Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

why does luke still not believe in dragons when he's seen a fuckin dragon skeleton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For the same reason none of us were wowed by the reveal or felt it lived up to the DD S2 giant hole buildup or made for a satisfying mcguffin.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
hahahahahaha remember when so many people kept telling us not to focus on The Hole in DDS2 because it would surely get a big focus in Defenders and then it did and it sucked

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was just a dud of a big bad/villain/evil plot and it took the sails out of the show.

But that same thing does kind of explain why Luke wouldn't have said "Oh wow, a dragon skeleton! Its like going to the museum and seeing a T-Rex!" Like us all he really saw were some white boney rock things while he was punching ninjas.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Chokes McGee posted:

Me before season: *extremely white guy voice, pushing up glasses* oh gosh, I hope this season of Luke Cage is a good one
Me about 80% of the way in: SHE BURN DOWN DI OOMAN AN PIKNIES BOTH :stonk:

I know a lot of people found it hokey, but I really liked this season. Bushmaster and Luke both evolve over the course of the series in different directions. Also I want a Bushmaster series now :getin:

Haha, same!

The only really weird thing to me this season was the SportsCenter highlights of a street fight. Although it was after Luke's random pro football workout, so I guess it was within their coverage?

This was the campiest season of Netflix Marvel and I hope we get more of this.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, it was a celebrity thing tangentially related to the NFL. Of course it made Sportscenter.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I finished Luke Cage S2 and it was pretty good.

Still lolin about how Danny can't fake a fight. The fight against Bushmaster in episode 12 demonstrated that Luke, Misty, Shades and Bushmaster all knew how to work fight scenes. It was really well-done and intense. But that fight with Danny was incredibly bad, even if the character proved to be tolerable now. And that fight with Misty and Colleen they released as a clip was god awful. Who thought that was a good idea? And how did we go from that dogshit to the Bushmaster showdown in episode 12?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’m up to episode 8 and I’m really, really enjoying the season so far. The overarching story so far has been good and for the most part it’s been good but there have been some really, really, really, REALLY bad threads connecting scenes together. The most obvious one which just happened was during the fire at Maria’s house. So bushmaster starts the fire and leaves Mariah and daughter in the house. IMMEDIATELY the next scene is that kid running into the church to let Luke know the house is on fire. Oh so the kid just happened to be by Maria’s house then, after seeing the fire but not the Jamaicans leaving through the front door, goes running to the church. Oh ok I guess the fire must be done by the time Luke gets there. Actually the fire is exactly where it was on the first floor (but happen to spread to the other two floors) and Tilda has done absolutely NOTHING. The door wasn’t event locked. Tilda could have gone out and called for help. Or do literally anything at all.

Also at the beginning of the episode Luke manages to swim back to shore then immediately shows up at the church still drenched.

So basically Marvel TV New York is the size of GTA3.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Really hope they remember next season that Luke Cage is the undefeated underground fight club champion of Seagate. It's rather tiresome that dude can't do poo poo other than throw lazy haymakers and get beat the gently caress up by anyone who shows up with super powers.

Hakkesshu posted:

why does luke still not believe in dragons when he's seen a fuckin dragon skeleton

More pointedly, he saw giant sky dragons invade New York only to be beaten back by a Mythic God and a Hulk. Why does anyone doubt Danny's seen a dragon at all?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Defenders 2 Pitch: Bushmaster gets some dragon bones, uses them to bring Mariah back so he can kill her again. No one interferes.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Gyges posted:

Really hope they remember next season that Luke Cage is the undefeated underground fight club champion of Seagate. It's rather tiresome that dude can't do poo poo other than throw lazy haymakers and get beat the gently caress up by anyone who shows up with super powers.

