Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

How is that a law? what's the legal definition of "looking 35"?

I'm sorry, were you under the impression that Canadian law was sensible? We're a loving country where you can walk around with a greatsword and be just fine, but gods help you if you get caught with a taser or a blowgun or shuriken in your house.

As a bonus, in BC, they have to look over 40 to be able to sell them alcohol without carding.

edit: hell, you want purestrain Canadian law retardation? Our firearms law. I'm a licensed owner. I can't buy a pistol in .32 caliber, but a rifle that happens to be the exact same gun but with a stock is fine. Can't own a pistol with a barrel under 4.25 inches, but I can literally own all the loving artillery pieces I want. An AR-15 is Restricted, and can only be fired at a range, but I can buy a tank with no issues and then go fuckin' deer hunting with it (just gotta pay $90 to register an armoured vehicle for 5 years, $45 for every 5 years after that), or a semi-auto clone of the german MG34, with all the belts I want. An airgun with a muzzle velocity of over 500fps is a firearm and requires a license to buy, but literally anyone can buy a muzzle loading cannon without a license, or even an M203 grenade launcher(muzzle velocity of 250 feet per second? Not legally a gun, no license needed).

edit2: edit harder
Let's go even more purestrain retardation. Legally, if I were to go out and buy my tank, which I can, with a nonrestricted firearms license, pay the $90 to register an armoured vehicle, the only thing that would stop me with loading that sucker up with high explosive rounds and detonating some moose while out hunting with my easy as gently caress to get hunting license is.... Entirely separate, non-gun laws put in place by Ministry of the Environment, created to prevent forest fires. Because in Canada, rounds over 14mm diameter (IIRC, can't remember exact number) with explosive or incendiary are specifically 100% fine by firearms law, but are controlled by environmental law.

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

A Man and his Hog posted:

Do you guys have to wear beard nets?

Cooks did at the Army DFAC I worked at. I've never seen or heard of that before or since. Of course, the one day my bald (like, Lex Luthor bald) co-worker in the dishpit forgot his company hat, they made him wear a hair net so, yeah, they were pretty uptight about that sort of thing. We had a dress code about socks (had to be black), in the dish room, for chrissakes.

As for carding chat: when you get to be a woman my age, it makes you chuffed as hell to get carded. Hell, I'd wager that carding women in their 40s might actually snag y'all a bigger tip. I know I don't look under 21, but with laws about carding anyone looking under 30/35, well, shoot, that's still gonna puff my ego that you thought I look 10 years younger than I am.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MohawkSatan posted:

I'm sorry, were you under the impression that Canadian law was sensible? We're a loving country where you can walk around with a greatsword and be just fine, but gods help you if you get caught with a taser or a blowgun or shuriken in your house.

As a bonus, in BC, they have to look over 40 to be able to sell them alcohol without carding.

edit: hell, you want purestrain Canadian law retardation? Our firearms law. I'm a licensed owner. I can't buy a pistol in .32 caliber, but a rifle that happens to be the exact same gun but with a stock is fine. Can't own a pistol with a barrel under 4.25 inches, but I can literally own all the loving artillery pieces I want. An AR-15 is Restricted, and can only be fired at a range, but I can buy a tank with no issues and then go fuckin' deer hunting with it (just gotta pay $90 to register an armoured vehicle for 5 years, $45 for every 5 years after that), or a semi-auto clone of the german MG34, with all the belts I want. An airgun with a muzzle velocity of over 500fps is a firearm and requires a license to buy, but literally anyone can buy a muzzle loading cannon without a license, or even an M203 grenade launcher(muzzle velocity of 250 feet per second? Not legally a gun, no license needed).

Pro-tip, don't complain about nonsense gun-laws to an American within a week of a mass shooting in America (which is pretty much every week). If you want to buy a tank buy a loving tank, I'll care about tank restrictions when a school or newspaper gets blown up by a tank.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Skwirl posted:

How is that a law? what's the legal definition of "looking 35"?

http://www.assembly.ab.ca/lao/library/egovdocs/2005/algl/165714.pdf (note this is the 2005 book so it says ID if they look under 25, but it changed a couple years ago to be 35)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mezzanon posted:

http://www.assembly.ab.ca/lao/library/egovdocs/2005/algl/165714.pdf (note this is the 2005 book so it says ID if they look under 25, but it changed a couple years ago to be 35)

There's an airtight legal defense to this, show photos of Keanu Reeves at 25, 35, 45 and now, then ask the prosecution to put them in chronological order.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Him or Pharrel

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I'm in BC and worked for quite a while with Liquor Distribution, the law is not that we have to card you if you look under <age>, the law is, quite literally, that you (the customer) must have 2 valid pieces of ID, the primary piece must have your photo/birthdate/name (printed or embossed)/and signature. The secondary must have your name (printed or embossed) and signature. The primary must be a form of government ID (some grey area here with our first nations public), the second doesn't really matter - credit cards are the usual.

