Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Koramei posted:

Will this work if I install Win7 at first on the newest generation of Intel CPUs? I know they're supposed to be incompatible with 7 but is it compatible "enough" that it can make it through the installation process before it gets upgraded to 10?

The key upgrade worked fine for me on a z370 + 8400. The tricky part was actually getting the Windows 10 usb install media to work, since none of the usb or ethernet ports worked with Windows 7 plug-and-play. I ended up using an old SATA cd drive and the driver cd that came with the motherboard to get the USB ports working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lame Devil posted:

Trying to put together a computer for my brother. He is transitioning from consoles to PC. He would play steam games, world of warcraft, other blizzard games, and try to mess around in unity. Would like to spend around $1K and will have micro center put it together. Any recommendations on lowering the cost, part compatibility or general areas of improvement? Any help would be much appreciated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2400G 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($155.90 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($21.29 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - X370 GAMING PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99.93 @ OutletPC)
Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($75.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Samsung)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill - CHALLENGER ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.24 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec - EarthWatts Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $986.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-07 19:22 EDT-0400

I changed the power supply for a better and cheaper one (it's on sale right now), went for the 6 core ryzen which has a cpu cooler included and no included iGPU like the 2400G. Changed RAM to be faster, but it's still only got 8GB and you should consider going for a DDR4-3000 2x8GB kit with the money you save from not buying retail windows 10. I changed it up to a better case and the 6GB 1060 which will be useful longer than the 3GB 1060. Get a windows 7 key from the goon in sa-mart or find one on an old PC and use that instead of paying full price. The Samsung 860 EVO is cheaper than the 850 EVO since it's newer and still in production. There may be other suggestions from the thread but that's my quick once over of the list.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($100.80 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($75.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card ($269.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ B&H)
Total: $1041.56
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-07 20:26 EDT-0400

Rexxed fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 8, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lame Devil posted:

Trying to put together a computer for my brother. He is transitioning from consoles to PC. He would play steam games, world of warcraft, other blizzard games, and try to mess around in unity. Would like to spend around $1K and will have micro center put it together. Any recommendations on lowering the cost, part compatibility or general areas of improvement? Any help would be much appreciated.

Rexxed's suggestions look good, just a few additional things to consider:

Storage: 250GB will fill up pretty quickly, even with just Blizzard games and Windows 10. I'd recommend either spending another $35 to get 500gb Crucial MX500 or spend $40-60 on an extra 1-2tb spinney drive.

Video Card: Going up to the 6gb 1060 is definitely worth it, especially if your brother might want to play other non-Blizzard games at some point. If you want to save some money, used 6gb cards are going as low as $180, but you need to be willing to aggressively return any bad cards. It doesn't happen often, but so long as the card isn't listed as "for parts" ebay's policy is to allow returns of non or poor functioning items for 30 days, regardless of what the seller says. EVGA, MSI, and Gigabyte cards have automatic transferable warranties (3 years based on the ship date listed in the first 4 #s of the serial) and 1060 6gb cards should have 2+ years remaining.

Power Supply: 750W is more W than you need, but the G3 does have a 10 year warranty and the standard lower-wattage recommendation, the Seasonic Focus Gold Plus 550W, is currently the same price.

If you feel like spending an extra $60, Newegg's i5 8400/asrock mobo/16gb RAM combo would give 5-10%ish better gaming performance than the 2600, plus more RAM for longevity.

E: Alternatively, if you don't feel like dealing with parts at all, microcenter's Ryzen 1600/16gb RAM/1060 6GB prebuilt would be right at your price point and perfectly suitable. There's also an i5 8400 version for $50 more (definitely worth it, though it goes over your price point).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jul 8, 2018

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I'm looking for a USB enclosure to take PCI (NVME) M.2 drives like the Samsung 960 EVO. But 99% of what I'm finding online is SATA only.

I found this no-name one on Amazon for $50 but that's all I can spot (and it's clearly shipping from China, so 2 weeks at least to get it). Anyone know of anything cheaper and/or more reputable?

https://www.amazon.com/BGNing-Aluminum-Enclosure-Connector-Desktop/dp/B07DYMTQ9M/

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Zero VGS posted:

I'm looking for a USB enclosure to take PCI (NVME) M.2 drives like the Samsung 960 EVO. But 99% of what I'm finding online is SATA only.

