Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Avalanche posted:

So what's the deal with these $275-$300 boards that WASD sells? Do they gently caress or something?

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-87-key-doubleshot-abs-hyperfuse-origins-mechanical-keyboard.html

Or is the price increase due to the double shot keycaps being made with 'original cherry machinery from Germany'. Does that really make a difference somehow or is that mostly just to suck in keyboard super nerds?

I mean..... I kinda really want one..... I'm not sure why exactly but... it's gotta be legit right?

It's a Costar OEM, the same keyboard as Masterkeys PBT basically ($80 on Amazon). The price is due to the keycap set which is made by GMK who bought the original Cherry equipment. These sets go for around $170-220. It's absolutely not worth it unless you're crazy about having the original Cherry-profile (kinda lower than OEM profile) keycaps and want to post about it on geekhack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Avalanche posted:

So what's the deal with these $275-$300 boards that WASD sells? Do they gently caress or something?

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/mechanical-keyboard/wasd-87-key-doubleshot-abs-hyperfuse-origins-mechanical-keyboard.html

Or is the price increase due to the double shot keycaps being made with 'original cherry machinery from Germany'. Does that really make a difference somehow or is that mostly just to suck in keyboard super nerds?

I mean..... I kinda really want one..... I'm not sure why exactly but... it's gotta be legit right?

In that one, it is the keycap set that is driving the price up as they are made by GMK.

e,fb

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Terminally Bored posted:

The price is due to the keycap set which is made by GMK who bought the original Cherry equipment. These sets go for around $170-220. It's absolutely not worth it unless you're crazy about having the original Cherry-profile (kinda lower than OEM profile) keycaps and want to post about it on geekhack.

$199 to be exact. https://www.originativeco.com/products/hyperfuse-origins

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Cherry profile is absolutely worth it over OEM profile. BUT you're better off joining a GMK group buy where a full set will be around $120 USD or getting an enjoyPBT set for around $100 USD.

Keycap sets like the one above have a markup because of demand (or a retailer commissioned it and selling for profit) and the only way to get it is to get it used or commission another group buy with GMK to manufacture it.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007

Constellation I posted:

Cherry profile is absolutely worth it over OEM profile. BUT you're better off joining a GMK group buy where a full set will be around $120 USD or getting an enjoyPBT set for around $100 USD.

Keycap sets like the one above have a markup because of demand (or a retailer commissioned it and selling for profit) and the only way to get it is to get it used or commission another group buy with GMK to manufacture it.

Actually I just got in on this profile at some website called https://www.originativeco.com/

Really dig the light ivory green/white keys with this GMK set.

Expensive as gently caress, but it's a pre-order so I got till September to decide if I want to go ahead with this insanity or not.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Wow. I'll just buy the pbt clone off Ali Express for $24

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

Avalanche posted:

Actually I just got in on this profile at some website called https://www.originativeco.com/

Really dig the light ivory green/white keys with this GMK set.

Expensive as gently caress, but it's a pre-order so I got till September to decide if I want to go ahead with this insanity or not.

There's also a GMK 9009 clone available on KBDFans if you're interested in that colourway. It's by enjoyPBT so it's awesome quality.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Don Lapre posted:

Wow. I'll just buy the pbt clone off Ali Express for $24

I did this with Miami Nights and the lettering has already fallen off two keys a month later.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

pr0zac posted:

I did this with Miami Nights and the lettering has already fallen off two keys a month later.

Aww dont say that.

I have this set

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/YMD....2a634c4dkz2Hfx

coming next week. Hope the quality is decent.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
Don't bother with the super cheap keycaps with awful fonts, IMO. You'd just end up spending more money in the long run. Unless you just don't give a gently caress (but then you wouldn't be buying replacement keycaps in the first place). If you're on a budget, go for Tai Hao keycaps over the cheap clones out there.

sensy v2.0
May 12, 2001

pr0zac posted:

Which is why you should always get blank keycaps.

This is what I'm rocking right now:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone make wingding keycaps?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
You could always design your own and order it custom from WASD.

Instructions: https://support.wasdkeyboards.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009403848-Intro-to-Custom-Layouts
Order page where you would upload your vector graphics file: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keycap-set/104-key-cherry-mx-keycap-set.html

but to answer your question directly, not really. There are some very specific sets with non-alpha legends out there, but they're all limited-run group buys.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wow, I never knew how badly I wanted this until just now

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Hah ditto.

Lower case or upper case though?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Both. One of the ones with uppercase large and lowercase right next to it.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Hmm, like uppercase in the upper left of the key cap and lowercase in the upper right? Or maybe diagonally placed from each other? Or could put the regular character in the upper left and put the wingdings on the bottom two corners ...

I'm somewhat tempted to throw something together in Inkscape now

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I really like the look of the boards from WASD Keyboards, but I want to get something backlit. What other options are there?

