Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm still waiting for the episode where they visit an alien sex planet like Risa. Now that's good syfy sci fi!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Aww jeah

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Morphix posted:

I'm just here to bring you my hot take unsullied by the internet except hearing first of its cancellation on the internet/hype and proceeding to binge watch it

Season 1, some great tv storytelling and entertainment, I am hooked

Seasons 2 by episode 3 I was ready to throw in the towel on the show, it does this thing that I hate shows doing which is every character pairing off and having their intense interpersonal moment, like the ezbake create a dramatic scene is have to characters talk very intensely aboout an issue but always resolve it within the scene.

This loving show in Seasons 2 and 3 takes this to the maaaaaax. like 7/10 out of scenes are two characters we shouldn't be wasting any loving time hearing about their feelings or backstories or fuuuuucking get on with the loving aliens aaaAaaaagh you have such a cool concept but gently caress me lets have another conversation about loyalty and pissing around

I totes get why this show got cancelled. I'm at s3e4 and I hate entire pacing of the show, the first season was so loving good and its like they blew they whole load there and turned the show into a space melodrama.

and that fuckian tao moa mad asian bio tech guy suddenly becoming evil at the end of whatever episode i just watch, like gently caress this show forever, gently caress you show, what happend to you between season 3 and 1

if amazon is doing like season 4 of this show, fire all the loving actors and whatever writers were added in s2/3. just start over, kill everyone off, or they're busy, or whatever, this is an interplantery war that could be spanning months of time each seasons, gently caress maybe even years, and instead we have to waste time one more touching the gang eats food together scene

edit like how the gently caress did so little happen in seasons 2, how are we just at the starting of this alien colony on venus mid season 3, like I get each season needs a story arc for a hook with some cliff hanger to keep you waiting, but this shits going to be like season 9 before I ever see any full scale alien vs human battles, or watch the playout of maybe a mass excition event, gently caress there are so many fun things you can touch on with this simple premise and its like

I don't think you "get" this show, homie.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm still waiting for the episode where they visit an alien sex planet like Risa. Now that's good syfy sci fi!

That reminds me: I haven't seen the original Battlestar Galactica, but this bit from a synopsis of the pilot makes it sound like some good syfy

quote:

Down on Carillon, Apollo and Starbuck gradually discover that something is amiss when they see strangers walking around clad in the uniforms of their squadron, and after some investigation they discover the truth behind the planet's prosperity. The natives of Carillon, the insectoid Ovions, have set up the gambling resort to lure humans to them to serve as living food for their hatching larvae in their underground chambers. They are also secretly in league with the Cylons and mine the tylium solely for their purposes in exchange for their freedom, and they are cooperating in the Cylons' efforts to eradicate the human fugitives. During a subsequent fight with Cylon Centurions, the laser fire from both parties sets the tylium mines on fire, threatening to destroy the planet once the fire rages fully out of control.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Morphix posted:

I'm just here to bring you my hot take unsullied by the internet except hearing first of its cancellation on the internet/hype and proceeding to binge watch it

Seasons 2 by episode 3 I was ready to throw in the towel on the show, it does this thing that I hate shows doing which is every character pairing off and having their intense interpersonal moment, like the ezbake create a dramatic scene is have to characters talk very intensely aboout an issue but always resolve it within the scene.

This loving show in Seasons 2 and 3 takes this to the maaaaaax. like 7/10 out of scenes are two characters we shouldn't be wasting any loving time hearing about their feelings or backstories or fuuuuucking get on with the loving aliens aaaAaaaagh you have such a cool concept but gently caress me lets have another conversation about loyalty and pissing around

I totes get why this show got cancelled. I'm at s3e4 and I hate entire pacing of the show, the first season was so loving good and its like they blew they whole load there and turned the show into a space melodrama.

and that fuckian tao moa mad asian bio tech guy suddenly becoming evil at the end of whatever episode i just watch, like gently caress this show forever, gently caress you show, what happend to you between season 3 and 1

if amazon is doing like season 4 of this show, fire all the loving actors and whatever writers were added in s2/3. just start over, kill everyone off, or they're busy, or whatever, this is an interplantery war that could be spanning months of time each seasons, gently caress maybe even years, and instead we have to waste time one more touching the gang eats food together scene

edit like how the gently caress did so little happen in seasons 2, how are we just at the starting of this alien colony on venus mid season 3, like I get each season needs a story arc for a hook with some cliff hanger to keep you waiting, but this shits going to be like season 9 before I ever see any full scale alien vs human battles, or watch the playout of maybe a mass excition event, gently caress there are so many fun things you can touch on with this simple premise and its like

It took me until the fifth paragraph to realize this wasn't talking about Battlestar Galactica.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Did GBS put you up to this? Be truthful now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kazinsal posted:

Did GBS put you up to this? Be truthful now.

