Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

PMush Perfect posted:

My score rarely tops 800. What's the trick?

Higher Ascensions get you more points, other than that I just play fast, draft a bunch of cards and hunt Elites. This time I missed out on Light Speed by 44s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

PMush Perfect posted:

My score rarely tops 800. What's the trick?

The basic score you get for just making it to the end with no special bonuses at all, fighting 2-3 elites per floor, is about 600. From that baseline there are 2 major contributors to score that anyone should be going for in all runs:

1. 50 per boss you kill without taking damage, +50 extra for all 3 without taking damage.
2. 25 per elite you kill without taking damage.

If you do a good job at both of these you should get to the 900-1000 score range. To get much past that, you have to start looking at special bonuses. Some of the easiest ones to keep in mind when you make decisions on what to do in dailies are Speedster/Light Speed (25/50 points for beating the game in 60/45 minutes), Highlander (100 points for no duplicate cards in your deck besides starter cards), and Librarian/Encyclopedian (25/50 points for having 35/50 cards in your deck). Other big ones for score that can be easy to keep in mind but hard to finish a run with are having 5 curses in your deck and taking 0 rare cards.

Also you get 25 points for each set of 4 identical non-starter cards you have in your deck. This conflicts with Highlander and usually gives less points than Highlander, but could result in net benefit if it lets you hit Encyclopedian while hitting 3+ different sets of cards.

As Dias said, higher ascensions also apply a huge score multiplier and you should not really compare high ascension scores with non-ascension scores. All dailies are played as non-ascension.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

How on earth is it possible to kill the act 1 boss without taking damage? I've only played ironclad so far, to be fair, but I can't imagine what combination of path choices and card picks would even put you close.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Unimpressed posted:

How on earth is it possible to kill the act 1 boss without taking damage? I've only played ironclad so far, to be fair, but I can't imagine what combination of path choices and card picks would even put you close.

Very doable if you get a bursty deck against Slime Boss. Try to get it as close to 50% for two turns, and then smoke it as hard as possible on turn 3. After it splits, I'm fairly sure only the green slime will attack, so if you can cut its hp in half on turn 4, you're golden.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Unimpressed posted:

Disarm/Weaken Hexaghost and starting the fight with low health is probably the "easiest" way of doing it.

edit: yeah, or Vulnerable into an alpha strike against Slime Boss. He gives you three turns to set up so if you get a bit lucky you can draw into Bludgeon/Perfected Strike and wreck him.

Dias fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 5, 2018

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Slime is pretty much the only boss I can perfect and I usually do it without trying. It's really easy as the Defect at least

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
What does starting hexaghost low do for you?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

ILL Machina posted:

What does starting hexaghost low do for you?

Hexaghost's Inferno attack does 10% of your current hp six times. So if you have low hp, the attack is a lot weaker (and easier to block).

AttackBacon fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jul 6, 2018

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

Guardian boss and 1 Disarm is very doable.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
All of them are very possible, not wholly consistently but it's absolutely something you can shoot for and you can take card choices to increase your chances. But in plenty of instances you'll just not draw the block you need and take hits, don't feel like you're missing something if you're getting hit by the boss that is usually what will happen. The people who get it on the regular are streamers/youtubers playing dailies and a dozen other runs besides every day forever and making the optimal choices with a view to maximizing score bonuses, and even they don't get it every time.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
Corpse Explosion got a rework on the beta branch and it's now balls-out loving insane.

It now applies 6 poison and a stacking status effect that deals damage to every enemy equal to it's max HP when the creature dies, which makes any fight with 2+ enemies a complete cakewalk. It'll probably get a nerf soon, so you might want to play with it before it goes the way of Electrodynamics.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Tulul posted:

It'll probably get a nerf soon, so you might want to play with it before it goes the way of Electrodynamics.
Electrodynamics is still pretty good for certain builds. What did it do before it was nerfed?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

WhiteHowler posted:

Electrodynamics is still pretty good for certain builds. What did it do before it was nerfed?

It didn't channel but hit individual enemies twice per lightning when upgraded

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

WhiteHowler posted:

When it very first came to the beta branch, Electrodynamics was sort of garbage. It was 2 Power, and only added the Electro status (aka AoE Lightning Orbs) without channelling any orbs. The upgrade made it so that if there was only one enemy, it hit that enemy twice. It was still useful in certain builds, given that it stacked (the more Electros you stacked, the more times it would hit a single enemy) but generally it was pretty bad against single enemies and needed you to have an outside source of lightning generation to even be more than a dead card.

