Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The cast page clearly says that Cody is a normal guy. It wouldn't lie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Sorry, sorry, that was supposed to say 'cody is anormal, guy'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait to find out Starchman and Lisa's powers.

reignonyourparade posted:

Sorry, sorry, that was supposed to say 'cody is anormal, guy'

Hi Zach! Love the webcomic!

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

RareAcumen posted:

I can't wait to find out Starchman and Lisa's powers.

Starchman already has that force of personality, supernatural powers would just be overkill.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s like everyone already forgot Starchman’s mad finger skating skills.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

starchman doesn't have power

starchman is power

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Patware posted:

starchman doesn't have power

starchman is power

This is why his stars are so valuable to everyone in town, regardless of where they draw their power from.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh hey, he was using his power on his hook/sword. That's cool, and explains its weird appearance. Also, it's a cutlass, so, more pirate stuff.

I am amused by the juxtaposition of goofy father-son stuff and Davey being a creepy monster, in multiple senses of the word.

I don't think you're supposed to give swords to kids, though, Dave. Particularly not at school; Garcia took one from Jeff earlier this day. (Oh man, if the sword gets confiscated and that's why Hijack survives...)

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Have you seen those travelers from outside Mayview? They have curved swords! Curved. Swords.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is a good webcomic even if it moves at tectonic speeds

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Davy you are such a terrible vampirate. You know Hijack’s name, why couldn’t you use it instead of “him”?????

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Tollymain posted:

this is the truth, there's a reason I stuck with it when I dropped like all other webcomic following from my life

Davy just sinking into the ground is both cool and very unnerving.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Tollymain posted:

Yeah, despite issues I have with the pacing and how bloated this chapter is, I keep reading because every page is still great individually.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Maybe I'm missing it.

Obviously the first vampire rule in play is the invitation thing, but what vampire rule is Davy invoking? Compulsion/command over thralls? What's the implication for Cody in that scenario? I just don't know enough about vampire rules I guess.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
We don't know but it definitely looks like his father is invoking some kind of mind control.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Yeah I figured, I just figured since a reference to vampire rules was made it might be some commonly known vampire rule I don't know about.

It could also be an obscure vampire rule I don't know about.

But yeah it does appear to be a mind control thing.

Edit: vampires in 3.5e of D&D get Dominate as an action once per day so maybe he's using a D&D rulebook? lmao

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 6, 2018

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Mesmerizing people is something incredibly common in old vampire tales. The dominated thrall, the 'seduced' maiden. He's invoking that trope by basically 'mind controlling' Cody to absolutely positively kill Hijack

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
waiting on Cody to draw a '2' on the floor around hijack and then deliver a sharp verbal rebuke against his bullying ways

Cuazl
Mar 19, 2009
Vampires get to command their spawn. A power every parent has wished for at least once per day. Might also be why vampire kids always hate their vamparents. But yeah, it's common for vampires to be able to spawn obedient minions. Maybe this guy just chose the more traditional, less bitey method.

Considerate of him to leave that gigantic loophole open, though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So Davy's power seems to be matter manipulation and reshaping -- "tugging" the hallway towards him to catch Hijack, transforming the hook into a cutlass.

Pretty strong power though I'm not sure how it stacks up against Spender being able to blank out and rematerialize shadowed areas. And so far, none of the kids have shown anything close to that level, so if there's going to be a fight against Davy, it'll probably require a coordinated takedown.

Cuazl posted:

Vampires get to command their spawn. A power every parent has wished for at least once per day. Might also be why vampire kids always hate their vamparents. But yeah, it's common for vampires to be able to spawn obedient minions. Maybe this guy just chose the more traditional, less bitey method.

Considerate of him to leave that gigantic loophole open, though.

If Cody counts as a vampire spawn then that explains why Davy was able to sense Cody's heart beating from presumably pretty far away.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
how is Cody going to kill hijack if he can't see him though? just flail around in the direction of where dad sunk into the floor?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Where are you getting the impression that he can't see spirits?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They literally showed it in one of the last few comics - he sees only his dad making a weird pose and not Hijack in his arms.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Podima posted:

They literally showed it in one of the last few comics - he sees only his dad making a weird pose and not Hijack in his arms.

hahah yeah

Man I can't believe I missed THAT

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
Might be some cruel dad joke as revenge for using vampire rules. Since he was commanded Cody will be stuck trying to kill SlendermanMario for awhile.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wonder how Cody's gonna sidestep that order. Cut off a sliver of him? Just not do it now since he never gave him a time that it had to be done by? He already doesn't have to do it fatally and the two pieces don't have to be the same size so there's a lot of leeway here.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Kikas posted:

hahah yeah

Man I can't believe I missed THAT
:confused:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Panel 1; Cody doesn't see Hijack, just his dad.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I love that everyone is assuming Cody even wants to spare Hijack

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Idran posted:

Panel 1; Cody doesn't see Hijack, just his dad.

