Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

For the sake of the downticket, I hope the poo poo sandwiches running for governor don't depress turnout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

FuturePastNow posted:

For the sake of the downticket, I hope the poo poo sandwiches running for governor don't depress turnout.

Of course it'll depress turnout--then all the Dem pols who put thumbs on Pritzker's scale during the primary will blame the voters for said low turnout.

Chicago/Cook voters already chose the Dem candidates, so it's kinda moot for them to vote in the general election unless they feel strongly about governor. I doubt that Lipinski, e.g., is gonna get people out to the polls, and good candidates like Chuy are a lock for their races.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
But it'll kill Sean Casten's chance to beat Pete Roskam.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9g4YsGpO-A&t=2s

e: Depressed turnout chat: isn't this blue wave going to cancel out the lackluster governor-to-bes?

bort fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 26, 2018

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

bort posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9g4YsGpO-A&t=2s

e: Depressed turnout chat: isn't this blue wave going to cancel out the lackluster governor-to-bes?

I'm just pumped to vote for someone my blood-red parents and co-workers would hate, even though it won't amount to anything (maybe?). Also, so I can get irrationally angry when the national vote doesn't Blue Tsunami as hard as I want. (I want inverse-Mondale, so I'm already ready to be disappointed).

Not sure why I'm still here in Central IL; I must have committed some heinous sins in a past life. That, and moving is expensive :v:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Rauner has made at least three ads bringing up how Prtizker removed toilets from one of his houses. Jesus find something new to attack him on.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
But a good governor has lots of places to poo-poo! Don't vote for a man who has to hold in his poopies. Vote for a governor who poops where he pleases!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He's got 57,000 square miles of places he's taken a poo poo on.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Stood right next to Rauner at our local 4th of July parade while some white lady got all excited to take a selfie with him.

How anyone can get so excited for a governor who has done so little in office befuddles me.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Because he's sticking it to those "Chicago Democrats" (minorities)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

ZorajitZorajit posted:

But a good governor has lots of places to poo-poo! Don't vote for a man who has to hold in his poopies. Vote for a governor who poops where he pleases!

Not sure if you're joking, but that's not the point. Pritzker removed toilets from one of his mansions so he could claim it was "dilapidated" and get a super cheap tax bill on what should be an exorbitantly-taxed property. He then hooked them right back up after the appeal, how about that.

I vote for the loving meteor (but failing that Pritzker I guess).

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
All our pension problems could be easily solved if all rich fuckers paid what they really owe.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I know there are constitutional issues but I feel like the state could be fixed with a progressive income tax and actually taxing people on their retirement income like every other loving state.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

All our pension problems could be easily solved if all rich fuckers paid what they really owe.

I want to see it happen but I do think a ton of the rich assholes would flee to Indiana since it isn't that much further away from the loop than they already live

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

xzzy posted:

He's got 57,000 square miles of places he's taken a poo poo on.

The sad thing is for a split second I was wondering if pritzker or rauner actually owned this much land somewhere. They're rich enough it's feasible

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

I want to see it happen but I do think a ton of the rich assholes would flee to Indiana since it isn't that much further away from the loop than they already live

If they were going to do that they already would have. Likewise, they would have all fled NYC for Newark, and the Twin Cities for Wisconsin. (The border is about 20 miles from St Paul.)

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

mastershakeman posted:

Silver lining: none of them could run for office that way.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Big Black Dick posted:

Net gain all round.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Big Black Dick posted:

If there's a policy that could drive Jim oberweis out of the state I'm 1000% for it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can we still get his ice cream though because it's pretty tasty.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

mastershakeman posted:

If there's a policy that could drive Jim oberweis out of the state I'm 1000% for it
One of his combination burger/shake joints opened up in town here.

Those are some monstrously overpriced burgers, I have to tell you.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Dexo posted:

Auburn High we outchea.

Only good thing about growing up in Rockford is moving to Springfield and being able to say, "oh hey, it's not that much different than Rockford."

Springfield feels like a paradise to me having grown up in Beardstown...

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

dwarf74 posted:

One of his combination burger/shake joints opened up in town here.

Those are some monstrously overpriced burgers, I have to tell you.

he does burgers now? all we get here are the dairy products (which are delicious if on the spendy side)

also the STL media market is somehow...not getting nearly as many Rauner/Pritzker ads as I thought, but that may be because we've got both a competitive Senate election here where the GOP thinks they smell blood but the Dems think they can keep the anti-Greitens momentum going, plus Prop A (if you or someone you know lives in MO, tell them to vote No and spread the word).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

there are some things that just arent worth doing to save on taxes... living in jersey and Minneapolis are two of those things

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Minneapolis owns.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

banned from Starbucks posted:

there are some things that just arent worth doing to save on taxes... living in jersey and Minneapolis are two of those things

I'm guessing you haven't actually been to Minneapolis at least not in the past ten years. It's loving awesome.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

banned from Starbucks posted:

New Jersey effectively has a similar tax rate to New York because it's a gross income tax state and they don't allow pretty much any itemized deductions.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Nail Rat posted:

I'm guessing you haven't actually been to Minneapolis at least not in the past ten years. It's loving awesome.

ive been there the past 3 years for about a week each time.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The Town of Normal's official position is now "gently caress off, you fat orange fascist."

Yeah it's kinda on the late side, but I'm glad to see it publicly from my mayor anyways.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Nail Rat posted:

Not sure if you're joking, but that's not the point. Pritzker removed toilets from one of his mansions so he could claim it was "dilapidated" and get a super cheap tax bill on what should be an exorbitantly-taxed property. He then hooked them right back up after the appeal, how about that.

I vote for the loving meteor (but failing that Pritzker I guess).

Oh, yeah, I know the situation. Pritzker is an ethically void chungus but, yeah, there's no meteor strike to vote for. Mostly I just wanted to type the word poop a bunch.

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

This made me laugh:
https://twitter.com/AmandaVinicky/status/1016339976915705856

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This is boomers.txt. Cut things for everyone else but me.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Why do I need to retire anyway? I'll just croak teaching algebra when I'm 80-something and they can throw a blanket on me and shuffle in the next underpaid 23 year old.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Obviously since she's a home owner things are different. Now, if she were a renter, then her pension could be cut...

But to be fair the Illinois supreme Court said pensions absolutely can't be touched once they're drawn upon, so it's not like any proposal to modify current ones means anything barring a call to change the constitution (which jb isn't calling for last I checked, despite it being the only way to do his tax plan)

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 9, 2018

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
I saw JB a couple weeks ago in Rogers Park where he was calling to amend the Constitution to allow a progressive income tax.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Devo posted:

Why do I need to retire anyway? I'll just croak teaching algebra when I'm 80-something and they can throw a blanket on me and shuffle in the next underpaid 23 year old.

They'll put up a plaque in the hallway commemorating the 60 years you ground away there so that should be award enough.

If your next of kin pays for it.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

I'm not sure even low taxes could entice rich people to live in Gary, Indiana.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
A constitutional convention would be loving amazing.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

vyelkin posted:

I'm not sure even low taxes could entice rich people to live in Gary, Indiana.

Do what they do with everything start buying everything up and make it so the current people can't afford to live there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Dexo posted:

A constitutional convention would be loving amazing.

It's especially funny since jb is intentionally avoiding how it's necessary for his #1 promise of progressive taxation