Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

I never even bothered to look his idea up because it was so ridiculous sounding, but it worked as full scale power plant? That's incredible!

Visiting in google maps is awesome too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5384662,-90.8241103,1015a,35y,97.07h,11.05t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The scar where the first attempt dumped its load is amazing, it stripped everything down to the bedrock and it's still completely clean 10+ years later. Some geologist got a giant boner from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The Door Frame posted:

I never even bothered to look his idea up because it was so ridiculous sounding, but it worked as full scale power plant? That's incredible!

TVA has been operating the Raccoon Mountain Pumped Storage Plant since 1978. It's not even a new idea.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

builds character posted:

wait, wait wait...
what if
are you ready?
what if the rails and the train cars are stationary and we just move the mountain instead?

Cojawfee posted:

The train car would take off.

Thank you. I was worried no one would get the reference.

xzzy posted:

Visiting in google maps is awesome too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.5384662,-90.8241103,1015a,35y,97.07h,11.05t/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The scar where the first attempt dumped its load is amazing, it stripped everything down to the bedrock and it's still completely clean 10+ years later. Some geologist got a giant boner from that.

Dang, that is impressive.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

The Door Frame posted:

My favorite version of this is the UK TV Pickup. It's interesting.

EDIT: Apparently this is not as much of a problem thanks to Netflix and iPlayer

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

TVA has been operating the Raccoon Mountain Pumped Storage Plant since 1978. It's not even a new idea.

i first interpreted this as a pumped-storage plant using a mountain of raccoons as the working fluid and i am choosing to believe in that reality.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

They're trying to build one in tasmania. Lots of wind and water there, so use wind powered turbines when the weather is good to fill a dam. Run the hydro when the wind dies.
There's losses of course, but they say the thing will pay for itself after building a new undersea cable to victoria and then selling power when there's high demand/price over there.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
There are a few interesting energy storage ideas and some of them have been put into practice.
There's running compressors to fill underground caverns with pressurized air that you can let back out and get energy back.
There are also flywheels that can store a lot of energy for quite a while.

Ultimately it will come down to better and cheaper battery systems. Renewables are great but the generation peaks don't coincide with the demand peaks and neither can be moved.

TotalLossBrain fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 23, 2018

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Enourmo posted:

Of note, all those mining vehicles use external power to run. What's the largest fully self-contained vehicle, you ask?

Hail to the king, baby.

I think the crawler was lighter than the mining machines empty, but the thing on top of it was six and a half million pounds fully fueled, IIRC.

To Wikipedia!

Wiki posted:

Mass 6,540,000 lb (2,970,000 kg)
Capacity
Payload to LEO (90 nmi (170 km), 30° inclination) 310,000 lb (140,000 kg)
Payload to TLI 107,100 lb (48,600 kg)

53 tons to the fuckin' MOON, 155 tons to just falling at Earth and missing.

On topic: Look up Apollo 1 :nms: and 13.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Chillbro Baggins posted:

I think the crawler was lighter than the mining machines empty, but the thing on top of it was six and a half million pounds fully fueled, IIRC.

Yeah it's lighter, but it's powered by onboard engines unlike the others, which are run off grid power.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
And Saturn V wasn't fueled until it was at the pad.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

From my buddy who runs the internal parts counter at a Mopar shop: was a Dodge 6.4L Hemi. They got a new longblock but the shipper dropped it unloading it from the truck, so now one of the trained apes mechanics is tearing both apart to try to Frankenstein a running engine with no picture windows in the block out of the two. They don't know why the piston grenaded.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 23, 2018

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Enourmo posted:

Yeah it's lighter, but it's powered by onboard engines unlike the others, which are run off grid power.

It was based on the design of the underframe of one of the large stripping shovels, (possibly The Captain) but with Alco locomotive diesels for power. All the largest stripping shovels, draglines and bucket wheels run off grid power because their consumption is just so massive and they don't move long distances most of the time.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 23, 2018

otaku69
May 18, 2003

that looks like pot metal

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

shy boy from chess club posted:

Is this what it looked like? I haven't used it for anything yet but now I want to find things to apply it to.