I'd imagine a few years of being indestructible and actively avoiding any kind of conflict would dull those skills, plus in most situations he's probably at least a little worried that a solid right cross would kill the person he's fighting.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Dreylad posted:

yeah true, if I notice it then it must have been like a bludgeon for other people

I actually thought at the beginning "it would be hilarious if they di-...HA, THEY DID IT"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Parkingtigers posted:

I still can't get over how Defenders, which I liked, essentially poo poo the bed by having the huge villainous plot be... [checks notes] securing an ongoing supply of the stuff that lets them be immortal ninjas before it runs out? All that build up about a mysterious giant hole in the ground across various shows and even if the bad guys get their heart's desire, their heart's desire is to simply be no worse off than they are now. HOW VERY AMBITIOUS.

Even that I might have bought if the ninjas carried on being badass ninjas, but first Iron Fist and then Defenders just makes them a gang of regular dudes (apart from the immortality thing) for the most part.

I feel like after the final episode or two of Daredevil S2 had the ninjas act like incompetent mooks that are easily defeated and the "black sky" thing turned out to just be some dumb prophecy poo poo no one cares about, the people behind the Netflix Marvel stuff went into panic mode because everyone on social media started calling the ninjas lame, and their idea to make something cooler than immortal badass ninjas was a bunch of old people in a boardroom talking about their retirement plans.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So basically Marvel TV New York is the size of GTA3.

In fairness Harlem isn't "New York" or even "Manhattan." Its a couple miles of neighborhood. A GTA map is actually probably quite a bit larger. That's still big and I agree that scene was a little "wait, what?" But in fairness I don't remember them giving exact addresses for either location so its not out of the question they were around the block from each other. But it was definitely a jarring sequence.

Now I'm kind of curious to go back and actually listen to the street names and landmarks since the show does actually mention them a lot and see if I can figure out the geography.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 6, 2018

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
all they had to do was use black sky to make an army of undead zombie ninjas, like a billion of em, and they all fight and a billion mooks just overwhelm them and they're gonna die but then punisher pops out of nowhere with a minigun and cuts the entire room in half(murdock hears the bullet chain and tells everybody important to get down) and that kills enough of them to make it a tough but winnable fight. so punisher gets to be part of the final battle but more of a force of nature than a team member

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Or, and hear me out: Get charismatic actors to play interesting and fleshed-out villains that the audience actually cares about, and then have them challenge the heroes in inventive ways and with memorable fighting styles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Phenotype posted:

Or, and hear me out: Get charismatic actors to play interesting and fleshed-out villains that the audience actually cares about, and then have them challenge the heroes in inventive ways and with memorable fighting styles.

They did that, but then Elektra showed up.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phenotype posted:

umm excuse but the focus group said to me the kids love these horde mode vido games now so the bad guy has to be horde mode. make that.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

By the way, I finished Jessica Jones S2 a couple of weeks ago and maybe I was too goddamn bored to notice, but am I nuts or did they completely ignore the fact that she straight up murdered a dude and faked a suicide scene with him? For someone so wigged out about killing the Purple Man, that should have been driving her crazy the rest of the drat season

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They didn't "ignore" it. It had thematic implications and did actually at least temporarily "drive her crazy" with the Killgrave hallucinations and tied into her conflicted feelings about her mom and whether or not she was just destined to be a violent monster like her. I mean, I don't know if it was fully dealt with in a satisfying way, but it definitely had some narrative follow through.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 7, 2018

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

By the way, I finished Jessica Jones S2 a couple of weeks ago and maybe I was too goddamn bored to notice, but am I nuts or did they completely ignore the fact that she straight up murdered a dude and faked a suicide scene with him? For someone so wigged out about killing the Purple Man, that should have been driving her crazy the rest of the drat season

It's been a while, but I seem to remember it weighed heavily upon her afterwards as a sign that her and her mother might be more alike than JJ would prefer.

It could also have been a contributing factor to her eventually making the decision to take them on that road trip, and her anger at patsy for wanting powers of her own to be a vigilante with, when JJ's and her mother's powers only seem to bring misery into their lives when they try to solve problems with them..

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

ShakeZula posted:

I'd imagine a few years of being indestructible and actively avoiding any kind of conflict would dull those skills, plus in most situations he's probably at least a little worried that a solid right cross would kill the person he's fighting.

