Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
It'd be fine if it did more than kill 1 crew member per shot while every other nations tanks 1 shot you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014
Firefly is one of those things that's great when top tier, and suffering when uptiered.
I like it, but I wouldn't recommend it. Just play the free one.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Rules for buying premium vehicles:

1) Does it have a ridiculous gun for the BR?
2) Does it have ridiculous armour for the BR?

If either answer is yes, buy.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Rules for buying premium vehicles:

1) Does it have a ridiculous gun for the BR?
2) Does it have ridiculous armour for the BR?

If either answer is yes, buy.

Given the number of IS-6s I see rolling around at $40 a pop then yeah I think that's the key.

To gaijins $$$

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My main point is that while some premium planes are fun, lots are much of a muchness or just don't offer something that you can't just get to as a regular vehicle.

On the other hand there are quite a few premium vehicles that are crazy fun because they either do something extremely different or push the speed>armour>firepower triangle alllll the way out in one direction (ie. the T-35, SU-100Y, Super Hellcat).

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It'd be fine if it did more than kill 1 crew member per shot while every other nations tanks 1 shot you.

Have you played it since the solid shot buff? It's really good right now, the 17 lbder owns bones. I still wouldn't buy the premium though.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

Solumin posted:

Have you played it since the solid shot buff? It's really good right now, the 17 lbder owns bones. I still wouldn't buy the premium though.

Last time I played was March 2017 it looks like so I guess not! How good is buffed? Cause it's still a sherman paper hull with a round that has no HE filler.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Solid AP generates a solid amount of fragmentation so it’s pretty good so long as you hit accurately in terms of what’s behind the shot cone. APDS currently suffers because it doesn’t, so solid AP is the best choice of ammo behind having a full APHE shell like M82 or APFSDS. HEATFS is slightly above APDS but both will often have you firing 2+ times per target.

I don’t really understand why APCR and APDS feel so anemic damage wise but it’ll probably cycle around again with one of the next big patches.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Last time I played was March 2017 it looks like so I guess not! How good is buffed? Cause it's still a sherman paper hull with a round that has no HE filler.

It'll gently caress people up with center-mass shots real good, old friend.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

bacon flaps posted:

It'll gently caress people up with center-mass shots real good, old friend.

Yup. The post pen damage is excellent now for solid AP, APC and APCBC shells -- gaijin buffed them because that's what France uses, and British tanks benefited too. You might not one-shot like APHE can, but you'll rarely need more than two shots.

As Mazz said, APDS is in a bad spot right now. Post pen damage for solid shot is based on how much stronger the shot is compared to the armor it's hitting. The higher the pen, the more damage you'll do. I can't remember the exact numbers off the top of my head, but it used to be something like if the shot has 100 mm more pen than the thickness of the armor, it'll do max damage. So APDS with 285 mm of pen will do max damage against 185 mm of armor.

Patch 1.77 doubled the amount of overpen need to do max damage, so now 285 mm of pen will only do max damage against 85 mm of armor. (Again, these are not necessarily real numbers.) On top of that, they halved the mass of every APDS round in the game, making them even weaker. They did this because they gave APDS better performance against sloped armor and apparently that made it unbalanced I guess. So basically high tier British tanks have terrible ammo and are pretty painful to drive.

I might be wrong on the details but basically 4.7 is the last fun British BR.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Solumin posted:

I might be wrong on the details but basically 4.7 is the last fun British BR.

Except for the fact that the AP solid shot on the 20pdr is still amazing and wrecks everything, why care about APDS?

As for the Sherman Firefly, I'd probably recommend the A.C IV as doing basically the same thing but better. The Firefly isn't a bad vehicle, the mobility is decent, the gun is still pretty great, but it's not an amazing vehicle by any means.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Because the 7.0 tanks only have HESH and APDS, and I don't think the recent HESH buff really helped.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, HESH is pretty unreliable, and the drop and slowness of the shell is painful at a time when everyone else is firing one-shot laserbeams. As I've mentioned before through, lobbing one over cover onto someones roof is always beautiful.

Fighting Maus (and even Tiger2s honestly) is painful though, because HESH can't pen them well and the needle shot can't damage them unless you make both a good and lucky shot on their ammo.

EDIT:

NickBlasta posted:

I find HESH really easy to use. Every tank at that level has a huge shot trap, no roof armor, and ammo stored next to the driver, so shoot the bottom of the mantlet. You don't have to rely on a bounce since it explodes right there, and since it's glorified HE it will blow up everything in the crew compartment from the spalling off the roof.

fuckin noted

Nickiepoo fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 4, 2018

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Solumin posted:

Because the 7.0 tanks only have HESH and APDS, and I don't think the recent HESH buff really helped.

I find HESH really easy to use. Every tank at that level has a huge shot trap, no roof armor, and ammo stored next to the driver, so shoot the bottom of the mantlet. You don't have to rely on a bounce since it explodes right there, and since it's glorified HE it will blow up everything in the crew compartment from the spalling off the roof.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
I'll have to give it a try then. The Vickers is my favorite British tank, but it's hard to use with APDS. The Chieftain's APDS is pretty good too.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Firefly is loving great. Just not the tank Firefly.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Solumin posted:

That still leaves you good up to 6.7 at least.

HESH does seem a bit unreliable, and the low velocity can be pretty painful (Yesterday I had to do some... I dunno 2.6km snipes on kursk in my Leo1 and the scale didn't even go close to that far with the hesh but watching the rounds come down almost vertically on them was beautiful once I finally got it lined up)

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Right, but you can't use the 6.7 Brits to research the top-tier tanks. (Well, obviously you can, it's just painfully slow.) Hence I want to use the 7.0s!