I found this no-name one on Amazon for $50 but that's all I can spot (and it's clearly shipping from China, so 2 weeks at least to get it). Anyone know of anything cheaper and/or more reputable?

https://www.amazon.com/BGNing-Aluminum-Enclosure-Connector-Desktop/dp/B07DYMTQ9M/

But... why? That literally defeats the purpose of the format. I get why you'd like the form factor, but why not just use the NVMe drive in your rig and use a regular SATA M.2 for the portable?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Fuzz posted:

But... why? That literally defeats the purpose of the format. I get why you'd like the form factor, but why not just use the NVMe drive in your rig and use a regular SATA M.2 for the portable?

I work in IT and have situations where I actually need to extract stuff from the drives of busted PCs, or clone drives. Yeah I can put them into other PCs, but that's not as fast as having an external enclosure.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Zero VGS posted:

I work in IT and have situations where I actually need to extract stuff from the drives of busted PCs, or clone drives. Yeah I can put them into other PCs, but that's not as fast as having an external enclosure.

Evidently this is a thing that exists: https://thunderbolttechnology.net/product/thunderbolt%E2%84%A2-3-usb-c-nvme-ssd-adapter

Not sure if you'd be able to use a USB-C to USB-A adapter to make it work, though. Couldn't find a place selling one, either.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lame Devil posted:

Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Samsung)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Antec - EarthWatts Platinum 550W 80+ Platinum Certified ATX Power Supply ($74.99 @ SuperBiiz)

As another possibility, Tech Deals did a $900 ryzen build that looks alright. The only part I disagree with is his power supply choice. I put a system in a Masterbox 5 a couple of weeks ago and it's an okay case if a little bit no frills (well, no drive bays aside from the 3.5" and one SSD mount, although you can buy more):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHDXQvBvcYM

He goes through assembly of it, as well.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Lame Devil posted:

Get a better case that supports USB3 on the front ports, you'll miss it if not. Also, get a better PSU, surely there's something better for $75?

[edit] I cannot believe a platinum PSU for $75 from Antec and Antec are generally poo poo.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Maybe Zero VGS and I can split a 500 lot order from Alibaba, because otherwise, this poo poo’s been on the radar for a whiiiile now.

Why don’t these exist in plenty? Is it a IP issue or a “market too small” thing at this, the summer of 2018?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I have a computer that's a few years old that I bought from a friend. The videocard, a Radeon HD 6850, is going out - the fan bearings are failing, I believe. I need to replace it. The most gaming this computer will likely see is the Sims 4. What's a good videocard that won't break the bank and offer me adequate performance? The one that was in there was probably overkill but I don't want a really piece of poo poo videocard either, but not a $300 top-tier gaming card.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Anyone know if the Silverstone CS380 can go on it's side? It *looks* like it can in the manual but there's a bit of a weird edge to both sides that may prevent it.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CornHolio posted:

a $300 top-tier gaming card.

Haha, you sweet summer child. Try $700.

GTX 1060 6GB is probably your ticket, keep an eye on r/BuildAPCSales and you can probably pick one up for $200. EVGA had some b-stock cards for $200 last week.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Tapedump posted:

Maybe Zero VGS and I can split a 500 lot order from Alibaba, because otherwise, this poo poo’s been on the radar for a whiiiile now.

Why don’t these exist in plenty? Is it a IP issue or a “market too small” thing at this, the summer of 2018?

I found them on AliExpress where you can buy them 1 at a time, and it's $10 cheaper than Amazon:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Aluminum-NVMe-PCIE-USB3-1-HDD-Enclosure-M-2-to-USB-SSD-Hard-Disk-Drive-Case/32884307172.html

It's still shipping from China, but it seems like that's the only game in town since local dropshippers haven't begun stocking them yet. I think it's a "market too small" thing.

