Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Arguably the unique selling point is the setting itself and not specifically the fact that the main character is augmented. It's really not that odd.

To continue with the KOTOR example from before: My first three runs were with each of the jedi classes, and then subsequent runs were blaster or non-lightsaber melee focused. Some of it is wanting a challenge, some of it is just wanting some variety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Alchenar posted:

I don't mind people wanting to play an RPG in their own way and obviously how everyone chooses to have fun is their own business, I just think it's odd that with the choice to play any RPG in existence someone would pick one and then want to play it while negating the main conceit that's its unique selling point.

If I play Skyrim I almost never use dragon shouts. It’s not all that different. Minimalist challenge runs have been a thing for uh...a long time. I don’t understand what’s so weird, offensive, or even all that noteworthy about playing an RPG that way.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I hope you can play as Ciri and augment your ears to hear the difference between 96kbps MP3 and FLAC, which is normally indiscernible.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Look Sir Droids posted:

If I play Skyrim I almost never use dragon shouts. It’s not all that different. Minimalist challenge runs have been a thing for uh...a long time. I don’t understand what’s so weird, offensive, or even all that noteworthy about playing an RPG that way.

The difference between the two is that there's a long history of exploration of the implications of not getting near ubiquitous cyberware in fiction, so in some ways it's more sensible from a "lore" perspective as a character concept than a Dragonborn who doesn't use shouts.

otoh,

steinrokkan posted:

I hope you can play as Ciri and augment your ears to hear the difference between 96kbps MP3 and FLAC, which is normally indiscernible.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Alchenar posted:

I don't mind people wanting to play an RPG in their own way and obviously how everyone chooses to have fun is their own business, I just think it's odd that with the choice to play any RPG in existence someone would pick one and then want to play it while negating the main conceit that's its unique selling point.

It's really not that odd at all. Prey does something similar on a much smaller scale with the Typhon abilities. Playing through the game without them is a little different than playing through with them, and there's a few story beats that acknowledge you refusing to use them.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

But if it's the only version you know, who's to say the lovely sounding cymbals and hihats aren't part of the song?

indeed there is already a plugin called Lossy that you can use to simulate the sound of artifacting in your music, which will be really useful in like 2025 when everyone is trying to go for that that retro "Youtube sound"

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Alchenar posted:

I just think it's odd that with the choice to play any RPG in existence someone would pick one and then want to play it while negating the main conceit that's its unique selling point.

once again, most people have been talking about doing that as a gimmick run after already beating the game once, for an extra challenge. what is odd about that? people have been doing this kind of thing with like every RPG ever. its a really weird thing to get confused by let alone angry like that other dude

also from a roleplaying perspective it makes perfect sense in those kinds of universes. which we've also been over a bunch of times already

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 1, 2018

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
*goon chuffs* Cyberpunk in my cyberpunk 2077? Heh, I don't think so. It's called role playing. We've been over this.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

JohnLovely posted:

aids cum dog dick

Link to this build?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I put ketchup on my well-done steaks in Skyrim and will use cyber beans in my Cyber chili in 2077

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

*goon chuffs* Cyberpunk in my cyberpunk 2077? Heh, I don't think so. It's called role playing. We've been over this.

Yes they're clearly seeking to remove all cyberpunk aspects from the game. Your contrarian attitude is well founded.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

It would be cool to roleplay the 22 year-old 'V' as an extremely stupid rear end in a top hat who grew up with all of this stuff being commonplace but for some reason thinks augmentation is bad or wrong and runs around killing everyone with a shotgun as well as doing other extremely mentally ill things. If possible i would certainly play that way in my 3rd or 4th playthrough

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
Will I be able to play V as the titular character from Thomas Pynchon's V (for Vendetta in its comic book adaptation) or one of the Visitors from V (the made for TV adaptation of Alan Moore's V for Vendetta)?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Just lmao if you don't play through RPG's with the same build every time.

Ah poo poo theyre onto me

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Going on tilt about a game that won't be out for three years

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

fadam posted:

It's really not that odd at all. Prey does something similar on a much smaller scale with the Typhon abilities. Playing through the game without them is a little different than playing through with them, and there's a few story beats that acknowledge you refusing to use them.

Yeah but almost everyone considers it a massive flaw in Dishonored and Prey that the game gives you an incentive not to play about with all the tools on offer.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

still havent tried Prey and imo it looks really cool just waiting until I have time to sit down and do a proper play thru

in fact I still havent finished all the Witcher DLC stuff :o:

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Yeah but almost everyone considers it a massive flaw in Dishonored and Prey that the game gives you an incentive not to play about with all the tools on offer.

