Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

What is it shes burning? It looked like US currency for a second, but it's obviously not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Zipperelli. posted:

What is it shes burning? It looked like US currency for a second, but it's obviously not.

I think it is American money, but she's coated it with something probably akin to what stunt dudes use when they're on fire. Of course she for some reason did this over a pool of the flammable liquid so.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

GrandpaPants posted:

I think it is American money, but she's coated it with something probably akin to what stunt dudes use when they're on fire. Of course she for some reason did this over a pool of the flammable liquid so.

It's not like she's setting the container on fire. What could go wrong!?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

GrandpaPants posted:

My guess is that it's the liquid she dipped the bill in. ALso the flame on the lighter is weird so the liquid is probably outgassing pretty good.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
https://i.imgur.com/8Gkyv0t.mp4

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

EmmyOk posted:

AS would have killed so many people if they hadn't had to rush the Sarin attack in order to divert attention from the police raid. The Sarin gas they normally would have produced would have killed uncoutnable thousands if they'd released it on the train the same day.

Posts like that are more suited to the unnerving thread imo

We still don't know what they were actually doing on Banjawarn Station, a 10k acre farm in Western Australia, either.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

:same:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I liked how the fisherman is giving the seal the lightest possible taps. "Oh, no. Stop." :effort:

:3:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Real Seal Steals Reeled Meal

ESDK
Oct 10, 2007

He had called dibs on those fish!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Real Seal Steals Reeled Meal

Schadenfreude: Real Seal Steals Reeled Meal

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Nobody is going to mention the elephant seal in the room, that the fish bandit is a sea lion?

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Dragonstoned posted:

I like how nonchalant people are about the fire in what is essentially an "aisle of explosives"

Nothing more badass than walking away calmly and not looking back at the explosion.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Solitary confinement is one of many abuses that our carceral state inflicts on individuals. It's a terrible practice that should be ended, along with many others in our broken criminal justice system. However
https://twitter.com/ByronYork/status/1015226979694628865

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Solice Kirsk posted:

When you GIS for stamp designs this happens.

I mean, it's a sexier design, sure, but not that much sexier.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

GrandpaPants posted:

Iron Crowned posted:

My guess is that it's the liquid she dipped the bill in. ALso the flame on the lighter is weird so the liquid is probably outgassing pretty good.

Yeah, water+alcohol mixtures burn with a relatively low-temperature flame, since their combustion doesn't produce all that much heat compared to the amount of heat that it takes to vaporize more fuel and keep the fire going. Enough that you can light your hands/booze/face on fire and not get horribly scarred, as long as you put out the fire before too long.

Compared to, say, lighter fluid which let's just say that was a very schaderrific lesson in why not to refill a lighter while drunk and also how not to get spilled ronsonol off your hands. At least not if you don't like first-degree burns.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

zoux posted:

Solitary confinement is one of many abuses that our carceral state inflicts on individuals. It's a terrible practice that should be ended, along with many others in our broken criminal justice system. However

"Guarantee his safety" or "Guarantee that he won't try to keep loving with the trial"?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

chitoryu12 posted:

"Guarantee his safety" or "Guarantee that he won't try to keep loving with the trial"?

Little A, little B. Whole lots of making sure he doesn't drink polonium tea.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

Da

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

canyoneer posted:

Nobody is going to mention the elephant seal in the room, that the fish bandit is a sea lion?

it is

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

zoux posted:

Not having to share a cell, not having to eat in the cafeteria with everyone else, and being allowed all the visitors you want is not "solitary confinement". His lawyers are just calling it that to play the sympathy card. He's not being kept in a dark cupboard.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Jul 6, 2018

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

zoux posted:

It's one thing when solitary is used as an active punishment. It sucks poo poo and ruins people's minds and is absolutely inhumane. But if you yourself suck poo poo so bad that solitary is and improvement over being in the general prison population then I have no sympathy for you. I would feel just as good hearing that this guy got his rear end kicked entirely off as I do hearing that they need to protect him from getting his whole rear end kicked off.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

spog posted:

If I understand this right:

Govt puts up statue
Artist copies statue
Govt print stamps with photo of copy
Artist sues govt

Surely the next step would be for the govt to sue the artist?

