Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Like, no matter how many tech journalists (lol) hype it up. I refuse to believe anything with this amount of fidelity and flexibility exists until the result is literally in my hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

AceOfFlames posted:

:same: It's going to be another bullshit layer in the "can I just talk to a loving HUMAN BEING" process while calling support lines.

Now instead of mashing zero at every menu item, you have give a Turing test to the voice on the other end of the line.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To be fair I don't think an imperfect AI would be noticeably worse than an outsourced call centre employee reading off a script.

In fact, given that AI could still be constrained in such a way to provide exactly the desired responses without having to follow a script or a flowchart so rigidly, it could easily be better until you reach a higher support tier.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

withak posted:

Now instead of mashing zero at every menu item, you have give a Turing test to the voice on the other end of the line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrP-_T-h9YM

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

MiddleOne posted:

Like, no matter how many tech journalists (lol) hype it up. I refuse to believe anything with this amount of fidelity and flexibility exists until the result is literally in my hand.

This is generally a safe bet with literally everything technological these days.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mods, can we have a new top-of-thread thread poll on how long before Uber is sold/merged for pennies on the dollar?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Can Uber have a "run on the bank" scenario with their investors?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

PT6A posted:

To be fair I don't think an imperfect AI would be noticeably worse than an outsourced call centre employee reading off a script.

In fact, given that AI could still be constrained in such a way to provide exactly the desired responses without having to follow a script or a flowchart so rigidly, it could easily be better until you reach a higher support tier.

The only thing I ever get out of phone AIs is “I’m sorry. I did not understand that. Press 1 to listen to the menu again.”

I pray for the day when all companies have text chat support, or websites that actually do something, because I loathe having to call companies.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

AceOfFlames posted:

"I'm sick of these outsourced call centers! Why can't I speak to some who speaks proper ENGLISH?"

*monkey finger curls*

https://gizmodo.com/google-is-reportedly-looking-to-take-over-call-centers-1827379911

I went on a rant in maybe the legal questions thread about how even the phone trees that require you to speak (and have no number options) are a big fat ADA violation because they don't work for people with even minor speech impairments (which don't require a TDD or relay service with a live person.) There will be so much worse.
Too bad the Republicans just gutted ada self-enforcement.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Do you think buying private untrading stock entitles to make a withdrawal from Uber account? You must to try to convince other investor to buy your stake and even then can only do with Uber approval.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Any money already invested is gone unless they were able to successfully sue for breach of fiduciary duty or fraud. However, most VC works by having stages of funding and milestones for getting money released. So even if a VC hooks up for a series of funding, the actual money won't necessarily transfer over until Uber can meet whatever requirements set up for it. I'm not sure how Uber's funding is currently structured; but they have received an assload of actual money that they've burnt so there are plenty of investors who could be out significant amounts of money with zero recourse.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Why do people believe that Uber is actually in bad financial shape?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blah_blah posted:

They’ve never made money, op.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

blah_blah posted:

Because they take a loss on every sale basically. Choice quote about their 2017 numbers

quote:

Despite a turbulent year for the ride-hailing company, sales were $7.5 billion. But the company also posted a substantial loss of $4.5 billion. There are few historical precedents for the scale of its loss.

Hmmm taking a loss of $4.5b on $7.5b of revenue? Why on Earth would anyone believe they're in bad shape. :iiam:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

blah_blah posted:

uber has never turned a profit and continues to spend tremendous amounts of money. the company has spent over ten billion dollars so far. this is all done as basically a big bet that uber will be able to establish a huge market and eventually raise rates and become profitable

however, uber's business model is extremely easy to copy and it is not clear that the company will be able to raise rates to a sustainable level without driving away all their customers to smaller competitors who aren't spending lavishly on expansion. even uber's drivers often drive for their competitors at the same time, there's no reason at all to assume people will continue to choose uber as a service if uber doubles their rates

meanwhile, uber is also involved in lots of goofy schemes like flying cars, freight brokerage, and self driving cars that aren't strictly aligned with their core business model of being a jumped up taxi company. all of which are pretty obviously just there to make big promises to attract more investment

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Raldikuk posted:

Because they take a loss on every sale basically. Choice quote about their 2017 numbers

Hmmm taking a loss of $4.5b on $7.5b of revenue? Why on Earth would anyone believe they're in bad shape. :iiam:

A guy I worked with in the 1990's became an exec at Amazon. I told him the same thing, about Amazon, in 2000.

