Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

pile of brown posted:

Sorry kid, but you're a sack of poo poo.

First of all if it's not ok for him to drop a hot pan in a metal sink, why the gently caress would it be ok for you to hand it to a person? Obviously your pain trick DOESNT loving WORK or you wouldn't be handing people hot pans after you've gotten burned by one.

Second of all you're allegedly a supervisor in a work environment, and your authority over anyone who works for you stops right at their employment with your company and definitely doesn't extend to you burning their flesh or other bullshit corporal punishment, no matter how much of an immigrant they are. Who the gently caress do you think you are and why do you think you have authority over other people's bodies?

Third of all if you can't tell a hot pan in a wet sink is hot, AND you don't spray into your sink to check on loads of cooking pans fresh from the hotline, AND you don't use side towels to move potentially hot things, you're the one who deserves a burn for being a dumbfuck who doesn't know how to work in a dishpit.

Kid.

I'm the last person to deny being a fuckin' rear end in a top hat, that it was a dick move and badly thought out, but you want to point out where I mentioned being a supervisor? Or where I give a gently caress about the dude being an immigrant? Or where I said the dude threw the pan that did the burning, or if it was wet?

Hell, the only reason I was so loving pissed was because my new guy, who's supposed to be taking over mornings so I don't end up pulling doubles every few days, got burned to gently caress. Good kid, first job ever, and his hand got loving bad burns. Most of the palm blistered poo poo.

As for why we haven't just fired the guy, because the owners won't let us. They paid for his flights, his visa, whole nine yards. For some reason our chef doesn't have the authority to, and the hotel GM doesn't either.

I totally deserve the kid comments. That was assholish of me to you lot for no good reason, my apologies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
So weird how the guy who went on a completely unprovoked, 800-word rant about MUH GUN RIGHTS in the restaurant industry thread would follow it up with with arguments about how he's perfectly entitled to inflict third degree burns on any immigrants who have the gall to work in HIS kitchen.

Imagine that.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Why would I know he was an immigrant if you hadn't included it, talked about it, and then in your apology referenced it again?

I was wrong, I thought from your post about how you were deciding who was and was not allowed in the kitchen you were some form of supervisor, but you didn't claim that and apparently I was wrong.

An active dish sink is wet even if it's not full of water.

You'll never see me so angry as when I see someone toss a sharp knife into a soapy dishpit, but I would never go slice open their palm in retaliation, even though I've driven a dish guy (and another girl) to urgent care for exactly that reason. I tell them why it's bad and if they don't learn they don't get to work anymore.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I wear a beard net. It's a bit awkward, because I'm clean-shaven.

Also I don't work in the restaurant industry.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747

pile of brown posted:

Why would I know he was an immigrant if you hadn't included it, talked about it, and then in your apology referenced it again?

Only mentioned he's a new immigrant dude because someone asked why the gently caress you'd be at work if you're off shift. Hotel restaurant, hotel is giving him room+board+wages. Also mentioned how cool our other new immigrant dude is. Do I need to mention I'm only 2nd generation myself?

quote:

An active dish sink is wet even if it's not full of water.

Dude threw it on one of the racks for our machine. Heavy duty plastic rack, poo poo melts if it's hot enough, but otherwise it's damned hard to notice.

marshalljim posted:

So weird how the guy who went on a completely unprovoked, 800-word rant about MUH GUN RIGHTS in the restaurant industry thread would follow it up with with arguments about how he's perfectly entitled to inflict third degree burns on any immigrants who have the gall to work in HIS kitchen.

Imagine that.