I haven't played Prey or Dishonored, but as long as those incentives are purely for flavor/variety then I can't fathom that being an issue.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I haven't played Prey or Dishonored, but as long as those incentives are purely for flavor/variety then I can't fathom that being an issue.

They are not

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Plenty of cyberpunk characters don't have much or any cyberware. All Case's stuff does is prevent him from taking uppers, fix his broken nervous system, and let him Jack in again.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The Dishonored one is literally a single line of dialogue in the last mission of the game, by a dying member of the religious police and it's not even that interesting.

e: And a cheevo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The Dishonored one is literally a single line of dialogue in the last mission of the game, by a dying member of the religious police and it's not even that interesting.

e: And a cheevo.

The chaos system affects a lot more than that.

The stuff in Prey isn't a big deal though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Andrast posted:

true but iirc thats more about incentivizing you to not kill enemies more than incentivizing you not to use your powers at all. like using your powers to escape from various situations is encouraged.

also even "incentivizing" isnt quite the right way to put it since some players want the darker ending and maps with rats all over the place

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Earwicker posted:

true but iirc thats more about incentivizing you to not kill enemies more than incentivizing you not to use your powers at all. like using your powers to escape from various situations is encouraged.

also even "incentivizing" isnt quite the right way to put it since some players want the darker ending and maps with rats all over the place

Like 90% of your arsenal in the first Dishonored is geared for murder though. Dishonored 2 is a lot better about it.

Ligament
Jun 12, 2018
Biscuit Hider

Alchenar posted:

People ITT: I really want a cyberpunk game but I really hope I can make my character neither cyber nor punk

even if it means i get the bad ending i want to be so chromed out they'll be like

"what does it REALLY mean to be human?" :thunk:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Andrast posted:

Like 90% of your arsenal in the first Dishonored is geared for murder though. Dishonored 2 is a lot better about it.

tbh I got bored about halfway through the first one (and I used all my powers and did plenty of murder) so I never bothered with 2

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

WRT to not playing a cybered up murder hobo in Cyberpunk... I think that makes perfect sense instead of being weird. The rejection of the societal norm can make for compelling gameplay and a challenge. Deus Ex: HR for instance trying to manipulate people without the pheromones/face scan tech is a lot more satisfying if you pull it off.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 1, 2018

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Andrast posted:

The stuff in Prey isn't a big deal though.
It was definitely a problem in Dishonored because they gave you a fuckton of murdertoys and then implemented a system where to get the "good ending" you shouldn't use them. As for not using powers, you get an achievement and that's it. Dishonored 2 did the former a lot better and the second is about the same. They're clearly presented as challenge runs, not a way to play through the game the first time. Prey's is similarly not a big deal. If anything, the bigger problem is that they make it seem like using Typhon powers will be a bigger deal than it ends up being. It feels like more of a signposted story trap (its not) than getting your chip upgraded in DXHR (it is).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I won't let a game force me into using tech

*refuses to use pip-boy interface, alt-f4s out of Fallout 1*

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

I won't let a game force me into using tech

*refuses to use pip-boy interface, alt-f4s out of Fallout 1*

definitely the correct way to play Fallout 4

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Jack2142 posted:

WRT to not playing a cybered up murder hobo in Cyberpunk... I think that makes perfect sense instead of being weird. The rejection of the societal norm can make for compelling gameplay and a challenge. Deus Ex: HR for instance trying to manipulate people without the pheromones/face scan tech is a lot more satisfying if you pull it off.

Yeah, it's clearly apparent that it's just a gameplay choice and CDPR is great at making RPGs, so there's no real need to pay any attention to the argumentative autistic goon faction on this. Or anything really.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

Will I be able to play V as the titular character from Thomas Pynchon's V (for Vendetta in its comic book adaptation) or one of the Visitors from V (the made for TV adaptation of Alan Moore's V for Vendetta)?
Seems like this V should be possible:

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

All I want from this game is this line of dialogue:

Corporate executive: "Meet my personal assistant, Pamela, she will be your handler on this mission. Don't worry, we installed special subdermal RAM to be able to handle the immense dataflows you'll be siphoning from the target terminal.

We call it Pam PA-RAM."

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Glenn Quebec posted:

You're the dumbest poster I've seen in games.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

JBP posted:

You're the dumbest poster I've seen in games.

Let's not get personal, friend.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
Both the devs and people who watched the demo have really emphasized the "verticality" of the setting, and combined with the fact that the map will be completely seamless with no loading screens, it makes me wonder how an in-game map would even work.