Similar, but ditch the shovel-like end & make the other pointy end beefier

e: actually pretty close, just no shovel end and maybe longer:

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 24, 2018

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Nuevo posted:

Oh, like a spud bar.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
round these parts we use tools like that to break up ice in the back lane come spring time

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nuevo posted:

I have one of those, it's a little thicker, the flattened edge isn't as wide, and it's a hex bar instead of being round. I honestly thought it was just called a crowbar :shrug:

At any rate, it's the best loving thing for digging holes. It just fucks up everything in its path.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Some folks call it a kaiser blade

mmmhmm

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

xzzy posted:

Lego makes one that might actually be the right scale for fence posts.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Bucket-Wheel-Excavator-42055

I'm... I'm buying that. I'm buying that right now.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Data Graham posted:

Some folks call it a kaiser blade

mmmhmm

I'm... thinkin I may take some o these taters home with me.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sagebrush posted:

it's also totally plausible to make a literal Sisyphus Battery, with an electric motor on top of a mountain hauling a train car full of rocks up to the top, then letting it slide back down to recover the energy when needed

I recall some time semi-recently reading about a mine up at the top of a mountain somewhere getting a new electric dump truck that they used to haul loads down the hill which ended up generating enough extra electricity through regenerative braking going down the hill loaded compared to what it took to go back up empty that it was worth developing a system to offload the extra power rather than just doing a big resistor bank like a train.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm... I'm buying that. I'm buying that right now.

It would go so well with my Unimog.

gently caress.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

wolrah posted:

I recall some time semi-recently reading about a mine up at the top of a mountain somewhere getting a new electric dump truck that they used to haul loads down the hill which ended up generating enough extra electricity through regenerative braking going down the hill loaded compared to what it took to go back up empty that it was worth developing a system to offload the extra power rather than just doing a big resistor bank like a train.

Yep, and electric locomotives have been doing the same thing by feeding power back into the catenary for over 100 years.

There are actually quite a few mines that use catenary electric powered mining dumptrucks, much like a trolley bus.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

There's at least one company trying to make train-based energy storage commercially viable - IIRC the plan is to use smaller powered carts to haul large heavy containers between a high and a low railyard. Seems viable enough to me, though I haven't done the math.

https://www.aresnorthamerica.com/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

There are actually quite a few mines that use catenary electric powered mining dumptrucks, much like a trolley bus.
So it's a catenary in a coal mine?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

slidebite posted:

So it's a catenary in a coal mine?

:golfclap:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Geoj posted:

Fun fact: its bucket is now a tourist attraction in rural central Ohio.

You just blew my mind! I see that sign every time I drive up from NC, and always just assumed it was some hillbilly town with a dumb name.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

If you like fracture mechanics and failure analysis this is a good one.
This was a 16” shaft. Was. I didn’t break it, but I was responsible for leading the crew that got our machine back up and running (thirteen hours for those keeping score at home). Needless to say I will have our NDT team take a look at our spares...

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Letmebefrank posted:

Helsinki airport the other day. Perhaps more of a user failure to know basic physics.

I stayed at a capsule hotel in singapore that used a couple of those , setup exactly the same as cooling.
It was pretty swampy.

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

They should bandsaw that end section off and hang it up in an art gallery. Give it some pretentious name, like "An Expensive Sonance".

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
Crosspost from my attex thread, but this happened AT IDLE. Pretty good failure for a single cylinder engine. It's hard to do much more than seize them up or lose all compression.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

So like..... What the poo poo is that from?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

wesleywillis posted:

So like..... What the poo poo is that from?

quote:

That is a tension reel for a cold rolling mill. The “splines” are grooves to house and retain the expand/collapse mechanism with a rod down the middle that actuates the expand/collapse wedges.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That must have sounded amazing.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Am I correct in assuming the sandy textured section indicates a metallurgical problem?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
If I remember right, typically when you're looking at a fracture like that, areas which look darker and rougher are where a crack was propagating slowly over weeks/months/years, giving the surfaces time to discolor and rust. The clean, brighter fracture surfaces are where the remainder of the material suddenly gave up once there wasn't enough web thickness left to survive the load on the shaft. So, the rough material isn't necessarily the flaw, you have to figure out where the crack started propagating from to find that. (I am by no means any kind of metallurgist or materials scientist, so take all of the above for what it's worth.)

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
stupid dupe post

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
That's the best textbook example of fatigue failure I've ever seen. The beach marks are almost perfectly defined and lead you right to the original crack.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
Surprised we haven't seen more failures with vacation time this week. Evidently a few people cut corners on Friday to get out early

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf: