Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Oh that sounds like fun. Might have to try that when I'm "done" with my current save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

More updates on Dad-torio:

He's restarted a few times, including once where he was jumped by the aliens and had no idea that there was combat, let alone how to fight. He's getting a hang of it, though he still kind of hunts and pecks at WASD to move and is still making his bases very small/fed by burner drills. Again, giving him minimal instruction, only what he asks for.

He needed me to understand how to place pipes, he thought that the underground pipe was a pipe joint and was getting frustrated until I showed him to just place normal pipe segments. Since then he's figured out how to make plastics and sulfuric acid on his own. He had his first "waiiiiit" moment in terms of video game logic with sulfur from oil: he's from Oklahoma which is oil country and he was frustrated by the fact that the game makes sulfur from petroleum. In real life you don't turn the hydrocarbons into sulfur: you extract it from the crude. At which point I had to remind him that the belts were driven by perpetual motion devices and that electronics were made out of metal wire on metal plates.

He's also made a car and is teaching himself how to "drive". He's also not about to turn off the aliens, now that he understands that they're there and how to fight he properly sees them as an engineering problem (he will leave them on peaceful of course, he's still learning). He's also having to explore alternate sources of power on his own since his coal is running out.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

I'd suggest sharing the Story of Dad-torio with the devs. They'll get a kick out of it I'm sure.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sydin posted:

Yeah that's the tutorial I was referring to. I'll give it a whirl, thanks. I found a patch of 6M iron ore and have grand designs for it that involves a sea of electric furnaces, and I'm not sure I want to waste the time and resources that would be required to defend the massive plot of land I'd need for the requisite solar farm.

Nuclear power is an always on affair, correct? What's the general logic network method used to make sure reactors aren't being fueled when power demand is being covered already?

The setup on the wiki works great:

https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Circuit_network_cookbook#Optimal_usage_of_fuel_for_nuclear_power

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah I was able to get Nuclear up and running. I also built out a ton of solar so I've got plenty of steam tanks batteries just sitting next to turbines ready to go in case demand spikes. In the meantime I'm slowly watching my U-235 tick up closer to 40 so I can get enrichment going and never have to worry about it again.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I've been processing my uranium for a while and haven't set up nuclear or kovrax yet. Sitting on 260 U-235 when I do start that process! Which will be soon... I want to spam some nukes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
How do people normally set up artillery? The shells don't stack and while the mulch anything they hit their impact radius isn't as big as I expected. Do you just stick them in areas where you don't want expansion and have bots deliver shells?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I only do train artillery because each car can store 100 shells, it's by far the most compact storage method.

As for the manufacturing part while the train is out shooting stuff, it depends on my base layout. If I was stupid and built refining a long ways away from the depot I let the belt be my shell storage. Otherwise I'll set up an array of chests that equal the capacity of the train.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The automated defense approach is you cover every bit of polution area with artillery coverage. That can be a bit spread out before you get a couple levels of range bonus so the efficient logistics way is to build a train network that an artillery train rolls about and has bunker stops with turrets that it rolls into and leaves once it's idle.

I'm a bad factorio player so I just had like 5 or 6 static artilleries spread across my base either bot fed in base or hand fed at mining outposts and then I hand targetted biter bases taking advantage of the extra range.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The downside to that approach is you won't get much biter action. Which I guess a lot of people like, but I enjoy them flinging their bodies against my wall of turrets regularly. So my artillery is usually in the far off distance clearing a path to a new resource patch.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah I'm mainly using artillery to clear a path towards expansion areas. I like my walls to do some work.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

xzzy posted:

The downside to that approach is you won't get much biter action. Which I guess a lot of people like, but I enjoy them flinging their bodies against my wall of turrets regularly. So my artillery is usually in the far off distance clearing a path to a new resource patch.

Same, but it's annoying at times when they attack, like, your pipes or a power line or something. I like to just set up a humongous wall of turrets with an inserter inserting ammo fed on a conveyor belt that surrounds my entire base. Then I just have a couple assemblers constantly pumping ammunition onto that conveyor belt from a little secret iron mine. After a bit, the ammunition will collect on the conveyor belt and you have a self-sustaining wall.

Binkenstein
Jan 18, 2010

I only do that before I'm able to mass produce laser turrets.

As for artillery, I concur on the artillery wagons only approach. It's even better if you use Nuclear Artillery (via a mod) which clears out entire biter bases in one shot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I ended up just sticking a few around in strategic locations and always carrying shells in all my cars/tanks in case I need to use them. They're definitely more useful for clearing out soon to be expansion areas vs pure defense.

Speaking of defense I got uranium ammo up and it's a bloodbath. Biters just die. It's a bit more of a pain than laser turrets since I have to handle reloading logistics, but the sheer damage they do is worth it. :getin:

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

IMO defense artillery is more to stop biters from expanding right outside your turret range which it does quite well. And thats a respectable boost to defense, especially for the post rocket gameplay once you are putting out absurd amounts of pollution.

