, we have more goon players than I thought.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

algebra testes posted:

It was assumed that anyone who wanted to play would be in the goon group hence the entire group got invites. But okay, that is now fixed.

Ah, ok. Can I get an invite to the goon group as ulmont01?

Doctor Malaver posted:

I wanted to join (first had to create a chess.com acc) but now the tourney is full. I guess when the 'invite only' setting was changed, a bunch of random people joined. Or, we have more goon players than I thought.

Could be either, but the same thing happened to me.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Well it looks like we have already clinched victory in the chess.com match even with 5 games unfinished, although on a few boards (my own included) there was a pretty huge rating disparity.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao I lost a game

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Anyone who wants to

ulmont posted:

Ah, ok. Can I get an invite to the goon group as ulmont01?

Could be either, but the same thing happened to me.

https://www.chess.com/club/keep-your-fork

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i joined a tournament then forgot about it and joined another tournament, then both started at once and i was playing 24 games at once. then went on a losing streak only winning 2 out of 20 games and dropping my rating by over 100. wee. gunna stick to 4 or 5 games at once from now on!

vyshka
Aug 10, 2010
Is ICC pretty much dead these days? Where do folks play live chess online?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
Lichess

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

vyshka posted:

Is ICC pretty much dead these days? Where do folks play live chess online?

ICC is probably still better for high quality play, but if you just want to waste time playing whatever lichess has the advantage of being both free and in a browser.

Relatedly, this game made me feel good: https://lichess.org/Q8Nju4Ya/black

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Love to finish a game and think "yeah my play was really tight there" and then run it through the engine and see just how many times I hosed up, followed by my opponent also loving up, allowing me a victory I probably didn't deserve

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Carbolic posted:

Love to finish a game and think "yeah my play was really tight there" and then run it through the engine and see just how many times I hosed up, followed by my opponent also loving up, allowing me a victory I probably didn't deserve

Yea I look back at games I thought I did really well throughout and it turns out I make a huge blunder in the first 8 moves and my opponent not only misses it but makes a few of their own :/

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Grandmaster games usually look that way as well. Computers can be deceptive. One reason I like the Chessbrah coverage of events is because they don't use engine analysis. Yasser talks about how when evaluating a game the evaluation can switch back and forth between 0.00 and #56 over and over once you hit tablebase territory and so on. Or generally may show 0.00 because both sides in theory can force a draw, but maybe white will have a million ways to draw and black only has one very hard to find one. That will still be 0.00 but are they really even? And so on.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Carbolic posted:

The winner of any chess game is the player who makes the next to the last mistake.

I played one on lichess a week or so back where we took turns dropping a piece. It was dumb as hell but the endgame was interesting at least.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Carbolic posted:

My first pretty-much-blunderless (according to Stockfish anyway) game made me feel like a goddamn pro, and it wasn't even a win. Some of the magic was ruined by it being a daily game with a 3-day timer, which gave me a poo poo ton of time to calculate while sitting on the train/toilet/couch.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
have any of you played chess960 otb? is there an official way to determine the setup? or do you just generate a game online and copy the setup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

derp posted:

have any of you played chess960 otb? is there an official way to determine the setup? or do you just generate a game online and copy the setup?

FIDE basically says generate a game online and copy the setup.

"The starting position can be generated before the game either by a computer program or using dice, coin, cards, etc."
https://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=207&view=article

Really though 960 sucks unless you're at least going to flip each setup and play it twice.
https://en.chessbase.com/post/the-problem-with-chess960