Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Fart City posted:

How does a top rope double footstomp like the Warrior's Way or Coup De Grace work, mechanically? I can't figure out how it's taken, because there doesn't seem to be any way to like "pull" it to reduce the impact on the recipient.

DeathChicken posted:

Way I've heard it, it always hurts like hell even if the guy is pulling it (which you'd attempt by falling back on your rear end as soon as your feet touch).

It's the classic wrestling dilemma, sometimes stuff just loving hurts, but it's pro wrestling so it has to be fake, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The only way to soften it is to do it like a box jump where you engage the leg, glute, and hip muscles to try and land as softly as possible. I imagine it's pretty loving hard to time coming off the top rope. It's hard enough to time just jumping onto the box.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Fart City posted:

How does a top rope double footstomp like the Warrior's Way or Coup De Grace work, mechanically? I can't figure out how it's taken, because there doesn't seem to be any way to like "pull" it to reduce the impact on the recipient.

Go watch the finish of AJ Styles vs Finn Balor at TLC. You can hear AJ's organs liquefying.

It's kinda bizarre because like, the way Finn HAS to do the Coup de Grace, it doesn't even look that good. 1916 or Dreamcast would be a much better and safe finisher so why go with the thing that A) Looks kinda janky and B) Still hurts like hell.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Question about Almas - do Hunico and La Sombra actually have meaningful history or was that just WWE going "hey they're both hispanic, smack 'em together."

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

VJeff posted:

Question about Almas - do Hunico and La Sombra actually have meaningful history or was that just WWE going "hey they're both hispanic, smack 'em together."

I don't think they ever wrestled in Mexico.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing

Fart City posted:

You know that trick where you walk on someones foot but do it in such a way that the person barely feels anything? It's like that.
But I've heard Finn's version usually hurts like hell.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
There's a reason why only guys who use that finisher are lightweights. I think Low Ki's looks better generally, as much as I dislike giving him credit.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Tato posted:

There's a reason why only guys who use that finisher are lightweights. I think Low Ki's looks better generally, as much as I dislike giving him credit.

Fit Finlay used to do it!

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Tato posted:

That's probably because he gives significantly less of a gently caress about his opponent's' well-being than Finn does.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Germansimp posted:

That's probably because he gives significantly less of a gently caress about his opponent's' well-being than Finn does.

I can think of one person off the top of my head he's hurt with it, Jay Lethal. Maybe there was another in TNA? That's a pretty good track record with that move.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Things like that always puzzle me with wrestling. Why Choose a finisher like that.

I mean Ember Moon has been doing the eclipse for ever and it cant be good to your tailbone. If regular safe leg drop hosed Hogans hips what will her future be like?

In same token my Question is.. how in the earth anybody ever accept to take Steiners screwdriver? Scott is and was always somebody who took liberties and that rep surely spread around. One fuckup with that driver and your done for life?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Because you're taking it either way so you might as well do all you can to assure he kinda likes you

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

TheCool69 posted:

Things like that always puzzle me with wrestling. Why Choose a finisher like that.

I mean Ember Moon has been doing the eclipse for ever and it cant be good to your tailbone. If regular safe leg drop hosed Hogans hips what will her future be like?

In same token my Question is.. how in the earth anybody ever accept to take Steiners screwdriver? Scott is and was always somebody who took liberties and that rep surely spread around. One fuckup with that driver and your done for life?

It gets a pop and few other people are doing it I guess.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm surprised anyone in WWE allows that jumping stomp move. They don't let anyone but a handful of people do piledrivers but if you gently caress up that stomp, you could do almost as much damage.

In retrospect, I don't know what they were thinking with Orton's punt kick.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

They are reactive rather than proactive. Piledriver ban is cause of the the Austin Owen incident. Muscle Buster is is basically a suplex, but there it goes cause of Tyson Kid incident. Shooting star press was gone for a while because of injury. Brain busters seem to be gone along with the punt and previously the curb stomp solely due to the implication of the names and their effects as shown in kayfabe. GTS is gone now because of an injury as well. WWE waits for something to happen first most of the time.

As an addendum, I would also point out that while head injury has become something of a cause in recent years, bodily injury seems to still be being seen as a cost of playing the game. Stuff that hurts is fine, stuff that injures is more of an issue, but if it ain’t the head or the neck, it seems to be generally overlooked as part of the business.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jul 2, 2018

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If you can move your toes you're fine

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

remusclaw posted:

They are reactive rather than proactive. Piledriver ban is cause of the the Austin Owen incident.

I thought the piledriver ban finally came into effect after Triple H got a stinger from Undertaker? The irony of course being that the only person who was allowed to continue using a piledriver after that was... the Undertaker!