Now, bartenders/servers/anyone serving or selling liquor is personally liable if they are caught serving someone underage, or get caught in a sting (selling to some underage kid the liquor board/cops sent in to test the store/bar/restaurant). The fines recently went up quite a bit too, from a $500 maximum personal fine to a minimum of $3500 to a max of $10000. The 'we card anyone who looks under 35' is just a guideline that the liquor board handed out to license holders, and is a useful tool for employees to point to as company policy when they're carding, but is definitely not the law. And you better loving believe I'd rather piss off some 40 year old who left their wallet at home and just brought their debit card to pay, than get stuck with that kind of fine.

Note that this is just for BC. Different provinces have different laws, and I think Mezzanon said they were in Ontario

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 4, 2018

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

JawKnee posted:

Note that this is just for BC. Different provinces have different laws, and I think Mezzanon said they were in Ontario

ALBERTA BABY! So we only require one piece of government issue photos ID.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

MohawkSatan posted:

To be fair, our gun laws are SUPPOSED to boil down to "is it large enough that it can't be concealed/would be unwieldy to use to murder a bunch of people, and can you possibly in some way use it to hunt? Cool, you good bro", and for the most part they do with some lapses where either the laws haven't kept up with new things on the market or were missed because politicians don't know enough about foreign gun markets to be specific enough sometimes (which for sure, is a problem). Sure, you can buy a grenade launcher or a tank with no license, but the explosive rounds to use with them are generally restricted pretty well, and also it's pretty hard to sneak a grenade launcher into an auditorium. You could blow some poo poo up from the outside with your "legal" tank, but realistically you'd have more luck with a U-Haul filled with fertilizer, so what's the point.

As someone who grew up in Saskatchewan farmland surrounded by a ton of hillbilly hunters and reservation land, and has now spent the last decade living in southern Ontario, I honestly don't have much to take issue with our gun laws from either side.

(As to the poo poo that's going on south of the border, you all have my sympathy, poo poo is hosed up.)

As for carding people for alcohol: guidelines and mandates are not laws, and while some provinces are a little loving ridiculous (for quite a while it was against liquor law to have a discounted "happy hour" in Ontario, and you still can't call it by that name) (also you can't put more than 3oz of hard alcohol [or beer/wine equivalent] in front of a person at any point in time, so you're not supposed to sell a pitcher of beer to a single person, and no one sells yards of beer or proper fishbowls of anything here), most places are pretty reasonable in enforcement.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
While I'm all against gently caress the system, it is needed.

Sister restaurant served some 19 year old multiple drinks and his dumbass killed someone in a car wreck that night....

It all came to light and that place was shut down and I have no idea how we still have the main store liquor license.

In some states it can cost almost $400,000 to get a license.

So yeah, I'd card everyone who looks under 25.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

While I'm all against gently caress the system, it is needed.

Sister restaurant served some 19 year old multiple drinks and his dumbass killed someone in a car wreck that night....

It all came to light and that place was shut down and I have no idea how we still have the main store liquor license.

In some states it can cost almost $400,000 to get a license.

That's an issue of over serving, not carding. A drunk 50 year old can kill just as many people in a car crash as a 19 year old. Morally the only reason to card people is if you think you might get caught serving a minor, or if they're like 12.