That means more than two of them would have to agree on something.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/1015400350335971328

Hope the new writers fix that guy's problem

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i hope they know how to write alein battles

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

sebmojo posted:

i hope they know how to write alein battles

Next season better be Holden and Amos doing non stop kung-fu against aliens

Alex will do the ship kung fu

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Next season better be Holden and Amos doing non stop kung-fu against aliens

naomi will go HOLDEN!! in trhat accent (and fix stuff)

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I want to watch the protomolecule gently caress

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Morphix posted:

The first season was terrible compared to 2 and 3 lol, the heck wrong with you boy

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

What is this

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

ooooohhhh boy

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You see, once there was an incredible show called Babylon 5, and it was good.

And then they made a TV movie called In the Beginning, and it was excellent.

And then, they kept making movies. And they should not have done this.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Specifically, that one had a ship where the gunner dropped into a zero G VR sphere below the bridge, and fired the guns by punching. It was called Legend of the Rangers, and was meant to be the launching point for a new spinoff series that was wisely not picked up.

The only good thing about it was one last appearance by G'Kar

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 8, 2018

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Morphix posted:

Dumb words

Haha. "Characters talking to each other? Get the gently caress out of here I want muh aliens!"

Like people like what they like I guess, but you seem to have completely and totally missed the point of this show. The characters being characters instead of just bodies for action to happen around is kind of a thing that good dramas do.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Morphix posted:

is this some kind of meme?

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Elias_Maluco posted:

is this some kind of meme?

From your lips to Kek’s ear.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQLZff9ioko

Oh my god it's so much worse than I remembered

Edit: now in HD!

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 8, 2018

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Morphix posted:

Sir this is Martian prison

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

sebmojo posted:

This drama has too many people in it, people talking to each other.

Sometimes within the same episode you will have multiple pairings of soldiers talking about loyalty. The first 3 episodes of season 2 were basically spent loving around on repairs while this GIANT CLIFFHANGER got delayed.

I have no problem with drama, I get that this isn't a documentary or history. But the first season made it seem like they wouldn't focus on any one specific character too much and instead focus on telling this interesting interplanetary story. There was hints of commorodiarty, some relationships building, some being betrayed but s2/3... like how many times do I have to listen to that one black OPA girl have to explain why shes OPA and what that REALLY means. Why does the hosed up childhood grunt have to let us know how hosed up he is multiple times in a season. Why does he feel he needs to explain himself constantly. Like every character NEEDS to have at least one 'whoa man you really don't GET me' conversation per episode with each other.

I mean it can be interesting, but in small doses.

Collapsing Farts posted:

The first season was terrible compared to 2 and 3 lol, the heck wrong with you boy

I have no idea how anyone can say that. I mean if you like wall produced shlock sure, nothing against that. But the first season was interesting, the 2/3 is every multi-actor show where instead of focusing on the overall narrative (because they either don't know how to develop it further or because its easy as gently caress to write another 'soldier isn't sure about which side of the war he's fighting on' two shot scene) they are constantly reminding you about the interpersonal drama between characters. Like did I really have to listen to yet another Mars marine not sure about their loyalty. In Season 3 it's super dumb because you have the main Mars chick doing her badassery to save the diplomat lady, and than the NEXT loving episode is 'oh here is 3 more mars marine with same conflict lets explore that again!'

I'm not trying to be a contrarian here, but ya gently caress this show. I'll still finish season 3 because I'm in too deep and you still get glimpses of the brilliance of season 1

BlackJosh posted:

Haha. "Characters talking to each other? Get the gently caress out of here I want muh aliens!"

