Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
So, how exactly did General Ross' mustache disappear when he transformed into Red Hulk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Hair stayed the same length* head got bigger?

Pay no attention to any other hair for this theory.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Say Nothing posted:

So, how exactly did General Ross' mustache disappear when he transformed into Red Hulk?

Red Hulk's command voice ordered his mustache to police itself or he'd do it with his bare hands.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Hulk isn't a hero, he's a metaphor for man's inability to find happiness within or without human society.

I ran this down with my kids the other day:

What colors do artists use on the hulk? Purple and green
Who else is purple and green? All villains from Doom to Green Goblin
Are any heros purple and green? No they are blue and red.
Why is the Hulk purple and green then? TIH was not a Superhero comic because Marvel didn't write those. It was a horror comic. He wasn't a hero until they needed him to sell the Avengers.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

In his defense, the giant robots he ripped the guns away from DID fail to heed his request for reasoned debate, and then ruined his bunny slippers.

sticksy posted:

This is pretty funny if you imagine this in Hulk’s voice/speaking style

He was in one of his "smart Hulk" phases (and Terminator 2 was a big deal at the time).

Jedit posted:

He doesn't really need it. Hulk gets pissed off when he finds something he can't lift or smash, so he tends to escalate.

Indeed! Straight to butts and killing.

Though the butt thing was foreshadowed earlier in the issue...

Infinitum posted:

Whatever happened to Strongguy? The mutant who the more he used his powers the stronger he got, but the dumber he got?

Let's hop to the final page of the issue and see!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't know if Strong Guy has been written as particularly dumb in a long time. He was very, uh, curt in his handful of Claremont appearances, but PAD always wrote him as kind of a witty, sort of proto-Chandler Bing "90's Guy" in X-Factor, who wasn't exactly a super-scientist but an element of his character in that run was definitely that he rankled under being taken for a big dumb galoot.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jonny Nox posted:

Why is the Hulk purple and green then? TIH was not a Superhero comic because Marvel didn't write those. It was a horror comic. He wasn't a hero until they needed him to sell the Avengers.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
That's the issue where Impossible Man's son watches anime.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Push El Burrito posted:

That's the issue where Impossible Man's son watches anime.

Shoujo anime.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Say Nothing posted:

I never tire of talking about Jeph Loeb's explanation for this. It was on an old episode of the Word Balloon podcast and he laid it out like this.

1. Okay, so when Ross turns into the Red Hulk, his mustache disappears but reappears when he reverts back to human form.
2. We've never seen Bruce Banner with a mustache.
3. When Ben Grimm turns into the Thing, the hair on the top of his head disappears but reappears when he reverts back to human form.
4. So if you've got a problem with Red Hulk, take it up with Stan and Jack.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Red Hulk II gets to keep his mustache. So who knows.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

We've totally seen Hulk and Banner with a beard, though. And bald.

I mean that's the least of that story's problems, I can allow for a magic disappearing mustache that obfuscates the identity of Red Hulk. But that explanation doesn't hold water.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Edge & Christian posted:

I never tire of talking about Jeph Loeb's explanation for this. It was on an old episode of the Word Balloon podcast and he laid it out like this.

1. Okay, so when Ross turns into the Red Hulk, his mustache disappears but reappears when he reverts back to human form.
2. We've never seen Bruce Banner with a mustache.
3. When Ben Grimm turns into the Thing, the hair on the top of his head disappears but reappears when he reverts back to human form.
4. So if you've got a problem with Red Hulk, take it up with Stan and Jack.

:psyduck:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Say Nothing posted:

Hulk is a state of mind. General Ross has had that mustache so long he'd forgotten he has it, so Red Hulk didn't know about it until someone (probably Deadpool during his Thunderbolts stint) asked Rulk where his mustache went (off-camera).

The mustache appears now because it took a bit of time to for that cognitive dissonance to percolate. Hulks don't always pass thoughts on to their normal selves quickly.

I mean, the real answer is "they wanted to obfuscate who the Red Hulk was when they introduced him." My assumption is the mustache was always there, it just wasn't drawn.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

Yeah, they really needed the character that nobody liked from the series canceled a year before hand to sell Avengers comics for two issues.

Hulk was very definitely going full hero by the end of his series, though they were leaning into the misunderstood guy aspect of things.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Green is a pretty popular colour for heroes too.

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Strong Guy didn't get dumber (though admittedly, he was never very bright, having debuted as Lila Cheney's bodyguard), but he had a heart condition, so if he kept absorbing kinetic energy (which is what charged his powers) eventually his heart would explode.