Then they removed the original effect and made it so that any time you evoked a lightning orb, it went off 1 (2 when upgraded) more times. This also stacked, and led to hilarious clownshoes results where you'd become a lightning machine gun and then drop a Thunder Strike for a million damage. It was hilarious but lasted maybe a week at most before they nerfed the poo poo out of it to its current form.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 6, 2018

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I'm really liking Hand of Greed on beta. I picked it up on an A11 Ironclad run on the first shop and immediately upgraded it and over the course of the run it made me roughly 500g. I had a bit of a perfect storm for it as I got a Bulwark early on as well, so I could stall and snipe all the kills with it on certain fights. Still, I feel like even at just 10-12 kills (so 150-240 gold) you are still getting quite a bit of value out of it. Definitely a card you only want to pick up if it's still relatively early on and you think you'll probably be able to upgrade it, but really solid if you do.

nerox
May 20, 2001
After playing the game for a few days, I finally won with ironclad. Nothing like a small deck that includes limit break+, whirlwind+, and demon form+.

I beat the second form of the final boss in one round with a 6 energy whirlwind that was hitting in the 70's per swing

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Corpse Explosion is a monstrously good card now, holy cats. Sure I'll take a single card that will ensure a win against Donu and Deca, no problemo.

I think you could probably cut the cost and the damage in half and it would still be a good card without being quite so overpowered. Maybe make it exhaust too.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Making it exhaust would be a buff a lot of the time. I think the new version is just mis-designed, it should be a poison enabler rather than something where the poison is basically incidental. Maybe it could work like The Specimen.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Well, just broke 1000 in a daily for the first time! :toot:

Came drat close to perfecting The Shapes with an absurd starting Whirlwind. Close, but no cigar. It's probably my new favorite build, though. High strength + lots of energy = Whirlwind scaling quadratically. (Heavy Blade obviously goes in, too, of course.)

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 7, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Making it exhaust would be a buff a lot of the time. I think the new version is just mis-designed, it should be a poison enabler rather than something where the poison is basically incidental. Maybe it could work like The Specimen.

Yeah that’s probably true, once you play it you don’t need it again.

I agree that it’s not designed well. Huge burst damage is Ironclad’s shtick, not Silent’s. The old CE was bad but it still fit the setup-finisher style that she is a little more known for. This one is just hey, kill one enemy this fight and then you win, no synergy or lay-up required.

I guess the poison is to try and make it not completely dead in a solo fight, but 2 energy for 6 poison is a huge waste and there’s no point in upgrading the card.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

at least corpse explosion actually feels like, a corpse explosion spell now

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it would still be pretty good if it did like a quarter of the damage

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

I got this on sale and just started playing, it's really just as good as everybody says. Any general tips for which paths to take on Act I and II?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mystic Stylez posted:

I got this on sale and just started playing, it's really just as good as everybody says. Any general tips for which paths to take on Act I and II?
In descending order of importance: Chests, Campfires, Shops (if you have money), Mysteries (Act 2), Elites (if you have HP), Enemies, Mysteries (Act 1/3). It's generally agreed that Act 2 fights are a lot harder than Act 1, and even harder than some Act 3, so that's the best place to aim for ?s. Act 1 is the best place to aim for elites once you feel confident in your abilities, killing them always nets you a relic, and those can be pretty good.

Also, once you learn what each boss symbol means, picking card choices around making sure you have ways to deal with their attacks is a Good Idea(tm).

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
Elites are a pretty big power bump if you don't get completely crippled by the amount of damage you take from them. Besides the relics, they offer rare cards at a higher rate than normal and the gold you get from them can allow you to shore up weaknesses/buy a relic at shops.

This is true for all acts, but a2 elites are super dangerous. There's just a lot of potential damage from all of them. The book of stabbing helps to have weak and -str, as well as strong block. The gremlin leader is a lot easier if you are able to kill minions fast to keep him from attacking. The slaver group is a lot more manageable if you can kill the red slaver in the back. He puts vuln on you and can prevent you from attacking for a round, both of which generally just increases the amount of damage you're going to take.

If you can kill the a2 elites soundly, you will win that run, but there's nothing wrong with dodging those dudes either.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
So here's a pile of cards I won with after being really tired one night and trying to piece together my thought process picking it back up a couple days later on a3.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mystic Stylez posted:

Again, I'm not exactly GOOD at this game, but this has served me well lately, aka I'm actually climbing Ascension 10+ steadily. Most of it is stuff I garnered from watching JoINrbs' stream, who's a pretty good StS player:

Act 1 is all about hunting Elites for Relics. You basically want to hit as many Elites and Camps as possible, while minimizing regular fights. The first three fights are always easier than everything else, and since you're gonna need decent cards to kill Elites, try to find a path with those three fights earlier on. Bonfires before Elites are great, late Elites are also great. Don't be afraid to rest a bunch if you feel you don't need to upgrade something NOW.

As for drafting: for Act 1 you really want some frontloaded damage cards. That'd be something like a Perfected Strike, a Bludgeon, anything that lets you do a lot of damage really fast. Those cards get worse in later Acts, so you don't want too many of them. You also want better blocks, some way to reduce Strength/inflict Weak AND you want some sort of AoE for Act 2. Whirlwind is really good for Ironclad.