Like people like what they like I guess, but you seem to have completely and totally missed the point of this show. The characters being characters instead of just bodies for action to happen around is kind of a thing that good dramas do.

Let me be clear, it's the shear repetition of the exact same conversation with new bodies standing in that's frustrating. Like every scene where I see one character hanging out, about to be joined by another 'who they aren't quite sure about yet' is dead space to me. And I wasn't exaggerating when I said 7/10 scenes in Season 2 or 3 are like this. Go back and watch the poo poo, it's such a paint by numbers adventure.

anyway that's my morning coffee rant.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 8, 2018

sw0cb
Feb 18, 2007

Morphix posted:

Sometimes within the same episode you will have multiple pairings of soldiers talking about loyalty. The first 3 episodes of season 2 were basically spent loving around on repairs while this GIANT CLIFFHANGER got delayed.

I have no problem with drama, I get that this isn't a documentary or history. But the first season made it seem like they wouldn't focus on any one specific character too much and instead focus on telling this interesting interplanetary story. There was hints of commorodiarty, some relationships building, some being betrayed but s2/3... like how many times do I have to listen to that one black OPA girl have to explain why shes OPA and what that REALLY means. Why does the hosed up childhood grunt have to let us know how hosed up he is multiple times in a season. Why does he feel he needs to explain himself constantly. Like every character NEEDS to have at least one 'whoa man you really don't GET me' conversation per episode with each other.

I mean it can be interesting, but in small doses.

I have no idea how anyone can say that. I mean if you like wall produced shlock sure, nothing against that. But the first season was interesting, the 2/3 is every multi-actor show where instead of focusing on the overall narrative (because they either don't know how to develop it further or because its easy as gently caress to write another 'soldier isn't sure about which side of the war he's fighting on' two shot scene) they are constantly reminding you about the interpersonal drama between characters. Like did I really have to listen to yet another Mars marine not sure about their loyalty. In Season 3 it's super dumb because you have the main Mars chick doing her badassery to save the diplomat lady, and than the NEXT loving episode is 'oh here is 3 more mars marine with same conflict lets explore that again!'

I'm not trying to be a contrarian here, but ya gently caress this show. I'll still finish season 3 because I'm in too deep and you still get glimpses of the brilliance of season 1

Why are you watching this show if you hate the plot and the characters? The show is written by the same dudes who wrote the books, in fact its probably one of the most faithful and well done novel adaptations I've seen. Your brain broke son

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

sw0cb posted:

Why are you watching this show if you hate the plot and the characters?

I don't hate the plot or the characters. I hate the pacing of the plot and the characters in Season 2 and 3. I explicitly hate that back to back to back you'll have a scene where two characters talk about the same poo poo they talked about previously in an episode. And if it's not those two characters we will introduce two more and have the same topic covered by these two fresh faces.

I'm not sure how to make that more clear. The show already recaps every thing at the start of the show, yet it's like that isn't enough, I need to be reminded yet again of why this hosed up grunt is sad because ~childhood~. It's so frustrating. It feels like Game of Thrones in space to me, which gently caress that show as well.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

You should watch the remainder of season 3 and make your decision then, I think.

There's a lot to unpack here, but Martian marines not sure about their loyalty? All the Martian marines are gung-ho FuckTheEarth at all times, even arguing with their commanders that they should get to go kill people more often. The only wavering is from Bobbie after she finds out that Mars was involved in the PM stuff.

You seem genuine enough that I don't think you're trolling, but the show has always been more of a Game of Thrones political thriller than a Star Wars war story. It really feels like you're missing the forest for the trees if you just want more aliens all the time. It's more about watching this realistic world, with all its different elements, interact and respond to events.

e: I'm also not sure about the repetition you complain about, I'd have to do a rewatch to see, but it sounds like it didn't stand out to anyone else. I certainly didn't notice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
In real life, people repeat topics all the time. This is a show about people.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Phenotype posted:

You should watch the remainder of season 3 and make your decision then, I think.

There's a lot to unpack here, but Martian marines not sure about their loyalty? All the Martian marines are gung-ho FuckTheEarth at all times, even arguing with their commanders that they should get to go kill people more often. The only wavering is from Bobbie after she finds out that Mars was involved in the PM stuff.