Sydin posted:

Speaking of defense I got uranium ammo up and it's a bloodbath. Biters just die. It's a bit more of a pain than laser turrets since I have to handle reloading logistics, but the sheer damage they do is worth it. :getin:

Red ammo already out performed laser turrets dps wise. Uranium ammo is monstrous. I really think there should be something for laser turrets to make them more competitive late game since the cost of even uranium ammo is too little to matter once you have your production established. Just a higher damage turret would be pretty lame but I bet they could come up with something.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Lasers still have their uses in the postgame - no amount of upgrades are going to get you beyond needing to feed gun turrets with ammo in some fashion, and unless you're stuffing your mining outposts with Speed3s and surrounding them with beacons, a compact line of lasers can hold most outposts. You could still set up a supply train and all that but unless you're playing with huge patches that just gets tedious. Of course the other option is to just have artillery train outposts spaced every so often and keep the area clear.

Of course if we're looking for ways to distinguish lasers from bullets, we need to look at something other than pure DPS, because otherwise they just become two ways to accomplish the same thing that don't really end up differing all that much in the postgame. Maybe if lasers had a slowing effect, or range upgrades, they could be brought in line.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Laser turrets are competitive because you can use them in places that have power without dealing with ammo logistics, like outposts and anti-expansion pillboxes

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
None of the biters are resistant to lasers or fire. That's a big advantage. The base damage of a piercing bullet is 8. Big biters have a base resistance of 8 while behemoths have 12. Piercing bullets don't actually pierce that they just have a higher base. A bit of research makes them deal ok damage to big ones but they never do much to behemoths. Even so they reduce physical damage by 10% so they only do higher deeps to smaller types of biters. The littlest ones and spitters have no resistance. Spitters get some explosive reduction but that's it.

Absolutely nothing has any resistance at all to lasers. Of course uranium bullets look at those physical numbers and go "lol, that's cute."

Worms as they get big get some heavy duty resistance to everything that isn't a laser. So lasers look like their damage isn't great until you see that nothing reduces it in any way. Even uranium bullets don't do full damage to big stuff. Of course in that case you'll probably also have a lot of bullet research so they just tear through everything anyway.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lasers are competitive because all they need to function is a wall outlet, it makes them trivial to spam assuming you have a grid that can support them. Gun turrets are competitive because they have no minimum range significantly higher dps than lasers. Flame turrets are competitive because they have the best range and dps.

So I'd say for the most part everything is pretty well balanced, each one has a good reason to consider them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The best is really a mix though lasers got a gently caress ton better when nuclear power hit. They also have a longer range than bullets but no minimum. Only fire has a minimum. They also have a limited arc unlike the others.

Powering a lot of lasers was pretty tough with nothing but coal and solar.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
At least with solar the laser shots were free. With nuclear lasers are shooting the same thing uranium ammo turrets are.

The end game combat is in a really weird place where everything is kind of an appendix unless it's something you really personally enjoy the feels of. There's almost no differentiation worth talking about between the methods, it's all total dominance over the biter and the only things that change is how you ferry materiel. Which aren't that big of changes either.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Flame turrets are the hardest to use but most metal :black101: so it balances out.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

LtSmash posted:

IMO defense artillery is more to stop biters from expanding right outside your turret range which it does quite well. And thats a respectable boost to defense, especially for the post rocket gameplay once you are putting out absurd amounts of pollution.

Red ammo already out performed laser turrets dps wise. Uranium ammo is monstrous. I really think there should be something for laser turrets to make them more competitive late game since the cost of even uranium ammo is too little to matter once you have your production established. Just a higher damage turret would be pretty lame but I bet they could come up with something.

Laser's have longer range. End game my first line will be gun turrets and then behind them I'll use lasers so they don't get outranged.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

zedprime posted:

At least with solar the laser shots were free. With nuclear lasers are shooting the same thing uranium ammo turrets are.

The end game combat is in a really weird place where everything is kind of an appendix unless it's something you really personally enjoy the feels of. There's almost no differentiation worth talking about between the methods, it's all total dominance over the biter and the only things that change is how you ferry materiel. Which aren't that big of changes either.

It took an unreasonable amount of panels and batteries to power any real number of laser turrets. Nuclear power also doesn't really eat that much uranium. The real issue is getting the thing built in the first place. Unless you turn uranium generation way down getting huge piles of it isn't all that hard.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

LLSix posted:

Laser's have longer range. End game my first line will be gun turrets and then behind them I'll use lasers so they don't get outranged.