Edit: Found a few on eBay for $36.50 each, still shipping from China: https://www.ebay.com/itm/XT-XINTE-LM902-NVME-USB3-1-TO-PCI-E-NVNE-NGFF-SSD-HDD-Enclosure-C3-1-M-2-to-USB/202363722651

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jul 8, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

CornHolio posted:

I have a computer that's a few years old that I bought from a friend. The videocard, a Radeon HD 6850, is going out - the fan bearings are failing, I believe. I need to replace it. The most gaming this computer will likely see is the Sims 4. What's a good videocard that won't break the bank and offer me adequate performance? The one that was in there was probably overkill but I don't want a really piece of poo poo videocard either, but not a $300 top-tier gaming card.

Paul MaudDib posted:

GTX 1060 6GB is probably your ticket, keep an eye on r/BuildAPCSales and you can probably pick one up for $200. EVGA had some b-stock cards for $200 last week.

A 1060 is overkill, surely? If it's actually gonna be limited to playing Sims 4.

I can nearly max out Sims 4 on 1440p with my Radeon 7870 and apparently the 1050ti is roughly equivalent to that (probably a little bit better) and has been seen at $120. It is way worse than the 1060 though and I've been getting the impression that <$200 6gb 1060s might be getting a lot more common over the coming months so if you want something that'll last you for a while longer (not that Sims 5 is coming out for years yet) it might be worth spending a bit more on that.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 8, 2018

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I've been thinking about getting a new computer in the 12-24 months, but I don't actually know very much about computers, so I thought I'd ask for some insight here.

I have a Thinkpad T530 that has gotten heavy daily use since I bought it in September 2013. Here's some info on it:

- Intel Core i5-3230M 2.60 GHz CPU
- 12 gigabytes of RAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600)
- 256 gigabytes of storage space (75 gigs free, this is an Samsung 840 Pro SSD)
- NVIDIA NVS 5400M and Intel HD Graphics 4000 (graphics card, I think?)
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (think this one is the wi-fi)
- I have no idea how to figure out what motherboard this thing has.
- Runs up-to-date Windows 10

My user behavior is honestly pretty silly. I have two monitors and always have three browsers open (Chrome, Firefox, and Edge), which typically total up to five windows and 20+ open tabs minimum (sometimes upwards of 60+ if I'm researching something). I'm almost always actively streaming at least one video, and it's not unusual for me to have five or six videos open. I also work in pretty gigantic spreadsheets with massive datasets. I don't do computer design modeling and very rarely play video games on my computer (and when I do, it's simple platformers or whatever that don't have problems on my current system).

I'm not in a big rush to replace my computer, because it's generally doing fine with this, but I've noticed that it's starting up slower and beginning to lag with moderate-to-heavy use.

Here's what I'd like to know: if I were to spend $1,500, I could get the current ThinkPad T5-whatever and I'm sure it would be an across-the-board improvement over what I have now, except maybe it would still be 1920x1080 screen resolution. That's about how much my current laptop cost in 2013. So, I have three questions:

- Would the spec improvement really be noticeable if I went from my current laptop to my new laptop? Or, with that user behavior, would current laptops still chug a little bit under those conditions?

- What if I went with a desktop instead? I haven't regularly used a desktop computer in almost a decade outside of a couple of workplaces, but I only actually need the mobility of a laptop every six weeks or so (and I could absolutely use my current computer for those trips without issue). How big is the performance gap between a $1,500 laptop and a same-priced desktop? I have to imagine that this is the scenario where nothing I could throw at the computer would phase it, without asking it to run CAD or play Call of Duty 19.

- Moving from an HDD to an SSD was a huge quality of life improvement in 2013. Is everything just kind of vaguely better now but there hasn't been another big leap forward, or is there something I should look forward to (either that's already been released or that's expected to be released in the next year or so)?

I realize that it's unlikely anyone could tell me "Oh yeah, a new laptop would be 30% better than your current laptop and a desktop would be 50% better," I'm just looking for general opinions along the lines of "most people would notice a difference" or "yeah, it'll be better, but you're talking about shaving off a couple seconds of load at peak use for the price of a new computer."

Thank you for any advice you may have!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Koramei posted:

A 1060 is overkill, surely? If it's actually gonna be limited to playing Sims 4.