It's not that his skills are dull or that he's tentative about power punching guys. When he fights someone with super powers he forgets all fight training and fights like a drunk dude who's never been in a fight before. Just wild swings with little to no defense, and all the imposing skill of Finn Iron Fist. While he often simply stands still or otherwise uses minimal movement against normal people, he does also show actual attacks.

Look how he keeps his hands, always just a little above the waist. I'm pretty sure he's supposed to have a boxing past, at least keep those hands up a little bit. Also his legs are always planted and shoulder width, at least do some movement with them things. Admittedly it wasn't as bad vs Diamondback who used a similar "style", but against Bushmaster it looked horrible. The best super fight for Luke Cage remains when Killgrave mind controlled him into attacking Jessica.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I just now finally watched Jessica Jones s2, and I'm very mixed on it. There was some good stuff there, but also some rambling poo poo that seemed to just kind of go on. As well the whole season felt very mean to Trish, I mean, I know what they were going for initially with the relapsing addict thing, but, as it kept going on it really seemed to just break apart anything decent about her character from the first season.

I dunno, wasn't a huge fan of that turn.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

counterfeitsaint posted:

Just to save ol' captain and the rest of the thread some time I'll get this out of the way now.

Something hyperbole something something hyperbole!

You're right it's bad

I'm touched that you care so much about what I think, friend. I'll let you know when the thread becomes hyperbolic again, don't worry.

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

breaking with the cops and misty to become the underworld boss of harlem though? finally luke is going places I can appreciate. still spent the season rooting for Bushmaster

Isn't one of the central premises of this show that a black man in a hoodie isn't necessarily a criminal? I feel like he's giving into a stereotype here. I hope they go someplace interesting to justify it in season 3.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I just finished watching the seventh episode so I think this is a good place to ask if I should finish watching this? I don't necessarily think it's bad, but it's just not pulling me in. I still really like Shades and Shades / Comanche was interesting, but I just get the feeling the big mid-season poo poo swerve is coming and they're going to do something dumb like Bushmaster kills Shades and hooks up with Mariah in the last episode. I don't really care about Luke / Claire or Luke / his dad or Shades / Mariah or Misty / her arm or Bushmaster / Mariah's daughter. The way they just Cottonmouth'd Comanche has me wondering if I really want to bother with the last six episodes. I could just as easily start watching Cloak and Dagger instead.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Heathen posted:

I just finished watching the seventh episode so I think this is a good place to ask if I should finish watching this? I don't necessarily think it's bad, but it's just not pulling me in. I still really like Shades and Shades / Comanche was interesting, but I just get the feeling the big mid-season poo poo swerve is coming and they're going to do something dumb like Bushmaster kills Shades and hooks up with Mariah in the last episode. I don't really care about Luke / Claire or Luke / his dad or Shades / Mariah or Misty / her arm or Bushmaster / Mariah's daughter. The way they just Cottonmouth'd Comanche has me wondering if I really want to bother with the last six episodes. I could just as easily start watching Cloak and Dagger instead.

There is no mid-season swerve, remarkably enough. It's a steady beat of everyone in a downward spiral.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Gyges posted:

More pointedly, he saw giant sky dragons invade New York only to be beaten back by a Mythic God and a Hulk. Why does anyone doubt Danny's seen a dragon at all?

Wouldn't he have been in prison at that point? The Battle of NY was pretty far in the rearview when the Netflix shows start.

But him denying dragons didn't seem unrealistic to me. I work with people who could see an actual space-whale-dragon emerge through an interdimensional portal and still deny much lesser things just because they haven't actually seen one.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I thought the shades and Comanche relationship was cool and good. I kind of wish they were the power couple at the end of the season but what can you do? I hope they do interesting things with shades in s3, I've grown to like his character and mannerisms a lot

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Penpal posted:

I thought the shades and Comanche relationship was cool and good. I kind of wish they were the power couple at the end of the season but what can you do? I hope they do interesting things with shades in s3, I've grown to like his character and mannerisms a lot

Well he’s off to prison and there’s obviously only one prison in NY so he’ll team up with Fisk and go from there..