But you'd know about over serving people better than the rest of us.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A 19 year old is legally drunk after a stiff beer. 21+ a little bit more.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

A 19 year old is legally drunk after a stiff beer. 21+ a little bit more.

if you're in america, sure.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I've developed a decent system for ID'ing absolutely everyone, take the beverage order, then once it's finished, just a quick "And everyone's got their ID as well? I have to ask or I get fired *light chuckle*"

If someone doesn't have ID and says "Yeah but I'm obviously over 18 though, so I should be able to get a beer!" (happens often) answer: "Unfortunately I have to ID anyone who looks under 35, I'm not saying that you're under 18, I am saying that I need government issue photo ID to be able to supply drinks"

And (my personal favorite) when one person has ID and the other person doesn't "well what if I just buy a beer for myself and my friend drinks it?" answer: "then you both get to leave and not come back"

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Naelyan posted:

To be fair, our gun laws are SUPPOSED to boil down to "is it large enough that it can't be concealed/would be unwieldy to use to murder a bunch of people, and can you possibly in some way use it to hunt? Cool, you good bro", and for the most part they do with some lapses where either the laws haven't kept up with new things on the market or were missed because politicians don't know enough about foreign gun markets to be specific enough sometimes (which for sure, is a problem). Sure, you can buy a grenade launcher or a tank with no license, but the explosive rounds to use with them are generally restricted pretty well, and also it's pretty hard to sneak a grenade launcher into an auditorium. You could blow some poo poo up from the outside with your "legal" tank, but realistically you'd have more luck with a U-Haul filled with fertilizer, so what's the point.

As someone who grew up in Saskatchewan farmland surrounded by a ton of hillbilly hunters and reservation land, and has now spent the last decade living in southern Ontario, I honestly don't have much to take issue with our gun laws from either side.

(As to the poo poo that's going on south of the border, you all have my sympathy, poo poo is hosed up.)

Oh Yeah, don't get me wrong, the basics of our laws are fine. It's the specifics that get retarded and full of traps. And the US has way more problems than just the gun laws. Enforcement and such as huge. Anyways, want to talk more about this, pop intoTFR. We've got some pretty damned knowlegable folks in there

Edit: my kitchen is currently me, the new dishwasher I'm training as I take over more of the line and prep duties, a cook on his second day who has not the barest hint of competence, and a fuckwad who is not on shift, but still in the kitchen eating all my loving stock, getting in the way, and distracting the new cook. This is gonna be a long loving day.

MohawkSatan fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 4, 2018

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

MohawkSatan posted:

and a fuckwad who is not on shift, but still in the kitchen eating all my loving stock, getting in the way

Tell management to get him the gently caress out of there. If management is for some reason ok with it, they'll probably also be ok with you threatening a stabbing, to get him the gently caress out of there. gently caress that noise.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Who the gently caress wants to be at work when they're not getting paid?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah that dude would be getting an accidental touch with a hot sautee pan from me.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Coasterphreak posted:

"Free" food is a hell of a drug.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Naelyan posted:

Tell management to get him the gently caress out of there. If management is for some reason ok with it, they'll probably also be ok with you threatening a stabbing, to get him the gently caress out of there. gently caress that noise.

Told my chef, managed to get fuckwad out of the kitchen for about two hours. Then he loving showed back up and I goddamned left because it was dead, I only had an hour left, and I wasn't dealing with that poo poo again.

Coasterphreak posted:

Immigrant worker from somewhere in the Indian Ocean, staying at the hotel, supposed to get three meals a day. Sadly, he's a) a poo poo worker b) too loving thick to understand he's not allowed in the goddamned kitchen when he's off shift, c) eats way way way more than three loving meals, and d) is an utter fuckwit in general. Our other immigrant dude, straight from Morocco, is fuckin' great after actually being shown how to do poo poo and throwing fuckwad out of the goddamned kitchen. Works hard, only needs to be shown things once, makes a killer pot of tea. As long as fuckwit isn't in the kitchen, he's good.

Field Mousepad posted:

Yeah that dude would be getting an accidental touch with a hot sautee pan from me.

Yeaaaaaah, he may have dropped a hot pan into my dishpit without saying anything as I was training the new morning dishwasher/prep guy (who of course got burned), and it may have been returned to him after I cooled only the handle off. I don't feel bad about this at all.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You should.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
loving fire someone don't burn them on purpose what the gently caress is wrong with you

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

pile of brown posted:

loving fire someone don't burn them on purpose what the gently caress is wrong with you

Exactly loving this.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Liquid Communism posted:

Exactly loving this.

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on how sociopathic you are.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
OK kids, gather around and I'll tell you how to rush the pitcher's mound. You don't jeopardize your job, you don't behave dangerously, or unprofessionally. If you really want to hurt the guy: ask him if he would like to clock out and go off the property with you. Politely, and professionally. They should already know why you are mad because you explained the problem calmly, and exhausted your remedies. Make them look unhinged, not yourself.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Lmao at the last few post.

And I think I got fired from my job yesterday. Well I was sent home.