I can nearly max out Sims 4 on 1440p with my Radeon 7870 and apparently the 1050ti is roughly equivalent to that (probably a little bit better) and has been seen at $120. It is way worse than the 1060 though and I've been getting the impression that <$200 6gb 1060s might be getting a lot more common over the coming months so if you want something that'll last you for a while longer (not that Sims 5 is coming out for years yet) it might be worth spending a bit more on that.

$120 is about what I was hoping to spend, so I'll be on the lookout for this. If anybody else has a better idea, or a link to where I could buy this at such a price, it'd be pretty awesome.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
Look on the buildapcsales subreddit from time to time and something will come up: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/search?q=flair%3AGPU+1050ti&restrict_sr=on&sort=new&t=all

It seems like $120 might be literally the best deal that particular card has ever gone on though so I mighta been mistaken about that. Honestly if you felt like your current card was overkill though, a non-ti 1050 can definitely be had for even less than that and will run the Sims 4 fine, just probably not maxed out.

Alternatively, you could look at changing the fans on your current card; just because they're failing doesn't mean the card is dead. I did that to my 7870 about 2 years back for $25 or so and it wasn't especially complicated, although so many years after the card has come out maybe it'll be harder to get replacement fans for a reasonable price.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jul 9, 2018

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

In addition to buildapcsales, I'd also suggest checking out EVGA's Midweek Madness sales on their B-stock, which is their factory recertified stock with a 1-year warranty. You can get some great deals on that stuff if you're on the ball at 12:01 Wednesday morning. but those great deals sell out really fast.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

CornHolio posted:

$120 is about what I was hoping to spend, so I'll be on the lookout for this. If anybody else has a better idea, or a link to where I could buy this at such a price, it'd be pretty awesome.

If you're willing to go used, 1050 ti's are now regularly going for ~$120-$150 on ebay. If you get an EVGA, MSI, or Gigabyte card, you'll get an automatic transferable warranty, 3 years from the ship date (listed in the first 4 #s of the serial). Usually that'll mean 2+ years of remaining warranty.

Just be willing to aggressively return any non-functioning or misleading purchase - regardless of what the seller says, so long as the auction isn't listed as "for parts" you always have a month to request a refund on non-functioning or poor-condition items.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
I always like to build a new PC in between assignments, and it's that time again. Reusing a few things, like the ATX case, from my old PC, but upgrading most things.

Everything here look good to go? Any specific parts I can take in one direction or another for an appreciable improvement in performance? Especially the motherboard and graphics cards. Willing to spend a bit more if it makes the difference.

A few other questions: Whenever I try to read up on CPU cooling options my eyes glaze over and I can't tell which ones really perform better. Don't mind spending 100 or less on a good system if it makes a difference. Any suggestions? Also, any reason for buying a different thermal paste than what comes with the cooler you buy? Is there any real appreciable difference in performance?

How much power from a power supply does one really need? Getting a huge power supply when I'm only using a bit of its potential seems like a waste, but maybe there are advantages to a larger supply that I''m not aware of?

I will be using the system primarily for gaming and for media. Any any feedback is appreciated!

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor (£305.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£151.75 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£159.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Bruxism fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 9, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bruxism posted:

I always like to build a new PC in between assignments, and it's that time again. Reusing a few things, like the ATX case, from my old PC, but upgrading most things.

Everything here look good to go? Any specific parts I can take in one direction or another for an appreciable improvement in performance? Especially the motherboard and graphics cards. Willing to spend a bit more if it makes the difference.

A few other questions: Whenever I try to read up on CPU cooling options my eyes glaze over and I can't tell which ones really perform better. Don't mind spending 100 or less on a good system if it makes a difference. Any suggestions? Also, any reason for buying a different thermal paste than what comes with the cooler you buy? Is there any real appreciable difference in performance?

How much power from a power supply does one really need? Getting a huge power supply when I'm only using a bit of its potential seems like a waste, but maybe there are advantages to a larger supply that I''m not aware of?

I will be using the system primarily for gaming and for media. Any any feedback is appreciated!