Also the text here his dad says "Cody, you can't even see the thing". You have to not even read the text to have missed that.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The problem with vampire rules is vampires have a ton of rules depending on regional variations* and time period. We won't know what applies to Davey until it directly comes up, like the invitation thing, which is why we don't know the exact implications of Davey being able to give Cody a command. I do like that he apparently is only willing to break that out if Cody invokes vampire rules, it's not good but it seems like he's trying to be fair with Cody in specific, whether or not Cody would agree.

* This being Paranatural, I'm betting on vampiric squash and melons being a thing, though whether or not their danger is negated as in folklore by lacking mouths is entirely in the air.

EDIT:

quote:

The belief in vampires of plant origin occurs among Gs. [Gypsies] who belong to the Mosl. faith in KM [Kosovo-Metohija]. According to them there are only two plants which are regarded as likely to turn into vampires: pumpkins of every kind and water-melons. And the change takes place when they are 'fighting one another.' In Podrima and Prizrenski Podgor they consider this transformation occurs if these ground fruit have been kept for more than ten days: then the gathered pumpkins stir all by themselves and make a sound like 'brrrl, brrrl, brrrl!' and begin to shake themselves. It is also believed that sometimes a trace of blood can be seen on the pumpkin, and the Gs. then say it has become a vampire. These pumpkins and melons go round the houses, stables, and rooms at night, all by themselves, and do harm to people. But it is thought that they cannot do great damage to folk, so people are not very afraid of this kind of vampire.

brrrl brrrl brrrl

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
I dunno, being clobbered on the head by a large watermelon doesn't sound to me like a good time.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I don't think Cody is human despite having a heartbeat and not being able to see spirits. I mean pretty much any hodgepodge of traits between vampire and human goes for a dhampir, but I think they're typically regarded as being alive, just weird. Could be you have to be a spectral OR a full vampire to see spirits, or it could be that Davey was a spectral before he was turned. I'm curious if Davey can leave Mayview, since we know spirits and spectrals can't but ghosts can. Can a ghost of a spectral leave Mayview? Are other kinds of undead closer to spirits?

The alt-text on page 282 implies Davey needs soil from his homeland (Czechoslovakia) to settle someplace or at least retain full power there, so if Cody keeps interfering with that it might be a moot point. I'm pretty sure the reference to Czechoslovakia when it's been Slovakia and the Czech Republic for like 25 years is just making fun of Davey for having outdated frames of reference, and it's hard to know how much of the alt text jokes actually refer to canon events, but that'd make sense for a reason why Cody is no longer allowed to play with vampire rules.

EDIT: I thiiiiink the implication is that Cody just keeps interfering so Davey doesn't have full unholy power, but it could be read either way.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jul 6, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

PetraCore posted:

The alt-text on page 282 implies Davey needs soil from his homeland (Czechoslovakia) to settle someplace or at least retain full power there, so if Cody keeps interfering with that it might be a moot point. I'm pretty sure the reference to Czechoslovakia when it's been Slovakia and the Czech Republic for like 25 years is just making fun of Davey for having outdated frames of reference, and it's hard to know how much of the alt text jokes actually refer to canon events, but that'd make sense for a reason why Cody is no longer allowed to play with vampire rules.

Which, if it's a reference to Transylvania, the origin place of the vampyre myth, is also completely wrong as it is and has been part of Romania :v:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Kikas posted:

Which, if it's a reference to Transylvania, the origin place of the vampyre myth, is also completely wrong as it is and has been part of Romania :v:
I'd dispute it being the origin place because vampyre myths, even if you're requiring more similarity than just being blood drinking undead, are wider spread than that. Like, Southeastern Europe in general, not just specifically Transylvania. Czechslovakia was close enough to Romania that I don't think that was a mistake.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

RandallODim posted:

I love that everyone is assuming Cody even wants to spare Hijack

Yeah, Hijack surviving makes no sense. The tension between Zarei and Spender needs to reach a boiling point, and Hijack being an unfortunate casualty is as good a casus belli as they come.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
davey already said he used to be a spectral and i doubt hed feel a reason to lie in this situation

also somebody w a good pirate voice needs to do a proper reading of davey's lines lmao

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm curious what the deal with the sword is, actually. The spectral energy rising off of it in the first panel it was revealed in made it seem like Dave's tool, but he's using his powers without it. But if it's not a tool, then it can't harm Hijack, and I'm... More than 50% sure (it's hard to say with this comic) that Dave's not stupid enough to try to have Cody murder Hijack with a normal object.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

LupusAter posted:

Yeah, Hijack surviving makes no sense. The tension between Zarei and Spender needs to reach a boiling point, and Hijack being an unfortunate casualty is as good a casus belli as they come.

Cody can't actually see Hijack and while presumably he has some means around this hurdle it does leave some wiggle room for the baby to escape, if possibly injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont see hijack dying here, at the very least not for real