Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

GimmickMan posted:

I suspect I'm not the only achievement hunter that never saw Dietrich legit pissed off until this LP.

Kanfy is the monster we need.

Also the one we want, I guess.

What would that cheevo even be called? 'Head Conductor of the rear end in a top hat Train'?

bewilderment posted:

Since this game is set in Berlin I assume everyone is actually speaking German in the game. This kind of makes me wonder what Dietrich would sound like if we actually had realistic German dialogue, since while he definitely has a clear 'voice' in English, it's transliterated to sound good in English - I can't imagine the literal translation of "gently caress no I can't sing" sounding good coming out of his mouth.

It's my understanding that the German localization of Dragonfall is considered to be very good, but as my German is painfully weak at best, I'll leave it to someone more knowledgeable to confirm or deny that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Sel Nar posted:

If Everything in STALKER down to the very bacterium were trying to irradiate or awaken your individual cells to tear you apart from the inside as fuel for some local horribleness.

SOX and similar Hellzones are massively interdicted for a variety of reasons, most of them comparable to the 2057 Chicago outbreak. Aka. 'poo poo's hosed, best we can do is keep it in its box so it doesn't eat your face'
I see why trying to draw power from a hellzone is a Bad Idea, but is there any way to clean one up, magically or technologically? (Not just the radioactive places, but also ones like WW2 concentration camps)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
based on the source material of Doom 2016 the best way to clean up mistaken uses of extradimensional hell energy is to send in one angry dude with a shotgun. When the extradimensional terrors are afraid of you, the rest seems to follow.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Doomguy is the ultimate pink mohawk.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Psion posted:

based on the source material of Doom 2016 the best way to clean up mistaken uses of extradimensional hell energy is to send in one angry dude with a shotgun. When the extradimensional terrors are afraid of you, the rest seems to follow.

Isn't that basically the reason ARES is running their own private XCOM program?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Fighting Trousers posted:

What would that cheevo even be called? 'Head Conductor of the rear end in a top hat Train'?

The Apex of Assholery.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Soylent Pudding posted:

Isn't that basically the reason ARES is running their own private XCOM program?

Ares is extremely concerned with ensuring that "The Mission" takes priority, and the rest of the world is interested in knowing exactly what that means.

Recently, Ares burned everyone in Firewatch, and no one knows why.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

MarquiseMindfang posted:

The Apex of Assholery.
Amazing rear end in a top hat Accomplishments

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Ephemeron posted:

I see why trying to draw power from a hellzone is a Bad Idea, but is there any way to clean one up, magically or technologically? (Not just the radioactive places, but also ones like WW2 concentration camps)

You can in fact restore the manasphere of a toxic area. It naturally involves cleaning up the actual pollution, in addition to undoing the toxic aspect of the Mana.

Doing the same thing in places that are just generally unpleasant is trickier. And trying to deelevate an elevated background count is like trying to punch an active volcano so hard that you shift the tectonic plate where you want it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PMush Perfect posted:

Amazing rear end in a top hat Accomplishments

“We’re Very Disappointed in You”

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

So, the mission that introduces you to the lodge is optional, right?

What happens to the bonus lodge requirement if you do this mission before you do that mission? Or is doing that vey first lodge mission a requirement for this humanis mission?

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

What happens to the bonus lodge requirement if you do this mission before you do that mission? Or is doing that vey first lodge mission a requirement for this humanis mission?

The bonus objective (and Lucas' mug) simply doesn't show up.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blademaster_Aio posted:

You only get the lodge objectives if you did the lodge mission. Skip the mission or turn them down, no further requests.

Gymer
May 30, 2012

wiegieman posted:

Ares is extremely concerned with ensuring that "The Mission" takes priority, and the rest of the world is interested in knowing exactly what that means.

Recently, Ares burned everyone in Firewatch, and no one knows why.

Huh? When did this happen?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Blademaster_Aio posted:

To add to what other people said, the Trial Run was one of the five new missions introduced in Director's Cut and if memory serves you could originally get on their payroll by just talking to Duerr.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

chiasaur11 posted:

You only get the lodge objectives if you did the lodge mission. Skip the mission or turn them down, no further requests.

So if you did the Lodge initiation, then conveniently 'forgot' to tell Luca you were going on this mission, he'd disappear?

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

CommissarMega posted:

So if you did the Lodge initiation, then conveniently 'forgot' to tell Luca you were going on this mission, he'd disappear?

Illuminati, remember? They'd know about all your missions regardless of whether you told them or not; the beauty of shadowy organizations in fiction is that you don't have to suss out exactly how they know things- they just do.