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor (£305.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - Prime Z370-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£151.75 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (£159.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

If you're primarily looking at gaming for pushing your PC, the GPU is the most important component for performance. Even a fancy overclocked 8700K is only going to give a 10-15% gaming performance boost over a locked i5 8400, but going from a 1060 6gb to a 1070 is something like 30-40% and moving up to a 1080 ti is more like double the power. There's a few caveats, though:

1) If you're gaming at 1080p 60Hz, a 1060 6gb will do ultra/60Hz for 99% of the AAA games on the market right now, and

2) you might want to hold off spending money on something fancier, since UK prices don't seem to be falling as fast as in the US and 11X0 cards are probably, possibly < 6 months away (maybe < 3?).

The same holds for the 970 evo. At least right now NVME offers basically no gaming advantage over the SATA 860 evo or Crucial MX500 (M.2 or standard 2.5"). If you're looking to maximize performance for cost (at least right now), you'd be better off putting that £50-60 towards a GPU upgrade.

All that said, if you are gaming at 1080p/60Hz and you want to spend extra to upgrade you're experience, you might want to consider upgrading to a 1440p/144Hz (possibly gsync) monitor, along with a GPU upgrade to at least a 1070.

A 650W power supply is totally sufficient for overclocking a 8700K + any 10X0 card, though the EVGA G3 650W comes with a shorter 7-year warranty. Go with the Seasonic Focus Gold Plus or EVGA 750W Larger power supplies were more necessary in the past when GPUs and processors were less efficient, but they're mostly necessary for running multiple GPUs (SLI/crossfire). These days screen-space algorithms have rendered SLI mostly obsolete, so it's not really recommended unless you absolutely must have more power than a 1080 ti and don't want to shell out for a Titan.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Actually, the 650W G3 now carries a nine year warranty. The rationale I always give behind going with the 750W isn't that it now carries a 12 year warranty, but rather that it comes with more connectors.

Here's the details for the newly extended EVGA PSU warranties:

-L Suffix: Upgrade to 4 Year Limited Warranty
-K Suffix: Upgrade to 5 Year Limited Warranty
-V Suffix: Upgrade to 7 Year Limited Warranty
-Y Suffix: Upgrade to 9 Year Limited Warranty (G3 550 and 650W)
-X Suffix: Upgrade to 12 Year Limited Warranty (G3 750W+ and all G1+ units from 650W+)

This is only valid on PSUs purchased after June 5th, and is only valid until December 31st.

As you can see, there's a marked difference in connectors between the 650W and 750W:

The 650W:

The 750W:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 9, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Actually, the 650W G3 now carries a nine year warranty. The rationale I always give behind going with the 750W isn't that it now carries a 12 year warranty, but rather that it comes with more connectors.

That's good to know, thanks! Do you know if it applies outside of the US? EVGA's webpage doesn't seem to be very helpful and the extension isn't listed on Amazon.co.uk, though it is on Amazon.com.

Do you generally recommend the G3 over the G2 or G1+? It looks like the 650W G1+ has all the connectors that you get with the G3 750W.

VVV Thanks! For whatever reason the warranty extension wasn't on the US page (just in a few articles), so I didn't bother looking at the EU one! VVV

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jul 9, 2018

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Stickman posted:

That's good to know, thanks! Do you know if it applies outside of the US? EVGA's webpage doesn't seem to be very helpful and the extension isn't listed on Amazon.co.uk, though it is on Amazon.com.

Do you generally recommend the G3 over the G2 or G1+? It looks like the 650W G1+ has all the connectors that you get with the G3 750W.

I can't be sure about whether the extension applies internationally.

As for the G3 vs. G1+, the G1+ (make sure the + is there) is a newer unit that boasts more niceties aside from more connectors, so if you can snag a 650W G1+ for a comparable amount of money to the 750W G3, I'd recommend doing so. The G1+ has a slightly larger case than the G3, so make sure to eyeball it or take measurements.

Also, the Seasonic Focus Plus carry a full array of connectors and have a 10 year warranty across the line, so if the extension *doesn't* apply internationally, they should be considered a good alternative.