Isn't the problem projectile travel time? Gun turrets are instant but lasers take time.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

crazysim posted:

Isn't the problem projectile travel time? Gun turrets are instant but lasers take time.
Laser shots take less time than it takes for the biter to travel 2 tiles, which is about how much they outrange gun turrets.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

crazysim posted:

Gun turrets are instant but lasers take time.

Never thought much about it but this is kind of hilariously "wrong".

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

ionn posted:

Laser bolts not beams! Its like star wars!

At least they're consistent, the personal laser defense is also bolts.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

ionn posted:

The other "opposite of reality" in Factorio is the iron and copper ore colors. They are reversed.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

ionn posted:

This will be changed in next major update!
https://us2.factorio.com/assets/img/blog/fff-228-action-shot.mp4
https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-228

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
Obligatory mod mention :
Laser beam turrets
Realistic ore colouring

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Best news ever.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Heck yeah. I miss the beam turrets mod since I've been playing vanilla.

Put this on a server unannounced for some fun.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:getin:

Dancer
May 23, 2011
So, I just reinstalled this game and executed the last two hours I needed for Lazy Bastard (lol thematic)

I wanna play angelbob's now. Yes, I know it's ludicrous and goes way deeper than it needs to, but I want a challenge. A question: the settings screen shows all these extra ores that can be enabled or disabled, and I am slightly confused. Does enabling each one change a shitload of recipes so the ores are actually used, in such a way that the game can be played with any collection of ores enabled? Because that seems impossible to design.

And secondly, for those of you who have played this before, would you recommend enabling them or not?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dancer posted:

So, I just reinstalled this game and executed the last two hours I needed for Lazy Bastard (lol thematic)

I wanna play angelbob's now. Yes, I know it's ludicrous and goes way deeper than it needs to, but I want a challenge. A question: the settings screen shows all these extra ores that can be enabled or disabled, and I am slightly confused. Does enabling each one change a shitload of recipes so the ores are actually used, in such a way that the game can be played with any collection of ores enabled? Because that seems impossible to design.

And secondly, for those of you who have played this before, would you recommend enabling them or not?

Bobs on it's own would be plenty for you I think. Angels adds a lot more on top which you could look at trying if Bobs on its own didn't phase you too much. Leave the Bobs settings as default except switch on the logisic revamp - inserter/belts etc. It's off by default due to moaners but should be on and will be in the next version.

If you say "but I want a challenge", try anonymods. Not many people look at it but it's very well done.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Dancer posted:

Both bobs and angels are modular and work mostly as you would hope if you leave out one of the mods or turn something off. Bobs intermediaries will automatically make the ore they need spawn without you having to mess with settings. But if you have angel's ores those will override it since the point of angel's ores is that you don't get usable ore from mining and have to process the new ones to get iron or copper ore. If you have bobs stuff installed processing angel's ores will be able to yield all of the new bobs materials.

Besides both angels and bobs stuff adding a lot more stuff you need to keep track of I feel there are only a couple of big hurdles. First is figuring out what angel wants you to do with processing ore for raw materials. Its complicated and brutally inefficient until you get some infrastructure laid out. Bobs electronics makes chips way more complicated and need wood which is a minor bother if you use bobs greenhouses or a nightmare if you use angels bio. And angels petrochem is basically pipe hell.

If you want even more complication check out science cost tweaker. It adds a bunch of intermediaries balances the angel/bob materials for science packs.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So I've been playing for a while now, and I'm ready to dip my toes into some mods... But I'm finding that there's a few extremely popular mods with tons of downloads that have absolutely no description, no pictures and no documentation that I can find at all.

I mean just look at this, Bob's Vehicle Equipment. Apparently it adds vehicle equipment of some kind? (???) Like? Is it good? Who even knows? This is an incredibly popular mod btw.

I've made some small mods for other games like space engineers and starbound, and a couple turd-mods for stellaris. Every time I upload one I'm sure to add copious details about what it does, why it does it, etc. So when I look at this, I'm just kinda flabbergasted. There's not even any youtube mod spotlights or wikis or anything. WTF is with the modding community here? Clearly there's something I'm missing?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The big factorio mods these days are basically "mega-mods" with a whole bunch of modular components.

The individual bits don't need detailed descriptions so much, because you're not supposed to use them on their own - they only make sense as an optional part of the overall package.

If you click the "homepage" link it takes you to the section of the factorio forums dedicated to that specific mega-mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Yeah I checked that forum out. It's a whole lot of banter. The stickied posts seem to be change logs.

Still no documentation. Found these posts though: https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=52456

The guy is just TERRIBLE at documenting anything. Seems to be because he's afraid he'll need to change the description every time he makes a change. Which is ridiculous. I mean, he doesn't even start. He's just like "Bob's warfare - Adds war related stuff." and fucks off. Not even a picture. It's such poo poo. Does he really not have the time to show a little?