My first board is a Corsair K70, and I've gotten so attached to typing on it that I can't stand using the Logitech gaming board that I have at work. I plan to take the K70 there and build something nice for myself at home. My budget is around $250.

edit: at a glance the K95 looks like a solid upgrade. Any reason not to go with it? I'm assuming that Corsair did their own stupid keycap size thing again.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 6, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Constellation I posted:

Don't bother with the super cheap keycaps with awful fonts, IMO. You'd just end up spending more money in the long run. Unless you just don't give a gently caress (but then you wouldn't be buying replacement keycaps in the first place). If you're on a budget, go for Tai Hao keycaps over the cheap clones out there.

Good keycaps last for ages. The PBT keycaps on my AEK were made before the Berlin Wall fell and have seen at least a decade of professional use, and they still look and feel almost new. Lettering is still sharp and with good contrast. The texture is a bit worn down on the most used ones (mostly the home row) but it still feels pretty good.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I really like the look of the boards from WASD Keyboards, but I want to get something backlit. What other options are there?

My first board is a Corsair K70, and I've gotten so attached to typing on it that I can't stand using the Logitech gaming board that I have at work. I plan to take the K70 there and build something nice for myself at home. My budget is around $250.

edit: at a glance the K95 looks like a solid upgrade. Any reason not to go with it? I'm assuming that Corsair did their own stupid keycap size thing again.

The WASD Code is backlit. I really liked mine, until it died a couple weeks out of warranty from a static shock. If you want to save a bit of money Velocifire keyboards are decent. I use one at work and my only gripe is that the stock keycaps feel really cheap. The first thing I did with mine is swap in the stock keycaps from my dead Code, the legends actually line up with the LEDs better than the stock velocifire caps

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
One of my coworkers just let me test his mechanical keyboard out and it was really kind of fantastic to type with; so now I'm eyeing up the Qisan Magicforce 68 key keyboard. Is there some way I can buy some doodad to make it work wirelessly?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Montalvo posted:

One of my coworkers just let me test his mechanical keyboard out and it was really kind of fantastic to type with; so now I'm eyeing up the Qisan Magicforce 68 key keyboard. Is there some way I can buy some doodad to make it work wirelessly?

Get the gateron version. No way to make it wireless.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

Get the gateron version. No way to make it wireless.

What makes this version better?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Either the Ducky One RGB or Ducky One TKL RGB will have better build quality and more features than the CODE Keyboard, plus it's less expensive. If you don't want RGB backlighting, both keyboards also come in single-color LED backlight and no-backlight versions: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=140

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Here's an SVG file that can be uploaded to WASD's keycap designer: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Ri-gMrE88Q7IZ8sZ3w1iqCuAY3jWL2L6

All the alphanumeric keys have the corresponding Wingdings font character, unless I mistyped something

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Are Das Keyboards still worthwhile? I did some checking around and apparently they had a kickstarter back in 2016 for super dumb keyboard concept, that they still hadn't delivered on...

I like their aesthetics, but if they are down to scamming people it is time to buy somewhere else.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Either the Ducky One RGB or Ducky One TKL RGB will have better build quality and more features than the CODE Keyboard, plus it's less expensive. If you don't want RGB backlighting, both keyboards also come in single-color LED backlight and no-backlight versions: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=140

Thanks, just pulled the trigger on the Ducky One TKL. I stumbled on it last night while on the Mechanical Keyboards subreddit, but its good to get a recommendation from here also. I'm a little nervous dropping the numpad since I have to do some mainframe emulation for work, but hopefully its not an issue.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

What about Ducky compared with the standard WASD V2 keyboard?

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Does anyone ever consider putting weaker springs on thumb-hit keys?

After I built my Ergodox I thought I better get serious about proper touch typing, so I was doing more typing than usual because of rolling through some lessons at lunchtime. After a few weeks my thumb joints were killing me. Probably because of some poor form, but even the best form has your thumbs hitting keys somewhat side-on to the joint, so it got me thinking about whether that needed some accommodation.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
Does anyone have the Votex Race? I’m thinking of selling my non-backlit Poker 3 with Clears for one of these.

CODE chat - I’ve had one for years and love it but the main reason I got one was because they were the only manufacturer at the time to use MX Clears. Now just about everyone has Clears and there are more interesting options out there so I get why CODE doesn’t have the same appeal they used too. Still a very quality keyboard.

Sacred Cow fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 7, 2018

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Megasabin posted:

What about Ducky compared with the standard WASD V2 keyboard?

Pretty much the same. Looks like the WASD is almost the same as the CODE minus backlighting.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xarn posted:

Are Das Keyboards still worthwhile? I did some checking around and apparently they had a kickstarter back in 2016 for super dumb keyboard concept, that they still hadn't delivered on...

I like their aesthetics, but if they are down to scamming people it is time to buy somewhere else.

I was watching a youtube video that I can't find right now but it turned out the keyboard was a clone of one of the das keyboard designs. Since the company is doing crappy kickstarters and using cheap clone switches (greetech?) I don't think there's any reason not to go with something else.

Johnny Law posted:

Does anyone ever consider putting weaker springs on thumb-hit keys?