EDIT: The warranty extensions *do* apply internationally, or at least they do in EMEA. When you go to this link: https://eu.evga.com/warranty/power-supplies/ and then drop down from EMEA to Power Supplies, if you scroll down, you'll see explicit mention of the extensions for specific PSUs.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 9, 2018

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Stickman posted:

If you're primarily looking at gaming for pushing your PC, the GPU is the most important component for performance. Even a fancy overclocked 8700K is only going to give a 10-15% gaming performance boost over a locked i5 8400, but going from a 1060 6gb to a 1070 is something like 30-40% and moving up to a 1080 ti is more like double the power. There's a few caveats, though:

1) If you're gaming at 1080p 60Hz, a 1060 6gb will do ultra/60Hz for 99% of the AAA games on the market right now, and

2) you might want to hold off spending money on something fancier, since UK prices don't seem to be falling as fast as in the US and 11X0 cards are probably, possibly < 6 months away (maybe < 3?).

The same holds for the 970 evo. At least right now NVME offers basically no gaming advantage over the SATA 860 evo or Crucial MX500 (M.2 or standard 2.5"). If you're looking to maximize performance for cost (at least right now), you'd be better off putting that £50-60 towards a GPU upgrade.

All that said, if you are gaming at 1080p/60Hz and you want to spend extra to upgrade you're experience, you might want to consider upgrading to a 1440p/144Hz (possibly gsync) monitor, along with a GPU upgrade to at least a 1070.

A 650W power supply is totally sufficient for overclocking a 8700K + any 10X0 card, though the EVGA G3 650W comes with a shorter 7-year warranty. Go with the Seasonic Focus Gold Plus or EVGA 750W Larger power supplies were more necessary in the past when GPUs and processors were less efficient, but they're mostly necessary for running multiple GPUs (SLI/crossfire). These days screen-space algorithms have rendered SLI mostly obsolete, so it's not really recommended unless you absolutely must have more power than a 1080 ti and don't want to shell out for a Titan.

Thanks for the detailed breakdown! A few more details concerning my situation, sorry I wasn't more specific in the beginning. The prices are posted in UK terms because I originally put together the list in the UK. I am actually purchasing and building in the States and then shipping the computer overseas. I have to complete my build before departure which will be at the end of Aug this year.

Also, I have an Acer XB270HU which has g-sync and is 1440p/144Hz. I definitely want to lean towards a more powerful GPU, but don't want to spend 4-500 doing it. Is there anything good in the 1070 line around 350 or less? I see a few shopping around, but have a hard time parsing out which qualities I should focus on. Also, I want to take advantage of my monitor's gsync.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

-L Suffix: Upgrade to 4 Year Limited Warranty
-K Suffix: Upgrade to 5 Year Limited Warranty
-V Suffix: Upgrade to 7 Year Limited Warranty
-Y Suffix: Upgrade to 9 Year Limited Warranty (G3 550 and 650W)
-X Suffix: Upgrade to 12 Year Limited Warranty (G3 750W+ and all G1+ units from 650W+)

This is only valid on PSUs purchased after June 5th, and is only valid until December 31st.

As you can see, there's a marked difference in connectors between the 650W and 750W:

The 650W:

The 750W:

Thanks for the power supply feedback. I already went with the G3 based on your previous feedback in the thread. I shouldn't need a warranty longer than 9 years, but the extra connectors are tempting. I actually can't think of a time I was ever short on connections from the PS, but I feel like I'm always adding on more stuff with each build.

Also, to both of you, I'm really interested in advice on the motherboard. I chose the current one based on what I had already read in this thread. I want a high-end model that reduces bottlenecks, but doesn't have me paying for features I won't use (like onboard wireless). Thanks!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The thread's standard Z370 recommendation at the moment is the ASRock Extreme4.

Also, the main difference between the 650 and 750W G3s are two extra VGA connectors, one extra SATA lead (which are starting to power more than just SATA drives), and an extra "CPU" lead.

Speaking of the G1+, Newegg's got the 850W unit for $80 after rebate: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...em-_-17-438-133

And the 550W Seasonic Focus Plus for $55 after rebate: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...em-_-17-151-189

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 9, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Bruxism posted:

Thanks for the detailed breakdown! A few more details concerning my situation, sorry I wasn't more specific in the beginning. The prices are posted in UK terms because I originally put together the list in the UK. I am actually purchasing and building in the States and then shipping the computer overseas. I have to complete my build before departure which will be at the end of Aug this year.

