Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

everdave posted:

It is almost over. I will probably pay a year of stupid insane alimony and she will get the ruined Prius and we will be done. Will hear in a few minutes supposedly

Good luck! I ended up losing $10k to my wife (whose parents were worth $17M+) with my first marriage... best $10k I've ever spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

everdave posted:

It is almost over. I will probably pay a year of stupid insane alimony and she will get the ruined Prius and we will be done. Will hear in a few minutes supposedly

Wait, tell us about the Prius.

(Seriously, seems like a good deal. Custody?)

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Paint's hosed, someone gave it a full-body rubdown with a brillo pad.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

someone gave it a full-body rubdown with a brillo pad.

The car or the wife?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

Good luck! I ended up losing $10k to my wife (whose parents were worth $17M+) with my first marriage... best $10k I've ever spent.

drat it mine cost lots more than that! It is over with now. Will cost be about $10k more over the next year then no more payments. She refuses to work.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Seems like a good deal.

A decent hitman in your area would want $20k plus expenses.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I think with lawyer and adding up alimony (including tip next August) will have cost me
$20k and the Prius

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So I got a free tv that my sister was throwing out, serendipity!

...except it seems to be having issues. It'll be fine for a few minutes, then these bars of discoloration show up before it goes into static. Kinda looks like old analog static, but distributed in horizontal bars, the sound still plays perfectly, and the screen fades to black during commercial breaks/scene transitions.

Does this sound like a capacitor issue or something more involved?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Ask me about my dad paying $35k+ a year in alimony for the past 20 years while my mom doesn't have a job and complains about how she doesn't have enough money. Oh, and she got the house too.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Conversely, let me tell you about my sister getting the legal minimum in child support from a man driving a 2014 Ford Dually pickup with his fishing boat in tow who reports 0 income, despite giving up his visitation days to go to work

The money that courts require to be paid in situations like these seems to be largely arbitrary

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Yes there are abuses on both ends but let’s even say I only had to a a few more months alimony and after a year she refuses to get a job? She came in there asking for $40k!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
The Mrs. found my next gym tanktop.

https://iedm.com/products/dino-shat-tank-top

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Rhyno posted:

Everybody plz keep all yo fingats this week.

Funny story, my boss' husband took three off over the weekend. They put them back on, but it was dicey.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That's also true, but a completely separate topic not related to the Ford guy furiously masturbating as he emails his social media manager.

Nah, gently caress Musk. He wanted to hang with the big boys, and trusted on his technocratic libertarian self to beat out the knowlessmen and revolutionize auto manufacturing. He deserves mockery at every turn for his complete and abject failure to even meet the most conservative of production estimates, and especially so from companies who he sneered at for not being on his level.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 3, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
What car is this, some kinda Ford?

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

That is beautiful

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

E46 or E39 BMW.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

kimbo305 posted:

The seats say Shelby Charger to me for some reason.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Jesus Christ you guys are making me so extremely glad I read the writing on the wall and broke up with my ex instead of giving into her demands of a wedding+pregnancy in 18months.

Seminal Flu posted:

When people I wasn't very close with asked me why we broke up, I would shrug and say "well, now for free or later with lawyers, and her parents can afford better ones than I can!"... they were, by my best guesstimates, worth ~$100m ish. Super nice people but goddamn I only ever heard rumors about their legal team.

kimbo305 posted:

A/C direction buttons are identical to my E46 BMW, but the rest of it looks like a slightly earlier model.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Bed chat? Best $500 or less mattress? Any luck with these mattress startups? Lost the bed too lol she doesn’t even have room for it. I like a firm mattress love the Hyatt beds if anyone has been.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
If there's an ikea near you, I think you can get a bed for that price.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I got a Tuft and Needle and love it.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

kimbo305 posted:

e39 m5

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Yep, def E39. I loved the dash layout of mine.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Closest ikea is 6 hours away. Is there inherently anything wrong with like a $400 Sealy or whatever ?

everdave fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 3, 2018

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
I’m assuming you need it sooner than later, but check Costco. There are also a ton of Internet based memory foam mattress companies that drop ship (purple mattress, there was another one that sponsored smarter every day briefly early this year...). Cheap, but not immediate.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
NonCostco in my town but we have sams. I need to research the drop ship companies. Thanks for input y’all

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i bought one of the better rated twin size foam mattresses on amazon for my 3 y/o daughter and i've slept on it a few times and its pretty good for the money

wife and i have an insanely expensive 'latex foam mattress' that's about 11-12 years old (like 2k new, lol) and i never sleep well on it any more despite it having a 'lifetime warranty' so i think we are going to try tuft and needle when we move to a new house and upgrade to cali king :getin:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Yes. YES

