Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
How is Advanced Tactics Gold? The random game mode and scenario editor sound good as they are described on the game page, but can anyone comment on whether they actually end up being fun in practice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

McCoy Pauley posted:

How is Advanced Tactics Gold? The random game mode and scenario editor sound good as they are described on the game page, but can anyone comment on whether they actually end up being fun in practice?

People in this thread seem to like it and play it a lot. I own it (bought it during last summer’s steam sale) but have literally never installed it, other than to say I purchased based on the positivity about the game in this thread.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

ultimate general is fun but holy gently caress that's a lot of conferates everywhere. okay yeah its shiloh but still, kind of exhausting

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Bought Sovereignty: Crown of Kings during the sale and completed a few games as various nations. This game is such a broken loving mess. It's too bad, because I'd do bad things for a decent EU4 meets Panzer General game. Just a few observations:

-AI breaks and goes completely passive during tactical battles making every fight trivially easy.
-Completely conquering an AI nation traps your prisoners in limbo, and good luck getting them back in a peace deal before that happens because the AI places an outrageous value on them
-General UI terribleness, sometimes the various overlays get stuck or stop working, and it's tedious to dig around for useful information.
-Necromancer heroes can use the spell "Blood Ritual" to sacrifice a cheap spammable unit to take out a fortress, as well as a multitude of other glaring balance issues.
-AI can move units on the world map that are marked as "garrison", meaning they aren't supposed to be able to move at all
-AI attacks your full stacks with one or two units and immediately retreats.
-Can't see what kind of unit is on a transport
-A lot of other things I can't remember

Will somebody pretty pretty please make this kind of game and make it good? All I've ever wanted is grand strategy meets hex based combat done well. (Civ doesn't count)

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 4, 2018

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

McCoy Pauley posted:

Atg is good but it really only shines in MP. For single player any of the other decisive campaign games do a better job because ATG is older and the AI is kind of weak because of how general it has to be.

However we intermittently run games out of my discord (https://discord.gg/hbAqB6z) and they are always great.

Also I have an LP here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804704&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

And here (the most stressful MP experience in my entire life) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769579&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Let's do another ATG game, anyone?

Saros fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jul 5, 2018

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Saros posted:

Atg is good but it really only shines in MP. For single player any of the other decisive campaign games do a better job because ATG is older and the AI is kind of weak because of how general it has to be.

Thanks for this. Seems more likely that I would end up messing around in SP, so maybe I'll look elsewhere. What about something like Battle Academy 2, which it seems I randomly put on my wishlist at some point? Looking more closely at ATG and the Decisive Campaign games, I'm thinking maybe something more on the tactics end of things might hold my interest better.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Saros posted:

However we intermittently run games out of my discord (https://discord.gg/hbAqB6z) and they are always great.

Also I have an LP here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804704&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

And here (the most stressful MP experience in my entire life) https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769579&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

I want to, but both games I was in eventually lost multiple players and died.

The first one was SO compelling but right when we were fleshing out that peaces would be small territories and vassal states and protectorates then it all fell apart. We established a sweet diplomatic balance of power house-rule set that would have kept the game going through multiple turns only for it to be abandoned.

I'm down, but I would really hope people commit this time.

Also I'd want permission to film my turns, commentate, and put it on my lovely youtube channel.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Saros posted:

Dang what a balst from the past with that multiplayer goon game

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

StashAugustine posted:

ultimate general is fun but holy gently caress that's a lot of conferates everywhere. okay yeah its shiloh but still, kind of exhausting

Yeah, Shiloh is a loving chore as Union. I had a game ending loss the first time. Then I managed to eke out a win the second time but both of my corps were wrecked. The third try I focused more on keeping my units alive than killing Rebs. I ended up with a minor defeat and two corps of veterans and enough money to rebuild two and buy a third.

The confederate tutorial missions can go gently caress themselves though. Win it once at any price, then treasure that save slot.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I made it to what I think was the last mission of Ultimate General but it generated a mission that was like “defeat the confederates without taking too many casualties” where the rebels were entrenched across a river and I was like “nah”

I assume I still would have won the campaign even if I’d lost that mission, I just couldn’t be bothered to do another one. Fun battles in the middle of the campaign, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Radar posted:

I made it to what I think was the last mission of Ultimate General but it generated a mission that was like “defeat the confederates without taking too many casualties” where the rebels were entrenched across a river and I was like “nah”

I assume I still would have won the campaign even if I’d lost that mission, I just couldn’t be bothered to do another one.