People were talking about stupid Canadian law. Firearms law in Canada is an area I know well, and is goofy as gently caress and dumb on a regular basis, even if the basics are solid as gently caress and agreeable. Also you seem to have missed the part where I said it was a dumb and lovely thing for me to do.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Trebuchet King posted:

okay, so years ago we put our menu on tripadvisor, as you do. we're historic and in the nation's capital, so why not.
some time later, tripadvisor decides to outsource their menu management to a service called singleplatform. updating the menu then requires reaching out to this third party we've never dealt with, but the changes aren't that big so we elect just not to worry about the hassle.
even more time later, we start getting carryout order calls for a couple items we'd discontinued a while back, and the folks placing the order start makin a real big stink. "well, i'm sorry, we update the menu periodically." at this point, i should clarify, we'd forgotten all about singleplatform, and just figured outdated togo menus were still stuck on a few fridges around town.
eventually, one of the order placers lets slip "but we already took their money!" and that's when some lights start to go on--i forget what exactly our bartender said, but it was something in the vein of "that sounds like your problem, not ours."
turns out that doordash or whoever it was had gotten that outdated menu from singleplatform and decided they were going to include us in their service, so we followed up with a shitload of phonecalls to tell them it's p lovely to make people opt out instead of opt in, and about a week later we were taken off the food delivery app.

(tangent note: they didn't even use our branding, they just threw together our name in some awful font, which REALLY ticked me off)

This was probably either Postmates or Foodie Call. We have this problem with Postmates a lot, their menu for our restaurant is like a year and a half old, has items we no longer can even make, and also includes a regional burger from literally the other end of the country that again, we can't make.

UberEats and DoorDash have tablets and let you handle your own menu administration from a web backend. Not that this doesn't create its own set of problems, since the tablet doesn't care if you're weeded and lined up out the door.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

MohawkSatan posted:

Only mentioned he's a new immigrant dude because someone asked why the gently caress you'd be at work if you're off shift. Hotel restaurant, hotel is giving him room+board+wages. Also mentioned how cool our other new immigrant dude is. Do I need to mention I'm only 2nd generation myself?
Apparently you do need to, in an attempt to defend yourself.

quote:

Dude threw it on one of the racks for our machine. Heavy duty plastic rack, poo poo melts if it's hot enough, but otherwise it's damned hard to notice.

So you grabbed a hot pan off a dish rack in slot to be put into the machine instead of filling any spaces why? And why did you say he threw it in the sink if he slotted it in a rack for you?

Are you literally my heroin addict "ex-executive chef" who knew everything except how to tell if he was supposed to run the restaurant or the kitchen or the dishpit? And also sometimes couldn't remember if he was cook or dish even though he was still a better cook than my CIA graduates

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Jul 6, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Looks like things are really "heating up" in this thread, ha ha

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

Looks like things are really "heating up" in this thread, ha ha

h*ll yeah, haha lol

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

pile of brown posted:

You'll never see me so angry as when I see someone toss a sharp knife into a soapy dishpit, but I would never go slice open their palm in retaliation, even though I've driven a dish guy (and another girl) to urgent care for exactly that reason. I tell them why it's bad and if they don't learn they don't get to work anymore.

In my store, throwing a knife in the sink is one of the very few things that will get you instantly fired. It's one of the first things I tell all new hires. Always call SHARP TO THE SINK when dropping one off, and never drop it in the sink itself. I, and most folks, just wash em ourselves right there on the spot, takes 30 seconds and no harm, no foul.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Discendo Vox posted:

I wear a beard net. It's a bit awkward, because I'm clean-shaven.

Also I don't work in the restaurant industry.

Should really upgrade to the next level.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Coasterphreak posted:

UberEats and DoorDash have tablets and let you handle your own menu administration from a web backend. Not that this doesn't create its own set of problems, since the tablet doesn't care if you're weeded and lined up out the door.

That's not everywhere. DoorDash in my city (Kitchener/Waterloo, Ontario) seems to be run by one guy who has a farm of people somewhere ripping menus off of websites and setting up businesses without their knowledge. Apparently wherever the data entry farm is, they're paid bonuses based on how many restaurants they can "sign up". There are a whole lot of people who are super loving mad about being listed on a takeout app without their knowledge, with possibly outdated/incorrect menus, with drivers who don't show up/show up 30 minutes late/pick up food and don't deliver it, so customers leave lovely reviews on social media. Or they're a restaurant that doesn't normally do take out food at all so they're not set up for it. It's a bit of an issue.

