Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

shredding for 6 hours straight sounds like a recipe for death. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
Ok I will take a break for a day or two I guess. Even though I really hate not playing guitar for a day.

And for what it's worth I do work up to things, I'm not like inducing spasms in my hand to play that fast, but... I'm kind of a perfectionist when it comes to learning a piece and I probably end up practicing stuff way more than is productive in one sitting.

Weirdly, I've practiced sweep picking for about that long, but sweeping doesn't seem to put the same strain on one's hands as a bunch of alternate picking.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Stretches help for getting warmed up but not for instantly turning into an endurance machine. You gotta build up to playing at hyper speed for an extended period of time. poo poo, if I go for a week or two without playing at full speed my endurance declines and I feel sore after about a half hour. Then I play the next day and I feel sore after an hour and a half. Then the next day I can go on forever.

You should push yourself but gradually, you become great over time.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also after you get done playing you should wipe down your strings then gently massage the muscles in your arms. It also doesn't hurt to ice them for a little while after your massage.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

Also after you get done playing you should wipe down your strings then gently massage the muscles in your arms. It also doesn't hurt to ice them for a little while after your massage.

hot

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

On some level I know that what y'all are saying is true but it is very hard to silence the "MOAR PRACTICE ALWAYS BETTER" voice in the back of my mind. I credit that voice with most of my progress, but I suppose I'm not 15 anymore and I need to think about ways to avoid long term damage.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gnumonic posted:

On some level I know that what y'all are saying is true but it is very hard to silence the "MOAR PRACTICE ALWAYS BETTER" voice in the back of my mind. I credit that voice with most of my progress, but I suppose I'm not 15 anymore and I need to think about ways to avoid long term damage.

You’ll be fine as long as you listen to your body. Plus if you want to do more there’s always ear training, sight reading, transcribing, etc

Shredding for hours IS the most fun though

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Gnumonic posted:

Weirdly, I've practiced sweep picking for about that long, but sweeping doesn't seem to put the same strain on one's hands as a bunch of alternate picking.

Almost like you're not reversing your picking hand's movement once per note...

Man, I've sat down dozens and dozens of times over the last few years and tried to get the hang of sweep picking, but it just never clicks. I can single pick far faster and cleaner than I can sweep, so it just ends with me frustrated and not being any better at it.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Enourmo posted:

Man, I've sat down dozens and dozens of times over the last few years and tried to get the hang of sweep picking, but it just never clicks. I can single pick far faster and cleaner than I can sweep, so it just ends with me frustrated and not being any better at it.

This was me until about 8 months ago. I've been playing for ~15 years and every year or two I'd try to pick up sweeping for a week then give up. What really helped was starting with the tiny two string sweeps, but even then, it probably took around 40 hours of practice to break myself of the alternate picking muscle memory. You can learn it, but you just have to brute force your way through how wrong it feels if you're used to alternate picking. It sounds so dumb that it was so hard for me to do one continuous downstroke instead of two downstrokes with a short rest, but once I got over that things really fell into place.

Or at least, sorta. Bigger sweeps with position shifts and pull-offs/hammer-ons on on the middle strings are still really hard for me, as are broken/sequenced arpeggios, but I think those are just really hard in general.

I also think that sweep picking is generally less fun to start out learning than alternate picking, because *every* song/artist that employs it is sweeping very fast, and it takes a lot of work to get things up to speed. (I mean, that's kind of the point, if it weren't that fast you could just alternate pick it.) There are tons of moderate tempo things you can just pick and feel like you're making progress but if you want to learn sweep picking you almost certainly want to play Far Beyond the Sun or something similar.

Edit:

I've probably recommended this before but I never made any real progress until I bought Joe Stump's Sweep Picking and Arpeggios book. The suggested BPM for the exercises is absolutely insane and half of them are just Joe Stump riffs from his songs (I mean, they're solid neoclassical arpeggio riffs, don't get me wrong) but aside from that it's exactly what I always wanted in a sweep picking book.

Gnumonic fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jul 8, 2018

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Peetown Manning posted:

Simple melodies like Amazing Grace.

Finger picking and/or hybrid picking will open things up.

Another good thing is to ween yourself off of barring the entire six strings, try to keep your slide (and it's sweet spot) on only the strings you mean to play. Basically look at your fretting hand muting and right hand blocking, you need to tame them.

I already do finger picking so I think I'm on the right track. I already do right hand muting and fret muting.

I will work on not barring all six strings. Is there a reason why you would do this?

Are there any drills you do that help you learn the fret board? What about help with understanding when you should stay on one strong vs playing in a box?