I feel like that's entirely historically accurate

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was after the big “Confederates attack Washington!” mission where the rebels happily marched into the forts surrounding the capital and I had a grand old time defending them, which was substantially less accurate.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Saros posted:

Having only bought the game a few days ago, I'd totally be up for humiliating myself by being the metaphorical Poland of World War Goon.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I own ATG and somehow have put 9 hours into it according to Steam, but I have no idea how to actually not suck awfully at that game, especially in a multiplayer scenario.

Count me in. What's the pacing tend to be like on goon MP games of ATG? Turn-per-day or what?

Drone fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 5, 2018

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

i am kinda mad that they don't have chatanooga and the assault on missionary ridge

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I would love to be part of another ATG game!

I still suck, but it's glorious!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
How does the multiplayer work? Is it PBEM?

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

We've found the easiest way is to pass around the turn file in a discord channel.

Well if there is interest I will count up the players and see about turning out a reasonable-ish map.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Welp, I just read a bit of that LP from 2016 and then I checked Steam and it was <$10 so I bought it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

gradenko_2000 posted:

Two words: Cold Harbor.

Spoilers: Grant had this scenario generated for him—or pretty close—by the Real Life Engine™️. He had to beat Lee now or face a siege, which he wanted to avoid almost as much as Lee.

Double spoiler: he failed so miserably that, even though the Federals lost over 13,000 men (7,000 of them in roughly one 30 minute period) in the attempt, the Confederates did not even realize the union had made a serious assault on their fortifications.

When one really thinks about Grant’s performance one is amazed, not including Cold Harbor because it wasn’t one the instances, but I can think of no general who came closer more times to losing an entire Union Army to Confederate action.

Most likely this is because the man was impossible to panic, and never followed these instances with retreat (this works out well only when you are always in possession of the superior army), which afforded him more opportunities to almost lose an army.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 5, 2018

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

quote:

We now have Alpha 9.0 available for our (NWS) internal testing. This is the first alpha release with actual working aerial strikes and related mechanisms implemented (yes!).
The highlights of this latest Alpha are as follows:

A) Aircraft squadrons will have their aircraft automatically exchanged for newer types when these become available, but with some delay to account for transporting and integration of the new models into squadron service.

B) Changes to what occurs when a possession is taken (either via a peace treaty or via invasion):
>If a possession is taken in a peace treaty, all batteries under construction and all bases under construction will be cancelled/dismantled (i.e. destroyed).
>If a possession is taken in an invasion, all batteries and all bases under construction will be cancelled/dismantled (i.e. destroyed).

C) Some changes to surprise attacks (details coming later...)

D) Initial implementation of the following aspects of aerial combat:
> Player may set set a search pattern (out of various types)
> Player may now order strikes by his squadrons/aircraft.

We will of course be running all the above (and more, including a number of bug fixes and a number of more minor changes) through its paces with this alpha and I may be able to post a couple of screenshots later on of some of the above aspects.

Will update this post later on as warranted by testing. Thanks!

WOW

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just inject it straight into my veins. Please, I need it.

Good to see its progressing, maybe it really will be out by the end of 2018.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Grog devs take my energy

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
I'll be happy to sub in for the first person to drop from another game of ATG but I can't be trusted in the starting lineup. I am pretty sure I spent the last game playing a logistic sim. Which reminds me I need to get around to posting the final score graphs and maps one of these days.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Does anyone know re: RTW2 how much control you’ll have over land-based air? Seems like a big part of the equation but I can’t quite wrap my head around how they’d balance the presence of land-based fighters.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Probably similar to ships that aren't in your command. You know what they are but you can't give them orders and you don't know exactly where they are or what they're doing unless you can see them.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

uPen posted:

Probably similar to ships that aren't in your command. You know what they are but you can't give them orders and you don't know exactly where they are or what they're doing unless you can see them.