Naelyan fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 6, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Accuracy doesn't matter? Sounds like an AI which generated plausible restaurant names and menus could be worth a lot to the right person :thunk:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Never submerge a knife. That's some day one poo poo.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Field Mousepad posted:

Never submerge a knife. That's some day one poo poo.

I've actually singlehandedly gotten every single FoH person to wash their own knives rather than just randomly leaving them wherever.

Now, if only I could convince our relatively idiotic night crew to actually clean them before putting them away at the end of their shift.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

pseudosavior posted:

Now, if only I could convince our relatively idiotic night crew to actually clean them before putting them away at the end of their shift.

I thought I was the only one with this issue.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

pseudosavior posted:

I've actually singlehandedly gotten every single FoH person to wash their own knives rather than just randomly leaving them wherever.

gently caress, FOH where I'm at have 2 sharp knives.
The bartender brought one from home for cutting garnishes, and a server brought one for cutting lemons.
May God have mercy on you if either of those knifes are not cleaned and put away BEFORE services starts.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have a box cutter as a sharp knife, but that stays on me (or in my bag) at all times. If there's steak knives that need to be clean, I rest the handle on the tray and let the blade soak so I don't cut myself.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

iospace posted:

I have a box cutter as a sharp knife, but that stays on me (or in my bag) at all times. If there's steak knives that need to be clean, I rest the handle on the tray and let the blade soak so I don't cut myself.

now I’m imagining a bunch of servers standing around preservice trying to slice lemons with box cutters

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hauki posted:

now I’m imagining a bunch of servers standing around preservice trying to slice lemons with box cutters

We have other sharp knives in the store.

We simply throw them through the dishwasher without soaking them in the silverware tray (or if we do, they're long enough that the handles are sticking out so it's a non-issue when it comes to grabbing them).

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah that's kinda weird. Why not buy a little paring knife with a sheath and carry that around?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Effort and money.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
There are very few bad things I will say about my boss/the bar owner, but one is that if he's working behind the bar (which happens at the very least once a week) he will take dirty knives sitting next to the kitchen area dish sink and drop them in the soap compartment "to soak" without a word. Every drat time. We just know to watch out for it at this point, but it doesn't sketch me out any less. I've talked to him about it before (never angry or accusatory, he's a very good employer in every other way) and he's said he'd try to break the habit, but he never has. At least turnover is so low that we never really need to teach new people about it on any regular basis, and I've yet to see a resulting injury. It's not good, but at least no one's hurt.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Dish pit: Don't throw sharp knives in murky water.

Every knife we use gets put on the steel metal top for wash.

WE EVEN HAVE A BUCKET for all things silverware, that includes KNIVES!

So you've done hosed up two easy things and cut my dishwasher. Jesus.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

There are very few bad things I will say about my boss/the bar owner, but one is that if he's working behind the bar (which happens at the very least once a week) he will take dirty knives sitting next to the kitchen area dish sink and drop them in the soap compartment "to soak" without a word. Every drat time. We just know to watch out for it at this point, but it doesn't sketch me out any less. I've talked to him about it before (never angry or accusatory, he's a very good employer in every other way) and he's said he'd try to break the habit, but he never has. At least turnover is so low that we never really need to teach new people about it on any regular basis, and I've yet to see a resulting injury. It's not good, but at least no one's hurt.

You should be angry and accusatory.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

The Maestro posted:

You should be angry and accusatory.