Although maybe it was more a straw that broke the camel's back type of thing?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I admit the inciting incident in my post was more of an assumption than anything else. I always questioned when it came into effect myself as I remember Farooq pile driving the poo poo out of the Rock during the Nation internecine dealy, and Shawn Michaels occasionally using a driver on the steel steps. I just kind of assumed it was greatly discouraged for a while before becoming a one or two guys only deal.

Taker didn't use the tombstone for a good long time as the Baddass did he? I know they gave him a goofy animation for it in the video games, but I don't remember his finishing with it for most of that run.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Wikipedia says it was banned in 2000 (with a link to a source that no longer exists). That was a year after Austin had neck surgery due to problems from Owen's piledriver. The timeline makes sense; Austin wasn't healing properly from the surgery so they banned piledrivers, 3 years after the incident.

Does Lawler still wrestle and do the piledriver? I saw him locally about four or five years ago. I've heard he was back to working not long after his on air heart attack but that was a while back too.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Lawler has always used the Piledriver as far as I can tell except where it is explicitly prohibited, so WWE where he uses his second rope fist drop and that show where he threw fire at Joey Ryans dick. He also does the old guy indy stunner that Terry Funk uses as well.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 2, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

remusclaw posted:

I admit the inciting incident in my post was more of an assumption than anything else. I always questioned when it came into effect myself as I remember Farooq pile driving the poo poo out of the Rock during the Nation internecine dealy, and Shawn Michaels occasionally using a driver on the steel steps. I just kind of assumed it was greatly discouraged for a while before becoming a one or two guys only deal.

Taker didn't use the tombstone for a good long time as the Baddass did he? I know they gave him a goofy animation for it in the video games, but I don't remember his finishing with it for most of that run.

He debuted the Last Ride powerbomb instead of the Tombstone as Bikertaker

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

remusclaw posted:

Lawler has always used the Piledriver as far as I can tell except where it is explicitly prohibited, so WWE where he uses his second rope fist drop and that show where he threw fire at Joey Ryans dick. He also dos the old guy indy stunner that Terry Funk uses as well.

The fireball was because he'd just had a stroke, apparently. The original plan was the piledriver.

And it's still lame that he never got to give Cole the piledriver, which would've been the only payoff to make the heel Cole thing worth it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
when the gently caress did wikipedia eliminate wrestling finishers from their wrestler bio pages

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Before Kevin Steen came to WWE, didn't he and Lawler have a match in some Indy to see who had the best piledriver?

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
I'm pretty sure Tommy Dreamer was doing pile drivers in his wwe run.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Thanks everybody for following up on my question. Kinda nuts that it’s pretty much just a real-deal footstomp, fingers crossed you don’t break your sternum.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There are various categories of wrestling moves, ranging from "really doesn't hurt at all" to "you'll be sore but shouldn't do any real damage" to "sure there's a chance you'll die but so must we all someday."

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I hate footstomps because they don't even look that bad, but apparently they hurt really bad when worked, which is the opposite of how wrestling moves should be.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

FunMerrania posted:

I'm pretty sure Tommy Dreamer was doing pile drivers in his wwe run.

He did as him and RVD recreated the rob jumps 10 foot into the air on impact spot.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I hate footstomps because they don't even look that bad, but apparently they hurt really bad when worked, which is the opposite of how wrestling moves should be.
yeah this is my exact feeling on the Coup de Grace, and also the announcers pronounce it wrong

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Feels Villeneuve posted:

wow really? thats consistently the fakest looking part of wrestling, i would've never guessed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

jesus WEP posted:

yeah this is my exact feeling on the Coup de Grace, and also the announcers pronounce it wrong

I think 90% of my problems with Finn matches are the dumb footstomp, honestly I'd rather him have one of those "give yourself a rock bottom" finishers over that

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Feels Villeneuve posted:

It's the Shane's Punches of foot based finishers.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

1916 is a better finisher in general, except I guess they don't like quasi-brainbusters either

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I have never heard specifically that brain busters are banned, but I have noticed that they tend to disappear from movesets when a guy enters the WWE, so it is a valid assumption I think.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Brainbusters are allowed, you just have to be too weak to hold your opponent up for a vertical suplex.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

O'Reilly and Ricochet have done a few brainbusters recently in NXT. Really just suplexes landing high on the back, but they've called them that in commentary.

DeathChicken posted:

1916 is a better finisher in general, except I guess they don't like quasi-brainbusters either

Finn also weighs 125 pounds and regularly wrestles Braun Strowman so he needs something else too.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

I can think of one person off the top of my head he's hurt with it, Jay Lethal. Maybe there was another in TNA? That's a pretty good track record with that move.

I'm fairly certain he injured one of the Special K kids with it, but my comment was more based on Low Ki being a stiff gently caress in general rather than specifically with the stomp.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

How much do wrestling rings cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I forget who it was that had a neat powerbomb finisher and they wouldn't let him do it because "Can you reliably do this to Triple H? If not you can't use it"