Fourth of July never goes well. I'm using that as my excuse.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on how sociopathic you are.

Assaulting someone just gives them a reason to be a longer lasting and worse pain in your rear end.

Just fire them citing documented performance issues or policy violations, and lo, they are no longer your problem.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Document and fire. It's not that hard, and you can get rid of someone like that in a week.

Kitchens are dangerous, I already don't tolerate pranks/horseplay. If you purposely burn anyone, even the loving idiot that can't wrap his head around things that he gets told sometimes twice a day, you'd be right the gently caress out of my kitchen, because while you may not be a problem now, you will be eventually.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I guess she wasn't down.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Sorry kids, but if you're handing me hot pans on a regular basis without saying a word in the middle of a rush, after being told to repeatedly, I've got no problem handing them back. If words ain't something that'll teach you, maybe experiencing why we expect you to at least say 'hot pan' when you ditch something will.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
psychos itt

the industry is a toxic mess of idiots and losers

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gently caress uber eats

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

iospace posted:

gently caress uber eats

One of my coworkers drives for them in his downtime.

He's an IT professional who makes well into six digits at his day job. :psyduck:

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

did i already share my...i think was doordash? adventure? one of those like ubereats but not ubereats.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Trebuchet King posted:

did i already share my...i think was doordash? adventure? one of those like ubereats but not ubereats.

Don't think so, do share.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

How do you not know if you're fired or not? Are you just planning on going in to your next shift like nothing happened?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

iospace posted:

Don't think so, do share.

okay, so years ago we put our menu on tripadvisor, as you do. we're historic and in the nation's capital, so why not.
some time later, tripadvisor decides to outsource their menu management to a service called singleplatform. updating the menu then requires reaching out to this third party we've never dealt with, but the changes aren't that big so we elect just not to worry about the hassle.
even more time later, we start getting carryout order calls for a couple items we'd discontinued a while back, and the folks placing the order start makin a real big stink. "well, i'm sorry, we update the menu periodically." at this point, i should clarify, we'd forgotten all about singleplatform, and just figured outdated togo menus were still stuck on a few fridges around town.
eventually, one of the order placers lets slip "but we already took their money!" and that's when some lights start to go on--i forget what exactly our bartender said, but it was something in the vein of "that sounds like your problem, not ours."
turns out that doordash or whoever it was had gotten that outdated menu from singleplatform and decided they were going to include us in their service, so we followed up with a shitload of phonecalls to tell them it's p lovely to make people opt out instead of opt in, and about a week later we were taken off the food delivery app.

(tangent note: they didn't even use our branding, they just threw together our name in some awful font, which REALLY ticked me off)

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Thumposaurus posted:

How do you not know if you're fired or not? Are you just planning on going in to your next shift like nothing happened?

Yeah. I was wondering the same thing. Lol.

I did just that. Showed up like business was usual and didn't hear a thing about it all day...

I'm thinking 3 things here, one it was July 4th, two I didn't put up any stink and just said OK and left, and three one of the drivers showed up later and was giving Jell-O shots to THE OTHER working drivers.

I should have just called up there and told them I was stuck on the beach or some poo poo.

Looking like I dodged a bullet with this one.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
So what were you doing that was worse than showing up hours late, drinking on the job, and driving drunk on company liability insurance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

MohawkSatan posted:

Sorry kids, but if you're handing me hot pans on a regular basis without saying a word in the middle of a rush, after being told to repeatedly, I've got no problem handing them back. If words ain't something that'll teach you, maybe experiencing why we expect you to at least say 'hot pan' when you ditch something will.

Sorry kid, but you're a sack of poo poo.

First of all if it's not ok for him to drop a hot pan in a metal sink, why the gently caress would it be ok for you to hand it to a person? Obviously your pain trick DOESNT loving WORK or you wouldn't be handing people hot pans after you've gotten burned by one.

Second of all you're allegedly a supervisor in a work environment, and your authority over anyone who works for you stops right at their employment with your company and definitely doesn't extend to you burning their flesh or other bullshit corporal punishment, no matter how much of an immigrant they are. Who the gently caress do you think you are and why do you think you have authority over other people's bodies?

Third of all if you can't tell a hot pan in a wet sink is hot, AND you don't spray into your sink to check on loads of cooking pans fresh from the hotline, AND you don't use side towels to move potentially hot things, you're the one who deserves a burn for being a dumbfuck who doesn't know how to work in a dishpit.

Kid.