Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
but is his tattoo from jeepers creepers the real thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
He's also the voice of the oldest son on F is for Family, which is a pretty good show.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Didn’t the popular response to Apple go against what they wanted for the ads? The PC guy seemed kind of boring but normal, and everyone wanted the Mac to go die in a fire.

ISTR Mac sales rose a little bit during that period, though that may have had as much to do with Vista's troubled launch as anything else.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Maxwell Lord posted:

ISTR Mac sales rose a little bit during that period, though that may have had as much to do with Vista's troubled launch as anything else.

I got a macbook in 2006 because the alternative was Vista. It took a lot of explaining to my mom why this $999 laptop was worth the money. I even had her go to one of her friends that was in IT at the time and the first thing he said to her was "Get the Mac, Vista is a dumpster fire."

Decade and change later and she's a Mac user. Mac's are perfect for old people.

Edit: My brother is still using that 2006 macbook. It won't update but he can still :filez: and watch youtube.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My mum went in a weird direction - she switched to Linux. She sometimes asked me how to do poo poo. I have no idea how linux works, it's totally bizarre as I'm used to windows.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Bruceski posted:

"You won't find that trail on a map, despite it being paved and maintained in the same style as all the other coastal overlooks around here. Cartographers don't leave here alive."

I mean the dude's blind, so how would he know anyway?:haw:

I'm sure it's been discussed, but those "Don't let anyone tell you what you do! gently caress society's expectations, and also drink Diet Coke to show what a rebel you are!" ads are insufferable. It's especially annoying that Gillian Jacobs, who is otherwise perfect in all regards IMO, is in one of them.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Also how can you hate John Hodgeman. He's the best.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Maxwell Lord posted:

Given how much those ads were on, I think they would have wanted more than a “little” rise. The budget for that poo poo was insane.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Parachute posted:

but is his tattoo from jeepers creepers the real thing?

I've not seen JC but I can only presume you mean his very real Canadian tattoo. I like how it always ends up in his films.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I also think Justin Long is awful.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

WampaLord posted:

Also Dodgeball.

And he was great in Waiting and Accepted, but yeah just pick the dumbest movies he worked on and act like that's why people like him, sure.

Wait, there are people that think Waiting is a good movie?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

raditts posted:

I've worked in kitchens and minus the gratutious sexual hazing it rang quite cathartic yeah. It's like reading Kitchen Confidential. Anyone can enjoy the material but if you've been in similar scenarios it works on a different level.

Plus it's fun and silly and I haven't seen it in years but I don't remember it being anything more than a slightly above average enjoyable dumb comedy. I know what I'm getting when I go to see stuff like that...

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

IRQ posted:

I checked his IMDB and he does indeed appear to be in a lot of poo poo.

I would never begrudge you your love of such quality productions as Skylanders Academy and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeekquel, but the only thing on there I remember him in was Live Free or Die Hard and, well, the less said about that, the better.

Maybe he can star in Ready Player One Two after he's done with Alvin and the Chipmunks 7: Alvin Fucks a Washed Up Actor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCIo4MCO-_U

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Given how much those ads were on, I think they would have wanted more than a “little” rise. The budget for that poo poo was insane.

I mean, I don't have numbers, but they seemed to be doing well in this period. If there was a backlash to the ads it didn't seem to have much of an effect.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

also Justin Long is dating Lauren Mayberry, and for that I must hate him. even though Dr Lexus was good.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

raditts posted:

I mean, it's fine? I thought it was hilarious as a kid, thought it was less funny as I got older, and now I work at a restaurant and it's hilarious again.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I thought Waiting was funny because I could relate to a lot of the characters in that I love squeezing my nutsack through my gooch.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

SpacePig posted:

He's also the voice of the oldest son on F is for Family, which is a pretty good show.

Gaunab posted:

I also think Justin Long is awful.

I was kinda wobbly on Justin Long, but he kills it so hard in F is for Family. The show in general is pretty great if you like Bill Burr-ian humor, but he absolutely nails the part to an incredible degree and is arguably the best part.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Justin Long gets all the passes he needs for his participation in Galaxy Quest.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
"My Sea Shad Burned Down" :fuckoff:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
F is for Family has the most brutal hate-comedy this side of Veep and it rules

"This guy must've dropped from Donny Osmond's pussy"

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Majorian posted:

I'm sure it's been discussed, but those "Don't let anyone tell you what you do! gently caress society's expectations, and also drink Diet Coke to show what a rebel you are!" ads are insufferable. It's especially annoying that Gillian Jacobs, who is otherwise perfect in all regards IMO, is in one of them.

I find the proportions of those cans very off-putting.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Majorian posted:

The only thing sort of interesting about these two commercials is that Karan Soni and Gillian Jacobs pass one another when they are walking about the side walk but you only see them from the side of their own commercial.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Cyril Sneer posted:

I find the proportions of those cans very off-putting.

Holy poo poo I agree, and I don't even know why.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
The Mcdonald's world cup spot is kind of racist.