1) the lady mars marine who defects, we get 2 episodes exploring loyalty
2) the follow episode we get those stranded mars marines who try to take the ship, again whose the bad guys really?!
3) if it's not the mars marines, it's the OPA soldiers having this conversation. If it's not the OPA is the Earth soldiers. And if it's not them it's some bum gently caress trader who has to think about their loyalty. And this is just the 'who are my friends really' thing, they do this with everything. Is science bad? Find out by having multiple scenes stretching multiple episodes of characters talking about this. In the exact same manner.

Again I don't care about the fact that Martians are loyal or that the show emphasizes this alot because of plot reasons. It's just it does it over and over and over with every theme and idea. I'm just picking on the loyalty thing because it stands out so much.

e- the reason it's frustrating personally, is it reminds of me the Game of Thrones dragon thing. And how they honeydicked you for god knows how many seasons with it. Always talking about it, but never really advancing the story in front of you, just talking about it being advanced and how that FEELS. Same thing here. I want this universe to rally against a common cause, to maybe lose, gently caress whatever. But instead we get yet another scene of scientists talking about the experiment and is it okay for humans to gently caress other humans. The entire Season 1 arc was about this, the whole 100k people dying, but nah that wasn't enough, gently caress it lets throw in a small girl into the next season and do it all again.

e2- just to be clear I really really loved Season 1. Like some of the best TV watching I've had in a long time. That's the only reason I'm kind of heated about 2/3. It feels like so much wasted opportunity.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 8, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You seem to want a show where there are clear good guys and bad guys. This isn't that show, and it isn't realistic.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Cojawfee posted:

You seem to want a show where there are clear good guys and bad guys. This isn't that show, and it isn't realistic.

I don't understand how you come away with that impression. The nuance of the first season is what I enjoyed. Wasting yet another season on scientists doing a bad thing thinking it's good for humanity isn't that. It's lazy writing and doing their loving best to stretch this premise out to god knows how many seasons.

e-1 especially when that bad thing they're doing, like you just had so many episodes in Season 1 covering the topic. Yet gently caress it lets do it season 2 and 3 as well because ~wow isn't space a moral gray area', like I got it show, I got it the first time you killed 100k people, you don't loving need to keep reminding me that sometimes good people do bad things. Seriously go rewatch the show and pick any interesting topic from Season 1 and see how often that theme/idea is repeated in this same two characters talking about it way. Meanwhile the giant alien war we could be exploring, meh lets just leave that for the cliffhangers. like fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Morphix fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jul 8, 2018

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Morphix posted:

I don't understand how you come away with that impression. The nuance of the first season is what I enjoyed. Wasting yet another season on scientists doing a bad thing thinking it's good for humanity isn't that. It's lazy writing and doing their loving best to stretch this premise out to god knows how many seasons.

I don't think you're going to convince many people of whatever bizarre interpretation of the show that you have

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Okay, yeah, I can kinda see that. The whole arc with the PM mutant soldiers was kinda redundant theme-wise, didn't really do much that wasn't covered by Eros. I wonder how the show would look if we cut right from Eros to "Three Months Later" and the ringsquid rising from Venus.

Thing is, I would watch at least half a season that was just about Miller running around solving crimes and hustling people on Ceres. The world is so well-realized that I don't think most people minded spending more time watching them slowly learn about the PM not being as dead as they thought. I never even thought about that until you pointed it out. I just liked seeing more about how Belters or whoever react in a crisis, how the Ganymede refugees got treated, etc.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you want a show about a war among crazy advanced aliens I would stop watching this and pick up Babylon 5 because you're going to continue to be disappointed. The Expanse is about humans making a lot of mistakes playing with toys they don't understand.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Morphix posted:

e-1 especially when that bad thing they're doing, like you just had so many episodes in Season 1 covering the topic. Yet gently caress it lets do it season 2 and 3 as well because ~wow isn't space a moral gray area', like I got it show, I got it the first time you killed 100k people, you don't loving need to keep reminding me that sometimes good people do bad things. Seriously go rewatch the show and pick any interesting topic from Season 1 and see how often that theme/idea is repeated in this same two characters talking about it way. Meanwhile the giant alien war we could be exploring, meh lets just leave that for the cliffhangers. like fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Did you switch medications recently? This is borderline schizophrenic rambling. You aren't picking up on anything we aren't, you're just making up junk in your head about what the show should be then getting angry it isn't doing that. Like where did you pull dwelling on 100k deaths every episode from? That poo poo is just strange. It literally never happened. You made that up in your head. You have a really weird chip on your shoulder over a sci if tv show. Probably the healthiest choice is to stop watching as stop talking about it.

