Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Booyah- posted:

i like all the tekken commentators, and i hate almost all the street fighter commentators

*struggling really really hard to try and figure out if there's a correlation to be found*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

In Training posted:

*struggling really really hard to try and figure out if there's a correlation to be found*

I'm wracking my brain here...

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
I like james chen because he flipped out playing tekken

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

mysterious loyall X posted:

I like james chen because he flipped out playing tekken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQQm2vLmS58

so good

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

'He ki charged'' is the best comnent

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

BlazBlue Cross Tag is an extremely fun game and I'm not sure I'm ever going to play it again because delay-based netcode is a medieval torture device.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Sarchasm posted:

BlazBlue Cross Tag is an extremely fun game and I'm not sure I'm ever going to play it again because delay-based netcode is a medieval torture device.

As long as you stick to 2+ connections, it's really not bad. I've played much worse for sure. I actually had a 0 bar connection that was just as crisp as the 4 bar I played earlier which was weird. Not really sure what was going on there tbh

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
its sick how literally every game arcsys makes/publishes just shows you the actual frame delay in game except for blazblue where instead you just have to trust the arbitrary as gently caress 0-4 number system isn't lying to you constantly

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sarchasm posted:

(literally every fighting game that isn't an unauthorized third-party hack, American jank, or Skullgirls) is an extremely fun game and I'm not sure I'm ever going to play it again because delay-based netcode is a medieval torture device.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
this is even more noticeable in EU when 95% of the remaining discord population is US east or west,, and 95% of the hardcore ingame-lobby hanging crowd is from Asia, all of which will (justifiably) avoid unplayable 0-"bar" connections. Haven't tried rollback-based stuff much but apparently it comes with its own set of issues and can be pretty divisive? maybe i should dive deeper into SG, it literally can't be worse than this

How did thems fighting herds afford decent net tech while apparently none of the huge ancient names can be arsed

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

RoadCrewWorker posted:

this is even more noticeable in EU when 95% of the remaining discord population is US east or west,, and 95% of the hardcore ingame-lobby hanging crowd is from Asia, all of which will (justifiably) avoid unplayable 0-"bar" connections. Haven't tried rollback-based stuff much but apparently it comes with its own set of issues and can be pretty divisive? maybe i should dive deeper into SG, it literally can't be worse than this

How did thems fighting herds afford decent net tech while apparently none of the huge ancient names can be arsed

its rarely a matter of affording it

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Rollback, when properly implemented, is better than delay in literally every way. Even if for some reason you absolutely hate rollbacks and can't deal with them, you have the option to increase your frame delay which basically turns it into delay based netcode anyway.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Japanese companies suffer from "this is how we've always done things" syndrome, and have a very hard time accepting new implementations of a thing.

Nate405
Oct 21, 2002

I'm still surprised Capcom made an effort to use rollback for their recent fighters, even if the implementation isn't great. People were saying around release that MvC:I's netcode fixed the problems from SF5. Was that true or was it just people who happened to get a few good connections?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
MvC:I's netcode was shockingly good.

Shame about the rest of the package, but the netcode may have been the best that Capcom has ever done (I never played HD Remix online, but I hear that was Capcom's gold standard in netcode for a while).

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Zand posted:

its rarely a matter of affording it
oh for some reason i thought ggpo was a licencing thing and not the cheapest either, unless everyone just wants to clumsily reinvent the wheel over and over

Dias posted:

Japanese companies suffer from "this is how we've always done things" syndrome, and have a very hard time accepting new implementations of a thing.
but that's probably the bigger factor, combined with "works A+ on japanese internet, not our problem"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Shiki Dan posted:

Shame about the rest of the package, but the netcode may have been the best that Capcom has ever done (I never played HD Remix online, but I hear that was Capcom's gold standard in netcode for a while).

doesn't HD Remix just use GGPO lol

e: oh okay I guess not, HD Remix had a decent implementation of rollback netcode, they consulted with the GGPO developer to improve it, and then after that they licensed GGPO for future Capcom of America releases(?)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I think Thems Fighting Herds literally borrowed the netcode from Skullgirls (which honestly should happen more often).

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
when will we get Korean StarCraft casters for fighting games

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: oh okay I guess not, HD Remix had a decent implementation of rollback netcode, they consulted with the GGPO developer to improve it, and then after that they licensed GGPO for future Capcom of America releases(?)