The Beast was written like that for a few years in X-Factor. He got hit by Pestilence during the Fall of the Mutants - part of Apocalypse’s curse was that his strength increased, but every time he used it he became dumber. At one point he was pretty much the dopey sidekick that drooled all over himself until he got turned blue and furry and was healed by Infectia.

It was a pretty neat concept - his strength kept multiplying as he used it, but at the cost of his mind. I can’t remember that ever being done again

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Random Stranger posted:

Yeah, they really needed the character that nobody liked from the series canceled a year before hand to sell Avengers comics for two issues.

Hulk was very definitely going full hero by the end of his series, though they were leaning into the misunderstood guy aspect of things.

The Hulk was a mess from the start. You saw that Stan really wanted to do the Jekyll and Hyde thing but had no idea how to execute it. His status quo literally changed every single issue of the original run of his series. He was gray, then green, then he could fly, he was controlled by Rick, he had Banner’s brain but Hulk’s body, he changed at night and then when he was stressed, he had a teen sidekick but was also sometimes a teenager’s buddy and/or slave....

Even once his series was cancelled they had no idea what to do. He was a hero in the Avengers for 2 issues, but then became the worlds greatest menace they still wanted on the team for some reason. He rampaged through New York in FF, but was a misunderstood wandering lummox in Amazing Spider-Man. He finally had SOME consistency once he got into Tales to Astonish, but he was a clusterfuck from the word go.

And I LOVE the Hulk!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Jonny Nox posted:

I like the cut of your parenting jib. Have them reason things out for themselves (with appropriate guidance). My daughter hated the Socratic Method growing up (applied from everything from homework to consequences for bad behavior) but now credits it as the cornerstone of her analytic brain.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Green is a pretty popular colour for heroes too.
But it’s the specific combination of purple and green that works. There’s something just sinister about the combo. Maybe because it’s potentially one of the darkest combination of colors among the six primary and secondary colors? Maybe because it’s not seen much in nature (outside violets)? I think there’s something there.

Haven’t though as much about other secondary color combos (orange/green; orange/purple) and no characters spring to mind for those in a 10 second rundown.

Racking my brain, I can’t think of any heroes from either side of the fence with this color scheme. But there’s at least a few big DC names that match up: Lex Luthor in power suit, Brainiac (most of the time), the Riddler, and the Joker’s usual outfit.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

You'd probably get a kick out of this series of articles on colours and superheroes at Comics Alliance.

http://comicsalliance.com/superhero-color-theory-primary-heroes/

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Nonvalueadded User posted:

I like the cut of your parenting jib. Have them reason things out for themselves (with appropriate guidance). My daughter hated the Socratic Method growing up (applied from everything from homework to consequences for bad behavior) but now credits it as the cornerstone of her analytic brain.

Wow.

Well, that's one way to ensure your child grows up to despise you.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Jedit posted:

once destroyed half an alien battle fleet after Captain America told him that said battle fleet had called him a pouf.

Ugh, that was when I mentally checked out of Ultimates. Someone must thought they were really clever to resolve the plot that way.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

ecavalli posted:

Wow.

Well, that's one way to ensure your child grows up to despise you.
Of course, you don’t do it for everything, only when there is time available and you believe the deep understanding it grants is worth it.

As to discipline, I believe that this helped my daughter develop greater empathy by really understanding how breaking certain rules inconvenienced or hurt other people. As to learning, it obviously instills deeper understanding.

And now as she heads off to college, she and I talk pretty frankly with each other. She has her issues with me (what child doesn’t with a parent), but she’s told me that while it was painful at the time, using the Socratic Method helped her understand things, not just learn them, and that she’s glad I did that.

Of course, if I really loved her, I would have skipped all that crap and just taken her out to see old adventure movies every night and then walked down poorly-lit alleys where trigger-happy gunmen waited to mug people. But I didn’t love her that much.

e: Now watch Hulk smash thesis that knowledge is justified true belief, puny philosopher!

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 2, 2018

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

This bugs me because there are plenty of "good" characters with a purple and green color scheme, and most of the iconic "purple and green" bad guys were the product of one of two people in a narrow window of time, and many of them are either just purple or just green anyway. It's like that thing about black characters with lightning powers-- it only has explanatory power because it keeps feeding on its own tail.

