Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1015278716962902016?s=21

That sure looks like Dalek Sec, based on the little ID plate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
well, bored at work, time to fire up wikipedia and take a quick spin around the

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Kafka%27s_It%27s_a_Wonderful_Life

:stare:

e: I mean I'm sure other people knew about it already but wow

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1015278716962902016?s=21

That sure looks like Dalek Sec, based on the little ID plate

"I'm still wearing that bloody cravat?!"

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I kind of love the idea of giving a Dalek claw arms and other gadgets. It feels like it shouldn't work, but somehow it does.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I kind of love the idea of giving a Dalek claw arms and other gadgets. It feels like it shouldn't work, but somehow it does.

Honestly about time they got rid of the toilet plunger

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yep, the previous Doctor was an Academy Award Winner and that rules.

He did a hilarious interview about how he blew all his money actually going to the ceremony and was trying to desperately work up the cash to get back to Scotland, the entire time thinking,"I have an Academy Award and I can't even get a reservation..."

Cleretic posted:

I was about to say, it looks like it is a homage to the original design for the Daleks that the BBC kiboshed because it was too complex/expensive.

Edit: Here it is:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 7, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Paradigm Daleks were supposed to have multiple, interchangeable arms. That's why the mid section was designed as it was. It was a track, and the arm would go to the back, and there was a hatch on the Dalek that led to where the other appendages were stored.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

The Paradigm Daleks were supposed to have multiple, interchangeable arms. That's why the mid section was designed as it was. It was a track, and the arm would go to the back, and there was a hatch on the Dalek that led to where the other appendages were stored.

Again, shame about how they never loving used them.

Seriously they had such a good set up for new Dalek stories- yeah they looked rubbish but you could work with that if the stories were good

Only no Dalek story after that was good, and they all just reused the RTD era props instead. Or had pointless cameos from older ones that didn't do anything!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Here's an idea of what it'd look like:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

How soon we forget the welder dalek from Parting of the Ways.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
There was a welder Dalek all the way back in The Daleks as well, wasn't there?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Burkion posted:

Again, shame about how they never loving used them.

Seriously they had such a good set up for new Dalek stories- yeah they looked rubbish but you could work with that if the stories were good

Only no Dalek story after that was good, and they all just reused the RTD era props instead. Or had pointless cameos from older ones that didn't do anything!

I liked the way they looked :shobon: they were big and chunky and menacing. The problem was they introduced them like some care bear power ranger poo poo. If they hadn’t of all been just hanging out in a control room together and/or used some more muted colors it would have been fine.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I remember there was a Dalek with a tray arm in The Daleks, maybe others? The Chase definitely had the flame squad.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

I remember there was a Dalek with a tray arm in The Daleks, maybe others? The Chase definitely had the flame squad.

"HEY! CAN SOME ONE LIGHT THE GRILLLLLL?"

"I WILL!"

"GOT IT!"

"NO PRO-BLEM!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Chokes McGee posted:

Well now I have this stuck in my head again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uaaF83eVig

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There were Daleks with machine guns in the City...

OF DEATH

King Plum the Nth
Oct 16, 2008

Jan 2018: I've been rereading my post history and realized that I can be a moronic bloviating asshole. FWIW, I apologize for most of everything I've ever written on the internet. In future, if I can't say something functional or funny, I won't say anything at all.

Chokes McGee posted:

I only sort of knew about it because I randomly just saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpKPnb5MoRs&t=157s
but didn't really know anything about Capaldi's film itself. So, thanks!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

There were Daleks with machine guns in the City...

OF DEATH

That’s not the title and you know it! <:mad:>

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The trailer for series four of River's Diary features a "hello, sweetie", but probably not the one you were expecting.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

The trailer for series four of River's Diary features a "hello, sweetie", but probably not the one you were expecting.

Ahahaha, of course he knows and of course he finds the entire idea absolutely delightful :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Box of Bunnies posted:

Oh god that’s fantastic :allears::3:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Rhyno posted:

OF DEATH

*twanggg!*

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm sure I vaguely remember seeing Daleks shooting gas one time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dabir posted:

I'm sure I vaguely remember seeing Daleks shooting gas one time.

From the Peter Cushing movies. Probably cheaper / looked better on film.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Exactly the reason. They rigged up fire extinguishers to the guns.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jerusalem posted:

Ahahaha, of course he knows and of course he finds the entire idea absolutely delightful :allears:

This is exactly what I wanted when the idea of River meeting older Doctors came up

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

I've never listened to Big Finish before, but how? How? When this comes out, I need one of you to explain to me how this development is possible.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Burkion posted:

This is exactly what I wanted when the idea of River meeting older Doctors came up

You know, listening to that trailer, I realized BF screwed up. Instead of having the various Doctors lose their memory after meeting River, what they should have done was have him always remember her, but have it hinted that he'll have his memory of her erased while in his 10th self

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I wonder if they'll go on further back and do something with Tim Treloar, Frazier Hines, and Peter Purves/William Russell,/David Bradley for 1-3 meeting River?

Once they do that (or if they don't), there's not much special event stuff they can do for her other than meeting Benny.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Astroman posted:

I wonder if they'll go on further back and do something with Tim Treloar, Frazier Hines, and Peter Purves/William Russell,/David Bradley for 1-3 meeting River?

Once they do that (or if they don't), there's not much special event stuff they can do for her other than meeting Benny.

Warner! :haw:

And by then they could probably do her meeting Jodie, if it hasn't happened on-screen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

I've never listened to Big Finish before, but how? How? When this comes out, I need one of you to explain to me how this development is possible.

Though never explicitly stated, it seems after Day of the Doctor that the whole temporal lock that very firmly divided the revival from the classic series is no longer quite so strict, and as a result River continually bumps into various earlier Doctors and has to do her best to manage them.

Probably the best was her meeting with 6 & 7, because she and 6 got on like a house on fire but 7 just infuriated her to no end because he wouldn't let her get one over on him/trick him into forgetting things he shouldn't know.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
New season of Doctor Who lookin real fly

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think they were going to use flamethrowers but decided it would be too scary.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think they were going to use flamethrowers but decided it would be too scary.

One arm a flamethrower, the other a fire extinguisher. The most ineffectual dalek.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Unkempt posted:

One arm a flamethrower, the other a fire extinguisher. The most ineffectual dalek.

Sometimes you only want something to burn for just a little bit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Potsticker posted:

Like a coercion dalek.

"MOVE!"
"No!"
<sets on fire>
"Ok, I'm moving!"
<puts them out>

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Like a coercion dalek.

"MOVE!"
"No!"
<sets on fire>
"Ok, I'm moving!"
<puts them out>

The "wishy-washy factor" was one of several that had to be isolated before the "human factor" was refined.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Potsticker posted:

And then you can burn it again, genius if you ask me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This is a shot in the dark, but I’m trying to make some shelf space by condensing my Classic DW dvds into season sets and I was wondering if there was a repository of hi-res promo shots and screens somewhere? I’m trying to make covers for the new cases that keep the style of the UK dvd cases, but there doesn’t seem to be a good source for promo material other than random googling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

These aren't bad, though they don't look like the classic series UK DVDs

https://www.deviantart.com/mrpacinohead/art/DOCTOR-WHO-CLASSIC-SERIES-4-255882434

• Locked thread