Giant alien war we could be exploring? That's loving retarded. I think you meant to watch star trek discovery. This show is never going to be that.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 8, 2018

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Yeah I guess finish season 3 and forget about it. This show is never gonna be what you hoped it was. Maybe it’s success will bring on a new wave of sci-fi.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The expanse should be more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQLZff9ioko

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Morphix posted:

1) the lady mars marine who defects, we get 2 episodes exploring loyalty
2) the follow episode we get those stranded mars marines who try to take the ship, again whose the bad guys really?!
3) if it's not the mars marines, it's the OPA soldiers having this conversation. If it's not the OPA is the Earth soldiers. And if it's not them it's some bum gently caress trader who has to think about their loyalty. And this is just the 'who are my friends really' thing, they do this with everything. Is science bad? Find out by having multiple scenes stretching multiple episodes of characters talking about this. In the exact same manner.

Again I don't care about the fact that Martians are loyal or that the show emphasizes this alot because of plot reasons. It's just it does it over and over and over with every theme and idea. I'm just picking on the loyalty thing because it stands out so much.

e- the reason it's frustrating personally, is it reminds of me the Game of Thrones dragon thing. And how they honeydicked you for god knows how many seasons with it. Always talking about it, but never really advancing the story in front of you, just talking about it being advanced and how that FEELS. Same thing here. I want this universe to rally against a common cause, to maybe lose, gently caress whatever. But instead we get yet another scene of scientists talking about the experiment and is it okay for humans to gently caress other humans. The entire Season 1 arc was about this, the whole 100k people dying, but nah that wasn't enough, gently caress it lets throw in a small girl into the next season and do it all again.

e2- just to be clear I really really loved Season 1. Like some of the best TV watching I've had in a long time. That's the only reason I'm kind of heated about 2/3. It feels like so much wasted opportunity.

what the gently caress are you talking about with this "it's all about loyalty" poo poo? where is this coming from

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Phenotype posted:

Okay, yeah, I can kinda see that. The whole arc with the PM mutant soldiers was kinda redundant theme-wise, didn't really do much that wasn't covered by Eros. I wonder how the show would look if we cut right from Eros to "Three Months Later" and the ringsquid rising from Venus.

Exactly. Like I so wish we could just skip a few months or years if the plot requires it. But instead Miller meets the gang in end of Season 1 and right at the start of s2 we have to estalibsh once again that trusting people is hard, and whose really the bad guy, and whatever. Like motherfuckers you just met each other 2 hours ago, maybe have that conversation after you do the important story thing you hinted at at the end of Season1.

CainsDescendant posted:

I don't think you're going to convince many people of whatever bizarre interpretation of the show that you have

I mean at the end of the day who cares, the show I liked isn't turning out the way I want it to be, the end. If you still enjoy it, more power to you. I guess I'm just shocked noone else has picked up how repetitive this show is. Maybe it's something you only really notice when you binge watch it?

Lt. Danger posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about with this "it's all about loyalty" poo poo? where is this coming from

What? I mean seriously? It's like one of the main themes of the show. Who can you trust. It's constantly getting repeated, from OPA to Belters, to Earth to Earth, Mars to Earth, Mars to Mars, and with a revolving cast of characters from these backgrounds, all having a variation of the same conversation, which boils down too "whoa can I really trust you?!." I'm not saying word for word the same conversation happens (although honestly sometimes it feels like it), but the theme/ideas get repeated over and over, like literally sometimes multiple times within the same episode.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

I dunno, the more I think about it, the more the whole PM mutant arc seems like a pointless sidequest. What did that whole storyline do that wasn't already done by the Eros plotline? It was basically another arc of how bad scientists do bad things with the PM and how Mars and Earth are at eachother's throats. I can see how the show might be spinning its wheels a little bit there.

e: I mean, I really enjoyed all of season 2 and 3, but it's an interesting thought.