Statue eats man
Statue inherits the earth

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sweevo posted:

Not having to share a cell, not having to eat in the cafeteria with everyone else, and being allowed all the visitors you want is not "solitary confinement". His lawyers are just calling it that to play the sympathy card. He's not being kept in a dark cupboard.

Oh, well I say put him in a dark cupboard

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGrAnBM30-U

Billy Mitchell, who was a previous donkey kong arcade record holder and has been proven to be a fraud, attempting spin

maximum cringe

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sir Tonk posted:

goddamn its a loving pool who cares if people that dont live there swim

if you scale this idea up it explains why people get so freaked out about the existence of welfare or why they want strong borders

it's all about turning racism into a personal grievance - THEY are using things paid for by ME

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

The pool racist got fired

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it also makes sense that this petty nazi is on the HOA board

those are the exact kind of nosy self centered cop botherers who would equate a black person standing in the wrong spot as equivalent to theft of air and space

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

AlmightyBob posted:

The pool racist got fired

From work or just the HOA and pool board like I posted earlier?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

From work or just the HOA and pool board like I posted earlier?

https://twitter.com/Sonoco_Products/status/1015237781319188481

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
To think, all you have to do in order to avoid such a fate is to simply not be a shithead in public! Like you can still be an rear end in a top hat in private, society isn't asking that much out of you, guys...

I'm sure there'll be another one by the end of the weekend

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Please please please let him file a discrimination suit against his company. The amount of irony would cure anemia for miles.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Please please please let him file a discrimination suit against his company. The amount of irony would cure anemia for miles.

No! Because then the legal question becomes "is it okay to discriminate/retribute against a person because they're racist?" and that could move up to the supreme court, and with the current status of that the answer they give very well could be "no, it's not okay to discriminate against racists," opening the floodgates for legalized racism in action :smith:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

No! Because then the legal question becomes "is it okay to discriminate/retribute against a person because they're racist?" and that could move up to the supreme court, and with the current status of that the answer they give very well could be "no, it's not okay to discriminate against racists," opening the floodgates for legalized racism in action :smith:

Pretty sure that decision is already in the works, except with even worse outcomes, thanks to all the voter suppression laws and blatant gerrymanders being challenged.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Remember when NFL owners unanimously changed their anthem rules without consulting players so that if they don't either stand for the anthem or stay in the locker room they get fined, all to appease Trump and his supporters?

President Donald Trump now says NFL's new anthem policy is 'worse' than players kneeling on field

quote:

“If you don’t respect the flag or you don’t like the country or whatever it is just go into the locker room,” Trump said. “Just go into the locker room. I think in many respects that’s worse. Isn’t that worse than having them not standing?”

He then repeated his claim that in many respects the policy was worse than having players kneeling on the field.

:chaostrump:

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

zoux posted:

This has already mostly been said, but just to make sure it's clear, this is from a brief written by Manafort's attorneys challenging his pre-trial detention. They're deliberately painting the conditions as miserable as possible in hopes that the judge will buy it.

The judge won't.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

He has to hate them so he can push his buddy Vince's XFL which is totally not going to flop very very very very very hard, again.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

"It's my fish now, bitch." -me, probably

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I can't actually read this article because lol GDPR, so I hope the schadenfreude is as delicious as the headline makes it out to be: https://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-minister-trump-20180706-story.html

quote:

This minister supported Trump. Now he's facing deportation under this administration's immigration crackdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Teddybear posted:

This has already mostly been said, but just to make sure it's clear, this is from a brief written by Manafort's attorneys challenging his pre-trial detention. They're deliberately painting the conditions as miserable as possible in hopes that the judge will buy it.

The judge won't.

Yeah, it is great because the thrust of the argument was that he wouldn't be able to get proper legal representation because of it. And to demonstrate that fact tehy point out that he is in solitary for 23 hours a day (except to meet with lawyers) oh and that the prison is just too far away for the lawyers at a 2 hour drive!

Manafort isn't a cop so it is unlikely a judge will look at that and agree with the argument. He is clearly allowed to meet with his lawyers, so he can prepare for trial. And his lawyers are representing him for federal cases in two separate districts, so they're clearly ok with traveling (and prob get paid by the hour to do so).