I wrote:

quote:

Here s the point. It's very easy to adopt a  siege mentality.
You know & the sort of  everyone is out to get us but we true believers will
prevail nonsense. A very easy trap, and it s a comfortable trap as well.

The bottom line is this, you've got about $700m in cash and you lost almost $500m during the last 12 months of operation. I really want Amazon to succeed. I like shopping there.

His reply:

quote:

disagree with you. Best refutation would be Walt Mossberg's piece in
the journal last week -- the truth is that the more selection we offer,
the more valuable the service really is to people. If you want to just
buy books, fine, but a ton of folks find it very, very helpful to buy
more than that.

Second reason is that the kind of person that invents something like
Amazon.com is unlkely to want to play it safe. Stopping at books wd be
contrary to Jeff's fiber -- it's like suggesting that Microsoft stop at
DOS.

ANyway we love the excitement of delivering on the big dream. stay

tuned!!

Sept. 2000

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGameVet posted:

A guy I worked with in the 1990's became an exec at Amazon. I told him the same thing, about Amazon, in 2000.

I wrote:

His reply:

Sept. 2000

amazon famously invested in infrastructure to support a foundation of future growth

uber is investing mostly in expanding their brand without addressing the problem that they have no real infrastructure, just a shitload of contractors. it's possible that uber will spend twenty billion dollars simply on ensuring that people of the future call all app hailed taxis 'ubers' as a generic term like kleenex

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
So Uber is on fire and is barely alive, but what about Lyft? What are they doing differently?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

CongoJack posted:

So Uber is on fire and is barely alive, but what about Lyft? What are they doing differently?

Well they don't have Travis Kalanick being a walking PR disaster for one. And I think they're less aggressive about expanding with all the necessary short term losses that entails.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

CongoJack posted:

They’re not stealing rape victims’ medical records.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Lyft doesn't have as much toxic tech industry business practices going on, or at least they are better at keeping it under wraps.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

VideoGameVet posted:

I wrote:

His reply:

Sept. 2000

do you keep this email that's 18 years old around for a reason or what

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
the only thing i get from your post is that every old person, no matter what field they worked in, can't figure out how to delete emails

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Do you think buying private untrading stock entitles to make a withdrawal from Uber account? You must to try to convince other investor to buy your stake and even then can only do with Uber approval.

uber has debt financing as well. The terms of the debt allow for several different ways for debt holders to collect that do not involve getting anyone to buy more of uber.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-03-07/uber-technologies-is-said-to-seek-1-25-billion-in-loan-market

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

mandatory lesbian posted:

the only thing i get from your post is that every old person, no matter what field they worked in, can't figure out how to delete emails

Gmail would like to know why you would ever delete e-mails, now that they've invented this great thing called "search" (2004).

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

I wrote:

His reply:

Sept. 2000

Amazon is famous for its lackluster profit #'s, but throughout its history its net income has almost always been positive. Same for their operating cash flow. They run on the razor's edge pouring everything back into the business to grow it. Like your friend said with growing into new markets. The biggest investments that they made that have paid off is with AWS. And that itself came about because their business fundamentally needed that tech infrastructure under it to handle peak loads. Uber's comparable there would be autonomous vehicles. In 18 years I might have egg on my face cuz Uber is able to pull off the impossible, but I won't hold my breath.

The situation is not the same for Uber which has never had a year of positive net income and its only quarter to date where that was true was Q1'18 because of a sale of assets to a competitor. Uber loses a ton of money just offering the service they're in business for. They of course additionally lose a ton of money trying to expand into markets which they have no edge in. Their strategy is also to have their main product be a loss leader for a fantasy. Two in fact. The first is Uber's belief that they can create a monopoly in the scheduled-fare taxi market. The idea is that they can have cheap fares, get monopolistic market share, and then raise prices through the roof. As mentioned upthread, this is very unlikely because of how easy it is to copy Uber's model. There's the other problem that it simply isn't sustainable to churn through drivers at the rate Uber does. Their second fantasy is the belief that if they can hold out long enough while developing market share, that they can eventually eliminate the need for drivers with AV and solve their whole losing money on every transaction problem. Amazon ran razor thin margins in aggregate; but they never had their core business take a loss as a matter of doing business.