Except the gym part :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

i bought one of the better rated twin size foam mattresses on amazon for my 3 y/o daughter and i've slept on it a few times and its pretty good for the money

wife and i have an insanely expensive 'latex foam mattress' that's about 11-12 years old (like 2k new, lol) and i never sleep well on it any more despite it having a 'lifetime warranty' so i think we are going to try tuft and needle when we move to a new house and upgrade to cali king :getin:

We had a tempurpedic and got rid of it for a regular mattress for a few reasons, absolutely no support for your back if you are a stomach sleeper, and they are loving heat sinks. The new mattress isn't as soft and squishy, but i don't wake up in pain or a pool of sweat anymore.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I sleep on my back like I was dead in a coffin I’d love any advice on what to get I can’t spend much

spog
Aug 7, 2004

everdave posted:

I sleep on my back like I was dead in a coffin I’d love any advice on what to get I can’t spend much

A firm memory foam mattress is really good bang for your buck. Add a topper/protector if you have a hot room (to help keep cool)
I got mine from Ikea, but there are companies that will deliver it to you - Leesa, etc

I am curious why you suddenly need one: did the ex get yours in the divorce? Or did you take it outside and ceremonially burn it?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Cripes... mom called trying to get me to troubleshoot their internet. None of their wireless poo poo is working.

Use teamviewer to connect to her desktop. Factory reset the modem/router combo.. several times. Her Fire TV stick isn't seeing the SSIDs..... neither is the one in the next room.

After an hour and a half of remoting into her PC and loving with the modem/router settings, I finally ask "what lights are lit up on the modem?". Surprise, both wireless lights are off. Call Spectrum on their behalf... "uh, we show that you called us 2 days ago and had us place the modem in bridge mode and turn off wireless". Call stepdad... "you make any changes recently?" oh only asked them to reduce the bill as much as possible. :fuckoff:

..... Talked to a poor Spectrum tech for half an hour. He couldn't get the modem to take a config to turn wifi or routing back on no matter how hard he tried. The signal levels are also seriously jacked (noticed that myself, they went from a good SnR and -2 to 0 dB downstream to a crap SnR and +10-15 dB down, so somebody's changed a tap somewhere), so a truck has to come out. Apparently the account still has my old modem on it too, on the billing side, along with cable TV and landline (which they haven't had in nearly 2 years), but zeroed out somehow by recurring credits?! Tech threw his hands up, said we absolutely need to talk to billing to unravel the clusterfuck, but that he'd at least get a tech out to fix the line issues and get working wireless in the house again. Something's very likely permafucked with the modem's MAC address in their system. OTOH, it seems Spectrum has recently moved back to the "separate modem + router" stuff (at least, GF just got separate units from them... but then they didn't bother actually hooking up the physical line, so we wound up hotspotting my phone at the blazing 256k speeds I get while hotspotting to her TV... lemme tell you how amazing Netflix looks on a 4k smart TV with those speeds).

So loving glad I ran network cable through parents whole house when I lived there, so the worst that's happening now is the PCs are getting in a slapfight over the one single IP. Mom's PC is most important, so I've had stepdad to just unplug the network switch in the bedroom from the wall for now (only ran 1 outlet in there, 4 devices at the moment..)

Captain Crabsticks posted:

no, the p.o. hit an aminal on the highway and it destroyed everything in the front end that wasn't metal. head gaskets are still good (somehow) but the midblock/upper oil pan/girdle is starting to seep oil. I'm probably going to drop the engine/trans/subframe next month and take care of that, and replace the timing chains (it's at 130k). otherwise it runs great no check engine lights or weird overheating etc. 06-up northstars had a redesigned head bolt+block threads so they don't normally blow head gaskets unless seriously overheated, but they didn't redo the girdle bolts so that's why mine leaks oil. i actively enjoy pain-in-the-rear end projects, and have tools time and enough knowlege to get me out of trouble so i'm not really worried. even if the engine seizes tomorrow i can get a good one for 500$ and have it driving by wednesday and still be under market value for the car.

MGS was asking about hail damage because it has a landau roof treatment. Those are commonly slapped on to hide hail damage, with an added bonus of making it look "nicer" to a couple of different customer bases - therefore, win/win for the dealership. They get to unload something with unrepaired roof hail damage, and someone thinks it looks good. You often find a ton of hail damage hiding under those, and years down the road, you definitely find a lot of rust hiding.

One of those target customer bases is the typical crowd that a domestic luxury car targets (60+). The other is generally the group that generally slaps swangas on that cost more than the car.

:toxx: if you don't buy it and post a selfie.

everdave posted:

Closest ikea is 6 hours away. Is there inherently anything wrong with like a $400 Sealy or whatever ?