After I built my Ergodox I thought I better get serious about proper touch typing, so I was doing more typing than usual because of rolling through some lessons at lunchtime. After a few weeks my thumb joints were killing me. Probably because of some poor form, but even the best form has your thumbs hitting keys somewhat side-on to the joint, so it got me thinking about whether that needed some accommodation.

Most people will actually put stiffer springs in a spacebar because it's a huge long button supported by a tiny keyswitch. But you're talking about ergodox so who knows what those hypernerds do with their boards. If you're causing pain in your thumbs then I think it's really good that you're evaluating how to stop it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Pretty much the same. Looks like the WASD is almost the same as the CODE minus backlighting.

What makes the Ducky's build quality better?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Sacred Cow posted:

Does anyone have the Votex Race? I’m thinking of selling my non-backlit Poker 3 with Clears for one of these.

I have one! With clears. I like it a lot; have discovered I type numbers more frequently than I thought I did, though. Oh well, I'll get a numpad at some point. Do you have any specific questions? This is my first mechanical, so I don't really have any point of comparison, but I'll answer as best I can.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Zack Ater posted:

I have one! With clears. I like it a lot; have discovered I type numbers more frequently than I thought I did, though. Oh well, I'll get a numpad at some point. Do you have any specific questions? This is my first mechanical, so I don't really have any point of comparison, but I'll answer as best I can.

Mostly just curious about the quality of the keycaps. The stock Poker keycaps are pretty solid but this will be my first DSA profile. Has the odd size of the right hand keys thrown you off at all?

I already have a 10 key off to the side of my other boards so I’m not too worried about that. Plus after being on the Poker for a while I’m used to not having one.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Megasabin posted:

What makes the Ducky's build quality better?

Now that I think about it, I guess it's mainly that Ducky uses PBT keycaps that are thicker than the ABS keycaps on WASD boards. They both have good, solid plastic cases, but the Ducky boards are a bit heavier, which may contribute to a sturdier feel. Ducky has dual-layer PCBs, which apparently improve durability too, but I don't know if WASD has a similar construction or not.

WASD does have keycap customization, which is a neat service. I think you'd be happy with either board, but I'd prefer the Ducky for myself as I prefer paying way too much for keycaps

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
Started building a keyboard with a DZ60 PCB today and ISO layout. First soldering job ever, and I got to learn the hard way about what to watch out for in the future.

Soldering the white leds onto the board took forever. They are tiny as gently caress and I had to double check if they were aligned correctly. I also spent some time on exchanging a couple soldered leds. Three leds on the bottom row were misalignment and another one was resoldered twice because it was the only led that wouldn't light up for a split second when I connected the PCB to the PC. Turns out that its positioned under the caps key and doing exactly what it's meant to be doing.

:negative:

Next up were the switches. I had already checked the pcb connection with the keyboard tester program and some tweezers, and the keys all worked fine. I started soldering the switches all the way down to the third row, when I noticed that a couple of switches in the two bottom rows only showed one of their two contacts. Apparently they bent when I added the aluminum plate with the switches onto the PCB board. I ran to the PC to confirm that nagging feeling in the back of my head. Yep, the keys aren't working and I'm going to have to desolder the three rows of switches in order to fix the problem.

:suicide:

I'm calling it quits for today and continue with the project once my desoldering pump gets here.

DrBobChoco
Jan 12, 2006

Sacred Cow posted:

Mostly just curious about the quality of the keycaps. The stock Poker keycaps are pretty solid but this will be my first DSA profile. Has the odd size of the right hand keys thrown you off at all?

The keycaps seem pretty decent on mine, although I've only had it a few months so it's still early days.

The size of the right side keys hasn't thrown me off but, if I was being picky, it'd be nice if there was a gap next to the left arrow to give you a marker as I sometimes miss if I go for an arrow without looking.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone soldering, for the love of god get some of this stuff: https://store.rossmanngroup.com/index.php/amtech-nc-559-v2-30-cc-16160.html

It makes soldering nearly anything, even micro stuff a breeze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Cosmic Web posted:

Started building a keyboard with a DZ60 PCB today and ISO layout. First soldering job ever, and I got to learn the hard way about what to watch out for in the future.

Soldering the white leds onto the board took forever. They are tiny as gently caress and I had to double check if they were aligned correctly. I also spent some time on exchanging a couple soldered leds. Three leds on the bottom row were misalignment and another one was resoldered twice because it was the only led that wouldn't light up for a split second when I connected the PCB to the PC. Turns out that its positioned under the caps key and doing exactly what it's meant to be doing.

:negative:

Next up were the switches. I had already checked the pcb connection with the keyboard tester program and some tweezers, and the keys all worked fine. I started soldering the switches all the way down to the third row, when I noticed that a couple of switches in the two bottom rows only showed one of their two contacts. Apparently they bent when I added the aluminum plate with the switches onto the PCB board. I ran to the PC to confirm that nagging feeling in the back of my head. Yep, the keys aren't working and I'm going to have to desolder the three rows of switches in order to fix the problem.

:suicide:

I'm calling it quits for today and continue with the project once my desoldering pump gets here.

do you have some pictures? Did you not notice that half your holes did not have a lead through them and you soldered over it anyway?