Also, I have an Acer XB270HU which has g-sync and is 1440p/144Hz. I definitely want to lean towards a more powerful GPU, but don't want to spend 4-500 doing it. Is there anything good in the 1070 line around 350 or less? I see a few shopping around, but have a hard time parsing out which qualities I should focus on. Also, I want to take advantage of my monitor's gsync.

Thanks for the power supply feedback. I already went with the G3 based on your previous feedback in the thread. I shouldn't need a warranty longer than 9 years, but the extra connectors are tempting. I actually can't think of a time I was ever short on connections from the PS, but I feel like I'm always adding on more stuff with each build.

Also, to both of you, I'm really interested in advice on the motherboard. I chose the current one based on what I had already read in this thread. I want a high-end model that reduces bottlenecks, but doesn't have me paying for features I won't use (like onboard wireless). Thanks!

US gpu prices are back around MSRP, so starting at ~$270 for the 1060 6gb, $400 for the 1070, $450 1070 ti, and $500 1080. Used prices are ~$100 lower for the 1070 through 1080, and used 1080 ti's are dipping down below $600 (and those prices are generally for better-model cards). Which one you'll want to go with will depend on what games you play and how much you care about ultra settings/high fps at 1440p. If you crank up the settings for games like AC: Origins or FFXV, the 1060 will generally run at 30-40 fps while a 1070 will run more around 50-60 and the 1080 ~70ish. Less demanding games will run better on the 1060, but the 1070 will generally produce about 40% more fps, the 1080 ~70% more (and the 1080 ti ~100-120%).

While none of the new models are less than $350 (yet), prices are still going down. Alternatively, if you add in the $90 you could save by moving from a 970 evo to an MX500 and the $40 you could save by getting the ASRock Extreme4 (with $20 rebate on Newegg), you could pick up anything up to a 1080 and stay within the same budget, even going with new cards.

If you want to save a bit more money for a small performance hit on the CPU side, moving to an 8400 would save $160 + whatever you would spend on a cooler (stock is fine for the 8400). That would easily allow you to get a used (or even new) 1080 ti and stay within budget. The downside would be potentially slightly less longevity without the ability to overclock, perhaps bigger performance hits in the future if games start taking full advantage of hyperthreading, and less second-hand value retention for the CPU.

If you do decide to go with a used GPU, get an EVGA, MSI, or Gigabyte. They all have 3-year transferable warranties based on manufacturer ship date (first 4 #s of the serial), so should have 2+ years of warranty remaining. With 1070 tis or higher, there's also a possibility of getting a mining card with a flashed bios that hasn't been reverted to stock. If the gaming performance seems subpar compared to benchmarks, just return the card - ebay's return policies are highly favorable to the buyer.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

What country are you in? Italy

What are you using the system for? General office tasks, web browsing, a bit of image editing (making leaflets, posters, etc), watching Netflix

What's your budget? As low as possible

I need a cheap, small computer with WiFi capabilities to serve as our htpc / work computer in the house. It would be used mainly for image editing and general web browsing, IM and email, plus Netflix and maybe a little bit of gaming but of course at low settings. I need it to be as cheap as possible while still maintaining wifi and small form factor.

This is what I came up with: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/N3BH4q EDIT: now amended with actual Italian prices/availability from pcpartpicker

It's still a bit expensive so please, could you point out for me any possible savings?

Thanks

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 9, 2018

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

TorakFade posted:

What country are you in? Italy

What are you using the system for? General office tasks, web browsing, a bit of image editing (making leaflets, posters, etc), watching Netflix

What's your budget? As low as possible

I need a cheap, small computer with WiFi capabilities to serve as our htpc / work computer in the house. It would be used mainly for image editing and general web browsing, IM and email, plus Netflix and maybe a little bit of gaming but of course at low settings. I need it to be as cheap as possible while still maintaining wifi and small form factor.

This is what I came up with: https://it.pcpartpicker.com/list/N3BH4q EDIT: now amended with actual Italian prices/availability from pcpartpicker

It's still a bit expensive so please, could you point out for me any possible savings?