After a few minutes of googling: the X-Men character Blink is more or less purple and green (sometimes more hot pink and green with purple hair, but there's colorist leeway here), and Beast Boy's look in many if not most of his more iconic versions matches his green fur with a purple and white or purple and black jumpsuit. The Wesley Dodds Sandman had a number of color variations but I'd hazard that the purple and green version is the most immediately recognizable, and the one that later depictions of him went back to the most frequently.The heroic Brainiac from the Legion of Superheroes is purple and green with a shock of blonde at the top. The Starlin version of Drax is green with a purple costume although to be fair he's deliberately supposed to evoke a kind of sinister image. The Green Lantern, Jade, had a purple and green motif for awhile, and Alan Scott's (admittedly very ugly) costume has purple and green elements. On the subject of Green Lanterns we might also include Katma Tui who, like Sinestro, has either purplish or pinkish skin depending on the colorist. The Prowler-- who, like Drax, was introduced as morally and visually ambiguous-- is purple with green accents. She-Hulk feels like a cheat because she's designed to echo, well, He-Hulk, but many variations of her pretty recognizable unitard look run with a white/purple/green color scheme. A ton of minor characters from the Milligan/Allred X-Factor/X-Statix. The hero the 90's refused to forget, Sleepwalker. Among Kirby creations we also have, of course, Triton (and if you take the original Inhumans as a cohesively designed group, further splashes of purple and green via Medusa and Karnak respectively).

I think there's plenty to be said about color and semiotics in superhero comic books but I think that conversation has to begin with interrogating facile conclusions, eg., that there are no purple and green "good guys." I think there's an interesting pattern in that many of the "good" characters I've listed are either supposed to strike a sinister or villainous note (Drax, Sandman, Prowler) or suggest a quality of inhumanity (Beast Boy, aliens like Katma Tui, Triton) but that's a different conversation.

I do think it's significant that a huge swathe of the iconic villains with this color scheme were created by Jack Kirby during his imperial phase at Marvel-- Annihilus, Molecule Man, the skrulls, Impossible Man, Kang, Diablo, the Wrecker, etc.-- and that a great deal of these (and other more monochrome purple or green characters like Galactus, the Mole Man, or Dr. Doom) were specifically created for a team of blue and orange characters, which might suggest either an idiosyncracy on Kirby's part or a situational desire to have bad-guys who contrasted in an exciting but not obnoxious way with the book's heroes. That fails to account, of course, for the relatively high amount of purple, green, or purple & green Ditko characters-- Mysterio, the Green Goblin, and the Lizard come to mind. And I do think its interesting that both artists leaned much less heavily on those specific color schemes-- blue and red/orange, and green and purple-- in their later work. We could also ask about how the material conditions of the comic book industry played a role in the story-- there's the oft-repeated and, as far as I know, true story about the Hulk going from grey to green because of poor color-seperating at the printer, and I'd guess that the highest concentration of green-skinned comic book extraterrestrials coincides with decades in which broader representations of space aliens leaned more towards "little green men" than the "greys" of the latter decades of the 20th century.

I don't think the green and purple theory as helpfully expounded by the Impossible Man's kid in the aforeposted scan is totally baseless, but I also think it's more complicated than its usually set out to be, and resistant to glib conclusions, and that those glib conclusions-- and here I'm kind of grinding an axe about "color theory" in general across all kinds of mediums-- often depend on hand-waving or ignoring counter-evidence. For example the Comics Alliance article just posted often seems to be misreading or distorting characters for the sake of proving a point about color-- bluntly stating that blue and yellow characters "lack the red boldness of those seeking or destined to be front and center" and then having to clumsily account for Booster Gold a few paragraphs down.

Edit: After poking around in regards to DC villains a little more, it feels like a lot of the "iconic" purple and green bad-guys solidify in the 70s and 80s-- Lex Luthor getting his armor and his jumpsuit, or Brainiac shifting away from his hot pink sweater. One could argue though that that's just the aftershock of Kirby and Ditko and a testimony to their enormous contributions to the visual grammar of the genre.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jul 2, 2018

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Archyduke posted:

Edit: After poking around in regards to DC villains a little more, it feels like a lot of the "iconic" purple and green bad-guys solidify in the 70s and 80s-- Lex Luthor getting his armor and his jumpsuit, or Brainiac shifting away from his hot pink sweater. One could argue though that that's just the aftershock of Kirby and Ditko and a testimony to their enormous contributions to the visual grammar of the genre.

You're talking about purple and green DC villains, and you forgot to mention the Joker?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Jedit posted:

You're talking about purple and green DC villains, and you forgot to mention the Joker?

I also forgot Golden Age Catwoman, since as far as I know green hasn't been a big part of her ensemble in decades, and even purple has mostly been swapped out for black. I also just noticed that early Two Face's scarred side showed up with both green skin/purple suit and purple skin/green suit.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wasn't purple popular back in the day because black reprod so badly on the paper/printing method?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Scaramouche posted:

Wasn't purple popular back in the day because black reprod so badly on the paper/printing method?
No, black has always been fine beyond potentially bleeding. It's gray that didn't reproduce consistently, which is why blue and purple were used to highlight black things (and eventually led to things like Psylocke's hair being canon purple even though it should be black).