Also, it's been said already, but I always appreciate a game that gives you harsh and cruel options that are actually harsh and cruel: not fun in the slightest, but painful and exhausting to even be in the same vicinity as... you know, like cruelty actually is like in the real world. Seems funny to want that sort of thing in a game (a thing created to relax and amuse), but if you're the kind of nerd that's into the exploration of consumptive media as a vehicle for the exploration of emotional catharsis- and I am that sort of nerd, because I just typed that- then being an rear end in a top hat should make you feel like an rear end in a top hat, and to evoke that feeling takes skill. Andrew McIntosh (the writer, dummy) has that skill, and I'd like to shake his hand for remembering that for all the coolness of magic and guns and anarchy and mohawks, this is still a dystopia. Dystopias aren't supposed to feel good.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The only other game I can remember like that with an Evil route that actually made you feel like scum was Planescape: Torment. Like, there was nothing "fun" about your choices there, it was just a shithead doing bad things to good people.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Planescape: Tormenting people who deserve better

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

The only other game I can remember like that with an Evil route that actually made you feel like scum was Planescape: Torment. Like, there was nothing "fun" about your choices there, it was just a shithead doing bad things to good people.

On the other hand, the blow is lessened by remembering that you're already a criminal, thief, murderer, general shithead (aka a Shadowrunner).

Your daily reminder that Shadowrunners are NOT heroes (at best very dark anti-heroes) :downs:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Is there anyone who can be truly considered a hero? The best anyone can do in the sixth world is defend his community.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

By popular demand posted:

Is there anyone who can be truly considered a hero? The best anyone can do in the sixth world is defend his community.

Oh yes, agreed.

Shadowrun is a setting that's not defined by black and white or heroes and villains.

It's grey vs grey, shithead vs shithead. With varying shades of grey (in which the players usually represent the lighter shade, but not always).

Most heroics is defined by "looking after me and mine and gently caress the rest" sort of attitude.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
There are absolutely victims in Shadowrun, and it's 99% of the population. They're just not sexy enough to be protagonists, so you forget they exist.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

communism bitch posted:

There are absolutely victims in Shadowrun, and it's 99% of the population. They're just not sexy enough to be protagonists, so you forget they exist.

I wasn't saying that.

There's even generally good people in the sixth world. They're just not part of the narrative that is running the shadows.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I suppose that a crime boss who tortures his enemies to death but prevents anyone under his protection from being preyed upon by other gangs would be perfectly acceptable, as would the same thing on a corporate scale.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Good people are the ones you help out between runs, but when you're on a run you're doing bad things to bad people.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

mauman posted:

On the other hand, the blow is lessened by remembering that you're already a criminal, thief, murderer, general shithead (aka a Shadowrunner).

Your daily reminder that Shadowrunners are NOT heroes (at best very dark anti-heroes) :downs:

There's being an antihero, and then there's being God Emperor of Assholes to Dietrich.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

wiegieman posted:

Good people are the ones you help out between runs, but when you're on a run you're doing bad things to bad people.

Not necessarily bad people.

Your average security guard is a good(ish) person. He has a job and he's working in society. Perhaps people at the tippy top are doing bad things, but for 99% of the time he's just some average bloke who we likely just murdered (and yes as I mentioned earlier it qualifies as first degree murder every single time).

Oh, and I wasn't talking about being an rear end to Dietrich. I think that falls under my "got me and mine" heroics mentality.

The Lodge on the other hand...

Well, I've never said no to them (with one minor exception) because I felt it was hypocritical to do so. And also Shineys....oh yes the shinnneeeyyyss.

mauman fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 6, 2018

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Well, you stick-n-schock the guards, that's just professionalism. Besides, if you leave fewer bodies behind you then the corps won't come after you as hard.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

wiegieman posted:

Well, you stick-n-schock the guards, that's just professionalism. Besides, if you leave fewer bodies behind you then the corps won't come after you as hard.

the perfect run takes only copies of ludicrously expensive information, and leaves only footprints.

nobody has ever been on a perfect run, but the face swears that no, really, NEXT time-

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

As long as major PC archetypes are based around shooting guys in the face with a shotgun or gutting them with hand razors, there will be no perfect run.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Leaving footprints? Buncha rank amateurs in here.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Upgrade your cyberlimbs noobs.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the perfect run takes only copies of ludicrously expensive information, and leaves only footprints.

nobody has ever been on a perfect run, but the face swears that no, really, NEXT time-

The perfect run is when you transcend the need for subtlety because your running group consists of a peak posthuman living blender, a guy who can probably survive being cut into more than 2 separate equally sized pieces, the living embodiment of stealthiness who's also the world's greatest rifleman, and a rigger who's actually in a bomb shelter 2 miles away controlling a small army of drones, with air support.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And who are the other teammates?

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

The guy trying to convince security that this is all well above their paygrade, or that it never happened despite the building falling down behind them.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

wiegieman posted:

Yeah, I keep a magazine of stick-n-shock or gel rounds on my Street Sam when out on a run at all times for this reason alone, when the GM allows me to get my hands on it. Usually, they're good about that.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Gel rounds should be piss-easy to get just about anywhere. At least across developed nations they tend to be both publicly avaiable with less money and less legal hassle than even standard FMJ rounds.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

But gel rounds don't explode. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Magni posted:

Gel rounds should be piss-easy to get just about anywhere. At least across developed nations they tend to be both publicly avaiable with less money and less legal hassle than even standard FMJ rounds.

I usually try and get my GM to approve both stick-n-shock and EX-explosive ammo spare mag purchases for my main gun, but gel and APDS tend to be my backups if they decide to stick to the Availability rules. The GM I play with tended to be ok with it though.