Jeroen
Jun 2, 2004
I have been accused of a stalker!
Nine seasons in, I'd probably rank it like this

Jessica Jones S1
The Punisher
Daredevil S1
Luke Cage S2
Daredevil S2
Luke Cage S1
Jessica Jones S2
The Defenders
Iron Fist

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Just started going through Luke Cage Season 2 and so far my favorite moment is Misty finding Cockroach's headless body intercut with the clapping from Mariah's unveiling. That was some superb editing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
This season is intentionally reflective of the brewing modern leftist political climate.

Basically, after years of being utterly hogtied by :decorum: it starts to sink in that you literally cannot hope to win a game in which one side plays by the rules and the other side doesn’t.

You both have to play by the same set of rules, and if you don’t, the person better at breaking them will win.

Luke Cage breaks a very important rule... you can’t kill him.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I was thinking about this today, and what is it with every second season of marvel netflix shows ailinating friends?

Daredevil and foggy fall out and split. They turn trish into a monster who kills Jessica's mom so they fall out. Luke becomes a crime boss and alienates Misty and Clair in the final scene, not to mention his barber shop friend.

Does this have to just keep happening? Can't anyone have strong and healthy relationships? I get that there's a lot of drama in that but it's starting to feel formulaic.

The worst of it was Trish. I can't believe how far they went to turn this fantastic, healthy, friendship that went both ways, between two people very damaged by their youths, into this crazy situation where it becomes a one way street, and Trish is now just a petty user, whos always been jealous and goes out of her way to shoot Jessica's mom right in front of her face and splatter blood over her.

They made her completely irrideamable for the entire future of the show. There is no possible coming back from that. Why was that necessary for drama? The falling off the wagon addict plot was plenty.

It just felt they were trying so hard to be grim they ruined the best and healthiest relationship in any of these shows, and for the two most damaged people.

...and then there's iron fist, who god willing, in s2 will alienate Colleen, and he'll leave and the show will become about her.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you are literally super human, it can become hard to identify with humans.

As you become more than human you have no choice but to shed some of your humanity because you have a new perspective.

Honestly the best character for this is Spider-Man, he makes Batman and Superman look amazing when you see the tattered ruins he leaves his personal life in over the course of his career.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Jeroen posted:

Nine seasons in, I'd probably rank it like this

Jessica Jones S1
The Punisher
Daredevil S1
Luke Cage S2
Daredevil S2
Luke Cage S1
Jessica Jones S2
The Defenders
Iron Fist

That's a solid ranking, just swap any two adjacent titles for personal taste. (I'd put Defenders above JJ2 if only because I actually like Jessica in Defenders. Otherwise it's hard to argue with.)

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Just wrapped up the finale. A devastating confluence of tragedies, closing most of the main storylines while opening new ones. This was a great season despite the kinda rough start. A fine sendoff for Reg Cathey.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Parkingtigers posted:

That's a solid ranking, just swap any two adjacent titles for personal taste. (I'd put Defenders above JJ2 if only because I actually like Jessica in Defenders. Otherwise it's hard to argue with.)

I don't get all the hate for Defenders to be perfectly honest. I would put it above Jessica Jones S2 and probably Daredevil S2 and Luke Cage S1 as well. It's close as far as those last two go, but Defenders didn't have quite as many storyline and pacing issues because it wasn't trying to fill ~4 more episodes than it needed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I don't get all the hate for Defenders to be perfectly honest.

Sorry. I hope there's surgery for that.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

Defenders had its moments but it, like all things the Hand touches, was ruined by the corniest villains possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
With regard to the end of Luke Cage Season 2...y'know, the idea that organized crime keeps a lid on random, constant, spontaneous "street crime" is propaganda that organized crime syndicates really want you to believe. I can't think of a time and place it's ever been true in practice.

Phenotype posted:

I don't get all the hate for Defenders to be perfectly honest.
It's a show built around fight scenes, and they aren't up to snuff.

Tom Guycot posted:

I was thinking about this today, and what is it with every second season of marvel netflix shows ailinating friends?
The second installment of a franchise always has to end on a down note, and since Marvel tends to make all its stories about character relationships...