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Endless Mike posted:

No, black has always been fine beyond potentially bleeding. It's gray that didn't reproduce consistently, which is why blue and purple were used to highlight black things (and eventually led to things like Psylocke's hair being canon purple even though it should be black).

I meant in large flats; the line work obviously duplicates fine but larger expanses of black tended to blob out in my experience. Mind you that's from newsprint photography where if something was too black we'd run it through a larger dot pitch line camera to spread things out a bit, but old comics were probably still better quality paper than newspaper.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Endless Mike posted:

It's also why Hulk is green!

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Nonvalueadded User posted:

Haven’t though as much about other secondary color combos (orange/green; orange/purple) and no characters spring to mind for those in a 10 second rundown.

The guy was in the Justice League, and yet everyone forgets poor Aquaman. :(

Starfire is orange and wears purple. Not sure if this counts, but Ralph Dibny wore purple and had light ginger (which comes out orange in comics) hair.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Endless Mike posted:

Psylocke's hair is purple, and has always been purple in US comics, I have no idea if she ever had purple hair in any of her UK appearances but apparently she was an heiress and fashion model in the early/mid 1980s comics so maybe she was a New Wave fashionista?

When Chris Claremont imported her into Uncanny X-Men he just sort of went "welp she's got purple hair, that's her thing". It wasn't purple highlights, it was purple like Doc Samson's hair is green.

3) When she turned into a ninja several years later her hair was dark purple, but even in the earliest appearances it was clearly "black with purple highlights" in a way distinct from people with black hair's "black with blue highlights". It's a crappy old scan of a print comic, but look at this:

It's subtle and muddy but Mandarin and his assistant's hair is blue-black (as is her outfit) while her hair is purple-black.

Within a couple of years they started using better printing techniques, and Psylocke's hair was even more purple, contrasted with other blue-black folks:

Don't get me wrong, the purple hair has (to my knowledge) never had a good explanation, particularly how it transferred from one body to the next, but it has always been deliberate.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
Forget the hair, why is she orange? It isn't a bad depiction of Asians because in the second picture the other Asians don't look like that.

Anyway, she was blonde when she first appeared. She changed it to purple as part of her modelling career, in a story actually written by Alan Moore. Later her hair just became permanently purple.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Action Jacktion posted:

Forget the hair, why is she orange? It isn't a bad depiction of Asians because in the second picture the other Asians don't look like that.

Anyway, she was blonde when she first appeared. She changed it to purple as part of her modelling career, in a story actually written by Alan Moore. Later her hair just became permanently purple.

I think it's supposed to be a tan?

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Apropos of nothing, Colossus and Jubilee (I think) posing together is extremely cute.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Like the Cable Pool floaty.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Can't wait to get into a pool after Beast has been in it.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Scaramouche posted:

I meant in large flats; the line work obviously duplicates fine but larger expanses of black tended to blob out in my experience. Mind you that's from newsprint photography where if something was too black we'd run it through a larger dot pitch line camera to spread things out a bit, but old comics were probably still better quality paper than newspaper.
I think it was usually blue used for black. When I was young I wondered why Bruce Wayne had blue hair.

Thought of another villain-turned-hero with the purple & green color scheme — Hawkeye

Archyduke posted:

the X-Men character Blink is more or less purple and green...Beast Boy's look in many if not most of his more iconic versions matches his green fur with a purple and white or purple and black jumpsuit. The Wesley Dodds Sandman had a number of color variations... Brainiac from the Legion of Superheroes...Drax...Green Lantern, Jade, had a purple and green motif for awhile, and Alan Scott's (admittedly very ugly) costume has purple and green elements. On the subject of Green Lanterns we might also include Katma Tui ...The Prowler...and so on
Excluding derived heroes (She-Hulk, Brainiac 5) and minor heroes only well-known because of recent media (Drax), pretty much everyone you mention is close to the “oh yeah, (s)he exists” level of fame. Definitely not talking about the A-list like Kang, Doom, Green Goblin, power-suit Luthor, or Brainiac.

I think your points about Kirby & Ditko creating a lot of the better-known villains, and color-coding to contrast with heroes, are much stronger arguments.

I do agree the article is pretty much blather.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Endless Mike posted:

It's also why early superheroes where rendered primarily in cyan, magenta, yellow and black or rudimentary combinations thereof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I am Wolverine's Daisy dukes.