The hispanics behind the counter are teaching the whites eating about soccer. That's not the racist part, the racist part is that the hispanics are pretty much all working at the Mcdonald's and the white people (along a black guy) are wearing dress shirts and ties.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Honestly sounds like every McDonald's I've set foot in in a major metropolitan area.

Although my nearest one has an inexplicable Russian guy they usually put at the register.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Vakal posted:

Karan Soni

Thanks for the name drop. I've been trying to figure out why that guy seemed so familiar, and it ends up I've seen him in a bunch of random stuff. Never knew his name. It made the commercial all the more irritating to me.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
There’s a radio ad about free range eggs or chickens or something with one of those EXTREMELY NASALLY HIGH PITCHED little girls voices going “I think hens are the smartest animals out there!”

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

IRQ posted:

I checked his IMDB and he does indeed appear to be in a lot of poo poo.

I would never begrudge you your love of such quality productions as Skylanders Academy and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeekquel, but the only thing on there I remember him in was Live Free or Die Hard and, well, the less said about that, the better.

Him getting shot in LFoDH was rather cathartic after all of those commerical.

Maxwell Lord posted:

Mac sales benefitted from the sharp rise in the average number of computers in households and for new college students as well.

The iMac fad was a sharp but short-legged blip.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Thin Privilege posted:

“I think hens are the smartest animals out there!”

I'm pretty sure there are plants smarter than the average chicken.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Tired of the Twizzler ads with a stern face person staring at the camera and then suddenly laughing.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Rirse posted:

Tired of the Twizzler ads with a stern face person staring at the camera and then suddenly laughing.

I want to see someone with the proper editing skills replace the Twizzler with a big dick.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

On a similar note, I'm getting really sick of the Captain Morgan commercial(s) where it's someone saying "Captain? Captain. Captain." over and over.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

On a similar note, I'm getting really sick of the Captain Morgan commercial(s) where it's someone saying "Captain? Captain. Captain." over and over.

Surprised I never see that bad ad during Bar Rescue.

Also I am not very happy with Comcast these days and would love to switch if AT&T ever puts Fiber in the area (right now it DHL only) but what happened with cable to make Direct TV hate cable so much that they have to remind us every loving ad. Did their parents get murdered by a cable repairman or something?

Rirse fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 8, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Taerkar posted:

Mac sales benefitted from the sharp rise in the average number of computers in households and for new college students as well.

The iMac fad was a sharp but short-legged blip.

The iMac came about at the right time as computers and the internet were becoming a necessity.

When I started high school in 1994 (or was it 1995? :corsair:), my concept of the internet was getting onto Gopher via AOL. By the end of that year I was getting on to the internet with Netscape Navigator (although AOL was still our ISP). The school computers at the time were Mac Performas, which while mostly all in one, were a very sterile, white and industrial looking machine.

By the time I graduated in 1999, everything had changed. Computers were a necessary appliance like a refrigerator, especially if you were a student of any kind. My family had switched to PCs by that time, but the school's computers were almost all iMacs by then, and everyone was mainlining the internet through dedicated ISPs by then.

I definitely think that the iMac's now very tacky, but fun for the 90's shape helped with their popularity of the time. A stark beige obelisk of a PC was definitely a lot more intimidating than an Easter egg with a screen for families who had never had a computer. If it wasn't for the iMac, I suspect that Apple would still be mostly a bulk supplier to schools.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
IIRC, Apple had a big push into schools with the iMac so they ended up being pretty ubiquitous school computers, even if people at home were using Windows machines. I hated working on them because I knew what I needed to know from my home computer, but I at least learned to type pretty well from those classes.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Iron Crowned posted:

The iMac came about at the right time as computers and the internet were becoming a necessity.

When I started high school in 1994 (or was it 1995? :corsair:), my concept of the internet was getting onto Gopher via AOL. By the end of that year I was getting on to the internet with Netscape Navigator (although AOL was still our ISP). The school computers at the time were Mac Performas, which while mostly all in one, were a very sterile, white and industrial looking machine.

By the time I graduated in 1999, everything had changed. Computers were a necessary appliance like a refrigerator, especially if you were a student of any kind. My family had switched to PCs by that time, but the school's computers were almost all iMacs by then, and everyone was mainlining the internet through dedicated ISPs by then.

I definitely think that the iMac's now very tacky, but fun for the 90's shape helped with their popularity of the time. A stark beige obelisk of a PC was definitely a lot more intimidating than an Easter egg with a screen for families who had never had a computer. If it wasn't for the iMac, I suspect that Apple would still be mostly a bulk supplier to schools.

The iMac also was probably the start of the Smug Apple rear end in a top hat Commerical.

"There is no step three!"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Rirse posted:

Surprised I never see that bad ad during Bar Rescue.

When the show is already a 40 minute long commercial, it feels like the ad breaks are the content.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Taerkar posted:

The iMac also was probably the start of the Smug Apple rear end in a top hat Commerical.

"There is no step three!"

The voice over in those commercials is/was Jeff Goldblum. Who, at least at the time, was an avid Mac fan.

Seeing Apple rise again was pretty cool as a Mac guy back then. Wouldn't touch their stuff now, but it was cool then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

They were so powerful back then they could even hack into alien mainframes.