The more stuff ONE card can do, usually the better. Dash is great for Silent because it's like you played two Blocks and two Strikes for 2 energy. Uppercut is decent damage, inflicts Weak AND Vulnerable. Shrug it Off is a great block that draws you a card.

Act 2 is all about running the gently caress away from fights and fixing your deck's weaknesses/finding a way to beat the Boss. I just take as many ?s and Camps as I can, and I'll try and hit a shop too. At this point, you want some SCALING damage. This would be a way to build up Strength if you're Ironclad, or Poison if you're Silent. You can also just scale Block and slowly chip bosses down with Thorns. The cards you're offered will dictate your strategy.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

I actually felt shame having this deck. 3 offerings in act I...

I didn't even get the whirlwind until the penultimate floor. Most clears were just off the back of drawing the whole deck and slamming heavy strike

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I've done five runs through the spire hitting all the ?s I can and still no mask event. Anyone know what it does?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ithle01 posted:

I've done five runs through the spire hitting all the ?s I can and still no mask event. Anyone know what it does?

"50/50 good mask/bad mask" is more or less what the text says. good mask gives you a cultist mask - i dont know what this actually does. bad mask gives you a relic that means the next non-boss chest you open is empty.
idk about anyone else but I just take the "later dawg" option

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

awesmoe posted:

"50/50 good mask/bad mask" is more or less what the text says. good mask gives you a cultist mask - i dont know what this actually does. bad mask gives you a relic that means the next non-boss chest you open is empty.

There's a couple different mask options for both good and bad.

Good:
Cleric mask: Gain 1 max hp at the end of each fight.
Snake mask: Gain 50 gold whenever you enter an event.

Bad:
Gremlin mask: Get 1 weak at the start of each combat.
N'Loth mask: According to the patch notes, this makes EVERY non-boss chest empty.

NeutralGOODEST: Cultist mask: makes you "CAAAWWWW" at the start of each fight.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

awesmoe posted:

there are 5 relics not 2, every time i've rolled the dice i've gotten a bad face and it sucks.
cultist mask actually does nothing (mechanically, it makes your dude yell like a bird cultist at the start of combat), dont know if it counts as "good" or "bad" in terms of the event but it's obviously the best
one applies the red mask effect to yourself (start every combat with 1 weak)
one makes the next chest you open empty. it still consumes a matryoshka charge if you have it, but gives you 0 relics not 1. it sucks.
one gives you 1 maxhp after every combat
and one gives you 50 gold whenever you enter a ? event (combats/treasure/shop ? marks dont count)

overall i rate this event garbage because the low rolls are total balls, the good rolls equate to like a fruit relic or old coin if you get the mask seller early on level 2 and minmax your path for their benefits

edit: beaten but on the n'loth mask im pretty sure the patch notes are wrong? from memory it only happens once

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Ayn Randi posted:

edit: beaten but on the n'loth mask im pretty sure the patch notes are wrong? from memory it only happens once

Probably. I haven't actually gotten that one, I'd guess the devs probably changed it for being too much of a gently caress you.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
Sounds cool, the negatives aren't too bad I guess. I've been trying to get that drat event to pop but have just rolled terribly.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

This game is so frustrating I've managed to beat three of the daily's but every time I get to the final boss in the regular mode I loving choke and die.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ayn Randi posted:

there are 5 relics not 2, every time i've rolled the dice i've gotten a bad face and it sucks.

oh crazy, i've done it 5 times and only got either c'caw! or n'loth

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Made it to #349 in the daily! Probably would have done a lot better if I hadn't tried to make a Shiv build and ran into the Time Eater. :sigh:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Lprsti99 posted:

Probably. I haven't actually gotten that one, I'd guess the devs probably changed it for being too much of a gently caress you.

Yeah, it definitely changes after the first pop to say its energy has been used up.

This daily was pretty fun. It was sort of amazing to end up with 137 max hp, and still only survive because of a lizard tail though. Somehow, my only victories so far have been Silent.

I don't understand Ironclad at all. I mean, it's straightforward to use, but I don't know how you're supposed to not just get worn down from attrition with the focus on damage over utility.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

I don't understand Ironclad at all. I mean, it's straightforward to use, but I don't know how you're supposed to not just get worn down from attrition with the focus on damage over utility.
Ironclad isn't a 100% attacker, it's a tank. The three best Ironclad cards are Shake It Off (block + draw), Armaments (block + upgrade [one/every] card in your hand for the rest of the battle), and Body Slam (deal damage equal to your current Block. At Body Slam+, it costs 0.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
I guess I've mostly been getting bad luck then, because I rarely even see all three in a single run. Usually it's one of the block+ types or the other, and if Body Slam appears it's so early that I don't trust it to be worth taking due to lack of strong blocks. Random numbers gonna random.