I guess I’d rather be calm and civil with the guy, we’re all adults here. It’s not that he denies what he’s doing or doesn’t understand the danger of it, it’s a habit he doesn’t think about when he does it, so if he doesn’t get caught in the act, he doesn’t realize it or try to change. Plus the dude signs my checks.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I guess I’d rather be calm and civil with the guy, we’re all adults here. It’s not that he denies what he’s doing or doesn’t understand the danger of it, it’s a habit he doesn’t think about when he does it, so if he doesn’t get caught in the act, he doesn’t realize it or try to change. Plus the dude signs my checks.
:tif:

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
You tried calm and civil. It’s not just s bad habit, it’s inconsiderate and dangerous.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, what a weekend at work, it continues to prove that it is impossible for people to get fired at this restaurant.

On Saturday one of the drivers got pulled over for speeding while on a delivery (not a great look), even better he didn't have valid registration or insurance, so he couldn't even finish the delivery. One of the other drivers had to come pick the guy up, take his delivery for him, and then drive the dude back to work so he could immediately get cashed out (since he could not legally drive)

The next day, driver guy is working a kitchen shift and the owner calls to "have a chat" with him about the whole speeding/no registration/no insurance scenario. An hour after that conversation ends one of the day servers comes back and asks the kitchen to remake a plate of wings since they got sauced wrong and the same guy says "yeah sure, it'll be no problem, as long as we get to see your tits, heh heh heh"

Server complains to the front of house manager who writes him up, kitchen manager does nothing, guy still has his job, and still has delivery shifts coming up.

Jesus loving christ.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

what in gently caress

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Mezzanon posted:

Wow, what a weekend at work, it continues to prove that it is impossible for people to get fired at this restaurant.

On Saturday one of the drivers got pulled over for speeding while on a delivery (not a great look), even better he didn't have valid registration or insurance, so he couldn't even finish the delivery. One of the other drivers had to come pick the guy up, take his delivery for him, and then drive the dude back to work so he could immediately get cashed out (since he could not legally drive)

The next day, driver guy is working a kitchen shift and the owner calls to "have a chat" with him about the whole speeding/no registration/no insurance scenario. An hour after that conversation ends one of the day servers comes back and asks the kitchen to remake a plate of wings since they got sauced wrong and the same guy says "yeah sure, it'll be no problem, as long as we get to see your tits, heh heh heh"

Server complains to the front of house manager who writes him up, kitchen manager does nothing, guy still has his job, and still has delivery shifts coming up.

Jesus loving christ.

Time to update that resume.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Mezzanon posted:

Jesus loving christ.

Time to go.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Jesus loving christ.

kinda surprised that the company isnt in some way liable for giving the dude with a suspended license delivery jobs

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
God damnit. They probated AMAHH for 30 days. I just wanted to know what the end of his job story was.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I kinda feel like mezzanon just told it

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mandatory lesbian posted:

kinda surprised that the company isnt in some way liable for giving the dude with a suspended license delivery jobs

It's almost as if labor laws aren't enforced as strongly as other law. If he'd hit something that would have been a thing.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Some places don't even have dram shop laws.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

In news completely the opposite of AMAHD's cryptic announcement... (I'm dying to know the story too, even though it would be filtered thru a completely unreliable narrator)

Guess who just got a promotion! :woop:

One of our asst managers was out sick with pneumonia last week, and in a pinch my KM put me in charge for the first time. And I guess I didn't suck at it, because we're expanding our hours to do lunch as well as breakfast, so she needs another shift lead, and I got tapped for it.

I get a raise, and steady 8am to 4pm hours. Noooooiiiiice. No more waking up at 3:45 for this old lady! I get to boss around the guys who stand there doing nothing instead of helping on dish and prep! I WILL RULE THAT KITCHEN WITH AN IRON FIST AHHHAAAHHA IM ALREADY DRUNK WITH POWER

(Totally j/k, when I was in charge, people liked the fact that we got poo poo done, and without me being a histrionic rear end in a top hat about it.)

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Congrats! Kick rear end and chew gum, just don't burn yourself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/danielmkim/status/1017403698060845058