But instead I'm just playing France.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Okay I just HESH'ed a Panther so hard that it blew up the tank next to it too so you know, swings and roundabouts.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

When did they give the A-36 gunpods.

Also the A-36 still owns.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So how do you get to a bomber? They start so high it takes almost the entire match to even get to one. Is it some specific plane type?

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Depends a bit on battle rating and what planes you have - some combinations are practically impossible to catch before they drop their bombs. USA probably has the hardest time because they didn't really design with the intention of intercepting bombers, wasn't a big issue for them.

Any way in order to get to the bombers in time you will want to find an aircraft with a good climb rate (or a decent climb rate and an air start). Agility isn't a big issue when going after bombers so prioritise speed and firepower where available.

Once you've got your plane, you want to start climbing towards your bases, and once you're above them, turn in towards the enemy bomber spawn and continue to climb. It's pretty standard for bombers to fly directly at a bomb point so this will get you in their way. Some maps there are better paths but you just got to pay attention and learn these type things.

Also, you should remember to find out what the optimal climb speed of your aircraft is and stick to it. It should probably be between 240km/h and 290km/h for just about every prop plane. You can find these on the flight model datasheet pages on the war thunder forum. In general though, lighter, more agile planes tend to climb better at slower speeds, whereas heavier, less agile aircraft do better with some extra speed. If you can't be arsed looking it up, ~270km/h will get you decent results for most planes.

Shanakin fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 5, 2018

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Another option is to cheat and fly an interceptor like the early P-38s or Mosquitos. They have an air spawn, meaning they spawn mid-flight (like arcade) instead of from the air field. You still need to climb pretty far, but it makes quite the difference.

I've started playing with my 6.0 French tanks, so I have the AD-4 on my bar. What rockets should I be using? HVAR, T10 140 or T10 151? It looks like 140s are basically HE while 151s are HEAT, so I'm leaning towards 140s.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Focke Wulfs with air starts are pretty much designed as bomber killers. If you enjoy them, the A-8 and F-8 are really good for chomping on b-17s.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

Solumin posted:

I've started playing with my 6.0 French tanks, so I have the AD-4 on my bar. What rockets should I be using? HVAR, T10 140 or T10 151? It looks like 140s are basically HE while 151s are HEAT, so I'm leaning towards 140s.

The HEAT rockets works much better if you can get direct hits, the HE ones are decent too, and give a little more leeway but you still need to be practically on them anyway. The HEAT lets you deal with much heavier vehicles than you can get away with on HE alone.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
The Sherman Firefly isnt bad, though the add on armor fucks up the only reason to get it, the special scheme.

Personally I prefer the Super Sherman and FL10 Sherman from the French tree.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
I just started playing the regular french m4a4 sa50 in sim this morning and i'm liking it a lot even against panthers and tiger2s. I'd probably get the fl10 sherman if it was on sale.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

I'm hoping for a French sale for Bastille day... which is the 14th of July.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
I hate myself and reapplied to LAME as Goonzilla

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
found a folder full of old tank clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRBekjzPzPg

:rip:

also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KygByW8qojM

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
The RBT-5 nerf was a goddamn travesty of anti-fun.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Nickiepoo posted:

Okay I just HESH'ed a Panther so hard that it blew up the tank next to it too so you know, swings and roundabouts.

I love it when that happens, my favourite ever kill was blowing up a kt and getting the aa next to it with an m46 heat (before it got the good one)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Alchenar posted:

My main point is that while some premium planes are fun, lots are much of a muchness or just don't offer something that you can't just get to as a regular vehicle.

And then there's the premium planes that were great fun once upon a time but a bunch of forums babies whined until they got nerfed/uptired into irrelevance (Bommerangs :australia: ).

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
The tb-3 is still amazing if you don't get upranked because all these puny rifle bullets can't do poo poo against your huge and powerful body.

underage at the vape shop posted:

I love it when that happens, my favourite ever kill was blowing up a kt and getting the aa next to it with an m46 heat (before it got the good one)

I wish that replays would show the 'damage camera' because I really want to see what the 'secondary death' people saw as they suddenly went up in a ball of flame.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i bought the naval cbt and its really fun but boy, its cool that it has the same problem as tank rb/air ab where you get one safe spawn and then your spawncamped for the rest of the match

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014
Don't die :shrug:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Coming back to this game and man did they massively improve the UI since I last played. Also has anyone had any problems with extremely laggy mouse pointers in the menu? It keeps happening to me where it works fine then after a few uses it gets really bad and only a full re-install fixes it.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 7, 2018

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Started playing this, put in about 2 hours in tanks... is seems like its taking an awfully long time to get any progress, even on the baby tanks. At least its fun, but geez!

Playing the americans and the germans, so far so good I guess. I'm not sure there's any important strategy to be known at the moment, as it seems I can pen everyone mostly, though its slightly annoying to shoot a dude 5 times and see him slowly turn his gun and oneshot you back... but I guess I should probably get around him or let somebody else with a bigger gun finish them off, then?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The p-40n is a superb little plane at 2.7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

Started playing this, put in about 2 hours in tanks... is seems like its taking an awfully long time to get any progress, even on the baby tanks. At least its fun, but geez!

Playing the americans and the germans, so far so good I guess. I'm not sure there's any important strategy to be known at the moment, as it seems I can pen everyone mostly, though its slightly annoying to shoot a dude 5 times and see him slowly turn his gun and oneshot you back... but I guess I should probably get around him or let somebody else with a bigger gun finish them off, then?

If you see his turret turning towards you, it means his gunner is alive again and you should shoot him in the turret. You could also try to take out the barrel or the breech so he can't fire at all.