The Sealy "Firm" I have is hard as a goddamned rock, and I won't miss it one bit when I move. I sleep on my ratty 11 year old couch more than the bed.

I like a firm bed. This is more akin to planking.

Hit up estate sales - the guest bedroom beds will often be pretty much brand new with very little chance of someone dying in it. But, uh, a decent chance of being what I wound up with (.... guess where I got mine).

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

kimbo305 posted:

Climate buttons are very BMW, thinking E39

everdave posted:

Bed chat? Best $500 or less mattress? Any luck with these mattress startups? Lost the bed too lol she doesn’t even have room for it. I like a firm mattress love the Hyatt beds if anyone has been.
We got one of those foam mattresses and it's way better than I expected. King size frame and mattress came in just over $500 I think. Not sure what it was, wife bought it, but I think it was just the top rated one on Amazon.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

e: nevermind

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 3, 2018

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

STR posted:

Feeling more than a bit violated, but I also know drat well not to argue with someone when the commies are hanging out in the fun house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w9eoZtnJSA

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

If you enjoy such clothing items may I suggest taking a look at prettysnake.com ? I went on a hen holiday with friends because I am apparently one of the girls. I celebrated this event by buying a pair of these speedos

https://prettysnake.com/collections/mens/products/kitty-swim-brief *link contains dudes in speedos strangely enough*

A large German shotputter type lady approached me while I was sunbathing and said "I like your svimtrunks. Zey are ver cute!" it was mildly terrifying. For anyone not wanting to click the link they're pink, have flowers all over them as well as strategically placed kittens and far better than you imagine them to be.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 3, 2018

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

STR posted:

:toxx: if you don't buy it and post a selfie.

It's already been bought, darlin.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

everdave posted:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Costco. Worth joining just for buying a mattress. We bought one online and after something like 7 or 8 years I noticed the pillow top was sagging a bit. Contacted online expecting a bit of a brush off or maybe at best pro-rated warranty and they told me to bring it to the store if possible for a 100% refund. No questions asked. I did and they did. I'll never buy a mattress anywhere else. Worst case if you buy a mattress and it sucks it's a pain in the rear end to return, but you're not out anything.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

Cripes... mom called trying to get me to troubleshoot their internet. None of their wireless poo poo is working.

Use teamviewer to connect to her desktop. Factory reset the modem/router combo.. several times. Her Fire TV stick isn't seeing the SSIDs..... neither is the one in the next room.

After an hour and a half of remoting into her PC and loving with the modem/router settings, I finally ask "what lights are lit up on the modem?". Surprise, both wireless lights are off. Call Spectrum on their behalf... "uh, we show that you called us 2 days ago and had us place the modem in bridge mode and turn off wireless". Call stepdad... "you make any changes recently?" oh only asked them to reduce the bill as much as possible. :fuckoff:

..... Talked to a poor Spectrum tech for half an hour. He couldn't get the modem to take a config to turn wifi or routing back on no matter how hard he tried. The signal levels are also seriously jacked (noticed that myself, they went from a good SnR and -2 to 0 dB downstream to a crap SnR and +10-15 dB down, so somebody's changed a tap somewhere), so a truck has to come out. Apparently the account still has my old modem on it too, on the billing side, along with cable TV and landline (which they haven't had in nearly 2 years), but zeroed out somehow by recurring credits?! Tech threw his hands up, said we absolutely need to talk to billing to unravel the clusterfuck, but that he'd at least get a tech out to fix the line issues and get working wireless in the house again. Something's very likely permafucked with the modem's MAC address in their system. OTOH, it seems Spectrum has recently moved back to the "separate modem + router" stuff (at least, GF just got separate units from them... but then they didn't bother actually hooking up the physical line, so we wound up hotspotting my phone at the blazing 256k speeds I get while hotspotting to her TV... lemme tell you how amazing Netflix looks on a 4k smart TV with those speeds).

So loving glad I ran network cable through parents whole house when I lived there, so the worst that's happening now is the PCs are getting in a slapfight over the one single IP. Mom's PC is most important, so I've had stepdad to just unplug the network switch in the bedroom from the wall for now (only ran 1 outlet in there, 4 devices at the moment..)

Can confirm that if you specify "no wireless" on Spectrum that they disable routing along with that. Was an unpleasant revelation when I called tech support because I discovered that only one PC could connect to the internet. I didn't want to pay for their WiFi because I have a Ubiquiti AP. Fortunately, I had a Netgear router that I bought cheap a while back to just use as an AP before I got the Ubiquiti. I just factory reset that and stuck it in, and it's all good. Still annoyed that they don't mention that before the fact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

When I used to have spectrum/time warner I just bought my own modem/router as they charge something like $9-10 a month for it so after a year or so it pays for itself.

• Locked thread