You'd need a 3-dimensional map in order to represent the vertical plane, and also very detailed interior maps to navigate the insides of some pretty massive buildings.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

The core concept of cyberpunk is the ubiquity of cybernetic modifications. It's not a super power, it's as normal as using electricity is to us.

I imagine you'll have to wait for the Amish mod to play with no cybernetics.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chalks posted:

The core concept of cyberpunk is the ubiquity of cybernetic modifications. It's not a super power, it's as normal as using electricity is to us.

I would say it's less like electricity and a lot more like social media in today's society. or maybe smartphones. Common, "normal" even to a huge number of people, but also widely criticized and viewed with suspicion even by the people who use them constantly.

In most cyberpunk universes, modifications are certainly popular in certain segments of society but generally not so normalized as electricity, it's still a subject of social tension and debate. Just like right now, most people in modern societies constantly use smartphones and social media etc. but simultaneously many complain about the damage (real or imagined) they are doing to society, and a few people do stay away from them.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 5, 2018

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Earwicker posted:

I would say it's less like electricity and a lot more like social media in today's society. or maybe smartphones. Common, "normal" even to a huge number of people, but also widely criticized and viewed with suspicion even by the people who use them constantly.

In most cyberpunk universes, modifications are certainly popular in certain segments of society but generally not so normalized as electricity, it's still a subject of social tension and debate. Just like right now, most people in modern societies constantly use smartphones and social media etc. but simultaneously many complain about the damage (real or imagined) they are doing to society, and a few people do stay away from them.

It's probably somewhere between the two I guess. Social media is certainly something people can do without and often not really notice (I barely use it personally) and smart phones, while extremely useful, are also somewhat of a luxury.

Cybernetic modifications will be, on the other hand, literally essential to some people who would otherwise be disabled in some way or other. If your eyesight is terrible and you replace your eyes, it's difficult to criticise it in the same way as you would someone who uses social media too much.

Although I agree that the analogy with electricity isn't great either because it would probably be impossible to avoid using that in our world, but I imagine a healthy person could choose to completely avoid using cybernetics if they decided to.

One thing I will point out is something I read in an interview with Mike Pondsmith where he criticised games like Deus Ex for not being truly cyberpunk:

quote:

But Blade Runner’s cyberpunk isn’t Pondsmith’s Cyberpunk. He likes Blade Runner though, which is more than can be said for a lot of the sci-fi movies we end up discussing. He likes internal consistency, particularly when it comes to tech and the ideas behind that tech, and it’s something he thinks writers often sacrifice for a thematic punch, or to move a plot. When it comes to games, he’s critical of Deus Ex, though not so much because of any specific aspect, but rather, I think, because it’s worryingly close to the game Cyberpunk might have become in the wrong hands.

“I like a lot of the things that are going on there but the main characters are special because of the technology so it’s very far from street-level cyberpunk. The tech shouldn’t make you a hero, it should just be a part of ordinary life.”

Although cyberpunk as a genre may portray cybernetics as a more controversial and optional part of life, it seems that the world of 2077 will be on the other side of the spectrum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chalks posted:

Social media is certainly something people can do without and often not really notice (I barely use it personally) and smart phones, while extremely useful, are also somewhat of a luxury.

On a social level, I disagree. Social media impacts business and politics in huge ways that can affect you even if you choose not to use those devices or services yourself. Political campaigns and elections are increasingly decided on social media, and the way popular entertainment like movies and music and books are created and marketed (especially those coming from major studios and publishing houses) are also increasingly affected by social media. It's no longer something you can just ignore unless you are a complete shut-in (and not the internet kind).

quote:

Cybernetic modifications will be, on the other hand, literally essential to some people who would otherwise be disabled in some way or other. If your eyesight is terrible and you replace your eyes, it's difficult to criticise it in the same way as you would someone who uses social media too much.

There are quite a lot of people who are unable to leave their home due to various disabilities and are able to have very active social lives, form meaningful relationships, and belong to communities due to the internet, which in previous eras they would be far less likely to have been able to do.

There are also a lot of people who are, for example, queer and from a very conservative family, and are able to reach out and find support and community online in ways that were much more difficult or borderline impossible in the past.

And there are also many cases of social media being used for dissident political expression or to coordinate protests against repressive governments.

Because of these kinds of uses, many organizations and people around the world are increasingly starting to consider the idea of internet access or even social media use as a basic human right. I think it's definitely past the point of being considered an easily ignorable luxury, but it's also still very controversial. Because just as it can be helpful in the ways mentioned above it also spreads misinformation, increases advertising, affects elections, etc.