The only reason Uber hasn't flamed out already is that they are able to cajole more VC cash. Keeping that up is their best hope of staying alive in the short & medium term. Luckily for Uber capital is actively searching for high risk endeavors in the hopes of big payoffs.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Evil Robot posted:

Gmail would like to know why you would ever delete e-mails, now that they've invented this great thing called "search" (2004).

cause i see no value in keeping worthless emails around? thats the main reason anyway

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/bbhart_ca/status/1015406543641034752

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

:tinfoil: This is so they can release images from "right before" accidents showing the driver doing some dumb poo poo rather than their car being at fault.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Imagine Uber got everything they wanted (except the autonomous car pipedream stuff):
- Drivers are independent contractors, Uber isn't liable for anything they do
- Uber isn't covered by taxi laws and regulations
- Lyft and all other ridesharing companies go out of business

Uber jacks up their price and start raking in obscene profit.

At that point, there's nothing that stops Uber2 from entering the market.
- There's nothing risky or special about the software. A million or two and six months will get you an equivalent app+backend.
- Uber's already established that ridesharing is exempt from taxi laws, so there's no regulatory barrier
- The drivers are contractors. Uber2 can get them to be also be Uber2 drivers by increasing their pay per ride and cutting their obscene profit slightly. It's easy enough for a driver to run both apps.
- Uber2 can lure customers by charging them less and cutting obscene profit again (especially if drivers have Uber2 sticker alongside their Uber ones, so it's obvious that it's exactly the same people and service). No one is brand-loyal to Uber.

It's not the same situation as Amazon because building logistics and warehousing to sell people a huge variety of widgets with economical 2-day shipping is risky, expensive, and hard to build out incrementally. Starting Amazon2 to undercut them is a lot harder

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

The tesla beeps at you if you don't touch the wheel every x number of seconds, cadillac "super cruise" lets you drive hands free but vibrates your chair if it's eye tracking decides you aren't looking at the road enough. So they are probably getting in line with what other cars on the market do.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
1 good example of Uber being in a horrible business situation is that when they drastically cut driver pay in Honolulu literally everyone, both drivers and customers, switched to Lyft nearly overnight. They still haven't really recovered.

No one has loyalty to their brand because they are literally identical to all other taxi apps.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
There are a lot of unhappy Amazon shareholders because Amazon insists on plowing profits back into the business instead of issuing dividends or buying back stock at the scale other companies do.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
There are also a lot of happy Amazon shareholders because it's increased over 300% in the last four years.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mozi posted:

There are also a lot of happy Amazon shareholders because it's increased over 300% in the last four years.

But I want money noooow!

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

MickeyFinn posted:

:tinfoil: This is so they can release images from "right before" accidents showing the driver doing some dumb poo poo rather than their car being at fault.

Drivers React To Their Horrible Death By Car Crash

Be sure to Comment, Like and Subscribe

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

But I want money noooow!

Then just sell...?

Like trust me. There are no unhappy Amazon shareholders this year. The share price is exploding because, beyond the hype, everyone can see clear as day that Amazon is approaching a monopoly with the US legislative too paralyzed to do anything about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MiddleOne posted:

Then just sell...?

Like trust me. There are no unhappy Amazon shareholders this year. The share price is exploding because, beyond the hype, everyone can see clear as day that Amazon is approaching a monopoly with the US legislative too paralyzed to do anything about it.

Fair enough, I just thought that sums up end-stage capitalists.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MickeyFinn posted:

kinda - for liability purposes it is essential for first gen self driving cars to be able to prove (by the manufacturer or insurer) whether or not accidents could possibly be a machine defect or if the tech was misused

since everyone wants the tech so they can goof off instead of paying attention, which is exactly how you should not use the tech, manufacturers are very interested in this and it is likely to be ubiquitous soon. insurance companies have already been offering discounts for teen drivers for a decade if you point a camera at them which is how we get fun videos like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDWmwxQ_NnY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

luxury handset posted:

since everyone wants the tech so they can goof off instead of paying attention, which is exactly how you should not use the tech

This is exactly how level 4 self driving cars should be though. Anything less than that should not be advertised as self driving