Yeah but how many of them are there? Can you move them around the Pacific islands to cover your bases? Do you build the squadrons yourself or is it abstracted the way land fighting is

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I was thinking about this because I’m reading a WiTP aar and went “hmm wait where do you draw the line between air war and naval war and stop simulating it”

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah but how many of them are there? Can you move them around the Pacific islands to cover your bases? Do you build the squadrons yourself or is it abstracted the way land fighting is

I'm just looking forward to procurement shenanigans between the services, up to and including stealing airframes

"Our latest batch of P-22C heavy fighters have been taken by the Army Air Command, citing tensions in Europe. You will receive replacements in 3 months"

"Our land based aviation comrades have just demonstrated their new dive bomber. Your naval air chief notes that it could easily be adapted for carrier operations
- We have no need for such aircraft, what could they hope to do against ships of the line?
- Negotiate for an additional batch of bombers with the army and manufacturer, modified to fly from carriers
- Petition the government to hand over all development and production to the Navy, as a matter of national security
- Sabotage the prototypes, and secretly convince the newspapers and public that the aircrafts funding should be used on proven concepts such as, say, battleships or cruisers..."

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Paingod556 posted:

I'm just looking forward to procurement shenanigans between the services, up to and including stealing airframes

"Our latest batch of P-22C heavy fighters have been taken by the Army Air Command, citing tensions in Europe. You will receive replacements in 3 months"

"Our land based aviation comrades have just demonstrated their new dive bomber. Your naval air chief notes that it could easily be adapted for carrier operations
- We have no need for such aircraft, what could they hope to do against ships of the line?
- Negotiate for an additional batch of bombers with the army and manufacturer, modified to fly from carriers
- Petition the government to hand over all development and production to the Navy, as a matter of national security
- Sabotage the prototypes, and secretly convince the newspapers and public that the aircrafts funding should be used on proven concepts such as, say, battleships or cruisers..."

This would be amazing :allears:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

Pretty decent HexWar bundle just went up for $1

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/dollar-command-bundle

Grabbed this for 1812 and 1775 -- had my eye on the board games anyway. What else is fun and accessible in the bundle?

e: Congo Merc is pretty :stare: and it sounds super broken

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jul 6, 2018

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Paingod556 posted:

Is the :japan: option the one where you send in the marines and gunboats to liberate the dive bomber from the Army's grasp?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I'm hyped for the Goon LP (I will inevitabily run) where the HMS Enterprise X takes to the waves with 10 year old fighters because the Dreadnaught faction has been keeping all the budget for their Battleships.

Boksi
Jan 11, 2016

Grey Hunter posted:

I'm hyped for the Goon LP (I will inevitabily run) where the HMS Enterprise X takes to the waves with 10 year old fighters because the Dreadnaught faction has been keeping all the budget for their Battleships.
Why would you invest so much money into producing navalized planes when you could put it into floatplanes that don't need specialized ships to land on and can be carried on battleships in addition to their standard loadout of big beautiful guns? Mark my words, aviation battleships are the future.

Boksi fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jul 6, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Have you ever seen one of those rubber band Gatling guns? Okay, imagine that, but with aircraft catapults.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Any recommended tutorials for not sucking at ATG?

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
So there's a Field of Glory 2 MP campaign program here:

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=477&t=85060

My buddy and I are thinking about setting one up-- anyone interested? PM me or email at evan.bale@gmail.com

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There’s so much ATG doesn’t tell you :psyduck:

I would be down for a goon game of it, but I live in Asia so I’d play my turn at a nonstandard time.

E: is there a way to automatically reinforce units or do you just do it manually with the HQ?

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 9, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Pirate Radar posted:

There’s so much ATG doesn’t tell you :psyduck:

I would be down for a goon game of it, but I live in Asia so I’d play my turn at a nonstandard time.

E: is there a way to automatically reinforce units or do you just do it manually with the HQ?

I live in Australia and played a game of Dominions 4 where all the people in the US wouldn't stop whining about me doing my turn at the "wrong" time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

algebra testes posted:

I live in Australia and played a game of Dominions 4 where all the people in the US wouldn't stop whining about me doing my turn at the "wrong" time.

I don’t have any problem if I’m not included in games because people prefer everyone to be in a similar time zone so you could conceivably knock out a few turns in an evening together, I just wouldn’t want to join and then have anyone be surprised that I’m running my turns eight hours after everyone else.

Pirate Radar fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 9, 2018