Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

What is Overload?

Overload is a first person shooter with 6 degrees of freedom (6DOF) created by Revival Productions.

Overload is basically a remake of the PC classic game Descent from 1995 that was made by Parallax Software and published by the fated dinosaur Interplay Productions. Many of the same developers who worked on Descent and later Descent 2 have contributed to Overload and the influence shows. Everything you loved about the original is there in essence.

What's 6DOF?

Six degrees of freedom: Forward, backward, up, down, left, and right. It's like an FPS where the whole drat thing is designed around you having a flying or no-cliping cheat code enabled.

But don't worry, the enemies and levels design are focused around those assumptions too.

It can take some getting used to.

Do I need a joystick or gamepad to play this?

Much like the original Descent the answer to this is "No". However a joystick or gamepad may offer some advantages during gameplay.

In multiplayer the most sadistic people play with keyboard/mouse and will probably kill you with their pure aura of anger and frustration about the controls. There's even a few keyboard only people running around out there that'll eat you alive.

Is this associated with the Descent universe?

Officially, as long as the lawyers are looking, not that we know of.

How about the Descent: Freespace universe?

Shut up.

How about Red Faction?

Look, if you know enough to be asking a question like this you already know the score. Overload is Descent 2018. Just shut up and enjoy it.

How about Saints Row?

Heaven is a long way off, brother.

That sure looks familiar.

Where do I try it?

Like the Ye Olde days of 1995 the guys at Revival decided to do a Shareware-esque release where you can download the play a little bit of Overload.

In Steam world this is "Overload Playable Teaser"

Direct link

Where do I buy it?

You know, places.

Steam has it available here.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yo this poo poo owns, it's the 90s again

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

I'm having a ton of fun with this game. It really does feel like a new, polished Descent game. I'm loving the level design, and hunting for secrets on each level. Also (level 4 spoilers) one of the station logs references the PTMC. Same universe as Descent confirmed!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

:aaa:

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

Highly, highly recommend this game. Now let’s pray for a spiritual successor to Freespace 2.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
This game is just brutal. I'm playing on hotshot and that forge level is just insane. Big areas just infested with robots from the very start.

I'm loving the game but have to reload every few seconds.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'll probably pick this up on sale

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is there a way to play completed levels again to look for secrets/upgrade tokens?

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

BexGu posted:

Is there a way to play completed levels again to look for secrets/upgrade tokens?

Not unless you saved right before a level.

There's NG+ though with remixed enemies and powerups.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BexGu posted:

I don't know how it carries over, but there is a level select from the main menu.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pro tip: the Cyclone and Missile Pod get a bigger boost from their first upgrades than any other weapon

I wound up just using the Thunderbolt for everything though

Terminally Bored posted:

This game is just brutal. I'm playing on hotshot and that forge level is just insane. Big areas just infested with robots from the very start.

I'm loving the game but have to reload every few seconds.

I had to restart on Rookie because Hotshot got too intense for me like four levels in :kiddo:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm about 2/3 through and I've found that as it gets harder, having guns that disrupt the enemy is invaluable and my fully upgraded Cyclone is great for that, knocking drones around every-which-way. A fully upgraded Reflex is also pretty drat useful, since you can bounce heatseaking laser bolts around corners with impunity.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Creepers are real good for corner kills too

I can't believe they made the proximity bombs good

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Fabulousity posted:

What's 6DOF?

Six degrees of freedom: Forward, backward, up, down, left, and right. It's like an FPS where the whole drat thing is designed around you having a flying or no-cliping cheat code enabled.

I'm pretty sure that that's only 3 degrees of freedom.

Forward/back is Surge, up/down is Heave, and left/right is Sway.

The others are Roll, Pitch and Yaw. Roll is tilting to the side. Pitch is looking up and down. Yaw is turning left and right.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Overload has those too, you're not stuck looking in one direction :colbert:

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Really Pants posted:

pro tip: the Cyclone and Missile Pod get a bigger boost from their first upgrades than any other weapon

Upgraded Missile Pod is pretty much macross missile massacre as you don't have to aim anymore.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Devastator's remote detonation is a pretty nice upgrade too.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

The thread title should be renamed to something referencing the original Descent games. It really feels like people are missing out on this. This game IS Descent 1/2 with updated graphics and gameplay. I would have missed it myself if a friend I used to play with back in the 90s hadn't linked me to it.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The most deadly enemy in this game is the walls.

Every time I hit a wall, I get pounded by the million enemies who were previously shooting just behind me, James Bond style.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

The level editor is out: https://steamcommunity.com/app/448850/discussions/0/1727575977522618552/

You can also get it as dlc on steam

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

So I finished the game a few days ago--it was really fun! Looking through the achievements afterwards, I noticed that they strongly suggest that there is an alternate ending. Does anyone know anything about that / how to unlock it?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Started playing through this and so far, so good, though I'm still in the pretty early levels. One little thing that raised my eyebrow is that on an early level one of the autofabs had a shield around it. I shot the shield and it said I couldn't hurt it, but then the shield dropped and I did kill it? Then you come to a reactor in another level right after that and it has two shielded autofabs that couldn't be destroyed no matter what. Did I do something with that first autofab to make the shield drop or are some just invincible?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Most shields have a generator nearby that you have to blow up. Reactor defense fabs are indestructible, though, just so you can't turn your back on them.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Really Pants posted:

Most shields have a generator nearby that you have to blow up. Reactor defense fabs are indestructible, though, just so you can't turn your back on them.

Good to know. I figured I probably destroyed something while shooting at something else. Game continues to be real good even if I'm still absolutely poo poo at finding secrets.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

this is really great, im just hoping later on theres a gun that sounds as good as the fusion cannon from the original games

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kibayasu posted:

Good to know. I figured I probably destroyed something while shooting at something else. Game continues to be real good even if I'm still absolutely poo poo at finding secrets.

Secrets are always the same size as normal doors, and they'll have vertical or cross-shaped seams in their middle which will be obvious if you're looking closely. Lots of secrets are locked, and you'll have to blow up some big red buttons to open them. These buttons can be quite a long way away. Overload loves to have secrets inside of other secrets, too.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah I love this game, and poked around a bunch, but I'll fully admit that I doubt I discovered even half of the game's secrets, and never found a single hidden arena.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Really Pants posted:

These buttons can be quite a long way away.

Really? I caught most of the secrets on my way through the game and it seemed like the vast majority of the buttons were either in the same room or in a room which shared a wall with the secret's room (which admittedly could be much later in the level, but at least that narrows down where you should look first).

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

VikingofRock posted:

So I finished the game a few days ago--it was really fun! Looking through the achievements afterwards, I noticed that they strongly suggest that there is an alternate ending. Does anyone know anything about that / how to unlock it?

I think the ending you get is tied into what hostages you have freed?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Chip Cheezum did a stream of this a little while back if anyone browsing the forum is on the fence about the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAO62-Ir7MI

feel free to edit this into the op or whateer

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
If you play without the cockpit overlay you're a coward.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Trying to play with the cockpit overlay makes me carsick.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Overload is 25% off this weekend, and they've just released a pack of nine new levels for $5.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Really Pants posted:

Overload is 25% off this weekend, and they've just released a pack of nine new levels for $5.

Awesome, the level pack looks really cool. Thanks for the heads up!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Huh, I heard map pack and figured it must be for the multiplayer but single player maps? I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
So I'm like, the Descent guy. It was inevitable that I would eventually get around to this.

The game's okay, but I found it really uninspiring. The music was annoying to listen to and the end of the game's door triggers were loving stupid.

• Locked thread