Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Is Freak Creek the only habitat of the freaking tree, or can it grow elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Randaconda posted:

Uranus seems to be quite a bit older than Demeter, and as the son and husband of Gaia, likely had some agriculture attributes.
Fertiliser, for example.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gleebster posted:

Is Freak Creek the only habitat of the freaking tree, or can it grow elsewhere?
I hear they have a good chat line

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Byzantine posted:

The really weird thing? Uranus is the Latinized Greek name of the god. The Roman equivalent was Caelus, and the original Greek was Οὐρανός, pronounced like "oorah-nose".
Well, if you're talking about the modern pronunciation, that's the anglicised version of of the latinised version of the Greek name. The Latin pronunciation would be more like oo-rah-noos rather than yuh-rain-us.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Tiggum posted:

Well, if you're talking about the modern pronunciation, that's the anglicised version of of the latinised version of the Greek name. The Latin pronunciation would be more like oo-rah-noos rather than yuh-rain-us.

Wait, so the marines are secretly a pagan greek cult?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Naked man driving Canada Post truck causes multi-vehicle crash in Calgary

:canada:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes you have to sacrifice some dignity and other people’s safety to make sure the mail is delivered on time, I don’t see the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyElRB-JXgM

Aesop Poprock has a new favorite as of 07:35 on Jul 5, 2018

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Flashlight bombs are a thing, so this doesn't seem weird :shrug:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Pigeon Raves are loving lit

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Intoluene posted:

Worst part is, I know exactly who that guy is and why he's in the news.

He put his public transport pass in his hand so the company stopped the pass ruling something about altering the pass making it void. He won the court case about it.
Still had to pay court fees, though.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/magicmagid/status/1014494400532148225?s=21

Yes, that is an actual declaration by the actual, currently-serving Lord Mayor of Sheffield. Wikipedia page for evidence.

That’s my Lord Mayor. He’s loving cool.

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

https://twitter.com/magicmagid/status/1014494400532148225?s=21

Yes, that is an actual declaration by the actual, currently-serving Lord Mayor of Sheffield. Wikipedia page for evidence.

This guy owns

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Police officer claims Burger King served him dirt in viral Facebook post. It was actually seasoning

Best part:

quote:

FORT MYERS, Fla. — A police officer's complaint that a fast food burger he ordered came sprinkled with dirt created a flame-broiled Facebook sensation Wednesday before an investigation found that a seasoning mix was the likely culprit.

Fort Myers police Officer Tim McCormick posted on Facebook about a meal he was recently served at a Burger King, writing the burger looked like it had dirt on it but didn't notice it until he was down to the last bite. He then tossed the sandwich.

:cawg:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

It's like an episode of Mongrels up in here.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hexyflexy posted:

That’s my Lord Mayor. He’s loving cool.

Got some sweet shoes too.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

You'd have to be high as poo poo to think this was a good idea. I wonder if the owner of those drugs thought that flying rat city pigeons were the same as carrier pigeons :allears:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
They found 200 ecstasy pills, but probably missed the other 100,000 that pigeons have carried in over the last decade. City pigeons are just as trainable as a carrier pigeon.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Spiders Can Fly Hundreds of Miles Using Electricity

:tif:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

I've always wondered how a few strands of silk could provide the necessary lift. Now I know: spiders can harness the elemental forces of the universe.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/thetakeout/status/1015325626100846593

This is not an Onion spin-off

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I've always wondered how a few strands of silk could provide the necessary lift. Now I know: spiders can harness the elemental forces of the universe.

Spider-man is getting OP.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Samuringa posted:

This is not an Onion spin-off

Well, it kind of is...

(Not fake/satire stuff, but it is related)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

This is a pretty huge burn against Pepsi after the whole Kylie Jenner ad.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Completely believable opening in this opinion piece from a local retired psychology professor:

quote:

I was researching the video game “Fortnite” and I asked my 18 year old son, Jackson, if he knew about it. He said, “It is consuming society. It is taking away people from real life and putting them in a violent universe. Parents who take the game away have to deal with the kids who become violent like the game.”

:hmmyes:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Perhaps the truth lies in the middle. If you can find it here good luck.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I'm a video game player, what is so special about Fortnite that is inciting that kind of think piece?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

doverhog posted:

I'm a video game player, what is so special about Fortnite that is inciting that kind of think piece?

Nothing except that it's really popular right now.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The argument is not new, but the classics stick around. And, I guess I should also say, there may be some merit to those old fears. Take that as an admission that I am old now. Surrender to reality, and then cope with it best you can.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

doverhog posted:

The argument is not new, but the classics stick around. And, I guess I should also say, there may be some merit to those old fears. Take that as an admission that I am old now. Surrender to reality, and then cope with it best you can.

IIRC, the science says that art can’t encourage specific behaviour (so playing TF2 won’t make you blow off your own feet with a bazooka), but it can influence your worldview (so it may well help you think of Germans as psychotic mad scientists and Russians as big, violent, and none too bright, and make you slightly more open to the idea of solving problems through violence). Which isn’t really all that surprising when you think about it - how many cultural mores and perspectives on the world did you pick up from the entertainment you consume?

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord

Wow, a variable rate at 4.5 % ... And then I saw the newspaper is dated 2006

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/997569548130938882

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, the science says that art can’t encourage specific behaviour (so playing TF2 won’t make you blow off your own feet with a bazooka), but it can influence your worldview (so it may well help you think of Germans as psychotic mad scientists and Russians as big, violent, and none too bright, and make you slightly more open to the idea of solving problems through violence). Which isn’t really all that surprising when you think about it - how many cultural mores and perspectives on the world did you pick up from the entertainment you consume?

Video games are not exempt from scrutiny you would give any other form of art. I personally picked up nihilism, communism, mysticism, etc. (from books mostly) but I am a terrible nerd and most people will not have the same experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

If you take a toy from a child, no matter what it is, there's a good chance they will cry, tantrum, or hit you. That's how children are.