Yeah but the tradeoff is that you have to play a really awesome game reinterpreted to make all the characters look like they're suffering from treacher-collins or morgellons syndrome.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
MvC2 on PS3/360 also had rollback netcode, and it worked pretty OK. A hell of a lot better than mvc3 or mvci's netcode. And of course the game is no longer available for purchase.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

RoadCrewWorker posted:

"works A+ on japanese internet, not our problem"

Yeah you gotta remember, even absolute nowhere spots in japan can get like 100000000000000 mbps internet that puts expensive poo poo in the US to shame, the foulest, most worthless netcode in the world barely factors in for japan v japan.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Being on a tiny island with everyone else helps i imagine

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think Final Fight Double Impact was the first Capcom game to use officially licensed GGPO. And it seems like Iron Galaxy were the ones that actually cared about it, as there ports were the only things to feature.

I do know that for Dungeons and Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara, the international version was developed by Iron Galaxy, and the Japanese version was developed by Capcom Japan. I know the Japanese version is apparently more accurate and has bonus content, but does anyone know if GGPO was used in that version as well?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

mycot posted:

I think Thems Fighting Herds literally borrowed the netcode from Skullgirls (which honestly should happen more often).

Pretty sure it's not, it's actually more stable. Played people in New Zealand with a surprisingly good connection in that game when it's usually bad in other games. Not that SG's implementation is bad, but I guess TFH must have had some updates that makes it better somehow.

Shiki Dan posted:

Whenever I ask my friends about "Hey is mvci netcode actually that much better I heard someone say it was okay", everyone usually tells me, "Hell no, I can't even play with people in my same city to get a good connection there" when I usually get fine connections to them from other states in other games, so idk.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Ventana posted:

I guess TFH must have had some updates that makes it better somehow.
Right, that's what i had heard and i was like "man, this is a tiny kickstarter project made by 9 bronies, why is everyone else loving this up left and right"

and any actual answer to that rhetorical question is probably very boring and frustratingly banal and includes ancient code bases and awful men in suits holding boring financial graphs

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 4, 2018

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I think it’s really a matter of most Japan-based companies not seeing it as an important difference. almost all the western fighting games developed in the last several years use rollback that i know of

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

RoadCrewWorker posted:

"works A+ on japanese internet, not our problem"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Is this how the Japanese SFV pros maintain their competitive advantage

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Jmcrofts posted:

MvC2 on PS3/360 also had rollback netcode, and it worked pretty OK. A hell of a lot better than mvc3 or mvci's netcode. And of course the game is no longer available for purchase.

It felt really weird and laggy compared to the dreamcast version, but it's been forever so maybe I'm wrong

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah you gotta remember, even absolute nowhere spots in japan can get like 100000000000000 mbps internet that puts expensive poo poo in the US to shame, the foulest, most worthless netcode in the world barely factors in for japan v japan.

I can confirm this is true and that I pay almost nothing for insane internet. And that as an aside its super annoying I can't find a way to change my region in Tekken 7 (ps4) because having an English client means I show up as NA so like 80% of matches with perfect connections from Japan will refuse the match.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Honestly, when you live in a country with a smaller scene and you play a game with poo poo netcode, it's a LOT harder to get better. It's why I was always very impressed with Keoma, dude lives in a state with basically no scene at all, played a game with garbo netcode and still just ran trains on everyone with Abel.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, and it's also why in order to be good in the USA you have to live in NYC or LA.

I'm 99% sure Capcom (and the other JP companies) are doing this on purpose. It saves money, it saves time, and it makes it harder for foreigners!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Is there any way to not have I Burn come on when fighting Yang other than kill her from half health? Who thought this was a good idea? It's cool the first time. That's it. I'm so sick of hearing it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's actually beyond epic.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
it should 100% stop playing if she dies

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Chaotic Flame posted:

Is there any way to not have I Burn come on when fighting Yang other than kill her from half health? Who thought this was a good idea? It's cool the first time. That's it. I'm so sick of hearing it.

If playing the Pc version, just mod it to play Guile's theme instead.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

that poo poo always kicks in right as Jubei's theme gets going I hate it

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/soulcalibur/status/1014872387932884993

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Chaotic Flame posted:

It gets pretty loving annoying and I actually really like the song.