Thanks

If you just wanted an htpc, I'd say go for an NVidia Shield, but for the cheapest htpc/general computing/gaming the usual recommendation is a refurbished Dell Optiplex (sff in your case) with either a low-profile 1030 or a low-profile 1050/1050 ti, depending on what games you want to play. The linked computer/cards are just examples - you might want to death a bit to find the best fit/deal. For cards, get an EVGA, Gigabyte, or MSI if you can - they'll come with a transferable warranty (I believe that holds in Europe).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I was gonna get the G.Skill Trident Z RAM but it looks like I took too long and it's sold out. Is the G.Skill Sniper X actually any different beyond aesthetics? I don't love how it looks but I don't plan to be spending much time looking at it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Is it true that GPU prices are inflated due to Bitcoin?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah. Back in late January or February you couldn't find anything for below double MSRP without being very lucky. Now that bitcoin's dropped in price and taken the alt coins with it the prices have come down to around MSRP levels which while not as cheap as they might've been, isn't bad compared to what it was.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

punk rebel ecks posted:

Not anymore in the US, but depending on where you live prices may not have recovered yet. There were some deals for near-historical-lows last week - 1080s for $400, 1060 6 GBs for $200, Vega 56 for $380, etc.

At this point, the only thing holding prices up is inventory in the channel - NVIDIA isn't providing price protection and retailers don't want to mark cards down and take a loss, even though they're not moving.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 9, 2018

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Rexxed posted:

Yeah. Back in late January or February you couldn't find anything for below double MSRP without being very lucky. Now that bitcoin's dropped in price and taken the alt coins with it the prices have come down to around MSRP levels which while not as cheap as they might've been, isn't bad compared to what it was.

I was so glad I took the plunge and got a 1080ti along with a nice monitor when I did because the next week my card's price went up by around 50 percent.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

CascadeBeta posted:

I was so glad I took the plunge and got a 1080ti along with a nice monitor when I did because the next week my card's price went up by around 50 percent.

Same lol - 1080ti ftw3 water cooled for like $750 and then that Alienware AW3418DW for $950 I want to say? It’s going for like $1500 now lmao. They replaced the original AW3428DW price point with a shittier version screen that’s only 2560x1080 not 3440x1440 - total rip-off now

Built it in Nov ‘17... poo poo went haywire after then cards recovered but the monitor game is still ????

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'm still using an AMD Phenom II X4 980 CPU that I've had forever, and thinking I probably need to upgrade from it soon with the MHW pc release coming soon, but my motherboard doesn't really support anything newer than the Phenom or FX series. What's a good budget mobo/cpu combo that should last me awhile given that I don't really care about going above 1080p resolution?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You'll need RAM as well, since DDR4 is the standard now.

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($159.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $479.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-09 13:39 EDT-0400

This is pretty high end, actually. With the 470 motherboard you have a clear upgrade path for down the line adding a bunch more cores plus mhz with Ryzen 2. The RAM is sufficiently quick as well. The Ryzen comes with a decent air cooler as well. I don't know your budget or anything other than what you said above.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Zerilan posted:

I'm still using an AMD Phenom II X4 980 CPU that I've had forever, and thinking I probably need to upgrade from it soon with the MHW pc release coming soon, but my motherboard doesn't really support anything newer than the Phenom or FX series. What's a good budget mobo/cpu combo that should last me awhile given that I don't really care about going above 1080p resolution?

Look for a B350 motherboard and a 1300X or 1500X processor. AMD is refreshing these with a 2300X and 2500X model any time now, and those are worth waiting for especially if you don't like to fiddle with OC.
The 2600X is nice too, and is available today, but will be a bit higher price point than the 2300X and 2500X.

The Pentium Golds are an OK value but 2C4T is pretty weak for gaming these days, and the only other decent value in Intel's lineup right now is the 8700K and maybe the 8600K.

Regardless though, you are going to be replacing your RAM as well, since you either have DDR2 or DDR3 and everything has been on DDR4 for a few years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Budget wise was hoping for the $2-300 range but didn't realize I'd need new ram too, so I'll probably just wait a bit longer.