I just find I learn easier when I structure my poo poo instead of just memorizing songs. I like to know the why, if that makes sense

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
RE: hands hurting, there's so much to learn about guitar besides strictly technique. Just compartmentalize your shredding in with actually thinking about more melodic and interesting lines.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Being offered a H&K Grandmeister 36 in like new condition with fresh JJ tubes for 600 bucks, any reason NOT to get it?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

The six hours isn’t bad if you are careful about technique and not overplaying but doing it suddenly or only every so often is - your hands will get used to a lot of playing but they don’t like it when there is little or no time and then suddenly a poo poo load.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Those things own. Tube it up.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Sweep pickings cool but kind of badly used by a lot of people. It's nice for transitions but not as the meat and potatoes of a solo. I know I'll eat poo poo for this but Alexi laiho on the first children of bodom album (the green one) uses the technique exelently on that album.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't like sweep picking generally but I'll give a shout out to the computer-assisted sweeps done by rings of saturn. If you record them slowly and speed them up or sample them they can sound really crazy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

Sweep pickings cool but kind of badly used by a lot of people. It's nice for transitions but not as the meat and potatoes of a solo. I know I'll eat poo poo for this but Alexi laiho on the first children of bodom album (the green one) uses the technique exelently on that album.

100% :yeah: he does

Laiho is a great songwriter

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

thinking about buying a squier jaguar. is it poo poo?

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

landgrabber posted:

thinking about buying a squier jaguar. is it poo poo?

Nope, they're nice. Fiddly to set up at first if you aren't used to offsets, but they're solid guitars.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

I think the middle-ish part of Jason Becker’s Altitudes is an excellent use of sweeps as well.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Enourmo posted:

Man, I've sat down dozens and dozens of times over the last few years and tried to get the hang of sweep picking, but it just never clicks.

Same here. Every six months I sit down with the metronome, play the same three string pattern over and over, work my way up to triplets at ~130 bpm, and then give up. I've been able to brute force my way through every other guitar problem, but something about sweeping just eludes me.

It's dumb because I don't even think sweeps sound that cool or that I would even use them in my music if I could play them perfectly, but the fact that I can't play them pisses me off.

Edit: Anybody have extra wide/padded guitar straps that you like? I've just sort of accumulated plain straps over the years, but between my LP and my new bass, I think it's time to invest in something that doesn't kill my shoulder.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 8, 2018

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

darkwasthenight posted:

Nope, they're nice. Fiddly to set up at first if you aren't used to offsets, but they're solid guitars.

it'd be my first electric

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

landgrabber posted:

If the mere sight of one makes you want to play guitar, go for it asap. That’s more important than any other aspect.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

landgrabber posted:

Yeah, having spent the past few hours playing my Jazzmaster, I can attest that offsets are great and worth the fiddliness. What drew you to that guitar in particular?

The only problem I have with it currently is that it makes my fretting hand smell like cat food, despite neither the guitar nor the case smelling that way. :iiam:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Lester Shy posted:

Edit: Anybody have extra wide/padded guitar straps that you like? I've just sort of accumulated plain straps over the years, but between my LP and my new bass, I think it's time to invest in something that doesn't kill my shoulder.

I use this one: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/neotech-super-ax-strap/367500000001000
Nice and comfortable, but the length is pretty short. I think the "Mega Ax Strap" is longer.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

After The War posted:

Yeah, having spent the past few hours playing my Jazzmaster, I can attest that offsets are great and worth the fiddliness. What drew you to that guitar in particular?

The only problem I have with it currently is that it makes my fretting hand smell like cat food, despite neither the guitar nor the case smelling that way. :iiam:

i like that they're super clean by default but they adhere to texture really well, i like being able to distort stuff and gently caress it up but go way back to basics when that starts to get clasutrophobic.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

7.25" radius on Fenders - for cork sniffers, real players or both?

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

What makes offsets fiddly? Never played one.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Southern Heel posted:

Bad and sucks and should stay in the past

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lester Shy posted:

i splurged on one of those super wide padded levy's straps once

it's definitely comfortable but unless you're under 5'3" you're basically limited to beatles bridge at nipple height

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Gorgar posted:

i assumed it was because squier, not neccessarily because offset

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Gorgar posted:

The bridge is usually the first thing to be replaced. The old offset bridge saddle design is pretty outdated and can give you problems if you have heavy technique or light strings.

The floating trem can take a bit of getting used to and with the vintage bridges you'll get tuning issues, although you can lock off the Fender versions for down only action. The electronics are unusual.

Honestly they're not actually that bad, but they got a rep as being 'difficult' for years because there weren't the amount of upgrade parts we currently have and they're not as simple as a telecaster. That's why they got picked up by the grunge guys when they were all being sold cheap.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Southern Heel posted:

i didn't really notice it, tbh.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Southern Heel posted:

Yngwie seems to do ok on ‘em. Got one myself and honestly don’t notice much difference between that and a more modern 9.5...

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Gorgar posted:

The original bridge/trem on Jazzmasters was a mess for stability/intonation unless it was set up in just the right way, and they were usually set up incorrectly.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

maybe i'll get a strat instead in the case

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

landgrabber posted:

maybe i'll get a strat instead in the case

Do it!!! Strats are the best.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Kilometers Davis posted:

Do it!!! Strats are the best.

Until you get around to buying a Tele, that is.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Lumpy posted:

Until you get around to buying a Tele, that is.

teles are too textured, even the clean signal feels encased in a little bit of a sheen that's difficult to cut past, almost. also i'm a sucker for surf green

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Professor Science posted:

The original bridge/trem on Jazzmasters was a mess for stability/intonation unless it was set up in just the right way, and they were usually set up incorrectly.

Weren't they meant to be really good and stable when set up properly though? Like wasn't that what the whole design was about